From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2376
Date: Saturday, December 18, 2004 2:53 PM

1. Amazing stainless repair WAS: Let's talk about that infamous fender.
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Centering the air meter plate
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

3. Re: Kids these days (a short DeLorean story)
From: Mere Carson <gullwing_gurl89_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Re: Going keyless (push-button start)
From: "M. P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>

5. Re: VIN 4715 ripp off ?
From: "zeilner0" <zeilner0_at_dml_yahoo.de>

6. Re: Centering the air meter plate
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

7. Re: Questions on automatic transmissions
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

8. Re: Centering the air meter plate
From: Jeff Phillips <rvparty_at_dml_gmail.com>

9. Re: replace accumulator?
From: Jeff Phillips <rvparty_at_dml_gmail.com>

10. Re: Going keyless (push-button start)
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 02:10:17 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Amazing stainless repair WAS: Let's talk about that infamous fender.

Just a good example of how the rare stainless panels can be repaired
in the right hands of those skilled working with stainless. Very
impressive results.

Have a look:

http://deloreansforsale.com/Delorean%20Page%20Files/projects.htm

http://deloreansforsale.com/Delorean%20Page%20Files/custom_work.htm

This one here is pretty amazing...

http://deloreansforsale.com/Delorean%20Page%20Files/Reskinning_Of_Gullwing_Door.htm

So don't drive around in complete fear, worst case, you can ship the
fender or panel off, have it repaired and reinstall it.

Get out and drive.

Joe OBrien

Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 04:25:41 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: Centering the air meter plate

I took apart my air venturi to clean it, and that's it!

OK, no, I lie.  I also powdercoated it silver.  Everything seems to
have gone well, except that now I'm unsure how "centered" the air
metering plate is supposed to be.  I realize it's not supposed to
(and can't) provide a vacuum seal with the rest of the surrounding
assembly.

Reading the archive, I determined that you can have a "too rich"
condition if the plate isn't centered properly.  I can loosen the
center bolt, and adjust it to the point where it's so "centered,"
that when placed on a level surface the plate actually rises out and
above the surrounding edge by a few millimeters.  Should the central
bolt come into contact with the rubber "stopper" that hangs overhead
when the plate is centered at rest?

Previously, the plate was adjusted by the previous owner(s) so that
it slightly rubbed along the edge toward the fuel distributor.  This
made it stop even with the surrounding edge, but that doesn't seem to
fit the description of "centered" to me.

What do the folks here on the DML think?

thanks,

Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 08:42:43 -0800 (PST)
From: Mere Carson <gullwing_gurl89_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Kids these days (a short DeLorean story)

--- Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:

> Remember back before the BTF movies? All the
> comments were about "coke".

<snip>

 LOL, in my neighborhood ( the ghetto) no one has
really heard about the Delorean and because of my
yelling when I saw one at the curb I drew attention,
but when I was walking back to my car, I overheard a
woman say ( excuse the poor grammar but this how she
sounded) " oooh dats dat car from dat movie.....what's
dat movie? Sumthin bout da future? HEY HE GOT A TIME
MACHINE Y'ALL!!!!" It was pretty sad. But yea if any
of you would like to know the whole story , feel free
to email me.
 Meredith

Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 16:00:05 -0000
From: "M. P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>
Subject: Re: Going keyless (push-button start)

Ryan,
     That wasn't me, but I did something similar.  I hit the car show
circuit pretty hard out here in Arizona and am always looking for
ways to trick things out or just show-off....:)  What I did was
purchase an aftermarket Honda S2000 start button from ebay.  It comes
with three tops: clear, red, and aqua/teal.  It also comes with its
own wiring harness and relay.  I chose to route it through the
ignition switch wiring so that when the car was off there would be no
possibility of cranking the starter.
     I removed my cigar lighter plug/outlet and set it in there.
I've got other 12V outlets around the car so I wasn't worried about
losing it.  Right next to it I put a guarded toggle switch.  I routed
the power through the guarded toggle so that the starter button would
only crank the starter when the guarded toggle was armed.  That way
some schmoe wouldn't hit the button saying, "What's this?" and either
start my car, make it lurch, or grind the starter if the car was
already running.

Hope this helps.  Please feel free to contact me off the list with
any questions.

Matthew
AZ-D VeeP
VIN 16816

Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 16:18:20 -0000
From: "zeilner0" <zeilner0_at_dml_yahoo.de>
Subject: Re: VIN 4715 ripp off ?

Hello Guys,

I deal with used cars in Austria, an in the past months I noticed
more cars like this Delorean. It is always a car with a usually very
high price like Mercedes, Audi,... I dont know how the ripp off
works but I am sure they just want to get money (or just an address
to get money). Please keep off offers without a phone number on
mobile.de!!

Gerhard VIN 3092

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_g...>
wrote:

> Guys does someone know VIN 4715 or the owner ?
>
> on www.mobile.de somebody offers a Delorean for 7000Euro.
> His german is bad, he seems to be more familiar with english.
>
> As this is a great offer, I contacted the guy. After my second
email
> he replied.
>

> He said something about the car being located in Rome, but the
(bad low
> resolution) pictures show that the car is located somewhere in the
US.

> I know that something is fake here and this guy wants to make a
fast buck.
> But does somebody know something about VIN 4715 ? Who is the real
owner ?
> Does he know that someone is sending pictures of the car to others
> pretending
> to sell it for a low price ?

<snip>

Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 16:44:47 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Centering the air meter plate

Loosen the bolt and center the plate. Make sure as it moves it does
not touch the sides of the venturi. It is not supposed to touch the
rubber bumper. That is only there in case of a backfire. The "rest
position" is adjusted by turning the nut next to the hole for the
mixture screw. The plate should be in the center of the venturi at the
smallest point in it's diameter several mm away from the rubber stop.
I hope you did not coat the plate or the venturi. That will affect things.

Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 16:46:51 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Questions on automatic transmissions

A small correction. The transmission IS purely mechanical. The torque
converter IS hydrostatic in that the power is coupled through it by
the transmission fluid.

Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 11:47:54 -0600
From: Jeff Phillips <rvparty_at_dml_gmail.com>

Just keep the plate unbound by contact with the sidewalls.  Aslong as
it can move freely without any friction you will be fine.  Where it
site with the engine off won't matter because once its running the
airflow will pull the plate to the propper position.  Mine does not
hit the rubber "stop", I'm not sure what its really there for.

Jeff
#10544

Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 11:08:07 -0600
From: Jeff Phillips <rvparty_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: replace accumulator?

Seeing how the accumulator is down stream of the fuel pump its not
likely that its clogging your fuel pump.  To do so the gunk would have
to travel through the fuel filter, through the control pressure
regulator and/or the warmup-regulator, back into the tank, and finally
sucked into the pump.  More likely culprit is the tank itself or the
return line.  Not knowing how you cleaned the system out, especuially
the tank, do a search of the archives on fuel tank cleaning as the
topic has come up a lot.

Jeff
#10544

Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 18:13:19 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

I don't actually remember anyone doing this, but I'll try and help
you along.

> 2. Where'd the button come from?

There are a number of "starter buttons" on e-bay, the nice ones that
come to mind are the ones made for the Honda S2000.

> 3. Do you supply power to the starter directly through the button,
> or is a relay used (and if so, any special type, or just a
standard 12
> volt sealed automotive relay)?

If you think about how the keyed ignition switch works, it supplies
power to the starter solenoid via the starter relay.  The button
works the same way.

The other things you'd have to think about are:

1.  Will your insurance cover you if you do this?
2.  How will you remove the steering lock?
3.  The stock ignition switch has 3 positions, while the starter
button would have 2.  Would you add another toggle switch to
simulate the key being in the "accessory position?"
4.  Will you provide any protection for accidently pressing the
button while the vehicle is already running?