From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2370
Date: Tuesday, December 14, 2004 7:20 PM

From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "Jeff" <usa_djs_at_dml_webtv.net>

From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

From: Matt <dmc4matt_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "bluemax86" <massimot_at_dml_rushmore.com>

From: Hank <heskin_at_dml_gmail.com>

From: "jmlaux83" <jmlaux83_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "Tom Watkins" <dmctom_at_dml_earthlink.net>

From: "JSJB100" <jsjb100_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

From: "Bruce Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

From: Holler <thehauntfactory_at_dml_att.net>

From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net>

From: JDub <doki_pen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

From: JDub <doki_pen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "mydmc5898" <mydmc5898_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "gjl463" <gjlednicky_at_dml_comcast.net>

From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

24. Re: Reverse Lights
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

25. RE: This can't be correct....
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 17:59:29 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: magazines

Everyone will chime in and say that Houston's version "DELOREANS" is not
much more than a catalog and any of their tech articles only concentrate on
their new products.
However it is very nicely done and looks good but they run about $9 an issue
I think.

Gullwing was the first of the "new" magazines out that were put in color.
"DeLorean Car Show" which came out shortly after was supposed be only
to promote Ken's car shows and related stories while GULLWING was supposed
concentrate on more personal stories and tech articles.
The two have virtually become one as it is hard to tell the two apart.
They both have a lot of the same ads, and the same type of articles but just
different enough to make them both interesting.
There is only one way to do a magazine like this, and they are both doing it
right.

I have subscriptions to all 3 of them, .... ok so I am spending over $100 a
year
for all these publications, but I am supporting the DeLorean community by
not only
supporting the people who make the magazines, but this in turn supports the
vendors
who advertise in these magazines as well as supporting events that they
announce.
It gives a face to DeLorean owners out there that we see writing on the DML
and elsewhere
as well as gives some great information.

....and these are not throw away newspapers!
Each one of these is a glossy full color book that is a rare DeLorean
collectable that will
be treasured in years to come - just like early copies of "DeLorean World"
and others.

With all that said, get a subscription to both GULLWING and DSC and get all
the back issues
while you still can.
You will thank yourself later when you enjoy them.

- Videobob
VIN#5278

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 00:22:25 -0000
From: "Jeff" <usa_djs_at_dml_webtv.net>
Subject: Dream Car!

I put an album in the photo area under MY DREAM CAR which is a photo of myself in one of my favorite automobiles, that one day I hope to own.  Thanks JEFF

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 02:44:34 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Tire Replacement

Remember - It's Tire Rack PLUS mounting and balancing at an
installer - usually $20.00 a tire plus any disposal fee for the old
tires of $2-5. Most independent garages I deal with cannot match
tire rack for price and brand selection except for the major US
brands like Goodyear, Cooper, etc. that I've priced. So, you have to
check around if you want the best deal vs generating the most
goodwill with the installer.

Harold McElraft - 3354

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 06:41:34 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Michelin seems to call a lot of tires "Pilots". Are these Pilot
Sports or something else (H-something)? The Sports are noisy,
expensive and don't last very long, at least on my M3. I think the
DeLorean size is in a different and somewhat more long-lived line.

I've driven a couple of DeLoreans on no-name tires (Cooper, , low-
line Goodyear etc) and honestly think they ride nicer in everyday
driving than my Yokos. But you will give up some handling capability
(more understeer).

Dave S

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_s...>
wrote:

> I'll jump in here, Shannon.  I've got the Pilots on my car and I
drive the bejesus out of it.  I've got roughly 21,000 miles on these
tires and I can't really notice much wear at all.  --Maybe some mild
wear on the edges from my happy-fun-time hard cornering, but that's
it.

> I can't speak for the Cobras, but I can bet that as long as you
have no suspension problems and are in alignment, you won't be
disappointed with the Michelin's.  For what it's worth, I've got a
good deal of snow, ice, and rain driving on them as well as dry
pavement.

Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 21:05:09 -0800 (PST)
From: Matt <dmc4matt_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Tire Replacement / SIZES

Hi Everybody,

My DeLorean currently is riding on Dunlop G/T Qualifiers.

Front: P195/60 R14 85S
Rear: P245/60 R15 100S

I know the rears are not the correct 235's, but I can't complain about the tires that are on it. I could tell the tires were near new when I got the car in August of 2004, so I see no need to replace them soon.

Black Interior
Automatic

nicholden_at_dml_yahoo.com wrote:

Hi, I too will be shopping for tyres soon so all the info is of
interest but what size tyres does everyone use? I know the standard
is 235/60 but on mine when i got it were 255/60. I have never driven
the car yet so i cant comment on how the wider tyre effects the
ride/performance. Been a 255 and still a 60 side wall rating it would
have a larger rolling diameter, but would this be significant enough
to effect acceleration ???? The extra width definatly looks great
under the guards.

For those of you not familiar with trye markings they are as follows:
A 235/60 means that the tyre is 235 mm wide and the height of the
side wall is 60% of the width (235mm). So a 255/60 would be a larger
tyre in diameter, to achieve almost the same rolling diameter as a
235/60 it would have to be a 255/55.

Cheers Nick - 10927

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 05:24:20 -0000
From: "bluemax86" <massimot_at_dml_rushmore.com>
Subject: Re: What's with the glug glug noise?

I am having the same problem, but my situation is a little different.
I have a twin turbo with dual exhaust. When I first bought the car it
made the glug glug noise on deceleration. I sent the car to PJ GRady
for some work on the car and he fixed the problem. Recently I had my
turbos rebuilt and changed the cat's and exhaust tips with new ones. I
also replaced the O2 sensor with a new one. Now I get a slight glug
glug noise on deceleration.

Also in response to Davids prior email, I use Mobile 1 15w50 oil,
never had any oils leaks on the turbos. I change my oil every 2,000
miles or every 6 months, more often than not it's every 6 months as I
only have 13,000 miles on the car. One time I accidently used 5W15 (or
5W50 can't remember) and the oil just seaped out, on the way to PF it
sprayed out everywhere.

Max
VIN 4819

Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 22:52:46 -0500
From: Hank <heskin_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: a humble opinion

I usually reply "You can find them on ebay - take a look next time."

That leaves it mysterious enough that they'll assign whatever value
they think it's worth (alot!); it makes it clear that I'm not going to
directly answer the question; and finally, it makes people think that
they are with reach of "normal" people, but they still don't know just
how much within reach.

If they go home and look up the $10k-$20k D's on ebay - well, they
answered their own question..  but I doubt if one in ten people
actually look it up, and are left with thinking the car is worth alot
more than it is, simply because I refuse to disclose it.

-Hank

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 03:32:25 -0000
From: "jmlaux83" <jmlaux83_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: replace accumulator?

Should I replace my accumulator. My car did have bad gas sitting in
for a while before I flushed everything out. Everything was replaced
on the fuel system besides the Accumulator frequency Valve and warm
up regulator. I just want to make sure that the accumulator isn't
putting any crap in my tank. I have had no other problems with it.
Its just something plugged up the new fuel pump I put in a couple of
months back and I was wondering if it could have been from the
Accumulator.

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 07:20:50 -0500
From: "Tom Watkins" <dmctom_at_dml_earthlink.net>
Subject: Magazines

Each magazine has it's own style and approach.   I buy all of them (deloreans, Gullwing and DCS)  yeah.....they are a bit expensive as compared to a "regular" magazine but then again the circulation is quite limited.    It's more of a support thing to be honest with you.  Also it's just fun getting it in the mail!   Each zine has lots of great info, articles and tips to make it fresh and interesting.   DW magazine opted to change formats into more of a lifestyle, travel magazine aimed less at the technical and new parts so I don't subcribe to it.....It's also alot more than all the others.  Some are put off by the political aspects of the DOA and choose not to support it at this time.

Tom Watkins
dmctom_at_dml_earthlink.net
Why Wait? Move to EarthLink.

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 14:04:47 -0000
From: "JSJB100" <jsjb100_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: 2005 calendar

Hi Group

I'm looking at my 2004 DMC calendar. Does anyone know if a 2005
calendar is being produced?  I get some of the DMC mags and didn't
see any announcements!

Happy Holiday

Joe B.
VIN 2957
Outtatym

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 08:25:26 -0800 (PST)
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Tire Replacement

Yeah, I realized after sending that message that I should have been more specific.  The tires I run are the Pilot XGT H4.

To me, cheap tires are no more quiet than my Michelins, but I found them scary to drive on.  Hard cornering/braking on dry pavement gave me a really uneasy "sliding" feeling --something I'm not used to happening on my car.  They just didn't grip close to as well as the Pilots.

Jake Kamphoefner

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 11:22:54 -0600
From: "Bruce Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

Larger diameters tires have the same effect as a higher ratio final drive.
Since the DeLorean's final drive is already pretty tall you would have
better acceleration with 245/50 series tires. A 245/50 series tire will
rotate 847 rpm's at 50 MPH. A 245/60 series rotates 786 rpm's at 50 MPH. The
original Delorean rear size 235/60 rotates at 801 rpm's at 50 MPH. You can
see how changing tire sizes can affect more than just handling.

Bruce Benson

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 12:22:18 -0500
From: Holler <thehauntfactory_at_dml_att.net>

Concerning the vast numbers of DeLorean related magazines out there, the
cost, and which one is 'bestest'. . .
Most folks pay more for a meal out, than what an issue costs.
And another perspective check-
If there are two good scary movies out there, and you like scary movies,
why choose only one?
Just my twisted opinion.
Oliver Holler

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 09:32:16 -0800
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net>

Hi Gang,
    Many thanks for all the ideas and experiences on tire replacement.  I
got a total of 26 replies and everyone has their own preferences.   Actually
I don't really have much of a choice, as I cannot go to another town with
the D right now so need to deal locally. It is a small town so choices are
limited.  I have dealt with Les Schwab for a long time with a lot of cars,
motorhomes and have always been happy with their options and service.
    I went to WalMart and they only could get the front tires....Sears could
get them both but were quite a bit higher. .....neither could get Pirelli's.
I wanted local service so did not try Cooper or Dunlop or any of the other
brands suggested.
    A few minutes ago I ordered the Michelin Pilot HGT-4's.  They match as
to tread and sidewalls, where as Pirelli's did not match in tread.    They
will be here in three days and are in stock......the price was $590.71.
Grand total including new valve stems, wheel spin balance and mounting and
sales tax.  AND I only have to go a mile to get them!
    I am not concerned any more, about handling in the wet or snow or even
at high speeds....just a comfortable ride.  I suspect after 23 years and 8k
miles on the NCT's, ANYTHING  would be a lot better!  We will see and I will
report!
    Many thanks to all you guys for the reports and ideas...It was very much
appreciated.
    Murray
    Vin: 05962
    Lic: DMC-XII
    murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 09:49:16 -0800 (PST)
From: JDub <doki_pen_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: This can't be correct....

Ya know, the whole time I've had my "D" I've never
investigated why the steering column doesn't telescope
up and down.  Well yesterday I believe I found out
why.  Apparently someone welded a metal bracket from
the lower end of the steering column and attached it
to the firewall with a nut and bolt.  I'm %99 sure
this isn't stock, but please correct me if I'm wrong.
I suspect that maybe this was a feeble attempt at
fixing a broken lower steering column bushing or
something?  I wouldn't know because I don't know what
would be correct down there.

I can take a picture of this interesting finding if
anyone wants to see it.

I will attempt to repair this properly to bring it
back to original specs.  Any help on what should be
there is appreciated. Thanks guys.

Jon

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 14:42:24 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: RE: This can't be correct....

Jon,

A picture would be very helpful but from your description it doesn't appear
to be a factory install or upgrade.
Reference the parts manual "Steering Column 5/2/1" for details on the OEM
set up.

DMC Joe

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 20:10:30 -0000
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: In Remembrance

Group,
We never know when it's going to happen.

Jonas Pitchford of Baton Rouge, La.  29 years old and a Delorean
owner I just found out passed away from a drowning accident in late
June of this year from his Grandfather.
Even though he was a avid swimmer and worked off shore on an oil rig
he would call in and we talked about what he wanted to do to his car
next. Since there was no autopsy performed they feel he ran out of
air in the diving tanks and couldn't get up fast enough.
Say a prayer for the parents and grand parents and remember him in
your Christmas prayers as well as your own.
I'll miss him telling me about the adventures of working off shore
on the oil rigs.

Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 00:16:52 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Tire Replacement / SIZES

When you do not use the tire size listed on the tire label in the car
you are completely "on your own". The car was designed to use a
particular type and size tire. When you change it you can have
clearance problems, the speedometer may no longer be accurate, ride
and handling may be adversly affected. On more modern cars you will
upset the traction control and ABS systems. The Delorean isn't that
picky but it may not handle the way you would expect under extreme
conditions such as a panic stop. The only reason I can think of that
someone would not put the correct tire on the car is because they went
somewhere and the correct size was not in stock. As hard as it may be
to take a perfectly good set of tires off, in the intersts of safety
you should consider it.

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 23:25:29 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

> I've driven a couple of DeLoreans on no-name tires (Cooper, , low-
> line Goodyear etc) and honestly think they ride nicer in everyday
> driving than my Yokos. But you will give up some handling
capability
> (more understeer).
>
> Dave S

I have a set of Cooper Cobra GT's on my D. And I can tell you that
they have improved the handling of my car, in comparison to the Yoko
AVS Intermediates. My braking distance is not only shorter, but is
more controlled with no side to side motion. And they handle VERY
well in both rain, mud, and the bit of snow I've encountered on the
street, & in the mountains. All this with a shot, 20 year-old
suspension.

As you've seen with other posts, the streets of Vegas are very oily,
becaise our lack of rainfall here never gets the chance to wash them
off. In the Yokos, I've spun my D around corners, from a dead-stop,
while riding the clutch. I've never had this problem since with the
Coopers. Not once. But I've got more reasons to endorse the Coopers.

When you choose a tire set, you need to go by more than just price,
and name-brand recognition. Start reading those sidewalls, and find
out just what they mean.

http://coopertires.com/us/en/information/info-sidewall.asp

The Coopers have a "B" temperature wear rating. This means that while
they don't disperse heat as quickly as an "A" rated tire, they do
disperse heat twice as fast as what they govt. rating reccomends.
This also means that they retain more heat in the winter, and will
remain more sticky than those Michelin Pilot XGT H4s. Being the
highest rating, isn't always the best thing for your application.

Traction is rated at the same between these tires, but the treadwear
tests show that the Coopers will last longer _at_dml_ 440, than the
Michelins _at_dml_ only 400. Plus the tread depth is deeper on the Coopers,
as is the load rating.

Overall, the only advantage the Michelins have over the Coopers, are
speed rating: 118 mph on the Coopers, 130mph Michelin. But I
seriously doubt that anyone is going to get up that fast, so the
difference of 12mph really won't matter. But having exceeded that
speed on my own tires, I can tell you that they held up fine with no
chunking, or cracking. I've also hit curbs, rubbed against them, and
routinely corner hard on a daily basis. And the sidewalls have held
up just fine, with no damage. Warranties are varied between the two,
but even overall. The life of the tires are either stated at 50K
miles for Coopers, or 6 years for Michelins.

Cooper Cobra G/Ts seem to have a more solid following from what I've
personally seen, and from reviews online. The Michelins are all over
the place though. I also prefer the Cooper treads, over the Michelin
ones. Coopers continue deep sipes out to the sidewalls for hard
cornering. Plus, the grooves are all in an even direction, so that
the water can flow out quicker, as it gets push out from the center
tread. Plus, they're half the cost. I picked mine up at a little "mom
& pop" shop. $330 out the door. And that included tax, mounting, and
disposal. It took 3 days for them to arrive, and there were no
additional shipping fees.

p.s. Here are the links for those who'd like a side by side
comparison.

http://coopertires.com/us/en/ProductDetails.asp?
ProdType=Passenger&id=11&title=Passenger+Tires

http://www.michelinman.com/assets/pdfs/doc_pilotxgth4.pdf

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 16:28:31 -0800 (PST)
From: JDub <doki_pen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Here are some pictures of the column and also of the
hole it passes through.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/doki_pen/album?.dir=/ad11&.src=ph&.tok=ph8viNCBahu6qSpU

Lemme know what you think?

Jon

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 23:04:57 -0000
From: "mydmc5898" <mydmc5898_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Auto parts are ready to go

The parts are out!!! My car is under going a conversion from the
automatic to the 5-speed set up. I also have two extra parts I did
not need, I bought them and also my mechanic had these so I didn't
need these two parts: Clutch Plate which on Pj Grady goes for
$124.69, however they are used so I just want a reasonable offer,
also is the Clutch Press Plate O.E.M. $243.75 Bearing Clu Release
$68.08.

The automatic parts are as fallows: HOSE, FLUID COOLER 1 $36.39
FLEXPLATE 1 $317.15 HOUSING,A/T SHIFTER 1 $38.34 QUADRANT TOP PLATE
100689 * SLIDE A/QUADRANT 1 $9.93 * DECAL,A/T 1 $7.75 * 110082
QUADRANT,LOWER PLATE 1 * PEDALBOX ASSY. A/T Pedal Box $345.49 1
110134 DIPSTICK, A/T 1 $38.84 DIPSTICK TUBE, A/T 1 $48.93

These aren't my prices just something to go by. All the parts have
around 37k miles on them except the 5-speed ones they are unknown.

* these parts I didn't get back yet, so I don't know the condition
of them once I get them I will post them again.

You can reach me at DeLorean170(at)aol.com, my cell 570-328-1363 or
home at 570-331-8456.

Thanks for looking, Darryl VIN 5898

Possibly Friday after a long 9 months my car will hit the road
again, this time as a 5-speed, hopefully its all just minor problems
from now on.

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 21:53:46 -0000
From: "gjl463" <gjlednicky_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Reverse Lights

I need some help please.  My reverse lights have stopped working.  I
have checked the fuse, bulbs and tailight boards and can't figure it
out.  What am I missing here?  It's probably something simple ;)
Any advice or tips?

Thanks!
Greg
Seattle

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 20:03:34 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: RE: Reverse Lights

Greg,

There are two possible causes of a no reverse light condition. You either
have a bad connection at the reverse light switch or the switch is
defective. Because of its location (Parts Manual 4/1/1 #31)these switches
have a high failure rate. Fortunately they are easy to change and fairly
inexpensive.

DMC Joe

Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 00:39:27 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Yep - the reverse light switch and/or its wiring. Screws into the side
of the transmission.

Martin

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 20:15:09 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

Jon,

Good job on the pictures. As you suspected it appears that an attempt was
made to arrest wobbling condition of the column due to a disintegrated
steering column bushing.

DMC Joe