From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2387
Date: Saturday, December 25, 2004 9:46 PM

1. RE: Fuel pressure and depressing the air metering plate
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

2. RE: Frequency valve buzzing when key in "ON" position?
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

3. Re: BTTF D at 2004 Cruise for the Cure
From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>

4. RE: Fuel pressure and depressing the air metering plate
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

5. Happy Holidays From AZ-D
From: "azman3us" <azman3us_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Re: Fuel pressure and depressing the air metering plate
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

7. My highly modified DMC-12
From: "dandan67" <dandan67_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: First time for everything...
From: "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

9. Re: New Sports Car - The Delorean II
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. Re: Happy Holidays
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Re: Battery drain
From: JDub <doki_pen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Re: Frequency valve buzzing when key in "ON" position?
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

13. Re: Lost all hope
From: Thomas Mc Auley <dmc4087_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

14. RE: Lost all hope
From: "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net>

15. Re: Fuel pressure and depressing the air metering plate
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

16. United We Stand Car
From: "Nun Yah" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Re: Let it snow let it snow let it snow
From: kevin creason <kcreason77_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Re: Lost all hope
From: "endotex23" <endotex23_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Re: Lost all hope
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

20. Cruisin' for a Cure 2004 thoughts
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. Re: Frequency valve buzzing when key in "ON" position?
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

22. Tachometer wire repair?
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

23. Re: - Note from the Moderators
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

24. Re: Lost all hope
From: "Louie" <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

25. RE: Lost all hope
From: Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 12:11:26 -0600
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Fuel pressure and depressing the air metering plate

That's normal

-Joe Kuchan

Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 12:10:55 -0600
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Frequency valve buzzing when key in "ON" position?

Your problem may be a sluggish fuel metering plunger. If it is returning
slowly to
its equilibrium position after you release the air sensor plate the injector
may continue to spray for a while. You could also have a fuel pressure
issue, but most likely the plunger is sticky.

None of your injectors should spray unless the air sensor plate is
depressed, so the initial behavior of #3 is correct. It should stop spraying
when the air sensor is released, however. Cleaning may or may not correct
this. Consider sending your injectors to John Hervey for cleaning and
testing if using a few tanks of premium fuel (typically higher detergent
levels than regular) does not fix the problem.

-Joe  Kuchan

Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 12:17:31 -0800 (PST)
From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>
Subject: Re: BTTF D at 2004 Cruise for the Cure

I asked Dan, and he said that he either had another set or could get them.
That was probably a year ago. It would be best to just call them.
714-554-6794 (number's memorized). As I recall, they were 'spensive - but
they also have a clear bottom so you can install neon lights in them.

-Christian

Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 14:24:36 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Yes it is.

From: Matt Spittle [mailto:supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu]

Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 21:04:42 -0000
From: "azman3us" <azman3us_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Happy Holidays From AZ-D

Wishing you all warm wishes for the holidays from Arizona.

OK now the shameless club plug!  Our web site is up and running at
full speed.  For the latest news, 2005 plans, member's bios & event
photos etc please take a look at www.az-d.org

During the winter season all are invited for a Arizonia visit as we
are very active and the weatther is superb. Drop us a line. Again
check out the events page on our web site and come and enjoy!

May all your presents be wrapped with Scotch Brand Tape!

Randal W. Brown (The 3M Guy)
AZ-D Prez
5501 "Doc Brn"

Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 22:08:12 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

The Lambda system, including the frequency valve, is powered when the
key is on no matter if the motor is running or not. You probably
should have your fuel injectors cleaned and tested. The pressure you
feel when you push on the air sensor when the fuel system is
pressurized is the control pressure.

Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 22:47:17 -0000
From: "dandan67" <dandan67_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: My highly modified DMC-12

I work for an R&D group named Applied Minds in Glendale, CA and
recently  drove my D in. It got snapped up within an hour and emerged
two weeks later from the machine shop, "somewhat modified."

http://www.teamdelta.com/temp/jet_delorean2.jpg

I have no idea what we're going to do about California smog checks
next year.

Dan

Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 17:31:50 -0600
From: "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: First time for everything...

I've had that happen a time or two, Pete.  The first time I thought I was
being shot at!!  :-)

Jake Kamphoefner
1063 -->still bullet free

Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 22:00:13 -0000
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: New Sports Car - The Delorean II

WOW, is this new activity????

Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 17:13:01 -0800 (PST)
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Happy Holidays

Merry Christmas to you too!  Hope you have a safe and
enjoyable holiday!

Jeremiah
Vin: #003299
Tag: He Heard

Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 12:09:12 -0800 (PST)
From: JDub <doki_pen_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Battery drain

I also noticed on my car when I have that door lock
impulse circuit thingy plugged in it draws a little
current when the car is off.

Jon

Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 22:04:09 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Matt Spittle wrote:

>1.  Is the frequency valve supposed to buzz when the key is in
>the "ON" position? (engine not running)

Not continuously, but a quirk of the K-Jet system means the RPM relay
(which powers both fuel pump and frequency valve) often gets fooled into
"seeing" ain ignition signal when you first turn the key. It should
switch off after a second or so. If it doesn't then you may have a
faulty rpm relay.

>2.  I was testing the #3 fuel injector.  When I jumped the RPM relay
>and placed it into a bottle, it didn't spray.  I pressed down on the
>air meter plate, and it sprayed, but when I let go of the air meter
>plate, it continued to spray until I "un-jumped" the RPM relay.  Is
>this how it's supposed to act, or is my distributor plunger
>sticking?  I have had the distributor out of the car for about a
>month, so I wasn't sure if it needed to have gas flowing through it
>to lubricate things again or not?

When you let go of the plate, the plunger should follow it and all
injectors should turn off. Do the other injectors turn off? You
shouldn't test one injector while all the others are still mounted as
you'll be filling the inlet/cylinder up with fuel.. Sounds liek a faulty
metering head. If they all carry on spraying, it's the plunger, if one
carries on spraying, it's the head.

Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 23:18:52 +0000 (GMT)
From: Thomas Mc Auley <dmc4087_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Lost all hope

Hi Tom.

Dont be giving up now! Do you really want to throw 11 years down the drain? If you were to buy one that needed a few thousand spent on it, you have to remember that you dont have to spend that overnight. You can perfect it over a few years! Thats what I am doing (mostly because I cant get insurance until im 21 :-) )

I am 17 now, I saved for 2-3 years for my De Lorean which came from Texas. It was a restoration project, cost $7,600. I have spent a fortune on it (I have been buying things that are not necessary at this point though!), and will spend even more, but the feeling of walking out to the garage and seeing it sitting there is like nothing else...driving it is even better.

I suppose if I wasnt really into the cars, it would have been sold a long time ago.

I wouldnt worry if you can only drive it a few months of the year...I think if you were to drive it all year round it simply wouldnt last, and you WOULD end up spending thousands...they are old, got to remember that. I live in Belfast, so we get all sorts of weather which the DMC will not see much of.

Once the car is sorted out and finished, it should be reliable. Servicing them is cheap enough because its a big Volvo lump.
Get in contact with a DMC owner near you and get a spin in their car! Might help you.

Good luck, and Merry Christmas!
Thomas
Vin 4087
Belfast

Tom Porter <treehouse2000us_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:
Hey Guys,

Merry Christmas to all DML'ers out there in cyber space through out
the world! Hope all is well on your end.

Havent realy posted much in the past couple of months, and I doubt I
will be posting much anymore at all. I have been slowly loosing
steam of hope in DeLorean ownership.

Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 17:46:21 -0500
From: "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net>

I think you misunderstood the list.  I have purchased numerous D's and
have put less than a thousand into them and I have driven as much as
85,000 miles with just normal maintenance of oil changes and a set of
tires.  That's it.

What the list wants you to understand is that you have to be prepared to
service a car that is 20 years old.  Prepared is the key word.

No one wants to you to purchase one and not be able to take care of it.

Personally, I find this car easier to work on than any I have ever
owned.  Besides with all of the help on the list, you will rarely get
stuck.

I say live the dream, just be prepared that depending upon the car you
choose, you might need to do work on it.

Jack
10002 & 20069

Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 22:06:42 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

With the engine hot, there will be quite a considerable resistance, but
I have recently seen a car where thep lunger was too tight in the
metering head and this cause excessive leaning of the mixture over the
rev-range.  Based on what you've said, I'd recommend taking the head
off, pulling th eplunger, cleaning it and the "hole" and making sure it
slides up and down with almost no resistance. A quick check will be that
when you take the head off, the plunger tries to fall out. If it
doesn't, there's your problem.

Martin

Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2004 03:45:26 -0000
From: "Nun Yah" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: United We Stand Car

I was wondering what happened to the "United We Stand" car? Where
does the car reside?
  -Josh

Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 18:03:16 -0800 (PST)
From: kevin creason <kcreason77_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Let it snow let it snow let it snow

No doubt!
It is actually snowing in Houston on Christmas Eve.
Our own little Christmas Miracle. Last time was '89.
Now if Santa will just swing by Humble, TX, and grab
some stuff for me... new coil, performance suspension,
hi-flow exhaust, it would be perfect Christmas...

Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2004 05:33:07 -0000
From: "endotex23" <endotex23_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Tom, don't take this the wrong way but good for you. It's called
growing up. The choices you're making and the logic you're using are
smart. You would not be the first young guy to get in over his head
because he bought a car, any car, out of emotion.

I don't want to sound like an old fart but you're making the smart
choice. Patience. Your "D-Day" WILL come. Use the time to study and
learn how to do your own car work and it'll come even sooner. This car
is simple to work on but you'll need time to learn and accumulate a
few tools. Consider it an investment that will serve you long after
you've bought and sold a Delorean.

There is a time and place for everything. It's only a car and there
are far more important things in your life you should be paying
attention to at this point. Don't lose hope. All you're doing is
trading time for money. Right now the latter is more important but as
you age you'll soon see the reverse become true. In fact I would buy
and give you a like-new Delorean tommorow if I could trade places with
you and I'll bet I'm not the only one here who would do that :-)

Continue to think and act as you're doing now and the day will come
when you'll be able to buy what you please, when you please. You might
even spare yourself the hassle of working past your best years.
Your dream is not dead. Far from it. No dream is dead as long as you
approach it in an intelligent, rational, and thoughtful manner. You're
already well on your way to doing that. From what I can gather you'll
be in a position to own a car a lot sooner than you think. Good luck
to you.

Greg

Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2004 06:30:25 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

Not exactly the story you wanted to hear, but:

I am currently supporting my DeLo on 14K annual unemployment benefits.
Even though the car was purchased while still employed, I wasn't in a
position then to save its price beforehand (was financed at 4% --
nearly 3% after tax benefit). Inital 2002 purchase: $7,500. Total
investment through 2004: $11,000 (includes $1,000 engine/exhaust
conversion). If you're judicious, ownership is indeed possible even on
a limited income.

Moreover, I recently met an owner who actually purchased his car while
unemployed, and is so supporting it still.

Regarding ongoing costs: the DeLo is indeed the most expensive vehicle
in my stable, but its administrative costs
(insurance/taxes/registration/inspection) are only $44 per month.
Expensive repairs now are virtually non-existent. The car is reliably
driven as regular transportation at least once per week (the only
reason it is not a "daily" driver is because I have other vehicles in
service rotation). Note that several owners on the List do use their
DeLo's as a sole means of transport.

Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2004 00:09:46 -0800 (PST)
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Cruisin' for a Cure 2004 thoughts

Dan Botkin's car ws not the only DeLorean at the
Cruisin' for a Cure car show at the Orange County
Fairgrounds this past September.  There were 5 other
DeLoreans including one white DeLorean and one
DeLorean with the DMCH high performance engine.  Dan's
car by far got the most attention of all the DeLoreans
that the show.  All comments about his car were
positive.  One person even interviewed Dan about his
car. Well known DeLorean owners that attended the
event with their cars were Dan Botkin, Don Steger, and
Leif Montin.  I had fun attending the event, answering
people's DeLorean questions, showing people my
DeLorean, and talking with fellow DeLorean owners.  I
am planning on attending this event next year as well.
   I have many pictures from the event including one
of Dan with his BTTF DeLorean.  If anyone is
interested, I can post a few of the photos to the
DMCNews website or email people pictures individually.
Please let me know and being that today is Christmas,
Merry Christmas all!!

Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2004 13:59:56 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

Matt,

The fuel pump and frequency valve should cycle on for 1 second when
turning the key from the "accessory" to the "run" position. The
timer chip in the RPM relay causes this when it receives power
during the intial key-turn. The RPM relay must receive additional
pulses from the coil (engine turning over) to keep the contacts
closed.

Long story short: The freq valve should not be continuously buzzing
if the key is in "run" but the engine is off. (The idle regulator
will though) Either the wiring was modified by a PO or perhaps your
RPM relay is sticking. I wonder if your fuel pump is running too?

#3 injector: If ONLY the #3 injector keeps spraying after releasing
the air-flow plate, you may have a gummed up injector. If all
injectors keep spraying, the metering piston in the fuel distributor
may be gummed up and doesn't move freely.

Fuel pressure: When the fuel system is pressurized, yes you should
feel resistance when pressing on the air-flow plate. When the system
is vented, the air-flow plate should be very free..almost bouncing
when it pops back up. That's what the Control Pressure Regulator is
partly for; it pushes down from the top of the metering plunger in
the fuel distributor.

Don't think I'm nagging, but you've got to read the workshop manual.
I studied the fuel section for 6 months until I totally understood
the flow-diagrams and could draw the entire system (color-coded)from
memory and I still certainly wouldn't call myself an expert.

Hope this help. Happy Holidays,

Rich A.

Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2004 16:33:41 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: Tachometer wire repair?

Seems like my tachometer wire is going bad.  The tach is very
erratic, however, if I move the wire (which comes out of the
ignition distributor) around, sometimes it will make it behave
correctly, while other times it will cause the car to shut off.  Is
there any non-oem replacement for this thing?  DMCH sells it for $45
and that just seems so ridiculous.

Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 20:35:18 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: - Note from the Moderators

There seems to be a huge inconsistency in moderation.
While it is expected that each moderator may judge
something different than another, it is more
disturbing that a single given moderator seems to make
decisions on messages based on the SENDER.

I can think of a number of examples where I was
"called names" with no facts or even opinions to
support the argument... and yet not given the
opportunity to respond publicly while refraining from
calling my attacker "names".

The double standard is my biggest complaint.  The
power of the moderators steer the discussion can have
a huge impact on the reputation of specific members of
the community.  It is a power that I feel is sometimes
abused.

If there was consistency in moderation, no matter who
posts the message, this would be less of a problem.

<SNIP>

Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2004 23:08:17 -0000
From: "Louie" <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

Check out DMC-Texas. They now sell pre-owned cars. Many have
extensive service history through them, and I'm sure every car they
sell is thorougly looked over so you'll know of any work it may
require down the road. And if you look they now finance their
preowned cars. Sounds like exactly what you need.

I don't have a huge income either and I drive a DeLorean. I'm 22 and
a recent college grad and haven't nailed down a career yet (I'm
currently a front desk manager at an Inn... wooohoo!). I drive my
DeLorean daily (about 10k miles a year) and I don't think I've even
put $1k into it as far as maintanence. The little bit I have done to
it wasn't necessary or wasn't the car's fault (a curb ate my radiator
in Pigeon Forge...). The trick is all in finding the right car for
your needs. My DeLorean was it's past TWO owners ONLY CAR, so it was
a proven reliable vehicle. It came with a folder stuffed full of
receipts for parts and work done over it's history, and even had
service history through DeLorean Motor Center. It had 75k miles when
I bought it (about 40k-50k of which were put on it in the previous 5
years) and this told me it would have had all the kinks ironed out of
it. This is the kind of vehicle you need to look for. I think if you
could nail down financing through DMC-Texas then you very well could
own a DeLorean. Don't give up yet... if you put your mind to it you
can find a way to own a DeLorean!

Louie Golden #5252 Charlotte, NC

Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2004 17:20:42 -0800 (PST)
From: Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I second Jack's sage advice. Be careful when buying a DeLorean and inspect the High dollar item on the car(frame). Headliners,seats, binacle,dash,carpet are all fixable without having to float a mortgage. I had never attempted car repair myself before buying my first DeLorean for $1600. I found it rather easy to work on especially since the car came with a parts manual and a workshop manual! At the time I did not know about the DML, however Stephen and Warren at DMC Houston talked me through numerous repair projects. If you have the aptitude and the desire to attempt your own repairs, the DMC vendors and Ebay are ready sources for needed parts. Yes the cars are over 20 years old but replacement parts are readily available and many times cheaper than parts for newer cars. I can get a new fuel pump for around $100 for my DeLorean, I have been told that some fuel pumps for newer vehicles are over $500. Age itself does not doom a car if it is properly maintained. Don't spend your whole
 wad on the car, save some for repairs and do all of them you can yourself.  Buy a car that has a strong frame,engine and transmission. Cosmetics can be completed as your budget and time permit. One final bit of advice-don't buy a DeLorean unless you have a garage to keep it in. Rod 10921