From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 3:44 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2404

1. RE: DeLorean factory&aftermarket stereos
From: "Dom Diaz" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>

2. Fans go on with ignition key...
From: "ferdaniraphael" <raf40_at_dml_wanadoo.fr>

3. Re: What parts are (nearly) impossible to get
From: "benshrum" <shipping_at_dml_delorean.com>

4. Re: Brake Lights
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Re: DeLorean Speakers
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

6. Re: Door light switch diodes - Where?
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

7. DMC Parts Sale
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

8. RE: eBay: Too good to be true?
From: "Jason Sisto" <wizard_at_dml_tdgllc.com>

9. Fan problem solved
From: "ferdaniraphael" <raf40_at_dml_wanadoo.fr>

10. Re: Fans go on with ignition key...
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

11. Engine woes
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>

12. Fails CALIF emission
From: "stephenjpattison" <steve_at_dml_cpcrx.com>

13. Re: DeLorean Car Show Pheasant Run update
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

14. Re: Fails CALIF emission
From: "sweitzel_2000" <sweitzel_at_dml_lffltd.com>

15. Re: Engine woes
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>

16. Re: DeLorean Car Show Pheasant Run update
From: "p12c16" <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

17. Re: Brake Lights
From: "p12c16" <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

18. Re: Fails CALIF emission
From: JDub <doki_pen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Re: Monster Nation - Rich W.'s Delorean Projects (Jan. 2005)
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

20. Re: Fails CALIF emission
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

21. RE: Fans go on with ignition key...
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

22. RE: Fails CALIF emission
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

23. Re: Fails CALIF emission
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

24. Re: Door light switch diodes - Where?
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

25. Re: eBay: Too good to be true?
From: "Nun Yah" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 11:08:14 -0500
From: "Dom Diaz" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: DeLorean factory&aftermarket stereos

The rear speakers are a major hassle. I used a Pioneer as well but upgraded
the speaker. The problem is removing those panels without breaking them. Use
a heat gun and be patient!

Dom

Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 17:03:33 -0000
From: "ferdaniraphael" <raf40_at_dml_wanadoo.fr>
Subject: Fans go on with ignition key...

Hi
I have a new problem with the car I'm working on. Now the cooling
fans start as soon as I turn the ignition key ON...
The otterstat is new and I replaced the blue relay with a basic "fan- fix" but the problem is still there. What's wrong and what should I check ? thanks for your help ! Raphael

Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 14:50:43 -0000
From: "benshrum" <shipping_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: What parts are (nearly) impossible to get

   I don't know where you've been looking. Most of the parts I've seen questioned here are available.
102482-coolant pipe
102765 Idle motor clamp
106192&3 bulkhead pieces
110419 LH mirror
106994 fuel insert (recently available)
  The supply of parts is NOT limited and will mostly likely out live all of us. New parts are also being made everyday. As for consoles we now have a kit to recover your old one. There is a LH torsion bar project in the works call James or Warren for the details.

As for dashes, binnacles and console covers look for them in the coming months. LH Escutcheons and door locks as well.

There is no reason to panic. We will not hoard, price gouge or discriminate against any customer. Please e-mail me directly should you have any questions about parts availability.

Benjamin Shrum
DeLorean Motor Company
Warehouse Manager
15023 Eddie Drive
Humble, Texas 77396 USA
tel: 800/872-3621
tel2:281/441-2537
fax: 281/441-2813
http://www.delorean.com
shipping_at_dml_delorean.com

Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 07:33:34 -0800 (PST)
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Brake Lights

I had the same thing happen. The inside of the switch had gone. I replaced it with one I got at Napa ( I was on the road ) and it has worked fine since.

Steve <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net> wrote:

Noticed today that my brake lights are not working. Could not locate a blown fuse so I checked the switch, I noticed only one wire was connected and another was next to it but unplugged. Plugged it in but still no brake lights. I checked the shop manual and it appears there is no fuse on the fuse block. I know I am missing something.. Any thoughts??

To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address: moderators_at_dml_dmcnews.com

Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 17:08:07 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: DeLorean Speakers

I successfully fitted 6" drivers in the rear by drilling a coupe of
extra holes in the braket allowing it to be rotated away from the wheel
well. Can't say they sound superb but they won't without an enclosure.
Still miles better than originals though

Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 17:05:06 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Door light switch diodes - Where?

Jan gave this answer a few weeks ago:
----------

They are located behinde the center console, on top
of the wiring loom running on the lefthand side.

If you stick your head near the pedals you'll see them,
3 tubes, about .5" diameter and 2" long, taped to the loom.

JAN van de Wouw

Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 11:03:21 -0500
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>
Subject: DMC Parts Sale

Hi Everyone,

The holidays are over...and it's only a few short months until everyone
wheels (or hopefully drives) their cars out of storage for that all
important St. Patrick's day parade.  I'm therefore announcing a happy
2005 DeLorean parts sale!  Any order placed with me during the month of
January, 2005 will recieve a 10% discount off of my listed prices.  I
will be uploading additional parts to my ebay store over the next few
days, but in the meantime, if you don't see what you're looking for on
there, feel free to shoot me an e-mail off list and ask.
(jhaldeman(AT)fuse.net)

The address for the store is:
http://tinyurl.com/6dhcw

Thanks for your time and attention, and happy new year!
Josh

Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 12:23:37 -0500
From: "Jason Sisto" <wizard_at_dml_tdgllc.com>
Subject: RE: eBay: Too good to be true?

If the car really had 23,XXX miles, the original NCT's are (i believe) rated for 35,000-40,000 miles.  Those are not NCT's!!

Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 17:33:35 -0000
From: "ferdaniraphael" <raf40_at_dml_wanadoo.fr>
Subject: Fan problem solved

Hi again
Thanks to Elvis Nocita for the answer to my fan trouble !
That was a defective otterstat ( brand new...but defective ); there
is actually a short inside as I move one of the connectors. Thanks for your help ;-)

Raphael

Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 09:36:29 -0800 (PST)
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Fans go on with ignition key...

(Assuming the wiring is stock...)

What is your A/C selector switch on?  In other words, is the compressor trying to kick on?  Try unplugging the low-pressure switch on the evaporator bottle in the passenger wheel well and see if that shuts them off.

Good luck,

Jake

Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 09:45:49 -0800
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>
Subject: Engine woes

When I started up my D 2 weeks ago there was a small pop as she turned
over and then  she roared to live. I looked in the mirror as I went to
back out of the garage and noticed that there was a huge cloud of vapor
coming out of the tailpipes. At first I thought that it was
condensation because of sitting for a couple weeks but then I smelled
antifreeze so I pulled back into the garage. I opened the cap on the
water bottle and saw that the coolant was frothy and thought, "well,
time for new head gaskets.

Sent her off to the shop and had them get started on the gaskets only
to find out that coolant had corroded through the passage in the head
into the combustion chamber.

So now I'm looking at a used head, having the valves ground since the
heads are out, new crankshaft seal since we are in there and replacing
the timing chain that is adjusted out all the way. Since  its all torn
apart, might as well replace the clutch slave  also. Looking at $1200
just in labor. I'm fortunate that I have a good mechanic that is
familiar with these engines and isn't learning as he goes.

I have changed the coolant once a year but have a feeling that the PO
who was the original owner let it go for some time, So the moral is
change the coolant or it will cost a bundle.

Phil Priestley
Alessandros Restaurant
http://alessandros120.com/
(503)370-9951

Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 18:46:02 -0000
From: "stephenjpattison" <steve_at_dml_cpcrx.com>
Subject: Fails CALIF emission

My car seems to frequently fail the Nitrous Oxide test on the
California Emmisions Inspection.  I have 31k miles and recently had
the O2 sensor replaced in Garden Grove.  Outside of the repair shop,
does anyone have any ideas what I might look at ?  Levels today were
2 to 3 times maximum allowable.

Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 13:48:10 EST
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: DeLorean Car Show Pheasant Run update

Has this been suggested already?

I think it would be interesting to have everyone with a "D" at PR write up a
one page story of something ineresting about their car.  They all should be
put together in a book(let) form for all to have and read.

Dē & 6530

Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 19:21:18 -0000
From: "sweitzel_2000" <sweitzel_at_dml_lffltd.com>
Subject: Re: Fails CALIF emission

How are the other levels? I recently had to deal with an 85 volvo 240
that wouldn't pass NOx as well. Even after a full tune-up the NOx was
still 2 times max allowable. It turned out that the catalytic
converter was bad. Upon replacing it, the NOx dropped down to less
than 1/4 of the max allowed.

Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 11:44:59 -0800
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>
Subject: Re: Engine woes

I just talked to the Mechanic and he has sent the head out to a machine
shop to have it welded and resurfaced. It was cylinder # 6 that it had
eaten through to, also had done the same thing on # 4 and was almost
there on # 1.  On the bright side, there is no carbon on the piston
crowns on those two cylinders. This might explain the slight miss that
I was never able to smooth out in the idle. Should run better than ever
when I get it back.

Phil Priestley
Alessandros Restaurant
http://alessandros120.com/
(503)370-9951

Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 19:21:55 -0000
From: "p12c16" <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

I think that is a great idea, kind of like a catalog you would get at an  auction.  Owners could write how long they have had their cars, where they purchased them, and other interesting facts about their particular vehicle.  Maybe some owners could put a few pictures of before and after restoration pictures on their page as well.

Patrick
1880

Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 19:11:50 -0000
From: "p12c16" <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

The same thing happened to me, except that fuse melted the entire holder and made me think my car was on fire when I was driving that day.  Putting a 25A fuse back in is WAY WAY overkill.  I spliced in a blade fuse holder and have been running a 5A fuse for over 6 months with no problems whatsoever.  This is the route that I would go.

Patrick
1880

Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 11:48:21 -0800 (PST)
From: JDub <doki_pen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Does the delorean have an EGR system? From what I know
the EGR system is what lowers the NOX numbers, maybe
yours has failed?

Jon

Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 20:07:41 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Monster Nation - Rich W.'s Delorean Projects (Jan. 2005)

FYI - Just another last minute reminder for those of you who want to watch or record the show.  The debut is tomorrow, Jan. 6, 2005.

Other details about this episode I have found out by searching on the web include a "team build" of a LazyBoy Recliner Hovercraft and scenes from Nitrous Street Car Brawl at Great Lakes Dragway, with appearences by the Chicago Wise Guys race team.

Since I also displayed my BTTF prop car for the show, you can see more details about the show and some behind the scenes photos at BTTF.com, since Stephen Clark was nice enough to do a short write up about my projects in the upcoming show.  Check it out.

Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 20:39:14 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

There is no way to tell what the problem really is, without a
complete listing of the other gasses, and their amounts/dilution
ratios.

Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 14:57:47 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Raphael,
It's not uncommon that someone wired them up direct so they will run all the time. Look under the dash for something like that or in the relay compartment. Look for a switch or and extra fuse holder. John Hervey www.specialtauto.com

Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 14:59:11 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Did they re-adjust the fuel mixture.

My car seems to frequently fail the Nitrous Oxide test on the California Emmisions Inspection.  I have 31k miles and recently had the O2 sensor replaced in Garden Grove.  Outside of the repair shop, does anyone have any ideas what I might look at ?  Levels today were 2 to 3 times maximum allowable. Thanks

To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address: moderators_at_dml_dmcnews.com

Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 20:58:18 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Among the simpler things to check if the NOx is high is the following:
Timing: base, mechanical advance, and vacuum advance
Temperature: slipping belt, corroded impeller, stuck thermostat, bad otterstadt, blocked radiator (air side AND coolant side) mineral deposits in motor affecting heat transfer, air pockets. Excessive carbon build-up in the combustion chamber.

High NOx is caused by high combustion temperatures (pressures) so anything that would cause the combustion temperature (pressure) to increase is a possability. A catalytic converter by itself does not change NOx unless it is plugged up. In that case it causes increased back-pressure raising the combustion temperture (pressure). A simple test can confirm. A symptom of a plugged Cat is a drop-off in power on acceleration or a glowing Cat. I am sure Gregg can offer much more expert advice on the subject of emmision control but this is what I offer. David Teitelbaum vin 10757

Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 21:06:15 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

Martin - Thank you for pointing out that even us old grizzled veteran
DeLorean owners forget to use the archives sometimes, before we ask
the redundant question.  I must have completely missed that rather
lengthy thread on where the diodes live.  Thanks for the reminder!

Toby Peterson

Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 21:42:13 -0000
From: "Nun Yah" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>

 It could be a car dealership that has no idea what they are selling.
Sounds stupid I know but my work does it all the time.

  I would say that it is a dealer because the way he describes the
car is hyping it up so you can't pass it. Buyer beware there is
something wrong here!! It may be a good car overall but I would bet
that there is something wrong with it.

-Josh