From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 11:15 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2403

1. Re: What parts are (nearly) impossible to get
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

2. Re: What parts are (nearly) impossible to get
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

3. Re: DeLorean Car Show Pheasant Run update
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Re: What parts are (nearly) impossible to get
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Re: What parts are (nearly) impossible to get
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

6. Re: Have you heard of Velcro?
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

7. Re: Re: Vin number liscence plate
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

8. DeLorean factory&aftermarket stereos
From: "Aaron P." <mrroboto7126_at_dml_netzero.com>

9. Re: DeLorean Car Show Pheasant Run update
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

10. Door light switch diodes - Where?
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

11. Re: DeLorean Car Show Pheasant Run update
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

12. Re: What parts are (nearly) impossible to get
From: "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

13. Re: Re: Have you heard of Velcro?
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

14. Brake Lights
From: "Steve" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>

15. Re: Have you heard of Velcro?
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

16. Re: What parts are (nearly) impossible to get
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>

17. Re: DeLorean Speakers
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

18. Re: Have you heard of Velcro?
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

19. eBay: Too good to be true?
From: toscano2_at_dml_ix.netcom.com

20. AW: eBay: Too good to be true?
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

21. Re: Have you heard of Velcro?
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net>

22. Re: DeLorean factory&aftermarket stereos
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

23. Re: Brake Lights
From: "Steve" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>

24. RE: Door light switch diodes - Where?
From: "Dom Diaz" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>

25. RE: Brake Lights
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 13:46:14 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: What parts are (nearly) impossible to get

There is no need to remake the left fenders and left torsion bars
because if you really need one they are still available. DMCH has left
fenders but will only sell them if your left fender can not be
repaired, members on the DML also have fenders, just ask. Some vendors
besides DMCH have left fenders, just ask. Torsion bars are available,
all you have to do is ask a vendor or post on the DML.

I personally dont think it is worth the investment just to press out a
few brand new left fenders when you can get a new or used one still at
a fraction of the cost to re tool a machine and make molds for new
fenders.

Mark V

On Tuesday, January 4, 2005, at 12:05  PM, alex morgan wrote:

> That is good news.  When I owned mine, lower ball joints and front
> control
> arms were GOLD.  I paid $700 for a remade control arm.  And ball
> joints were
> like $75 a piece.  I see now they are much cheaper and available.
> Nobody
> touched on my second question.  How possible is it to remake fenders
> and
> torsion bars (probably the two most difficult and expensive parts to
> find).
> I would think the fenders wouldnt be that hard.  Once you have a mold
> for
> them and you knew the grit and grade of the S.S.  What would it take
> to make
> torsion bars?  Do they have to be frozen to work?  Could a none
> twisted and
> frozen bar work as well?  I dont know the physics well enough to know
> the
> answer,
> Alex

[moderator snip]

Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 20:03:44 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

Alex and others,

You may want to check the DML archives for the answers for some of your questions, since I do recall seeing similar questions asked.

For example, there have been numerous discussions about making new torsion bars and I believe James from DMCH has said that the parts came be made and priced at about $500 each, if made in quantity. Since there are torsion bars available, there is no critical need to have these parts made now, unless people want to pay up front to have a "spare", similar to the current headlight switch deal.

As for the fenders, this too has been asked and answered numerous times before.  You cannot make fenders from a mold unless you plan to make fiberglass or carbon fiber replacements.  The original panels were stamped between two dies and these dies were built to stamp thousands of panels; each die costing tens of thousands of dollars.  Less expensive dies can be built for lower production numbers, but would still be expensive.  An alternative would be to have panels pounded out by hand, similar to Cobra replica fenders, using similar techniques, but using Stainless instead of aluminum. The techniques would be most similar to SS panel repair techniques.

As for your general question about rare Delorean parts, I use the same caution in answering this question as I would to answer the question (also asked several times here on the DML) of how can I "break into my Delorean" since I locked my only set of keys in it.
This sounds like a reasonable question, but it could also have other motives associated, so the answer must be cautious.

There is no reason to cause unnecessary panic by listing all rare or hard to find parts, since this can also drive up prices and even cause people to hoard rare parts (in case they need them, someday) so the question must be looked at in the proper context.

As for rare parts, here are a few that most folks would not want, except for purists or Concours competitors:  early windshield with built in antenna, original two-key ignigion and door lock sets and original plastic coolant bottles (new, never used, with no cracks).

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_h...>

Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 12:54:03 -0800 (PST)
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: DeLorean Car Show Pheasant Run update

> If you have ideas for what you want in the show now
> is the time to speak or
> forever hold your peace LOL.

This is just an idea.  Last show, BTTF was heavily
embraced, which I think was a fabulous way to go about
it, considering that trilogy is very responsible for
the popularity of our cars.  At PF, we had a band here
and there, but they didn't really play anything that
was synonymous to BTTF or DMC.  If that BTTF theme is
embraced again like PF, I think it'd be interesting to
have a band that played songs from the BTTF trilogy - everything from the Power of Love to some of the more Western themed music from BTTF 3.  Ok, so Johnny B. Goode and the Power of Love will not sound the same as we're all used to hearing them on the movies, but I have spoken with other DMC owners who attended the show, and everyone I've spoken to likes that idea.
Just a thought.

> One thing that I found interesting is the number of
> people that would like
> to show the cars outside on grass if the weather is
> nice.(cars will be inside
> the convention center or under cover if it rains)
>
> We will do that.

I think that's a great idea.  I felt at PF that almost
everyone was scattered everywhere.  Understandibly,
only so much can be done, but I didn't feel alot of
unity among owners.  In the parking lot, everyone was
just about everywhere, others were parked in hotel
rooms (just kidding, Josh ;) ), and than others were sequestered in the convention center - it didn't feel like we all were in one place to me. Now given..walk two minutes and you could get to any DMC in the general parking lot/convention center area at PF..I just love the idea of ALL being parked together.

> At some point the cars will be in order of VIN
> number.

I think that would be very unique and would give some
owners (myself included) a chance to see the "changes"
made to the cars as the VINs moved down.  Excellent
idea.

> Would anyone be interested in having their VIN
> number on a licence  plate for
> say $5 to $6 with the Chicago DCS logo on it so all
> cars are  identified by
> the vin plate.

Yep!

That's my input for now.  Kind of exciting to already
be talking about Chicago.  Everytime I say "next year
we're going" I get goosebumps and nostalgia from just
a half year ago!

See you in the future,

Jeremiah

Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 13:13:20 -0800 (PST)
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>

My apologies to you on that pipe.  I completely forgot
you had it.

Your opinions are well cited and correct.  My list
there was strictly speaking on just buying straight
from vendors.  It's good to know you got the correct
style fitting with that fuel adapter.  That was a
major pain to find from a vendor.

http://www.delorean.co.uk/DMUK/newparts1.html#coolantpipe

> >#106994 - fuel insert from main fuel line under car
> >line that goes to side of fuel distributor
> >

> This is an adapter to take the standard fitting
> that's used at the ends
> of all the steel fuel lines and adapt it to the
> Volvo style fitting on
> the end of the hose. When we have our new fuel hoses
> made, they're made
> with the correct end meaning this part is then
> redundant. If you did
> have to get one made, it would not cost much.

[moderator snip]

Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 17:02:15 -0500
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

I priced out fenders and the hood
My background is stamping and injection molding so doing parts like these are something I do regularly

A tool for the hood in production quality could cost over $250K and the fenders about $150

However you can make soft prototype tooling in a one stage die and make approx 100 parts off it before it was scrap. The tool would be between $10K and 15K and the parts would need some secondaries.  I have quoted this already.

Part cost was reasonable (I'll keep that number to myself)
but there is simply no market.

All body panels can be purchased at less than they were a decade ago.

Again if someone bought out my supply of body panels I might have a different opinion but they just don't move.

Houston has a great selection of most of the panels, more than we will ever consume and there are enough used panels on the market for those that don't plus most dented ones can be repaired.

The other vendors have their inventories as well
Both Rob and Don have numerous body panels.

Houston I believe is in the process of making one of the torsion bars and the other one is in stock

We sold three of the hard to get torsion bars this summer so they are not impossible to get.

Hope this answers your question.

I make the crumple zones that all the mfgs supply.
So I believe I have a history even in the DeLorean Community on making parts, and not parts that are easy to make for a quick buck.  I sit on these parts as I make 24 at a time for up to three years before they move so the cost of money also comes into play not only on these but other parts.

That is the reason other parts are not made
Would you do a part knowing you have to invest 15-20K and then sit on it for a few years to make a couple thousand.

Its fortunate for me I can and do enjoy it so you all can have crumple zones when you need them.

That my 2 cents worth hope your questions are answered and I am sure this will continue the thread.  This is a good DeLorean Discussion.

Ken
DeLorean Car Show Inc
DeLoran Car Show Magazine

Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 21:34:36 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: Have you heard of Velcro?

Ok, I'm game. Incase I want to do this to my car, what is the
difference between "Velcro", and "hook and loop tape"? Does one have
a specific advantage over the other?

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, <bill.schafer_at_dml_u...> wrote:

> Mark V,
>
>    They make a product called Velcro which works very well on the
back of metal and the front bumper. It can used as a temporary fix or
for the long haul. My plate has been held in place on the front
bumper for three years with no problems.

Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 17:04:47 -0500
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Vin number liscence plate

LOL
you got a smile out of me on that one

Glad to have you at the shows
with or without car

BTW the new owner has had the car and it is working fine
he has it ready now to store for long term

KEn

Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 04:20:27 GMT
From: "Aaron P." <mrroboto7126_at_dml_netzero.com>
Subject: DeLorean factory&aftermarket stereos

Greetings,

A year and a half ago  I took out the old stereo and replaced it with a c.d. player. Well, you know how the old saying goes "you get what you pay for"? Well el cheapo in this case meant el crapo. I'm looking to put in a Pioneer system, probably a 50x4 system. My question is, will the factory 4x10's be able to handle the wattage, or would I be better off replacing them with matching Pioneer speakers? and if so, to those who have replaced those speakers, how difficult was it to gain access to them? (I've looked through my tech manuals and it doesn't seem that difficult. Also I have bass blockers on my front speakers, so those shold be able to handle the wattage) Thanks for your help.

Aaron P.
VIN 7126
mrroboto7126_at_dml_netzero.com

Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 22:47:19 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Hell, let's give Huey Lewis a call!
What the hell is he doing these days?
I would certainly pay a little extra for a ticket to get him there.
At least another $20 if that's what it takes!
Ken?
have you tried to get him yet?
- Videobob

Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 06:27:33 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com
Subject: Door light switch diodes - Where?

Hello List - Rather than tear Winged1 apart out in the frigid cold
garage looking for the door light switch diodes, I decided to simply
ask if anybody has any knowledge as to where they are located in the
car.  I think they might be somewhere behind the center console A/C
face plate area, below the radio, but I am obviously not sure.  Any
insight would be appreciated.  Thank you so much.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC

Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 00:23:03 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

The Nork did play some of the BTTF songs
They opened with one

The idea of the BTTF connection was a risk at PF that paid off
We were not too heavy on BTTF during the normal part of the show but what I
did not expect was that Bob, Claudia and Jeff really got into the raffle and
THEY were the ones to come up with the auction.
I have to admit I was beat and ready to fall over but I watched the audience
reaction to them during the auction and raffle and most people were quite
entertained by them.

Very few people left as compared to some of the other raffles.
There are the raffle die hards and the raffle haters but at this show most
people stayed.
We will split it up next time to keep it down rime wise and as you noticed at
PF we did well enough financially that we did not have a raffle or any other
fund raiser Thursday or Friday.

I have the BTTF People to thank for that.

The negative part is that it costs a lot of money to bring in any of the cast
members.
But they are doing our show for much less than they do other shows.
Bob and Claudia plan to be back they had a blast Jeff want to come back as
well as he was great as Charlie Chaplin I think next time he may be dressed as
one of the three stooges.

Getting back to the original question lets ask the group if they want more
BTTF music.
Right now the budget it very tight for entertainment.

I want to have George Crane back and Jim Prentis both are in England
There are two other people I am trying to get as well (TBA later)
and there are two other BTTF cast members we are looking at depending on
their work schedules.

The next show however will feature more DeLorean technical sessions with a
possible hands on type session.  I have two people that are going to talk about
their custom cars and how they did what they did. And I do want the vendors to
talk about new products they have in addition to some tech help.

Whatever you do however
don't sit all day at these seminars go and look around
I have encouraged that since day 1

To the person that said " I was stuck there for 6 hours Saturday night"
I certainly did not nail you to the seat.  Get up and move if something is
not for you
There is plenty to do.

I think I have rambled on enough and I am glad to see us get back to DeLorean
or Show related topics

PS This year at the Calvacade of Customs ISCA car show I was asked to be the
photo car
The Texas Bikini Team is renting the car for as their photo car for the show.

Wonder if the Delorean can blush

thanks

Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 23:49:54 -0600
From: "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

How about gas-flap hoods??  Coming from the proud owner of an early car,
naturally.  :-)

Jake Kamphoefner in 1063
Me gusta el gas-flapo

Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 00:25:13 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Have you heard of Velcro?

In a message dated 1/4/05 11:04:22 PM Eastern Standard Time, dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net
writes:

> Ok, I'm game. Incase I want to do this to my car, what is the
> difference between "Velcro", and "hook and loop tape"? Does one have
> a specific advantage over the other?

Velcor has a specific hook and loop desing and is patented and copyrighted
and everything else.

Patent ran out a long time ago and the copy cats call it hook and loop since
Velcor name is copyrighted.

I had to research this in a fiber optic project that we used Velcro in and
had to be specific to name both in the patent as being acceptable.

Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 01:48:25 -0500
From: "Steve" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>
Subject: Brake Lights

Noticed today that my brake lights are not working. Could not locate a blown fuse so I checked the switch, I noticed only one wire was connected and another was next to it but unplugged. Plugged it in but still no brake lights. I checked the shop manual and it appears there is no fuse on the fuse block. I know I am missing something.. Any thoughts??

Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 06:39:16 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

Robert - When you think "Velcro versus hook-and-loop tape", think
also of "Kleenex versus facial tissue".  The first is the ubiquitous
name of the market leader for the product, and the second is the
generic term for the same product.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_c...>

Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 07:00:00 +0000
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I understand that there are parts now.  I was concerned with the future and
what the possibilities were for parts ten years from now.  I think its
awesome that they are working on brand new torsion bars.  When I owned my
Delorean the previous owner had welded a broken torsion bar and put it in.
Needless to say it didnt work very well.
I want to assure everybody I was not trying to instill fear, part hording or
price gouging.  I just wanted to know about the present state and future
availibility of rarer parts.  I think everybody who owns a delorean is
interested in that.  I miss owning my DeLorean.  I am very pleased to hear
that I will be able to find parts when I get another.  I checked the archive
and couldnt find what I was looking for.  Thats why I started the topic. I
want to thank everybody for the information, I find it very exciting.
Alex

>From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
>To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>Subject: Re: [DML] What parts are (nearly) impossible to get
>Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 13:46:14 -0600
>

>There is no need to remake the left fenders and left torsion bars
>because if you really need one they are still available. DMCH has left
>fenders but will only sell them if your left fender can not be
>repaired, members on the DML also have fenders, just ask. Some vendors
>besides DMCH have left fenders, just ask. Torsion bars are available,
>all you have to do is ask a vendor or post on the DML.
>
>I personally dont think it is worth the investment just to press out a
>few brand new left fenders when you can get a new or used one still at
>a fraction of the cost to re tool a machine and make molds for new
>fenders.
>
>Mark V

[moderator snip]

Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 07:54:50 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: DeLorean Speakers

captainhydrogen_at_dml_cox.net writes:

> Is it possible to replace the DeLorean's stock 4x10 speakers with the
> much more common 6x9 speakers without changing the appearance of the
> interior?  If so, what does that proceedure entail?
>
> Thank you,
> Ben Ferguson
> Arizona DeLorean Club - VIN 10365
> captainhydrogen_at_dml_cox.net

It is not possible to just swap the 4x10's with 6x9's.  6x9's are too deep
and wide.  Many owners just disconnect them and make speaker boxes on their rear
parcel shelf.  If you want to spend more money, make it look better, and lose
a lot less room, you can do what myself and others have done.  see my website:

Http://members.cardomain.com/soma576

Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 03:10:55 EST
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 1/3/2005 5:58:04 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com writes:

If it comes down to it i will attach my PJ Grady front license plate
bracket i bought a while back that i bought it just incase the local
cops made me attach a plate to the front of my car.>>

I've been driving with no front license in New Jersey, (a two license state,)
for years with no front plate and no problems. The second plate lays on the
shelf in back, in plain view of a policeman standing alongside. I take it
through inspection that way too.  No problems, so far. I have a no-drill front
bracket but I've never installed it.
Wayne

Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 06:17:38 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
From: toscano2_at_dml_ix.netcom.com
Subject: eBay: Too good to be true?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&?ViewItem&item=4516970171

Has anyone spoken to the seller yet? Numerous emails of mine have only resulted in strange replies, no return phone call yet. Anyone know where this is located? The whole thing smells fishy, but the price is right....

Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 15:10:24 +0100
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: AW: eBay: Too good to be true?

Wow, looks like another scammer.

The third one I've seen in 3 weeks !

But last time I didn't get such nice and detailed pictures.

One who gives such a good car away for almost free wouldn't
really care about the tires.

One should go and visite him...

Elvis

Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 06:19:21 -0800
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net>

I have NEVER installed a front license plate in 8 years I have owned the
car.  I think being in small town (30K), an "older" (83) person and driving
"sedately" helps though!  Ha.  I DID get a front SS holder though, that
bolts on UN
DER the front so no holes are needed that would show later.  Just in case.

I love to use that response that someone on the DML said he uses when asked
how fast the car will go.   " I have never had it over 150!!"

Murray
Vin:  05962
Lic:   DMC-XII

Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 14:55:29 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: DeLorean factory&aftermarket stereos

Call Crutchfield. They are very helpful and can figure out the best
speakers for you that can fit. If you want to stay with speakers that
will fit in the place of the OEM pieces you will be very limited
selection and power. To remove the interior trim you remove the inner
door seal and using a heat gun very carefully lift the edge of the
trim. Be careful as it is very easy to tear it. The old speakers are
probably dead so they can't even handle the 8 watts from the factory
radio. After 20 years the cones become stiff if they aren't cracked.
You should replace the wiring too if you are going to run any large
amounts of power.

Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 15:54:45 -0000
From: "Steve" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>
Subject: Re: Brake Lights

Found the problem... Inline fuse next to the lambda with green wire
on one side and brown on the other. It had a fuse in it that had
printed paper inside?? Said 12A continuous Lucas 25A, I found a 25A
Buss fuse and replaced it with that. The fuse I took out was a hair
shorter in length. Do I need to hunt this special fuse? Everything
seems OK but I don't want to have a weenie roast on the side of the
road.

Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 10:59:51 -0500
From: "Dom Diaz" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Door light switch diodes - Where?

Hey Toby, If your facing the radio they will be in the left hand side and
should run along the top of the carpeting in front of the gas pedal, easy to
find (especially since I'm sure you know what a diode looks like) Let me
know if you have any questions.

Dom

Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 11:31:17 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>