From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2372
Date: Thursday, December 16, 2004 3:39 PM

1. Re: Tire Replacement
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. RE: Re: Tire Replacement
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>

3. Re: Lighting Problems
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

4. Re: Dream Car!
From: "trekkerlb_at_dml_netzero.com" <TrekkerLB_at_dml_Netzero.Com>

5. RE: Lighting Problems
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

6. Questions on automatic transmissions
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. DMC houston video question
From: "Jay Gosciniak" <gotojayjay_at_dml_aol.com>

8. Re: Tire Replacement
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

9. Re: Questions on automatic transmissions
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

10. RE: Questions on automatic transmissions
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

11. Re: Questions on automatic transmissions
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

12. DeLorean Car Show Magazine
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

13. Turn signal loads for LED's
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 02:54:02 -0000
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Tire Replacement

 With all this talk regarding to tire size, sidewall flex tire height,
etc,,, and their overall road handling characteristics, how would
DMCH's new rim and tire package factor into the handling of the car?
Both stock and lowered? Is it an overall improvement or just hot air?

Harry Vin #2696

Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 16:56:49 -0600
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Tire Replacement

I did once (W.O.T.) on I-10 in the middle of no where TX.

When I did slow down to the speed limit, it seemed like I was crawling.

Scott Mueller
Cubmaster P-133

To be kept up to date on what is happening in our district and council, take
a minute to join the Roundtable mailing list. Just follow this link.

Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 03:50:24 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Lighting Problems

Sounds like there is a power distribution problem from the fuse. Is
the fuse powered? You will probably get a solution quickest by
beginning a point-to-point test along the power distribution
connections and then the grounds. Start at the source - the battery -
 and begin testing along the distribution wires for the break.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Michael & Denise" <luckeys71_at_dml_c...>
wrote:

> Once again I'm turning to the experts on the list to give me some
advice on a problem!  All of the lights except for the head light
are out on the left side of my vehicle.  This includes the side
markers, rear taillight, front turn signal, and left hand license
plate light.  I checked all of the fuses and they're good so I must
be overlooking something obvious-perhaps a common ground
connection?  They were working before the recent frame replacement
so I know it's just a matter of tracing the problem but so far it
has me stumped.  Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly
appreciated!

Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 00:23:01 GMT
From: "trekkerlb_at_dml_netzero.com" <TrekkerLB_at_dml_Netzero.Com>
Subject: Re: Dream Car!

This post encouraged me to put a couple of shots of 3723  enjoy.
To keep the pictures bearable I stayed out!

Luis & 3723

Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 21:35:06 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

Mike,

Based on your description your problem is at the fuse block at fuse #2
position. If you have replaced the fuse with a known good fuse the problem
is probably related the fuse #2 receptacle. If after investigating the
foregoing the problem is not corrected contact me for further trouble
shooting procedures.

DMC Joe

Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 15:19:41 -0800 (PST)
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Questions on automatic transmissions

Hey everyone,

A couple questions.  I never really paid any attention
to it, but I was wondering how a ideal working
automatic transmission shifts.  Obviously,
1st->2nd->3rd, but what is its behavior?  Is it
supposed to shift really hard and firmly, or does it
shift softly like todays modern cars where one can
barely feel a shift at all?  Would a change in
temperature (summer vs winter weather) have a effect
on the shifting patterns?  Also, when the automatic
transmission downshifts, should you be able to really
feel the downshifts or should it be really smooth and
almost unnoticeable?  My car shifts up very firmly,
and it downshifts from 2nd to 1st very firmly, but I
don't really detect any downshifting from 3rd to 2nd.

One last thing.  Lately with the morning temperature
in the mid 20's, I've noticed a high-pitched whine
when going from first to second.  This is if the car
is driven with no warm-up idle time.  Today, I let it
warm up to about 160 degrees, and it doesn't make this
noise driving down the street with warm up time.  Is
this anything to take note about, or is this just how
the car behaves when driven from a dead cold start in
25 degrees?

Thank you for your time.

Jeremiah

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 20:45:55 -0600
From: "Jay Gosciniak" <gotojayjay_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: DMC houston video question

On one of your guy's websites had the video from channel 11 KHOU in Texas
interviewing Steve Wynne, of DMC Texas. He said that he was planning to hand
build some new cars in a couple years. I was wondering how He could do this.
I mean isn't there new pollution standards out there? How about the VIN
sequence? I thought this was puzzling when I saw this. I hope someone can
clear this up for me. Thanks!       - Jay G.

Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 09:33:12 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_y...> wrote:

>  With all this talk regarding to tire size, sidewall flex tire height,
> etc,,, and their overall road handling characteristics, how would
> DMCH's new rim and tire package factor into the handling of the car?
> Both stock and lowered? Is it an overall improvement or just hot air?
>
> Harry Vin #2696

DMCH doesn't make any claims that these tires improve handling in any
way. They only state that they happen to have the correct wheel
offsets (think spacers), so that the footprints of the new tires will
match right up to where the stock ones are.

A great advantage to them would be that they use more common tire
sizes, if you are not satisfied with the somewhat limted selection you
have with the stock wheels.

Me personally, I do not care for the design of these wheels. But
that's just me. They remind me of BTTF3 too much... These are
something that I'd only want a rear set of wheels for, so that I could
choose my own tires, and slip a couple of drag slicks onto, so that I
could swap them out at the track on race night. I wouldn't wear them
around town. But hey, that's just me. I love the visual pattern that
the stock wheels create when they spin.

I don't know how the lower profile tires such as these would affect
the handling of the DeLorean. Do the improve performance, because they
limt sidewall flex? Or would the hinder it, because less flex would
mean less shock absorbsion from the inertia of the engine when the car
flys around a corner, and cause the tires to lose grip easier? Unless
DMCH had like a test track, where we could swap these on our
individual cars to test them, it's kinda hard to tell...

Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 04:41:19 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Questions on automatic transmissions

Soft shifts may be nice for the occupants of the vehicle but they are
hard on the clutches inside the transmission. First off check the
fluid level as per the manual. Then check the line pressure. If it
still whines I would either clean or replace the filter. The shifts
should be "noticeable" but the 2-3 upshift is usually softer than the
1-2 upshift. Watch the tach, you will see when the trans shifts.
Downshifts tend to be rougher, with the 3-2 again being softer than
the 2-1 downshift. If the shifts seem to be erratic and you get
downshifts out of nowhere you need to do something with the shift
computer. Do not continue to drive the car if it whines. This could
mean the filter is plugged up and the line pressure is low which will
wipe out your clutches in no time. It could also be the fluid level is
low and the pump is sucking air. Different problem but same result,
burnt clutch packs! If the cold is affecting the whining I would tend
to suspect the filter is either bad or plugged up. There is a
procedure over at dmcnews.com in the tech section on cleaning the filter.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_y...>

Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 12:45:35 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

Jeremiah,

I'll let our auto trans owners answer the first part of your question.
Concerning the "high-pitched whine" this is typical of worn AC pulley
bearings (Parts Manual 7/2/1 #3 X 2). To check these bearings simply spin
them by hand, they should spin smoothly with no free play. You can
temporarily quiet them down with a small shot of WD-40 or machine oil. Be
sure not to get any of the lubricant on the drive belt.

DMC Joe

Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 12:28:12 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

An accurately setup auto shifts nice and smooth hot or cold - in
really cold weather the shifts are a little smoother - almost
unnoticeable - warmed up - noticeable but smooth - no banging or
jerking. I notice the change in engine sound more than anything
along with more getup, especially at WOT. Never notice down shifting
at coasting to stops or stopping. Down shifting from throttle
response is firm but smooth and up shift the same - I try never to
let the trans have to go through two gear shifts at once - i.e.
first to third or third to first (I just visualize too much stuff
going on in there for the by-pass of gears to be good for it).

To get what I consider a really smooth trans took me a few years of
working with an auto trans that was abused in its early years and
run for some time with the computer screwed up.

Three critical adjustments: The trans throttle cable, the computer
working correctly and the vacuum module. And, the engine has to be
working and idling correctly. In terms of problem areas I'd say
first computer, then engine running correctly, throttle adjustment,
vacuum module. Last, trans internals.

The whine - is it in first or at the shift 1-2 only? That sounds
like a trans filter clogged up or air in the system. Have you
serviced the trans lately? The harsh down shift is a symptom of a
faulty computer but an engine with a fast idle or slow to idle
symptom will cause a similar issue.

Diagnosing a D trans is really an art as much as a science in my
experience. But, you have to be sure you're dealing with one problem
not two or more. That requires checking everything one at a time.

Harold McElraft - 3354

Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 09:13:34 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DeLorean Car Show Magazine

Hi
Those of you that have ordered Vol 2 Issue 1 have been great in your
response.
The Bob Gale article got the most response and Bob and I thank you for  that.

The center poster with 117 licence plates may never be duplicated again so
if you missed that you may have missed a part of history.  The Pigeon forge
show was the largest DeLorean  Car Show ever.

Well believe it or not we are starting the spring issue and would like more
articles from individuals or groups.

We have room for about 4 more articles and if we get more well we just will
have to make the magazine bigger,

Remember the only way to keep the history is to write it down
and we encourage participation from owners

We have some exciting news for you all on Pheasant run and it will be
released in the next issue.

We like to have articles from new owners and why you got your D
so please forward them to us either by e-mail or snail mail
Pictures should be 300 dpi but we can use less if they are clear.

regular photos can be sent or scanned.

thanks

Ken
DeLorean Car Show Magazine

Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 16:04:17 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Turn signal loads for LED's

Hi all,

I'm not trying to reignite the "great LED debate" but while browsing
for my own purchases I found a resistive load kit for installing
LED's in turn signals so that everything blinks correctly.

It's inexpensive, seems easy to install. You wouldn't have to solder
any resistors to anything. Here's the link, scroll down about 2/3 of
the page:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/1157.htm

I have no affiliation with the vendor whatsoever. I'm just passing
on the info.

Rich A.