From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2005 11:24 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2406

1. Re: DeLorean "Show Off" on CarDomain
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

2. Blower Fan Problems
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

3. Re: DeLorean Car Show Pheasant Run update
From: "gullwingmagazine" <gullwingmagazine_at_dml_juno.com>

4. Re: Re: DeLorean "Show Off" on CarDomain
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

5. Re: DeLorean Car Show Pheasant Run update
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

6. Re: Re: DeLorean Car Show Pheasant Run update
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

7. Re: What parts are (nearly) impossible to get
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

8. Re: need to replace passenger side door latch
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

9. Re: eBay: Too good to be true?
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. Re: Fails CALIF emission
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

11. Re: Fans go on with ignition key...
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>

12. Suspicious eBay offer
From: toscano2_at_dml_ix.netcom.com

13. Re: eBay: Too good to be true?
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

14. Fuse Box Relay Type and Part Numbers
From: "birdwell77095" <birdwells_at_dml_usa.net>

15. Re: Fans go on with ignition key...
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. Re: What parts are (nearly) impossible to get
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

17. RE: Re: eBay: Too good to be true?
From: "Jason Sisto" <wizard_at_dml_tdgllc.com>

18. Re: Fans go on with ignition key...
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

19. RE: Blower Fan Problems
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

20. Re: Re: DeLorean Car Show Pheasant Run update
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

21. RE: Re: need to replace passenger side door latch
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

22. Clutch master cylinder
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

23. RE: Fuse Box Relay Type and Part Numbers
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

24. Re: Fans go on with ignition key...
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

25. Re: Blower Fan Problems
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 23:57:14 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: DeLorean "Show Off" on CarDomain

Andy and Forum,

I just browsed over to opening page on CarDomain and saw that a Delorean was listed as the "Show Off of the Week".  It was a new Delorean website named "Alex's Delorean" and Alex's profile says he lives in MO and his website shows restoration photos of his D.

Alex, are you on the DML?  Any of you guys with CarDomain websites know Alex or have contacted him about his site?

Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 03:25:18 -0000
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Blower Fan Problems

Hi all,
My blower fan is acting goofy.
It will only come on and blow if set on the last position
(4 I believe).
It has no function on the first 3 settings.
Is this a problem with the switch, or are there separete
relays that activate each speed?
What should I check or replace?

Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 02:46:31 -0000
From: "gullwingmagazine" <gullwingmagazine_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Re: DeLorean Car Show Pheasant Run update

Sounds like something that should be part of the DeLorean Car Show
Magazine... Right Ken?!

Ron

Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 22:29:10 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: DeLorean "Show Off" on CarDomain

rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net writes:

> It is not possible to just swap the 4x10's with 6x9's.  6x9's are
> too deep

This is not a true statement I replaced two cars with 6x9's with NO
alteration at all
I had photos on the web page for the raffle car.

I made sure the magnets matched and it was a shallow profile
The speakers were Pioneer I believe and I got them at HHGregg for I believe
$69 per pair

Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 22:56:29 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com writes:

> Hell, let's give Huey Lewis a call!
> What the hell is he doing these days?
> I would certainly pay a little extra for a ticket to get him there.
> At least another $20 if that's what it takes!
> Ken?
> have you tried to get him yet?

Yes I have actually tried
They are also located on the net under Hueylewis.com
Please note there are 9 of them
I would like nothing more than to get them to come but the price is up there
for this show
The $20 per ticket if we got the people like PF would cover the group now all
we need is the travel expenses and that is where the problem lies.
Good question they are a band I would like to get but its a steep bill
Too bad we don't have 1,000 people
Then I could do it AND POSSIBLE LESS THAN $20 PER PERSON

Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 23:07:13 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: DeLorean Car Show Pheasant Run update

In a message dated 1/5/05 3:15:09 PM Eastern Standard Time, PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com
writes:

> I think that is a great idea, kind of like a catalog you would get at
> an  auction.  Owners could write how long they have had their cars,
> where they purchased them, and other interesting facts about their
> particular vehicle.  Maybe some owners could put a few pictures of
> before and after restoration pictures on their page as well.
>
> Patrick
> 1880

I talked to Patrick on this tonight and I think we should volunteer him to do
this
(Really no Joke) I think he needs a good project and he can use our printer.

I will have him get back to the list with a price in a few weeks.

Would the group want to do it only for Pheasant Run or for all D owners

If we use my lasre machine color is expensive but B/W is not too bad
We could do the text body in the normal B/W and allow one photos (size
specified) per page that would keep cost down
Paper is cheap.

I see it going however for about $30 because of the low volume
and binding costs are more just set up costs up to about 1000 copies so it
costs the same to do 1 as it does 1000.

here we go again it all boils down to volume.

We would also need the vins ASAP so we could start.  I have too much to do
for the show to do this last minute

That is why I volunteer Patrick

All in favor say I

Ken   (  I   )

Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 01:16:48 EST
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: What parts are (nearly) impossible to get

In a message dated 1/5/2005 8:46:01 AM Eastern Standard Time,
jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net writes:
<<How about gas-flap hoods??  Coming from the proud owner of an early car,
naturally.  :-)  >>

Actually, DMC Texas has gas flaps. Not the hoods, mind you, unless you want
them flapless.  But you could still buy both and modify it.  I'm tempted to do
that myself on my '82. It's the only "early" feature I prefer to the '82.
Wayne A. Ernst
Bridgeton, NJ

Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 05:31:52 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: need to replace passenger side door latch

The Workshop Manual won't help you much with the actual replacement
procedure. It is not that complicated. First remove the upper trim
panel, the lower trim panel, disconnect the linkage that goes to the
lock, and then remove it! Your troubles will begin AFTER you reinstall
the new lock. You MUST adjust the linkage so both locks work in
unison. For this you really do need the Workshop Manual or the
Bulletin and Recalls Manual. Both have the procedure for checking and
doing the adjustments. If you have the guts to tear the door open and
replace the lock then you really should have the Workshop Manual. I
would give you the whole procedure but it is quite lengthy, it is
several pages but it is very step-by-step and detailed. Once you do
it, it will make perfect sense and you will be quite expert at it. It
could be the reason the lock failed in the first place, being out of
adjustment and then forcing the door closed. In fact the latch may not
be broken at all, it may just be so far out of adjustment as not to
work. You may also have to adjust the STRIKER PINS so that both locks
work simultainiously. Do the internal door adjustments first, then
check the alignment of the striker pins. Use caution inside the door,
there are many sharp edges to get cut on.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "secret_jedi_guy"

Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 07:02:47 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: eBay: Too good to be true?

Don't worry, this is an obvious scam, so please, no one bid on it.

This auction is using photos from another member's auction that
ended in November. The car sold for $15k+

As always, if it looks too good to be true, it most likley is.

Joe OBrien

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, toscano2_at_dml_i... wrote:

> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&?
ViewItem&item=4516970171

> Has anyone spoken to the seller yet? Numerous emails of mine have
only resulted in strange replies, no return phone call yet. Anyone
know where this is located? The whole thing smells fishy, but the
price is right....

Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 07:47:14 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: Fails CALIF emission

Negative. The DeLorean was not equiped with an EGR system. Instead, it uses a "heat
stove", and a flap in the air intake ducting, which is controled by a bi-metalic arm.

Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 09:09:38 +0000
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Fans go on with ignition key...

Is it bad having the fans on at all times?  Assuming you only drove in
moderate to warm weather would it hurt anything to have them running the
whole time?

Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 06:49:06 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
From: toscano2_at_dml_ix.netcom.com
Subject: Suspicious eBay offer

re: the "too good to be true" auction I wrote about yesterday...the seller has finally sent me something more than a one-word answer. This thing just gets weirder and weirder...anyone know if this is indeed the same car being offered within the last month or so by a scammer? Obviously I no longer plan to purchase this, I just find it interesting:

Hello,
First, I want you to know that I live in USA,but for the moment I'm in
England.Two mounths ago my cousin died in a tragic car accident.
My cousin family need money urgently and thatsware i sell this car so
cheap,becouse i want to help they.
 The car is in excelent condition .It has a title clear wich you will
recive along with the car and two rows of keys.
The buy it now price is 3500$ and I want a deposit in the same day when
you will receive the car.
Regarding the payment method i would like to use Square Trade like a 3rd
party for the deposit.Square Trade is a affiliated company of eBay.They (as
you can see on ebay site map) develop the program Safe Harbour -Fraud
Protection.I am a seal member and that's mean I am backed up for all my
auctions on ebay.I pay them fees for that!
The car is in US and it is allready to Square Trade,they inspected and tested the car to
see if the description on eBay matches with the real condition.
Look how they work:
1.I will contact them , and I will send your shipping information.
2.They will send us mail forms (the forms will be from customer support
team) for you about payment deposit.
3.Those forms must be filled by every part of this deal(me and you)
with infos that they required.
4.We must submit the forms.
5.After you will inspect the car,Square Trade will send me the
payment infos and I shall pick up the money.
This means a 3rd party.
If you want to go on with this deal , mail me asap and I will require
those forms right now also I need your complete name and address.
After all that will be done,the car will be shipped from Square Trade,and
will arrive to your place in max. 10 days.
You will receive a tracking # in the same day that the car will be
shipped.
I forgot to tell you that the shipping is free if you pay the amount that i
asked.
Best Regards!

Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 22:31:49 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

The listing was removed by e-bay

Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 14:28:34 -0000
From: "birdwell77095" <birdwells_at_dml_usa.net>
Subject: Fuse Box Relay Type and Part Numbers

Does anyone have the brand and part number for all the relays in the
fuse box? I'm thinking they are Bosch but what are the manufacturer
part numbers? Or are there several manufacturers for these relays?
Thanks.

Shannon

Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 06:30:07 -0800 (PST)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Raphael,
Not sure but this may help...
Try putting the old otterstat back in and see what happens. After I replace mine,
once my car got up to temperature for the fans to kick on, they would not turn
off. Only way to fix this problem was to replace the new otterstat with the
original one.

Many thanks to BobZilla, Rob Grady, Tom Wilke & Joe O'Brien for all the help in
solving this problem.

Shannon Y
16506
-----------------------------
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 17:03:33 -0000
   From: "ferdaniraphael" <raf40_at_dml_wanadoo.fr>
Subject: Fans go on with ignition key...

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 07:19:43 -0800 (PST)
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

Yeah, Wayne.  --But you can't get the hoods with relief lines either!  Buying both wouldn't really be an option, unless you wanted a flat hood with a flap.  Since no DeLorean ever was produced with this setup, I wouldn't really go for it m'self.

(Brandys did it with a late '81 hood)

Jake

Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 10:06:34 -0500
From: "Jason Sisto" <wizard_at_dml_tdgllc.com>
Subject: RE: Re: eBay: Too good to be true?

I just recieved a reply from the seller.

No name
no contact phone number
no VIN
no vehicle location other than USA

Thought I would share it with the group.

JAS

-------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 07:26:02 -0800 (PST)
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

You will get some conflicting opinions here, but the answer is yes.  It is bad.  --Unless you like hot wires, overworking alternator, and stressing already weak circuits.  I suppose it could theoretically hurt you gas milage, too.

So long as I am in motion, my fans almost never run unless I turn on the A/C.  Especially this time of year...

Jake in 1063

Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 11:02:18 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: RE: Blower Fan Problems

VB,

The first place to look is at the blower resistor panel which is located
adjacent to the AC/heater blower under the dashboard in the passenger foot
well. The wires attached to this component can be easily dislodged by
passengers shoes that may contact this area. If all connections are in place
you should check for voltage at these connections to determine if you have a
problem at the fan switch.

If you refer to the blower wiring diagram (M:18:19 or N:10:13 workshop
manual)you will see which wires from the blower switch connect to which
wires at the resister panel. Unfortunately neither diagram contains labels
for these components. If you need further assistance with these tests you
are welcome to contact me "off list".

PS: The problem may very well be a defective fan speed switch. The preceding
tests will confirm this condition.

DMC Joe

Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 10:41:49 -0500
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

...or a supplement thereof.

-Josh

Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 11:39:39 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: RE: Re: need to replace passenger side door latch

David,

I agree with most of your statements but respectfully I don't agree with:

"Once you do it, it will make perfect sense and you will be quite expert at
it."

I don't agree that "expert" status can be achieved with just one experience
with this very complex procedure.

I think you will agree that if the owner decides to complete this procedure
with no experienced assistance at his side he will need to make multipliable
emails to this list for assistance. I think that you will also agree that
any owner who has come to this list for assistance with a complex service
procedure should, at least, have access to a workshop and parts manual.

This next statement is to all new owners who are looking for technical
assistance from this list. You must be willing to obtain whatever tools that
are required to complete suggested test and or repair procedures. The
workshop and parts manuals are essential tools for all procedures. Please be
sure to have these items on hand prior to assistance requests.

DMC Joe

Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 17:20:45 -0000
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: Clutch master cylinder

Group,
I have had a lot of calls for the clutch master cylinder rebuild kit
which was not available. The new kit consist of 2 new seals and a
new boot. I had the parts tooled and now have the kit on the web
site.
In addition to that I had all the internal parts replated and also
have it on the same photo.
You can purchase the kits 3 different ways:
#1.Completely rebuilt master cylinder for $69.95 which also includes
a new adjustable clevis rod.
#2.New seals only.$24.95.
#3.New seals with new plated hardware.$34.95

Since we make our own seals and boots now, I offer a life warranty
on the seals for as long as you own the car and providing the
cylinder is not pitted.

Don't wait till the cylinder gets pitted and is no good. Remember it
uses brake fluid which will absorb water.

John Hervey

http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/clutch-transmission.html

 http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/images/delorean-clutch-
master-kit.jpg

Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 10:49:01 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Fuse Box Relay Type and Part Numbers

Shannon, There are several brands of relay's in the relay compartment. The
standard  relay's in the relay kits are Bosch. There is also one relay that
is single pole double make Bosch also.

Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 16:50:10 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

It is "not a good thing" to have the fans run constantly. You will
overheat the wiring and prematurely wear out the fan motors. The
otterstadt switch should only turn the fans on when the coolant gets
hot enough and then with the fans running it should quickly cool the
coolant enough for the fans to shut off for a while. This is very
dependant on the ambient temperature. Even when you turn on the A/C,
the fans are supposed to cycle on and off when the compressor cycles
on and off.

Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 16:55:07 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

You need to check the resistor near the fan motor. It gets rusty and
the connections go bad. It can cause you to loose speeds. You may also
have other problems like a bad 3 speed relay or a bad fan switch. It
is also possible a connector backed out in the fuse block or a wire
fell off the fan switch. Start with the resistor, that will probably
get you most of the speeds back if not all of them. See if the 3 speed
relay clicks when you turn the fan switch from 2 to 3 to 2. If the
relay clicks it is probably OK.