From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2383
Date: Wednesday, December 22, 2004 2:57 PM

1. Re: Cigarette lighter light
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

2. Headlight switch
From: "Roland Smith" <roland_at_dml_dnai.com>

3. Re: Ticking noise and battery drain
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

4. An actual Delorean Topic/ frame rust area check
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>

5. My Transmission and the response
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

6. Re: Battery drain
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

7. Re: buy my car!!!! pretty please =)
From: dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com

8. Re: SS Louvers
From: "media1524" <brentlun_at_dml_netrax.net>

9. RE: Cigarette lighter light
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

10. I finally had that dream
From: "William" <wbowie2003_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Re: buy my car!!!! pretty please =)
From: "stitsien" <stitsien_at_dml_lvcm.com>

12. Re: Cigarette lighter light
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

13. Re: BTTF D at 2004 Cruise for the Cure
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Re: Axel seal replacement tricks
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

15. Re: BTTF D at 2004 Cruise for the Cure
From: "Gary Weaver II" <gw2tulsa_at_dml_cox.net>

16. The SonnyV issue (I spoke to James Espey).
From: "John Dore" <dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com>

17. Re: Search the Archive..........
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Re: BTTF D at 2004 Cruise for the Cure
From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>

19. Re: buy my car!!!! pretty please =)
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

20. Re: Re: Cigarette lighter light
From: JDub <doki_pen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 04:50:58 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Cigarette lighter light

It is possible that the wires for the light and the lighter are mixed
up. The light should only go on when you turn on the lights. The
lighter is supposed to work all the time. A quick check would be to
see if the lighter works all the time or only when you turn on the
lights. This is not a good situation, you will draw too much current
through the lighting system when you do use the lighter. Very easy to
correct, just take the console apart a little and leaving the black
wire alone just switch the other 2. Be careful with the one on the
light. It is very fragile and can break easily if you are too rough.

Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 20:44:53 -0800
From: "Roland Smith" <roland_at_dml_dnai.com>
Subject: Headlight switch

I have been advised that the headlight switch is not fused and can catch on
fire.

Is this true:? What happens?

How is it corrected by owners?

Roland Smith
Oakland, California
Vin #6667

Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 01:15:51 EST
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Ticking noise and battery drain

In a message dated 12/21/2004 5:45:55 PM Eastern Standard Time,
msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu writes:
<<the pinched wire that caused his passenger door marker lights to stay on
all
the time.  The topic was "Door Light Diodes."  This simple problem is a
sure fire way to drain a good battery every day or two.  I believe
anyone who has a mysterious battery drain should take a look at their
passenger door marker lights and refer back to Jon's message.>>

I'll have to check and see if my door light switch is on.  I usually leave it
off. It's an add on from either DMCJoe or John Hervey... sorry, I forget. Joe
I think.  Anyway, it wires into the fuse box to provide a handy on-off
switch. I haven't had a problem for two years until recently... maybe that's it.
Thanks for the input.
Wayne A. Ernst (no handle!)
11174
Bridgeton, NJ

Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 23:34:40 -0500
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: An actual Delorean Topic/ frame rust area check

Ken,

I have been rebuilding and powder coating my front end components and have had my front suspension removed in the process. My car ,I would consider, was pampered for most of it's life being an original California low mileage car with what appeared to be no frame rust. After I removed the shocks, springs, and control arms I could actually see into the area behind them better and found that the epoxy had actually pulled away from the sheet metal and was providing no protection and actually could provide a means to trap moisture on the metal surface.

I removed the epoxy and painted with POR and then a color coat. No damage done but if left unattended it could be bad and expensive.

My advice to anyone who has not looked at this area of the frame is to check it out before it gets into the expensive repair that Ken has seen.

Cecil Longwisch

Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 07:11:14 -0000
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: My Transmission and the response

I got a friendly call from Stephen Wynne yesterday,
he had noticed my complaints about my transmission and felt that
he should call me to alert me that he definatly feels that
my main issue is the shifting computer.
Most would agree.
He also suggested that I should dump the pan, clean it out
and change the filter, gaskets and etc.
He was very helpful.
I thought it was a cool thing for him to do to take
the time to call me and talk about it.
Now, I know what a few of your will say....
... some of you will say that he was just trying to secure a sale.
Well your right, I think he was - and did.
I was not offended in the least that he called me about this issue.
I have heard some great advice from some helpful people here
but rarely does anyone ever actually pick up the phone
and REALLY do some talking.
I have offered some free phone advice for new comers who call
me from around the country, and have had some great long talks
with many of you here.

I also wanted to touch on a subject that Stephen wanted to
defend himself on.
I have said that many vendors will only sell parts to favorite
customers, including DMCH.
When I needed a Left-Front-Fender I was let down by a lot of the
vendors. There were a few who had som reasonable deals
and a few others who told me that "unless I buy all of my parts
from them they would not sell to me individually".
When I asked DMCH for the fender I was told that they
didn't have any, or least not one that they were going to spare.
One of the workers said that they were for "preferred customers".
Stephen wanted to give his side of the story.
He says that they will only sell a fender if they can verify
that it is actually going on a damaged car, and that the fender
is absolutely non-repairable, and that they are doing the work
them selves. They do this to preserve what parts they have and
prevent people from hording and gouging prices.
This reply sounds reasonable enough to me, so I accept it.

I am in no way schilling for DMCH, however I will say that I
have bought a lot of stuff from them without a problem.
I also have bought from Don, Rob and John.
I have spent around $10,000 or so collectivly with all of
these vendors in the last year on parts and accesories for my
DeLorean, so I feel I have gotten to know them all.

In the end, it is healthy competition thst keeps all the
prices low and the quality high.

I just thought I would share this with all of you
in the hopes that we all understand our peers and vendors.

- Videobob
VIJN#5278

Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 09:21:06 +0100 (MET)
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: Re: Battery drain

An idea ?
Why don't you take a multimeter and measure the standby current ?

With the original setup of the door lock module (also with the LockMonster)
you should measure not more than about 20mA.

Let us know if it is much more, than we can track down the problem.
Everything else is blind guessing.

Elvis & 6548

Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 12:52:27 -0000
From: dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com
Subject: Re: buy my car!!!! pretty please =)

Hi Joe,
I'd be interested to know how you think you have a DMC Houston
performance exhaust in conjunction with a turbo system. Seems pretty
impossible to me!

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "my real name" <joe4359102_at_dml_y...>
wrote:
> i want to get rid of my stupid delorean....i cant seem to sell the
> damn thing no matter how hard i try!
> i am selling this car for only 8000 dollars - and i bought this car
> for 17500 and had 12500 worth of work put into it at DMC houston
> (which i have all the paperwork for) ---including had the engine
> upgraded to turbocharged, also had performence exhaust installed
now it has 2 big badass exhaust pipes

Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 14:50:19 -0000
From: "media1524" <brentlun_at_dml_netrax.net>
Subject: Re: SS Louvers

Let's try this again, I am experiencing Yahoo message "bounce".

I am the owner of the car with the SS louvers.  They were on the car
when I bought it in November 2001.  The P/O thought it was a factory
option.  I too tried to find out the history of the SS louvers and
posted the question on the DML.  After many responses, the best I
could figure is that the louvers were an aftermarket kit made by a
company in North Carolina that is no longer in business.  My car is
the only only one I have ever seen that has them.  Bob is correct,
the kit is made from thin sheets of SS glued to the fiberglass.
There is not a lot of additional weight and they do not affect the
operation of the struts.

I like the SS louvers because they make my car unique.  I guess if
Bob starts making them, that will no longer be.

Merry Christmas
Brent Lundgren
York, PA
VIN #17006

> >From: "Nun Yah" <joshp1986_at_dml_y...>
> >Subject: [DML] SS Louvers
> >
> >  Could anybody tell where I can get SS louvers? I think that
they're pretty cool looking.

Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 10:23:17 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

Jon,

Access your fuse block and remove fuse #17 if the light goes out there is a
short between the lamp and lighter 12v feed contacts.

DMC Joe

Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 16:40:35 -0000
From: "William" <wbowie2003_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: I finally had that dream

I know this may sound weird but I finally had a real dream about
driving a Delorean last night.  I'm not kidding.  I dreamed I went
out to the garage and their it was. It even had a gas flap! I got in
the car and took it for a drive and ended up a fast food place had
to open the door to give the my order at the drive through. Then I
drove through with the door open and got all kinds of questions and
admirers. I don't own a D yet but I'm getting closer.

Merry Christmas All!

Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 17:04:55 -0000
From: "stitsien" <stitsien_at_dml_lvcm.com>

Uh....wow, I'm trying to sell mine at the moment too but I think
you're going about this the wrong way.
1St: get your car inspected by Huston or someone else and have the
issues documented properly.
2ND: Take pictures and scan in all your documents.
3RD: Don't call the car stupid……what are you trying to do? These
car's rule don't tell people they're not who wants to buy a "stupid"
car?!?!?!
Honestly you may want to talk with Huston or someone else about them
selling your car for you.

Matthew Stits
Vin 0789 Currently for sale

Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 18:59:20 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

Mine does, and so does Mike Cohee's. We were wondering the same
thing.

Rich A.

Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 11:09:39 -0800 (PST)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: BTTF D at 2004 Cruise for the Cure

Michael & others

I believe that belongs to Dan Botkin of the DeLorean
Motor Center.  It is awesome.  He is currently making
another one for a customer.

Dick Ryan
VIN 16867

Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 19:10:05 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: Axel seal replacement tricks

Hi Knut,

Dave & Dave are right of course. Especially regarding not adjusting
that pre-load nut on the driver's side. Rob Grady confirmed this for
me, just in case you wanted to hear it from an actual service
provider.

The only important thing I want to add here, is that you should
exercise care when prying out the old seal with a screwdriver. If
you gouge the casing it'll leak around the outside. The rubber seal
has a metal ring in it so it can be difficult to wedge the
screwdriver in between the seal and the transmission casing and it
can make it difficult to pry out. I recommend starting with a small,
fine, flat tip screwdriver to make the initial insertion then once
you've wedged a space step up to a larger screwdriver to pry out the
seal.

A new flange is expensive. PJ Grady's flange collar is cheaper.

Hope I wasn't too redundant,

Rich A.

Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 19:11:14 -0000
From: "Gary Weaver II" <gw2tulsa_at_dml_cox.net>

Thats Dan Botkin's from Delorean Motor Center...

That car had more bells and whistles on it than you can count...
IIRC, he rebuilt the car from the ground up for the conversion.

-Gary Weaver II
www.bttfparts.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Michael C. Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_g...>

Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 09:07:46 +0000
From: "John Dore" <dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: The SonnyV issue (I spoke to James Espey).

Note to moderators: I am also sending this email to James Espey
directly, and have already asked his permission to relay parts of our
telephone conversation last week.

Hi guys,
I've been meaning to send this email for the past few days but am
very busy at work coming up to Christmas. BTW, to all the people who
wrote to me offline, sorry I haven't replied, same reason - just
stuck for time at the moment, but will reply to all of you.

Anyway, like a lot of people on this list and the DMCForum, the
SonnyV issue really annoyed me - and I was very disappointed that
this kind of thing might be going on. So, last week, I emailed James
Espey directly, sending him a copy of my post to the DML on the
issue, and asked him to please respond to my questions. He did
respond, thanked me for contacting him directly and asked if he could
call me.

So, last Friday night we had a good 30 minute conversation about all
of this, and I've confirmed with James since that he doesn't mind
what I repeat here about that call. Sorry if this turns into a long
email, and hopefully I'll remember most of what we spoke about...

The SonnyV character was created by James in the summer of 2003. He
explained that it is his job as VP of DMCHouston to promote the
company and their products as well as possible, so he described a
conversation he had with Stephen where he suggested that it would be
very easy to create a yahoo profile to advertise themselves on the
DML - the logic being that people might get tired of seeing
DMCHouston endlessly promoting themselves on the list, but would not
mind an apparent happy customer posting about their products. Stephen
agreed to this as long as the SonnyV character was not used to bash
any other vendors, and would not compare their products with the
competition directly, just make vague comparisons, i.e. not say
straight out that a DMCHouston product is better than the equivalent
PJ Grady/DeloreanOne/Delorean Motor Center product.

So, Stephen is fully aware of the history of SonnyV, and also of the
debates on this topic here and on the unmoderated DMCForum, which you
can find at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcforum

During the call James seemed genuinely sorry and embarrassed about
this whole situation. I asked if he can see why a lot of people are
upset about this, and he said (I paraphrase) : absolutely, no-one
likes being deceived.

I'm glad that James called me - I think email is a really crap way of
sorting out your problems, there is nothing like talking to someone 1
on 1. James had a list of maybe 15 people at that stage who had
posted comments on this issue to both lists, and he told me he
intends calling each one of them to listen to their concerns on the
matter, and try to patch things up. I think this is a great idea, and
I am impressed with James for this.

That said, I know there are many people here who have not posted an
opinion publicly, and would not call James up to discuss this, but
would like an explanation. I asked James if he was going to reply to
my post on this forum, and he said no, he is not going to. He also
said that after our call if I go and post again on this topic, he
will not reply to that post either. James and Stephen have discussed
this between themselves, and will not reply or post anything publicly
to either list on this issue, ever, which I think is a pity. Its my
opinion that the only way this will be resolved properly is a simple
email from the guys in DMCHouston saying "yes we did this - we're not
proud of it, sorry if we offended anyone, and we won't do it again".
I'm sure 2 or 3 days later the whole mess would be forgotten about.

As a sidenote, James was very friendly, and seemed like a very nice
guy. We talked a little about our baby daughters and life in general,
isn't this what owning a DeLorean is really about - making friends? I
hope this can all be cleared up soon so we can go back to that.

Well that's about it, if you've any questions I'll try and answer
them when I get a chance.

Merry Christmas to all DeLorean owners in the USA, Canada, UK,
Germany, Australia, Ireland, and all others around the world!

Best wishes,
John Dore,
Ireland.

http://search.msn.com/

Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 11:21:34 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Search the Archive..........

You used the Yahoo message search??

It kinda stinks, to say the least..  You have to keep
clicking "next" because it only searches a small group
of messages at a time.

Google sometimes works because some people have
private archives (like www.projectvixen.com), but I
found that Google does not index the entire site, so
you may still miss some good information.

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 11:18:41 -0800 (PST)
From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>

That's Dan's from the DeLorean Motor Center in Garden Grove, CA. I've seen
it several times up-close and it's a beautiful car inside and out. Even
smells like a new car.

-Christian

Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 20:31:41 +0100
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

Guys forget it - this is a scammer and probably he is trying to
make trouble or to reduce the price of a car that he wants to buy.

Not the first time I hear of things like that.

Don't waste your time, it's not worth it !

(I don't mean Matthew but the guy with no real name !!! )

Elvis & 6548

Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 11:48:15 -0800 (PST)
From: JDub <doki_pen_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Cigarette lighter light

Oh man, that makes perfect sense.  I've had that
console apart a couple of times and it's extremely
likely i got the two wires mixed up.  I'll check on
this right away, thanks David!

Maybe that other post on here with the guy complaining
about his battery draining should check in to this as
well...

Jon