From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2388
Date: Sunday, December 26, 2004 11:53 AM

1. Re: Lost all hope
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

2. Re: Tachometer wire repair?
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 02:02:49 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: Lost all hope

I'm not going to write something here to try on convince you that you
should continue along with your plans to own a DeLorean. It's not my
place.

But I do have a simular story to yours. I had the same fears, and
worries. The deciding factor for me? I wasn't going to let a petty
little thing like fear dictate such an imporant life decision for me.

Now, am I saying that you should just go out and buy a car right now
because you can? No way. If you don't feel that this is the right
time, because you might have personal reasons (such as income), then
you need to go with that instinct. You could wait until a later date
to either have more money for a car that needs less work, or have more
resources to put in the work to a lesser quality car, that you could
possibly obtain for a lesser price.

Me? I wanted to take the risk, and so I got the car. To hell with what
it costs, because the pleasure gained from the experience you can't
really put a price on. After all, the DeLorean is a used car, just
like any other. The only reason that costs for the DeLorean are higher
to keep on the road, is because you will actually care about this car,
versus another 20 year-old beater you neglect only enough to barely
keep it on the road. Not because a DeLorean is any more exotic than
other car you'd buy.

Being "young and foolish" does have it's advantages. I've got my dream
car, and a reliable daily driver, and an heirloom. Most important, the
price per month for repairs is far cheaper than an actual car payment,
and the insurance & registration is cheaper too! :)

Did I sacrifice anything to get this car when I did? Yeah, I didn't
get a waranty. However, I countered that by getting something better.
The knowlege, and tools to repair the car myself. Obtaining mechanical
knowlege, and building skills is as equally imporant as accumulating cash.

As for only being able to drive the car for a limted time each year?
Well, all I can say about that, is consider moving to a warmer climate.

Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 03:26:12 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: Tachometer wire repair?

If I understand you correctly, the wire you're referrencing is not
the "tach wire". It is the pick-up coil wire. This wire sends pulses
to the ignition ECU which converts and amplifies these signals to
control the coil. As you have figured out, if that wire, or the pick-
up coil fails, you're DIW.

Just FYI: The "tach wire" is a white/slate wire that ties in to
about 3 other white/slate wires in the fuse/relay compartment.

Every time I've tried to take the cheap route, it's bitten me in the
rear. This isn't a Toytota Corolla, it's a 23-year old exotic. Save
yourself some aggravation. Pay for the correct part. $45 is a drop
in the bucket on this car.

If you're wondering why it's $45.00, it's because it's a shielded
wire, not standard copper junk. You might find the correct part at a
Volvo dealer or import autoparts house but it'll cost more than
$45.00.

Sorry to be so blunt. :)

Rich A.
--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_p...>
wrote:

> Seems like my tachometer wire is going bad.  The tach is very
> erratic, however, if I move the wire (which comes out of the
> ignition distributor) around, sometimes it will make it behave
> correctly, while other times it will cause the car to shut off.
Is