From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2395
Date: Friday, December 31, 2004 3:20 PM

1. Re: Extra Hose
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. RE: AC Dashboard Panel Removal
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

3. Re: Replacing Instrument Cluster Needles - Questions
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

4. (sorry guys) Delay interior light not working revisited
From: "William Bladorn" <at88mph_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

5. RE: Lotus Engine Conversion & More!
From: Thomas Mc Auley <dmc4087_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

6. Re: Shop manual
From: Lacy <heylacy_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Re: Door rod adjustment?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

8. PRV-6 improvements
From: "captain_hydrogen" <captainhydrogen_at_dml_cox.net>

9. RE: Re: In the Name of World Peace
From: "timnagin" <timnagin_at_dml_mindspring.com>

10. Re: Lotus Engine Conversion & More!
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

11. The Flickering Tach, High Hunting Idle Challenge
From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>

12. Re: The Flickering Tach, High Hunting Idle Challenge
From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>

13. Re: Lotus Engine Conversion & More!
From: "ardont" <tamir_at_dml_entermyworld.com>

14. Re: Delay interior light not working
From: "sandorp1" <piszar_at_dml_comcast.net>

15. RE: Re: Delay interior light not working
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

16. Re: Lotus Engine Conversion & More!
From: "ardont" <tamir_at_dml_entermyworld.com>

17. RE: The Flickering Tach, High Hunting Idle Challenge
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

18. RE: (sorry guys) Delay interior light not working revisited
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

19. Re: AC Dashboard Panel Removal
From: "gzapf" <x86Daddy_at_dml_myrealbox.com>

20. Re: Replacing Instrument Cluster Needles - Questions
From: "gzapf" <x86Daddy_at_dml_myrealbox.com>

21. Re: Replacing Instrument Cluster Needles - Questions
From: "gzapf" <x86Daddy_at_dml_myrealbox.com>

22. Re: respect and courtesy
From: "Dan RC30" <danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com>

23. Re: Lotus Engine Conversion & More!
From: "ardont" <tamir_at_dml_entermyworld.com>

24. Re: (sorry guys) Delay interior light not working revisited
From: "Jim Reeve" <dmc6960_at_dml_gmail.com>

25. Re: (sorry guys) Delay interior light not working revisited
From: "Jim Reeve" <dmc6960_at_dml_gmail.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 13:19:24 -0800 (PST)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Extra Hose

Dave

I'm just guessing, but since I used to own that car,
I'll give it a try.

I had turbos on that car and I know that they were
removed by the vendor before you bought it.  In that
regard, I had a boost guage just to the left of the
binnacle; ie, I suspect that might be the vacuum hose
for the boost guage.  Just a guess.

May 2005 bring Love, Laughter and VERY few DeLorean
problems.

Dick Ryan
VIN 16867

Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 16:23:01 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: RE: AC Dashboard Panel Removal

Japheth,

Removing and refitting instructions for the AC panel can be found in the
Workshop Manual M:13:01 (removing & refitting hazard warning light switch)

DMC Joe

Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 22:42:59 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Replacing Instrument Cluster Needles - Questions

I would not recommend using "hot glue" anywhere inside a car. I know
someone who's wife fixed some broken trim on the inside of his car
(not a DMC) and it worked until the first hot summer day when
everything fell off. Hot glue's melting point is within the range
obtainable inside a car on a hot day.

Epoxy or other glue would be fine, as long as you never plan on
taking it apart again.

Dave S

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "gzapf" <x86Daddy_at_dml_m...> wrote:

> One of my upcoming projects is to install a new EL backlit dash
> (ordered from SpeedHut who began selling after the last distributor
> stopped).  One of the things I'd like to attempt as well is to
replace
> the needles with the more modern translucent plastic variety.
>
> I've recently acquired all the parts I want to install in the
> binnacle, but I'd like to hear if anyone else has replaced the
needles
> in their instrument cluster.  Any tricks to it or special concerns?
> With the new ones I bought, I don't know yet if I'll have to expand
> their holes or fill them in some, but I imagine hot glue will
suffice

Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 16:01:19 -0600
From: "William Bladorn" <at88mph_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: (sorry guys) Delay interior light not working revisited

Thanks for all the info guys! However, I stated my question wrong. Sorry! :)
What I want is for the light to come on when I open and go off when I close
the door.  (the delay doesn't matter to me if it works or not; however, the
reason it doesn't work for me I'm guessing is because the white relay is
gone)

The way its set up right now, if I turn the light one way, it says lit.  If
I turn the light the other direction, I get nothing at all regardless of the
door being open.  How can I make it where as soon as I open the door, the
light will come on?

Thanks again everyone! :)

Duke

Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 22:04:48 +0000 (GMT)
From: Thomas Mc Auley <dmc4087_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: RE: Lotus Engine Conversion & More!

Probably would have been easier for him to put gullwings on a Lotus Esprit.

Thomas
Vin 4087

Jeff Chabotte <jchabotte_at_dml_adelphia.net> wrote:

Wow, wow, and....wow.

I hope Robert will post some dyno numbers and hopefully some 1/4 times
at one point. That's probably one of the sweetest conversions ever!

-Jeff Chabotte
Norwich, CT
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 15:35:26 -0800 (PST)
From: Lacy <heylacy_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Shop manual

Hi, where would i go to download the workshop manual? thanks ,

David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net> wrote:

Actually the 3 you want to get are the following in order of importance:
Workshop Manual
Bulletins and Recalls
Parts Manual
The Technical manual is not all that necessary for most people as is
the Parts Manual. The Bulletins and Recalls is important but once you
go over the car with it you will never look at it again. The Workshop
Manual is THE one you MUST have. BTW you can download the Parts Manual
from several places. The Bulletins and Recalls can be found
individually in several places too. If you do not have an Owner's
Manual you should consider getting one of them too. Another nice touch
would be a logbook of any sort so you can keep a record of the work
you do and when it was done.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Enid/Jeremiah

Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 23:38:43 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Door rod adjustment?

On just about every car I have seen it could stand having the STRIKER
PINS adjusted. In any case it is a really simple thing to check. If
the door locks 2nd position on only one STRIKER PIN unless it gets
slammed then something needs adjusting. If the door is closed and only
one of the door locks achieves "second position" and you force the
lock you will be knocking things out of adjustment. It does no good to
fix all the door adustments and not have the STRIKER PINS  adjusted
properly. You will very quickly loose the adjustments again when
forcing the door to be locked. It is so easy to check the STRIKER
PINS. Park the car on flat, level ground, preferably paved. Open the
door. Now SLOWLY close the door. As it gets almost closed you can
listen for each lock to hit 1st position and then second as they
click. You will also feel if the door hits the pin. The door itself is
not supposed to touch the pins, they are supposed to go right into the
locks. On some cars I see not enough or too many washers so the head
hits the lock or the guide. On some cars the doors must have rattled
at some point because of worn door seals so some "genius" figures he
could fix it by moving the STRIKER PINS. Now I don't say to adjust
every STRIKER PIN  on every car. What I AM saying is if you are going
to go through all the trouble of opening up the door and doing the
internal adjustments, you should also check AND IF NEEDED adjust the
STRIKER PINS. IMHO the need for the internal adjustments is caused by
misadjusted STRIKER PINS in the first place!

Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 23:54:41 -0000
From: "captain_hydrogen" <captainhydrogen_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: PRV-6 improvements

Happy New Year to everyone,

According to (http://www.delorean.co.uk/DMUK/perfomance.html) and
(http://www.delorean.co.uk/DMUK/restored.html#options) it is possible
to take the DeLorean's stock PRV-6 (Volvo B28F) to 170hp as well as
200-220hp.  Other than the free-flowing exhaust does anyone have a
list of parts and/or procedures for doing just that?

I assume that there is some sort of cam shaft upgrade as well as port
polishing or replacement of the cylinder heads and a possible change
in the compression ratio, but I have no information or details other
than the various exhaust system options.  Money is a concern, so
spending $2,000 or more is not an option.

BTW - Does anyone have the numbers for the profile of the stock cam
shaft?  Does anyone have a suggestion for an improved profile for the
cam shaft?

Thank you,
Ben Ferguson
Arizona DeLorean Club - VIN 10365
captainhydrogen_at_dml_cox.net

Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 20:19:55 -0500
From: "timnagin" <timnagin_at_dml_mindspring.com>
Subject: RE: Re: In the Name of World Peace

I agree completely with respecting other's rights to agree and disagree.
For the sake of clarity in my last post, the retaliation I mentioned may or
may not show up on the list.  As I mentioned in the first part of my
either of these could effect people's opinions of our cars.

With that said, if there is little to no retaliation then I would encourage
others to speak up more often.  If nothing else, it could make the lists
much more interesting in a good way.

Greg

Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 21:12:28 -0600
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

Robert's

The Lotus Engine wins the prize.  What a great upgrade to the car.

Now if he and rich would meet at the route 66 drag race in DCS 2006,
that would be one of the great moments in D history.

BOB

Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 02:11:37 -0000
From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: The Flickering Tach, High Hunting Idle Challenge

OK all you techno wizards, this ones for you.

When I connect a 2.2 microFarad capacitor across the ignition pulse
coil, not only does my tach flickering disappear but the idle settles
down to an almost rock steady 775rpm from the usual hunting 800 -
1200.

Thus this "solved" my three problems, flicker, high idle and hunting
all at once.   I say "solved" because the car won't rev above 1100
rpm with the capacitor there.

What's your diagnosis!

Happy New Year  remember stay alive don't drink and drive.

I think we are getting closer to the answer....

D˛and 6530

Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 03:19:39 -0000
From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>

I said the capacitor was placed across the ignition pulse coil but
perhaps it would be more correct to say it was across the pickup coil
inside the distributor, and was connected at the connector that is
near the firewall...

Thank you ,

D˛ & 6530

Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 04:59:23 -0000
From: "ardont" <tamir_at_dml_entermyworld.com>

Robert is going to be doing a dyno test in the next week or so and I
will have video of that, as well as a video interview and a drive
along video in the near future, so stay tuned! :)

Tamir
http://www.entermyworld.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Chabotte" <jchabotte_at_dml_a...>

Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 05:01:37 -0000
From: "sandorp1" <piszar_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Delay interior light not working

I also have a question relating to lighting, perhpas David or another
expert on the ring knows a solution.

My driver's side door marker lights, interior lights and engine
compartment light do not function.  However, the passenger side door
marker lights, glove compartment light and luggage compartment light
work perfectly.  So, it doesn't seem to be a fuse issue, since all of
these function off of fuse # 12.

Any insight that anyone may have is greatly appreciated.

Sandor

> The delay feature doesn't work on most Deloreans. At one time a
vender
> offerred an adjustable delay and there was a tech tip on how to
modify
> a delay relay to make it adjustable. None of them ever worked very
> well so most people have given up. The majority of Delorean owners
> probably don't even know the delay ever existed. Like a lot don't
know
> that the steering wheel not only adjusts up and down (a little) but
is
> goes in and out (a little). The problem is, if it hasn't been moved
in
> 20 years, it doesn't move easily anymore. The relay is easily
> identified. Refer to M:07:01-:02. It is #23, the white one. It is
NOT

Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 23:36:19 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Delay interior light not working

The delay action can be changed or stretched out by adding a capacitor in
the circuit. It's been a while since I did one. But it did work and I had no
request for it, so I dropped the project 2 years ago.

Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 05:01:57 -0000
From: "ardont" <tamir_at_dml_entermyworld.com>

Hey Marc,

Thanks for the compliment.  The reason for the Real Media clips is
that it encodes the video really well for such small file sizes.
They are Zipped so the user can download the video properly and not
have the browser buffer the video from the server.

Regards,
Tamir
http://www.entermyworld.com

Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 23:36:19 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Dave,
Put a cap from ground to the - neg side ( Term 1 ) of the ignition coil. You
can read on page 22 & 23 of the technical manual about the pulse coil.
Basically you killed the AC pulse so the ECU has nothing to read.
If the car is seeking, then when the car is hot you need to readjust the 02
/ fuel mixture screw. Normally I replace the 02 sensor and adjust to it,
again when the car is hot. Some people adjust with the 02 disconnected, but
I don't.
President
Delorean parts Vendor
12/7
9am to 9pm

Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 07:17:09 -0500
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

The white relay completes the electrical circuit for the interior and door
lights. I suspect a PO removed it because of other problems, probably
battery drain. The obvious answer is to replace the relay.

The second alternative is to direct wire the circuit with a jumper wire in
the relay base socket. This will allow the door switches to turn the lights
on and off. I don't know right now what pins you will need to jumper, if you
need me to investigate further contact me offline.

Dave Sontos

Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 15:50:06 -0000
From: "gzapf" <x86Daddy_at_dml_myrealbox.com>

After pulling the knobs straight out, there should be a screw holding
the mode switch in place...  VERY carefully remove the screw, because
if it falls, it's a real pain to retrieve.  At that point, you should
be able to pull the AC panel forward (YMMV, there were different
panels).  The three red lights have the bulbs plugged in at the
bottom, so you'll need to work with it attached, or pull those bulbs
straight out, and keep note of which is which during re-assembly.

As for the gear shift, again, there were two versions.  I have the
original (no DMC emblem on the handle), and it's a matter of removing
screws in the handle and at the base, unscrewing a nut in the handle,
and removing stuff until you get access to another bulb assembly that
pulls straight down and is just like the red indicator lights
(defrost, door locks, etc)

There was actually an excellent photo tutorial for this on "Jordan's
Encyclopedia of DeLorean Maintenance," but the site seems down right
now...  :-(  In case it returns, here's the URL:
http://retroserver.no-ip.com/deloreanmain.html

Based on your VIN, if these things haven't been replaced, your
experience should be like mine: pretty straightforward.  Good luck!

--Greg

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "secret_jedi_guy"

Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 16:02:03 -0000
From: "gzapf" <x86Daddy_at_dml_myrealbox.com>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Jim Reeve" <dmc6960_at_dml_g...> wrote:

> I'm curious how much light you going to get out of the needles as
> well.  Another problem is the EL doesn't project very much light, and
> the kits I've seen do not have any illuminated portion at the hole for
> the needles.  Since the DeLorean has no lights back there (except one
> for faintly lighting the odometer) your translucent needles will not
glow.

Thanks for the reply!  Originally, I was planning on smuggling small
LEDs right behind the needles, cutting tiny holes in the EL panels if
needed...  I've decided against this messy approach since I found
something else reliable.  I'm going to replace the frontlighting with
UV LEDs.  (I've already hooked *one* of them up to a power supply to
see how they illuminate the orange translucent dials....  freakin'
bright!)  So, I'll be frontlit with blacklight, and the orange dials
will glow pretty well and with higher contrast than the stock
situation I have now, it seems.  The look is almost exactly what I
want, but I thought yellow or white would look nicer with the blue EL,
and I've seen toys and acryllic boxes, etc... of those colors that do
respond well to UV.

--Greg

Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 16:05:47 -0000
From: "gzapf" <x86Daddy_at_dml_myrealbox.com>

Thanks for the hot glue warning!  In case the holes on the new needles
are too large, does anyone have a recommendation for the most
approriate filler that will allow future removal / replacement as
needed?  I've avoided irreversable mods so far, and don't want to
force full replacement of the instrument cluster if some small part
were to fail or need an upgrade down the road.

--Greg

Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 08:28:53 -1000
From: "Dan RC30" <danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: respect and courtesy

[MODERATOR NOTE:  For those who have asked, this message contains a mild example of hearsay.  Please be very careful when referring to conversations outside the DML.  - moderator Mike Substelny]

For some reason, my e-mail account was screwing up and I misses many
messages. I just briefly caught up and I would like to say this...

I received, and still continue to receive, praises from random DMLers for me
speaking my mind. They say they agree with what I say but are afraid to
speak their minds publicly. I find this very sad. It's sad that people are
afraid to speak their minds and that "others" are creating this fear. I have
yet to receive one single negative e-mail from anyone! (Ok, so now I might
get one... ;) ) Why is it that only Marc and I are the only ones who are
100% not afraid to see and speak the truth? Marc and I are friends and we
are in the same car club, but we don't sit around talking about this to each
other. It's just not worth our time. We each have better things to do and
talk about. Lately, the interaction we've had is him helping me fix another
one of my cars in his garage! And it's not even a DeLorean! I didn't have
the knowledge to do the work he helped me with... he actually did most of
it! So, anyone who says that he's not helping anyone, you can go jump off a
cliff! He's been extremely generous and helpful with my car, as well as my
girlfriend's SUV. So in my mind, anyone who attacks Marc for not helping
others, is just swimming in ignorance. I bet Marc would even help fix Sonny
V's car. (if Sonny V actually existed and he had a car... lol)

I also read a post saying that they don't see me helping others with
technical problems... well, that's true... they don't see me... at least not
publicly. I usually e-mail people privately instead of clogging up the DML
with tons of posts that are all the same info as others are saying. (Maybe
Dave T. could learn something from this technique... ;) ) I've also helped
people on a first hand basis... yes, I've helped many out first hand as many
other DMLers have.

Getting back on the topic at hand, the reason for me speaking my mind is I
like this list, but I would like to see it balanced more. There is a clear
bias with SOME of the moderators and it has been this way for some time. I
was simply living with it until the whole Sunny V topic was being "swept
under the carpet". That was just plain wrong and it was painfully obvious.

My question is, why can't ALL members of this list simply cut the crap, and
sign their names to their posts? This is simple and basic common courtesy.
If you want anonymity, join another list. I wish the mods would make this a
rule... Yes I know, someone can still be sneaky and create another name and
hide behind it, but there's always going to be some loser out there doing
this. If someone does do this, I can only imagine how pathetic their real
life is to dedicate so much of their time to be deceptive on a list on the
internet... geez...

Darryl, maybe someday I'll have enough extra cash to buy your last DeLorean
from you... I'd like to see you post with no fear... :)

Nice Job Darryl.

---Evil Dan

Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 19:12:30 -0000
From: "ardont" <tamir_at_dml_entermyworld.com>

I know a lot of people have questions for Robert and rather than
giving out his email address, he would like to field questions about
his car from the forum on my web-site.  For those that want to ask
Robert questions, they can join my forum and ask him questions under
the Custom D's discussion area, where there is a subject
entitled, "Ask Robert about his Lotus Engine Conversion."

http://www.entermyworld.com

Enjoy!
Tamir
www.entermyworld.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_c...>

Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 20:05:18 -0000
From: "Jim Reeve" <dmc6960_at_dml_gmail.com>

The delay module does not need to be installed for the interior lights
to work. If your interior lights go on when flipped one way, but not
the other (when the door is open) my first suspect would be a miswired
light like John Chapelhow described in message 48016.

If after verifying the wiring, you might want to take a voltmeter to
the leads going to the lights to see if they have 12v when the doors
are open and if not trace it back from there.  The next step in the
circuit is the white socket where the delay module goes.  The top and
bottom connections (when looking at it from the front of the car
twords the back) should both have 12v when a door is opened.  After
this the wire traces back to the 3 diodes which prevent currrent going
the wrong direction and lighting up the door lights when they are not
supposed to.  They are located on the right side of the drivers
footwell.  They are taped together, and might be different colors (I
really dont remember and my car is storage so I cannot go check them).
 Look for the one that has two purple/white wires going into it.  If
you disconnect both wires you should get 12v on one of them when the
doors are open.  If you have needed to go this far, and have 12v on
one wire, and still no lights, touch the two purple/white wires
directly together (this wont hurt anything).  If your interior lights
turn on then, you have a bad diode.  If you still do not have 12v,
does your door ajar light work correctly with each door?  If not, it
could be one of the other two diodes.  If it does work, and you still
haven't figured out the problem, there is something totally whacky
going on that I cannot speculate at this point.

Good luck.

Jim Reeve
DMC6960

Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 20:12:43 -0000
From: "Jim Reeve" <dmc6960_at_dml_gmail.com>

MAJOR mistake I made when writing my last post.  You should use the
voltmeter to check for a GROUND on everything I listed as 12v.  I
forgot it is a switched ground that turns on the lights. (Probably the
same reason people miswire the interior lights like previously
mentioned).  I apologize for any confusion I may have caused.

Jim Reeve
DMC6960