From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2379
Date: Monday, December 20, 2004 2:49 PM

1. Disappointment with the Moderators...
From: "Dan RC30" <danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com>

2. RE: pictures of my air metering plate resting position
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

3. Re: Centering the air meter plate
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

4. Re: Centering the air meter plate
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

5. Re: Re:Re: Questions on automatic transmission FLUID?
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

6. Re:Re: Questions on automatic transmission FLUID?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

7. Re: DMC houston video question
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

8. Re: Metal Steering Column Bushing?
From: "painterdave72" <painterdave72_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. RE: Re: Centering the air meter plate
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

10. Re: Centering the air meter plate
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

11. Re: DMC houston video question
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. RE: Disappointment with the Moderators...
From: "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net>

13. Re: Disappointment with the Moderators...
From: Eric Itzel <eric_at_dml_seviernet.com>

14. Re: VIN 4715 ripp off ?
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

15. Re: Centering the air meter plate (SOLVED)
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

16. RE: Disappointment with the Moderators...
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

17. Re: Re: Going keyless (push-button start)
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net>

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 21:40:29 -1000
From: "Dan RC30" <danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Disappointment with the Moderators...

List,
I am very disappointed with how the moderators of this list have handled the
"Sonny V." fiasco. I used to hold many of the moderators in very high
regard... however my respect for some has decreased.... I know of several
people, including myself, who have tried to post opinions to this list about
this topic... all being denied. My post was not inappropriate, but it was
rejected by the moderators most likely because it was not a "happy-happy,
joy-joy" e-mail... It got rejected twice, for no good reason. I feel that
this list is, and has become more and more biased which is a shame and is
reminiscent of "One" DeLorean vendor in particular. I know that being a
moderator is not an appreciated job, and it's not easy to say the least, but
I can't let this one go by. It's a sad day in the DML history to let such a
scandal go by and swept under the carpet... It does nobody any good, except
the guilty one, to ignore it. This sickens me, and I have been considering
removing myself from this list. Right now, I'm ashamed of what has been
going on... If you are too, I'd love to hear from you... publicly, or
privately. Private e-mails that wish to remain private will be treated as
such of course. MY WORD is good...

If anyone would like to see my the post that was rejected, I put it up at
the following web address: http://www.angelfire.com/nj4/danrc/index.html

Thank you,
---Evil Dan

PS- I'll be amazed if this gets posted...

[MODERATOR'S NOTE: Those that might be interested in details of moderating practices and policies are welcome to touch base with the moderator team. We strive to do our best and welcome your constructive suggestions on areas for improvement.]

Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 15:25:13 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: pictures of my air metering plate resting position

Matt, Not being there to see what could be wrong with your plate, it still
has to line up Like this >--< and then deflect down as you start the car.
That is what raises the control plunger up. If it's not aligned then the
vacuum / air would go around the plate and not deflect it down. The K Jet
Bosch book uses another set up that the plate goes up.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/images/delorean-sensor-deflection
-.jpg

Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 02:06:01 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Centering the air meter plate

After seeing the pictures I think something is not assembled correctly
so the adjustments will not correct this. The linkage setting the rest
position may not be assembled in the correct order or something is
out-of-place. I do not have a mixture unit handy to disassemble so
pictures of a "correct" one will be helpful in getting this one back
to "normal" if anyone can foward them. The manual isn't really precise
on the exact fit-up of this area. BTW if you have a manual that is
used to rebuild these mixture units uploading it would be very useful
to ALL of us.

Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 21:21:01 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

Couple of opinions here how to adjust the rest position of the air
metering plate.  Here's one more that says to bend the "spring."

http://www.auto-solve.com/mech_inj.htm#MFI08

Not a bad page at all as far as covering the Bosch K-Jetronic
system, in fact, I think it should be placed into the tech section
of DMCNEWS incase this company ever decides to remove it.

Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 19:06:00 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re:Re: Questions on automatic transmission FLUID?

In a message dated 12/19/04 2:27:57 PM Central Standard Time,
hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com writes:

> I use Castrol Syntec - Synthetic ATF. It meets Dextron II and others
> etc,. I prefer this synthetic because from the first time I used it
> the trans smoothed out and the fluid stays "red" from change to
> change indicating to me it clearly handles heat more efficiently.

Probably a really good idea seeing as the transmission fluid 'cooler' is
perfunctory at best.  A UOA (used oil anaysis) on someone's used transmission
fluid could give better information on if a synthetic is necessary for your
driving habits/climate/etc.  It will also help you determine when to change the
fluid.

Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 01:59:44 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

There used to be 2 worlds of transmissions, Ford and everyone else.
Ford ONLY used Mercon fluid. After around '88 when Dexron III came out
it was called Dexron-Mercon fluid. It was good for everything AND
Fords. Now it is called genericaly ATF or Automatic Transmission
Fluid. You cannot get Dexron II any more but Dexron III-Mercon ATF is
superior to it. You can mix it with old Dexron II if it is still in
the transmission too so there is no need to worry about using today's
ATF. I remind everyone again, on the automatic transmission the final
drive is a separate compartment and you MUST check it separately with
the level plug on the side. It takes 85-90W gear oil, not ATF! Red
Line Products has what they call a superior ATF but I have no
experience with it. They do make other excellant products so it may be
better but I cannot say.

Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 19:40:53 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: DMC houston video question

Let me clarify,
sure, I think many of us would want one of these cars.
I know I would however if the price is that of a super car and the car
is really nothing more that a DeLorean with a new interior with as few bells
and whistles
and body panels I do not see myself spending $50K-$100K for a car like this.

If you saw my interview with Stephen Wynne on my Pigeon Forge video
he talks about the new interior and says that you could spend $25K on it
with
all the elctronics.
Imagine that price tag along with a stainless steel frame, a remodeled
trunk,
a hopped up engine with exhaust, and of course the cost of the car.
So far according to DMCH pricing we are already up to maybe $60K-$70K
or somethng like that.

Who here on the DML is prepared to spend that sort of money on one of these
cars?
You can get one heck of a vehicle for that sort of bread.

So that why I suggest, the only people who might be willing to spend that
much money
on a car simply for it's unique look might be some one like Puff-Daddy or
Jay Leno
or most likely someone with a lot of money looking for attention and most
likely not
a DeLorean owner.

If the car is affordable, sure I would want one.
However for much less money I can have an all carbon fiber Lamborghini
Diablo 6.0
with a V8 Northstar in it that would look exactly like the real thing and
for maybe $30K.
(we are talking about exotic head turners here, not production luxury cars).

Just a fore thought.
Let's sit back and see what they come up with, if anything.

- VB

Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 01:51:48 -0000
From: "painterdave72" <painterdave72_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Metal Steering Column Bushing?

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_f...> wrote:
> Hey there the bushing is easy.. just use a big washer on one side and a
socket on the outer side with a bolt to tighten the two together and draw the
bushing into the hole just do it slowly and make sure the bushing goes in
straight... i had to do two of them and they were easy once u get the hang of
it...Dave.

Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 22:14:46 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Centering the air meter plate

Matt, Since the link is to long and won't show you the alignment, go to the
Reference page on my web site and then to fuel reference and you will see
the air flow meter and how it needs to be in the rest position. I have
several around here from Porsche and Mercedes and Delorean if you need more
information.
John Hervey
P.S. The link you posted is a copy of the Bosch K Jetronic Technical
Instructions and doesn't truly reflect out K Jet system. Our plate goes down
not up.

Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 04:09:24 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

What you found is what I would call "generic" information. It applies
broadly to the K Jetronic line. Unfortunatly these things were offered
in various "flavors" or versions. I do not think on the particular
version we have in our Deloreans you should be bending any springs.
BTW adjusting that nut does "bend" the spring a little. That is if
everything is assembled correctly. If you cannot get the plate to the
proper rest position if you send it out to someone they can probably
get it to work for a minimal expense. It certainly will not operate
properly as it appears in the picture. The air will get around it and
it cannot meter the air and fuel properly.

Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 03:51:18 -0000
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

  It would be pretty interesting to see a "new Delorean " be produced
but really, why?? I think the price would be astronomical in
comparison to an original survivor. You could probably restore a
"classic" for that kind of money. Personally for me, I searched for
along time before I found my car, and I'm kinda proud of myself for
finding an extremely low mileage  original car that was all but
forgotten and bringing it back to life.
  Houston deserves alot of praise for their efforts but, some of the
things they produce really boggles my mind. Take for instance the new
interior, I personally dont like it, if I wanted a car with GPS,
carbon fibre, or aluminum appointments guess what? I'd buy one. The
Delorean has a wicked interior, maybe an updated gauge cluster is the
only thing I'd change.
  Again, this is a classic car and unfortunately it is within reach of
alot of people who after awhile feel the need to change something on
it. Im guilty of this too, Ive been looking for engine/ exhaust
upgrades since before I bought mine but if the car cost $50 g's on
average I think people would be more reluctant to experiment on them
or hack them up into "time cars" . At that point most everyone would
be into preservation and originality.
  Houston is definitely recognized as an important figure with this
car, top 3 in my opinion. I think they could do sooo much more for
themselves and the marque if they continue what they are doing and
propogate the cars longevity and keep it in some kind of competitive
light with the other memorable cars of the past, or present for that
matter. There are Pantera specialists who not only restore the cars
but they manufacture tested warranteed performance parts, engines,
intakes, cams, exhausts, etc....that keep the cars both coveted and
competitive. In my opinion Houston should follow suit, there are 2
ways of making money as a car specialist/ restorer......keeping the
cars on the road by keeping them pristine and original or transforming
them into super performers. I think DMCH  should go that route first
before they consider new interiors or reproduced cars. You wouldnt buy
a car because it had a modern interior would you?? But I think you
would if it hauled some ass!!!
  Didnt mean to sound like Im rambling but this is the cross I bear
with this car, Ive got afew friends with exotic cars, one even has 6
ranging from restored to modified, all truly amazing. The Delorean is
behind the 8 ball seems like it always was, there is so much available
for the rest of them.....does the marque really need the same car but
newly reproduced one that will be subject to much of the same
criticism it was subjected to in 1981 or a new interior??
  Maybe we could get Rob Grady to reproduce 502's engine since he has
all the castings....that would be more worthwile, and surely more
potent than 197 hp.

Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 21:46:21 -0500
From: "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net>
Subject: RE: Disappointment with the Moderators...

I have stood by the sidelines but after seeing this, I must add my two
cents and say that it is time for Steve at DMC Houston to speak up and
defend James or say that he made a mistake and this will not be
tolerated.

I support Evil Dan and would recommend a new forum if this is not
answered.

Jack
10002, 20069

Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 23:29:25 -0500
From: Eric Itzel <eric_at_dml_seviernet.com>

Hi Everybody,

I am posting this with the utmost respect to all DML'ers. I personally am
just tired of this issue.

For those who are disappointed with the moderators about this issue,
volunteer and become one. That way you can understand where they are coming
from. Or, if the DML is not up to your standards, then by all means you have
the option to leave. If you are offended by the vendor in question, either
cease your business with them, sell your car, or seek other vendors.

After looking at the issue, and being near the center of it, I would
speculate that this issue has been started by one who has a true grudge
against this vendor. Everyone and everything else favoring the issue is a
pawn for this persons cause.

This email list is for the benefit of the DeLorean world, and our DeLorean
vendors are in existence to provide a product/service to us owners and to
make a living for themselves.

I am sorry for this post, but it looks to me like this bitching has
persisted far too long. Please get over this and continue with your normal
lives.

Respectfully,

Eric Itzel
vin 4433
eric_at_dml_seviernet.com

Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 23:33:47 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: VIN 4715 ripp off ?

In a message dated 12/18/2004 10:38:21 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de writes:

Guys  does someone know VIN 4715 or the owner ?

on www.mobile.de somebody  offers a Delorean for 7000Euro.
His german is bad, he seems to be more  familiar with english.

As this is a great offer, I contacted the guy.  After my second email

_______

This is a typical ripoff from Italy
the seller tries to sell the item then asks for the money up front usually
from a bank check or money order

We tried to buy a motorcycle from a similar deal and the guy told us he
lived in Germany and the bike was in Italy and he could ship it to the us for  $400

ken

Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 04:47:06 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: Re: Centering the air meter plate (SOLVED)

Finally got something that I think will work.  If you take a look at:

http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/m/d/mds328/meterplate3.jpg

You will see a black/grayish fiber-like washer on the post assembly
directly in the bottom middle of the pic, going through the "leaf
spring."  That washer is the culprit that prevented me from
adjusting my plate properly.  So, I busted it outta there!  That
gave me a few more millimeters of adjustment using the adjustment
screw directly opposite of it going through the other end leaf
spring.  With a little turning of that adjustment screw, it wasn't
long before I had an airflow meter plate that was not only centered,
but also at the correct rest position.

The *correct* rest position I determined to be where the side of the
plate closest to the fuel distributor is flush with the cone lip,
while the side of the plate closest to the throttle valves should be
slightly above the cone lip.

Some of you may think that perhaps I could have simply moved the
leaf spring to the other side of that black fiber washer, so that it
was underneath.  I tried that, but it prevented the leaf spring from
being able to flex, and this functionality is necessary in case of a
backfire.

thanks for all of the responses,

Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 08:52:21 -0500
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

I couldn't agree more. However my disappointment lies in the fact that too
much flame mail is allowed to be posted (VideoBob, Mark Levy). I subscribe
to this board for factual information and help. Too often private "Opinions"
become a main topic and detract from the total purpose of the group. When
someone posts a email about having a problem with a vendor more often than
not they have not even contacted the vendor to review the problem. I myself
am glad to hear from the vendors on the board and even have them plug some
of their products. Vendors are here to make money, plain and simple. If you
have been taken advantage of or screwed by a vendor and as a last resort
feel the need to warn other members of this vendor then by all means make a
post. New people to the board have no idea who or where to get help. I was
one of those people when I purchased my DeLorean. I had one contact from the
PO and that was D1. After subscribing to the list I soon became aware of PJ
Grady, DeLorean Houston, John Harvey, and more. Lets get this board back on
track and keep the flame mail and opinions to a minimum.

David Sontos

Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 06:39:17 -0800
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Going keyless (push-button start)

Re Joes remote start etc........I installed the "Auto Command" ( by Design
Tech) module when I got the car 8 years ago.  It does all the same things,
such as remote start, lock/unlock doors,Full alarm system, Panic button,
headlight control and many others.  It is fool proof with about 17
connections for safety, made as I recall.  Has provisions for garage door
opener, power trunk, .  Works on diesel vehicles and also gear shift
vehicles (with an accessory kit).  Selectable run time, selectable start
"try" time.  I have mine set for 2 second try.  It will always start in that
time, unless it is very cold and has not been run for a couple
weeks......THEN it trys again (twice) in 20 seconds.  It has never failed to
start on the second try.  I have the run time set for 10 minutes and a few
times got into a conversation and forgot I had started the car and it had
shut down by the time I got out to it.  Right now it is down to freezing
most mornings and up to maybe 40 days and it is SO nice to come from a
restaurant or super market to a nice warm car.....ditto in the summer with
the air conditioning running, to a cool car.  I have other brand names in
two other cars which I did NOT personally install.  It has full diagnostic
features.  I also installed a module called "Lights on", which automatically
senses when it is time to turn the lights on or off...like in some of the
newer cars.    Just thought I would mention what is available.  It was quite
a chore to install, but I got a giant wiring diagram and put it on the
garage wall and took one thing at a time.

Murray
VIN: 05962
LIC: DMC-XII