From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2377
Date: Sunday, December 19, 2004 12:29 PM

1. Re: Centering the air meter plate
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

2. Re: Questions on automatic transmissions
From: "endotex23" <endotex23_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. RE: Centering the air meter plate
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

4. RE: Centering the air meter plate
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

5. AW: Re: VIN 4715 ripp off ?
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

6. Re: Going keyless (push-button start)
From: JDub <doki_pen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Re: DMC houston video question
From: Thomas Mc Auley <dmc4087_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

8. Mechanic in Greenville, SC area
From: "John Poland" <jpoland13_at_dml_charter.net>

9. Woodward Dream Cruise
From: "gullwing_gurl89" <gullwing_gurl89_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. ultimate "start" button source
From: Owen Emry <owen_at_dml_aerodrome.us>

11. Re: Centering the air meter plate
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

12. Re: DMC houston video question
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

13. RE: Re: Going keyless (push-button start)
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

14. Re: DMC houston video question
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

15. Thanks again to the group!
From: "Michael & Denise" <luckeys71_at_dml_cox.net>

16. Metal Steering Column Bushing?
From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>

17. Re: Centering the air meter plate
From: "endotex23" <endotex23_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. pictures of my air metering plate resting position
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

19. Re: Going keyless (push-button start)
From: "M. P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>

20. RE: Re: Going keyless (push-button start)
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

21. Re: Re: Questions on automatic transmissions
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. Re:Re: Questions on automatic transmission FLUID?
From: "Palatinus, Joe" <jopalatinus_at_dml_davidson.edu>

23. Re: DMC houston video question
From: "p12c16" <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

24. Re: DMC houston video question
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

25. Re: DMC houston video question
From: Thomas Mc Auley <dmc4087_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 18:23:19 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: Re: Centering the air meter plate

Nope, that's why I disassembled it.  I didn't powdercoat either the
swinging "arm" or the plate.  Just the outer non-moving stuff.

The adjustment I was looking for was the "rest position," so thanks
for describing how to do that.  It appears my air flow meter plate
was never calibrated correctly to begin with.

> Loosen the bolt and center the plate. Make sure as it moves it does
> not touch the sides of the venturi. It is not supposed to touch the
> rubber bumper. That is only there in case of a backfire. The "rest
> position" is adjusted by turning the nut next to the hole for the
> mixture screw. The plate should be in the center of the venturi at
the
> smallest point in it's diameter several mm away from the rubber
stop.
> I hope you did not coat the plate or the venturi. That will affect
things.

> --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_p...>
wrote:

> > I took apart my air venturi to clean it, and that's it!
> >
> > OK, no, I lie.  I also powdercoated it silver.  Everything seems
> > have gone well, except that now I'm unsure how "centered" the
air
> > metering plate is supposed to be.  I realize it's not supposed
> > (and can't) provide a vacuum seal with the rest of the
surrounding

Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 17:59:49 -0000
From: "endotex23" <endotex23_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Questions on automatic transmissions

>The power flow is EXCLUSIVELY through planetary gearsets and
clutches.<

I'm well aware of how auto tranny's work. I have formal training in
them and have worked on more than a few.

>This is NOT a hydrostatic transmission, ie, the fluid is NOT used to
transmit motive power.<

Incorrect. What do you think a torque converter does? It's a fluid
coupling. And how has GM refered to it's transmissions for years?
Your advice is usually sound but as with many do-it-yourselfers you
exhibit a lack of the formal and indepth technical training
professionals have. With all due respect I service all kinds of exotic
vehicles for a living. Do you?

I agree with you otherwise. The worst thing someone can do is to
ignore a problem because as with overhaul of all things what matters
is the condition of the core. I'm not speaking of core charges. I'm
speaking of the cost or feasability of rebuilding the core.

Greg

Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 12:47:51 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

The rubber stopper is there to keep the plate from going up to high in case
of a backfire.

Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 12:45:08 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Matt, The metering plate is very critical to the mixture but also to the
vacuum / air it moves. It will have to be adjusted to where you have a point
to point alignment.
Like this > -- <. John Hervey

Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 20:21:49 +0100
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: AW: Re: VIN 4715 ripp off ?

This guy sent me a bank account number of a swiss bank !

At the moment he is waiting for me to sent a copy of the
money transfer papers.

I'd like to warn people or better - see him paying for what
he trys to do !

Elvis

Hello Guys,

I deal with used cars in Austria, an in the past months I noticed
more cars like this Delorean. It is always a car with a usually very
high price like Mercedes, Audi,... I dont know how the ripp off
works but I am sure they just want to get money (or just an address
to get money). Please keep off offers without a phone number on
mobile.de!!

Gerhard VIN 3092

Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 13:10:19 -0800 (PST)
From: JDub <doki_pen_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Going keyless (push-button start)

Ryan, how's it going? I'm not sure of the specific
button you're talking about but I know a company named
pivot makes some really nice ones.  Their website is
www.pivotusa.com.  They have a couple of different
kinds.  One of them lets you program in a button
sequence so the car will only start when the button is
pushed in that exact sequence.  Pretty slick.
Anyways, hope it helps.

Jon

Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 21:18:35 +0000 (GMT)
From: Thomas Mc Auley <dmc4087_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Re: DMC houston video question

With loads of replica De Loreans driving about, it would make our cars less special....If DMCH do start modifying original De Loreans, then they arent original anymore, and not a De Lorean.

Thomas
Vin 4087

cbl1739 <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Here in Connecticut we have a car company called ERA COBRA,that
manufactures replica AC Cobras GT40's and others,they are world
reknown,(I took a tour of their facilities(and cars) and came out
VERY impressed)and they make turn key cars or complete rolling
cars,which just needs your drivetrain.My point here is that there is
NO reason that DMCH cannot manfacture Deloreans in the same fashion
(with the option of fiberglass body panels)with your choice of
drivetrain(within limits)or just rolling cars,since they have the
factory equipment to make the fiberglass black bodies,that part would
not be a problem,then using thr Pierce SS frame under their
bodies,and either fiberglass panels(easy to make)or SS panels or even
aluminum body panels,and your choice of different drivetrains,NOW you
have the Delorean that should have been..By the way their complete
rolling GT40's (without drivetrain) retailed for $78,000,so that a
well made DeloreanII,remanufactured as a supercar should fetch appox.
the same amount.Expecally since MOST people outside the Delorean
community assume DMCH IS THE orignal Delorean motor company!! AND I
could almost guarentee that JZD would promote it,if it would
happen,mark my word on that,as I WAS the first person to figure out
that, DMC watch inciedent was a JZD thing(check the back archives).

Claude
No vin

<snip>

Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 20:26:41 -0000
From: "John Poland" <jpoland13_at_dml_charter.net>
Subject: Mechanic in Greenville, SC area

Looking for a mechanic in the Greenville, SC area.  Any info would
be appreciated.

Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 19:34:29 -0000
From: "gullwing_gurl89" <gullwing_gurl89_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Woodward Dream Cruise

Hey there everyone,

 I was wondering if anyone would be interested in bringing their D to the
Woodward Dream cruise next year sometime in August. It's in the ferndale,
royal oak, and pontiac areas of Michigan and if anyone would be interested
please lemme know. I would like to ride in the cruise if anyone would be
willing to have me with them. So let me know whoever is interested thanx!!!

 Meredith

Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 14:01:26 -0800
From: Owen Emry <owen_at_dml_aerodrome.us>
Subject: ultimate "start" button source

Folks, a while ago I found the ultimate DMC "start" button:
http://www.apem.com/pdf/AV-series.pdf

This is a link to Apem's line anti-vandalism switches.  In short, they're big and tough and armored, and yes, you can get them in stainless steel.  The best looking ones in there are about 1" in diameter, with a flat actuator.

I don't actually have any -- I considered these when I was looking for a garage door opener switch, but I decided they'd be more appropriate as start buttons.  At the time, I poked around and found a distributor that had them, and if I recall, the SS version was around $30 each, with a minimum order of 20 pieces.

If anyone would like to go in for a combined order, I'm happy to arrange it (at actual cost, of course).  I'm in for two of them.  The part I'm suggesting is AV091003C940N, for those who are really interested.

Regards,
Owen
VIN 10470 "1 21 GW"

Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 22:32:53 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

Ok, this type of alignment seems impossible.  I tightened the screw
next to the mixture adjustment hole as far as it would go, and the
plate still "rests" slightly above the surrounding edge.  There
seems to be no way to get it to sit lower than this without having
the edge of the plate hitting against the edge.  Is there another
way to adjust it even more?

Right now it looks like this:

\                   /
 \ --------------  /
  \               /
  /               \
 /                 \
/                   \

Loosening the adjustment screw only seems to raise it even higher.
Tightening it brings it to this position.  I can't imagine the
venturi has ever been taken apart before, so I doubt I'm missing any
pieces.

Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 16:40:19 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I think you are foregetting one thing, you can not buy a GT40 or an AC Cobra
for $75K
but you can buy a REAL DeLorean for about $20K all day long.
Why spend twice, or three times as much on a replica?
You could buy a real one and add the interior, new engine and what ever else
you
like and still never hit the $75K mark.

The reason Lamborghini kits sell for $35 is because a real used Countach is
$85K.
Think about it....
- VB

>From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
>To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>Subject: Re: [DML] DMC houston video question
>Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 07:24:21 -0000
>

>Here in Connecticut we have a  car company called ERA COBRA,that
>manufactures replica AC Cobras GT40's and others,they are world
>reknown,(I took a tour of their facilities(and cars) and came out
>VERY impressed)and they make turn key cars or complete rolling
>cars,which just needs your drivetrain.My point here is that there is
>NO reason that DMCH cannot manfacture Deloreans in the same fashion
>(with the option of fiberglass body panels)with your choice of
>drivetrain(within limits)or just rolling cars,since they have the
>factory equipment to make the fiberglass black bodies,that part would
>not be a problem,then using thr Pierce SS frame under their
>bodies,and either fiberglass panels(easy to make)or SS panels or even
>aluminum body panels,and your choice of different drivetrains,NOW you
>have the Delorean that should have been..By the way their complete
>rolling GT40's (without drivetrain) retailed for $78,000,so that a
>well made DeloreanII,remanufactured as a supercar should fetch appox.
>the same amount.Expecally since MOST people outside the Delorean
>community assume DMCH IS THE orignal Delorean motor company!! AND I
>could almost guarentee that JZD would promote it,if it would
>happen,mark my word on that,as I WAS the first person to figure out
>that, DMC watch inciedent was a JZD thing(check the back archives).
>
>Claude
>No vin

<snip>

Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 17:56:58 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Going keyless (push-button start)

Can I ask a question,
was the point of doing this just to be unique or because there was something
wrong
with your key ignition?
It seems like a lot of extra work.
Just curious.
- VB

>From: "M. P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>
>To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>Subject: [DML] Re: Going keyless (push-button start)
>Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 16:00:05 -0000
>

>Ryan,
>      That wasn't me, but I did something similar.  I hit the car show
>circuit pretty hard out here in Arizona and am always looking for
>ways to trick things out or just show-off....:)  What I did was
>purchase an aftermarket Honda S2000 start button from ebay.  It comes
>with three tops: clear, red, and aqua/teal.  It also comes with its
>own wiring harness and relay.  I chose to route it through the
>ignition switch wiring so that when the car was off there would be no
>possibility of cranking the starter.
>      I removed my cigar lighter plug/outlet and set it in there.
>I've got other 12V outlets around the car so I wasn't worried about
>losing it.  Right next to it I put a guarded toggle switch.  I routed
>the power through the guarded toggle so that the starter button would
>only crank the starter when the guarded toggle was armed.  That way
>some schmoe wouldn't hit the button saying, "What's this?" and either
>start my car, make it lurch, or grind the starter if the car was
>already running.
>
>Hope this helps.  Please feel free to contact me off the list with
>any questions.
>
>Matthew
>AZ-D VeeP
>VIN 16816

<snip>

Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 18:03:09 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Actually, that is not true.
If DMCH takes a DeLorean frame and underbody using an existing VIN and all
they
do is change things like body panels, interior, engine modifications etc..
then they are not
actually manufacturing cars, and are not subject to any of the laws doing
so.
No crash testing, emissions testing, nothing like that.
It's actually pretty smart in that respect, how ever I don't know of anyone
who
would buy one of these rebodied cars....maybe a few rap stars and drug
dealers maybe.
Jay Leno will want one I am sure.
- VB

>From: Thomas Mc Auley <dmc4087_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>
>To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>Subject: Re: [DML] DMC houston video question
>Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 21:18:35 +0000 (GMT)
>

>With loads of replica De Loreans driving about, it would make our cars less
>special....If DMCH do start modifying original De Loreans, then they arent
>original anymore, and not a De Lorean.
>
>Thomas
>Vin 4087

<snip>

Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 18:45:10 -0500
From: "Michael & Denise" <luckeys71_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Thanks again to the group!

Many thanks to DMC Joe and Harold for their tips regarding my lighting problems-turns out they were both right on the money as I had a loose connection at the #2 fuse which was easily fixed and they're back working now.  John at Special T just serviced my rear light circuit boards and did a great job but one of my connectors from the wiring harness to the board isn't in the best of shape and tends to flicker out every now and then.  Is it possible to get a replacement connector and splice it in or would the wiring harness need to be replaced as a whole?  My only other lighting issue now is still getting the reverse lights to work since even after replacing the switch on the transmission and servicing the circuit boards I'm still getting nothing when in reverse.  Quite frustrating since this one problem is preventing me from passing a Virginia State Inspection.  As always any thoughts on troubleshooting this would be appreciated!
Thanks again and Seasons Greetings to all,

Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 15:26:12 -0800 (PST)
From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>
Subject: Metal Steering Column Bushing?

I'm replacing my steering column bushing today and have pulled the
steering wheel and column out. There appears to be a metal bushing in the
fiberglass that the column passes through. It has the same inside
diameter as the plastic bushing that I'm planning to install. This piece
spins and wobbles, but doesn't seem to want to come out. the inside end is
flat and the ouside end is tapered.

Is this a metal version of the steering column bushing, or is this
something else? Does it stay in or does it need to come out? Any ideas on
another way to coax it outta there?

Thanks,
Christian

Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 01:21:59 -0000
From: "endotex23" <endotex23_at_dml_yahoo.com>

The procedure is explained in detail in the service manual. If you
don't have one you should get one. It will save you all kinds of
grief. Also be sure the plate is set the proper dimension below the
venturi. It is not supposed to be flush.

Greg

Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 05:00:26 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: pictures of my air metering plate resting position

I've been working with David T. to try and fix my air metering plate
resting position, but I thought I'd post these pics just to show
everyone else what I'm talking about:

http://www.personal.psu.edu/~mds328/meterplate1.jpg

http://www.personal.psu.edu/~mds328/meterplate2.jpg

http://www.personal.psu.edu/~mds328/meterplate3.jpg (I had to flip it
upside down in this pic, so the plate is *not* at resting position
here)

The pics show what the resting position of my plate is, even with the
adjustment screw tightened completely.

Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 01:36:13 -0000
From: "M. P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>

VB,
     I hit the show car circuit down here in the Phoenix area all
year.  I've got lots of goodies on my car including a chromed twin
turbo kit, custom fiberglass rear valence, underbody LED's,
halos....you get the idea.  This was one more feature to set me apart
from everyone else.  There aren't many people who start their car by
flipping switches or pushing buttons.  It just draws more ooo's and
ahhh's from the crowd and it seems to score points with the judges on
the customization front.  It took about an hour to mount and wire up.
 Not a lot of extra work when you consider all those folks who have
spent hundreds of hours on their BTTF conversions.

Thanks for your interest!

Matthew
VIN 16816

Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 21:03:30 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

To activate the DeLorean starter does not require a special button. Any
normally open momentary contact button will work. In order for this to work
you also need to activate the accessory relay and run relay. To make this
happen you could use a DTDP switch; that's the easy part. As Matt mentioned
you will need to unlock the steering wheel.

Attempting to modify the steering wheel lock would be extremely difficult
and not recommended. Way back in 1987, when one of the first wireless remote
control starter systems was introduced, I had to have one. I thought,
wouldn't it be cool if I could start my DeLorean by remote control. I went
ahead and purchased the remote start kit and installed it. I also added
additional relays so that when I activated the remote start button not only
would the car start but the doors would also unlock, AC or heater would come
on etc.. . Another push of the button and the engine would strop and the
doors would lock. I also added duplicate switches in the shifter plate so
that I would have the option of starting or stopping the engine while I'm in
the drivers seat without using the remote. To overcome the steering wheel
lock situation I simply put a spare key in the ignition switch and cut off
the key head unlocked the steering wheel and left it in place in the unlock
position.

To prevent activation of the accessory and run circuit I disconnected the
steering wheel ignition switch connections. Now you ask; what about
security. The doors could not be unlocked without the remote unit, so no
worry there. If someone was able to get into the car they would be dismayed
by the fact that turning the ignition switch to the start position would do
nothing. The only way someone without the remote could start the car is they
would have to know that the car could be started without a key additionally
they would have to know which button was for the ignition circuit and which
button was the start button.

I drove my DeLorean in that configuration for over 10 years; it was great. I
had the show down to a science! Pull into a gas station and position the car
so that I would make a right turn leaving the pump. After filling up I would
go to pay for may gas and maybe pick up a snack; just enough time for a
couple of spectators to be checking out the DeLorean. As I approached the
car I would activate the remote start which I had hidden in my pocket. To
the amazement of onlookers the DeLorean would fire up and the lights would
come on. If the weather was warm I would leave the driver door open this
allowed me to quickly slip into the seat and immediately drive off (no
interviews). A slight jerk of the steering wheel to the right would cause
the gulwing door to completely close by itself. All that was left was to
look into my rearview mirror and see the look of amazement of the onlookers
as I pulled away.

Although my DeLorean is strictly used for exhibition the wiring for the
remote is still in place. My current project is replacing my 300k mi. PRV-6
with an electric motor to make it more marketable for indoor exhibition use.

DMC Joe

Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 19:10:23 -0800 (PST)
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Questions on automatic transmissions

> Builders
> (transmission
> mechanics as they are known in the trade) are few
> and far between.
> They are like gold and shops are very possesive of
> them because good
> ones are hard to find and keep.

Boy do I agree with you.  The transmission shop I had
rebuild mine had a builder who specialized in
Renaults.  He dissassembled my transmission to
something like 500 pieces across two stainless steel
tables.  I had the entire master kit applied, the
torque converter sent off to Atlanta for rebuild and a
new Vacuum Modulator and GC sent in from Rob.  They
seemed to really know their stuff, and it's only
warrantied for rebuild in that shop in my town - not
even another shop of the same brand name in the town -
only that one that rebuilt it.  They also told me they
were extremely proud of the job they did on the
tranny, and it was the 3rd DeLorean transmission they
had rebuilt.  As far as I remember, they never had
either of the other two jobs come back due to
incompetence - very impressive - and very fortunate
for me.

Jeremiah

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 01:35:46 -0500
From: "Palatinus, Joe" <jopalatinus_at_dml_davidson.edu>
Subject: Re:Re: Questions on automatic transmission FLUID?

In my automatic I put the regular dextron II bloody red fluid.  I was fairly sure there was only one transmission fluid to get.  I have had not problems thus far (only 10,000 miles though)  Is there some better fluid to put in?  I am almost certain the owner's manuel even stated that dextron II was the fluid to use.

Joe P.
VIN 1767 6808

Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 04:07:16 -0000
From: "p12c16" <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

Rap stars and drug dealers? On the contrary.  I wouldn't mind having
one, and I detest rap.  And no, I don't use or deal drugs.  No one even
knows what this car will look like, if it ever becomes a reality,
which is why I find it hard to believe that people are criticizing it
already.  The interior that I saw in PF reminded me like the interior
of a Lexus or
a newer Mercedes, which are pretty high end cars.  Why wouldn't I mind
having it?  The extra horsepower would be nice, the climate controlled
seats, GPS, redesigned airflow out of the A/C, auto headlights, the
list could go on and on and on.  Not to mention the better sound
system and relocated electronics.  Oh yes, a stainless frame would be
very nice too.  I am sure they will have quite a few interested
buyers, who would rather have a re-skinned and updated car that was
really meant to exist, rather than some guy who builds replica
Lamborghinis in his driveway (no offense to your friend).  These would
be far from kit cars that DMCH would produce, and I think most owners
should be glad they might make the body panels out of fiberglass.  It
saves the stainless for those of us who really might need it down the
road.  I'm not sure why VB thinks that only drug dealers or rappers
would be interested in these revamped cars.  All I can see is
improvement (except for the chrome rims that they are now selling).
The quantity will be so limited that I have a feeling the value would
go up a lot faster on these limited edition DeLoreans than it has on a
stock DeLorean in the past 23 years.

Just my opinon,

Patrick

Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 05:01:35 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

Sorry VB, but that's flawed logic. There is another car which falls
into the same catergory as the DeLorean, when it comes to
reproduction. The Avanti.

The Avanti was a Studebaker creation, that has survived through MANY
inceptions, as various people over the years have resurected the car
many times over. Overall, it remains a moderately popular, yet stable
marquee, despite the many revisions of the car that have occured. From
improving & modifying the original car, to the newer coachbuilt cars,
that are derived from the Corvette platform.

The DeLorean fits into the reproduction niche just like the Avanti, if
not easier. If new DeLoreans were to ever hit the street, rest
assurred that the value of original run cars would most certainly
increase. People wouldn't skip buying an original DMC-12. They'd
clamor for them, because it's the closest thing they can get to the
newer cars.

I've no idea where the $75K MSRP for any new cars that DMCH would
possibly produce, ever came from. However, I can tell you that there
are people that would pay for it. If people are willing to fork over
$90K+ for an Esprit, that devalues an automatic $20K-$30K in the first
year, there are far more that would plunk down that serious an amount
of cash, for an even more iconic car, that has the performance they
crave. It wouldn't be a question of whom would be willing to put down
that kind of cash. It's a question of who can? The buyers are
certainly there.

Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 11:34:22 +0000 (GMT)
From: Thomas Mc Auley <dmc4087_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

Yes, but it is the original body panels, interior and engine that make the De Lorean a De Lorean. Changing them to that extent is ruining a piece of motoring history.
Is it that the owners are not happy with their cars, which makes them want to change them?

Thomas
Vin 4087