From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, January 07, 2005 1:13 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2408

1. Re: Re: Suspicious eBay offer
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Birthday Greetings
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

3. JZD's 80th!
From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>

4. Pheasant Run
From: "Jennifer Moe" <jennymoe4_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. RE: DCS Music.
From: "Montgomery, Ken" <kenm_at_dml_csus.edu>

6. On this day in history
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

7. AW: Suspicious eBay offer
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

8. RE: Re: Fans go on with ignition key...
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

9. RE: DCS Music.
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. Re: PRV EGR
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

11. jzd birthday
From: "bill" <dloreanboy_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Re: Pheasant Run
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

13. Re: Pheasant Run
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

14. Re: Fuse Box Relay Type and Part Numbers
From: Chris Almy <chris.almy_at_dml_comcast.net>

15. Re: Pheasant Run
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

16. Re: Fans go on with ignition key...
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

17. Re: Re: DeLorean "Show Off" on CarDomain
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

18. Re: Monster Nation - Rich W.'s Delorean Projects
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

19. eBay Auction - NOT scam thread!
From: toscano2_at_dml_ix.netcom.com

20. Re: Fails CALIF emission
From: "dandan67" <dandan67_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. Re: Fans go on with ignition key...
From: George DeLorean <phantomoftheopera_gk_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. Re: Fans go on with ignition key...
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

23. Re: Fans go on with ignition key...
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

24. Re: DCS Music.
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net>

25. RE: DCS Music.
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 13:30:25 -0800 (PST)
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Suspicious eBay offer

Believe it or not, over at Tamir's site - I believe
someone bought this car.  Hopefully he'll at least GET
a car.  Pictures are nice, but if the stories I've
read here are true - eeeerf.  Poor guy.

Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 16:34:51 -0500
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: Birthday Greetings

Happy 80th Birthday John DeLorean

Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 13:44:10 -0800 (PST)
From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>
Subject: JZD's 80th!

I just realized that today is John DeLorean's 80th birthday. Happy birthday, John!

-Christian

Proudly driving #3452

Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 21:48:05 -0000
From: "Jennifer Moe" <jennymoe4_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Pheasant Run

Okay, now I may sound like a dummy but could some one explain to me
what Pheasant Run is all about?  I went to the website and it really
wasn't any help.  I was thinking of participating, I mean I have the
general idea of it, a bunch of DeLorean owners get together to show
off their cars.  I mean it sounds like a great time. It would be
great to meet everyone. I just bought my D in September so I am a
little new to all this.  Could you also tell me when it is?

Thanks!
Jennifer

Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 14:17:29 -0800
From: "Montgomery, Ken" <kenm_at_dml_csus.edu>
Subject: RE: DCS Music.

 How about skipping the bands all together? It just drives most of the folk away. People want to be able to talk and mingle. I think the $$ would be better spent to have video crews do interviews before the event with notable people who won't be there (get one from JDZ, just in case). Have footage of events that have occurred around the country. People love to see themselves on the big screens. If people want to dance they can hit the bars. Did anyone dance at P.F.? Not that I saw.

I've been working on sites for having a West Coast DeLorean Car Show in the future (I did a DeLorean show in 2001). Here are a few of my notes:

Have a limited access area where only DeLoreans are parked.

Provide a place for owners to hang out together, by their cars and/or inside.

Until someone does 'DeLorean: the Musical' I don't suggest having live bands. Save that for the BTTF events.

Guest speakers should be talking about the history of the car. That's of general interest to everyone, weather they fix their own car or not.

Of major concern to the owners is service and repairs. Have rotating tech sessions that do not conflict with any other DeLorean related activity. Send the folk who don't want to learn about the internals of the cars off to shop and sight-see.

You still need to have a driving tour, but avoid going on roads that make the owners want to race.

Videos are great. Having videos running on multiple screens makes the show look sharp. Have a place where they can be seen with the sound and keep them silent everywhere else.  Run photos taken at the event. People love to see themselves up on the big screen. If the hotel has an in-house video system, tap into it and feed all videos and announcement crawl screens through it.

Don't rely on PC's to do the presentations. Turn the screen saver off!

To compare and contrast the early/mid/late cars one could use just a few cars pulled from those attending.

It's important for everyone to understand that they are accepted because they have a common love of the cars. It doesn't matter if their car is in tatters or even if they don't have one.

Discourage owners from dragging the vendors off during the event to fix their cars. Perhaps some 'experts' who don't mind getting their hands dirty could come early and 'help' those owners who want help with standing repairs. These same folk could help people who roll in with emergency repairs.

Sell raffle tickets throughout the event. It cuts down on the time it takes up at the dinners/presentations.

Ken M.

Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 22:25:09 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com
Subject: On this day in history

List - On this day in history, January 6, 1925, John Z. DeLorean was
born.  Happy 80th Birthday John!!!

Toby Peterson

Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 23:49:24 +0100
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: AW: Suspicious eBay offer

The guy two weeks ago pretended to be from italy near Rome.

It was probably the same guy, I can see similarities in the way he offered the car.

Isn't anybody out there who could find out more details about this guy or his internet connections ?

Elvis & 6548

SCAM SCAM SCAM

WHENEVER ANYONE HAS 3500$ INSTEAD OF $3500, IT IS 99% OF THE TIME A SCAM. ESPECIALLY SINCE HE SAID HE IS FROM ENGLAND.  NO OFFENSE TO OUR FELLOW BRITS, BUT ALL THE SCAMS I HAVE COME ACROSS ARE PEOPLE SAYING THEY ARE FROM ENGLAND.

JimmyC

Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 18:44:24 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: RE: Re: Fans go on with ignition key...

Matt,

There are no circuit breaker's in the starter circuit.

DMC Joe

Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 16:27:57 -0800 (PST)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I know the moderators don't like "me too" posts.  But
I'm with Ken on just about everything he had to offer.
 And, yes, I love music, but I don't need it at a
DeLorean gathering.  I don't need any band to remind
me that the D is from the 80's.

Not a humbug - just my 2.

Dick Ryan

The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
http://my.yahoo.com

Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 01:04:07 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: PRV EGR

K Jetronic PRV's were designed for honest to goodness EGR through the U pipes (that's what the port under that plate is for). Volvo used it on North American imports -- look closely at the B27F pic in #5939's photo album. DeLorean of course did not. Did not use a smog pump either as Volvo did.

Bruce is right about the hot air pipe: does not route anything from inside the engine. Simply allows outside air to be drawn over the exhaust manifold to heat it up.

Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 01:09:34 -0000
From: "bill" <dloreanboy_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: jzd birthday

happy 80th bithday mr. delorean

Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 20:33:58 -0500
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>
Subject: Re: Pheasant Run

Hey Jennifer,

Pheasant Run is the latest installment of the DeLorean Car Show.
(www.deloreancarshow.com)  Ken Koncelik started putting on these shows
back in 1998, and quickly gained notoriety for having over 70 DeLoreans
come to that first show in Cincinnati.  Since then, the shows have been
every two years, and have only been getting bigger.  The last show was
this year in Pigeon Forge, and the next show will be June 15-18th, 2006
in Chicago at the Pheasant Run Resort and Spa.

Just out of curiosity, which website did you visit?
www.deloreancarshow.com has all of this info up on the first screen that
loads...so I'm guessing that's not where you were?

Just curious,
Josh

Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 21:14:52 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

Jenny

What site did you go to
DeLoreancarshow.com is the website for the show
Its a bit early so all the details are not all confirmed but if you look at
the previous shows
Pigeon forge, Memphis, Cleveland and Cincinnati you will see the photos of
the show.
there are tech talks to help with the maintenance of the cars and most of the
vendors are there and offer discounts on parts.
The BTTF people usually attend and you get the aspect of the car and the
movie and these people are a lot of fun at the show

I sponsor the show and would be glad to answer any questions

Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 18:00:18 -0800
From: Chris Almy <chris.almy_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Fuse Box Relay Type and Part Numbers

There are several different types of relays in that compartment. The most
common ones were underrated and should be replaced. From the workshop
manual, they are #19-22, 24, 28, 29, and the relay in the engine
compartment. You can tell the originals by their metal casing. If they are
metal and have a diagonal line across them, then they are upgraded and
fine. For replacements, it's a pretty standard layout. Bosch is the most
popular and their model is: 0 332 209 150. A Google search with this number
should show several on-line stores that sell them. Also, most vendors sell
a kit that includes these relays and replacement circuit breakers.

The rest of the relays in the compartment aren't problematic and don't need
replacement. While you are in the fuse compartment, check for the infamous
blue fan fail module. If you have it, you are asking for trouble. All the
vendors sell different replacement solutions. Be sure to check out their
web sites to pick the best one for you.

Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 22:17:10 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

www.deloreancarshow.com will tell you everything you need to know.

I hope to see you there.

You also must be very new to the list, welcome aboard. Where are you
located?

Mark V

Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 02:18:13 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Fans go on with ignition key...

DMC Joe referred to a post that originates from many years ago when
I lived and drove my D every day in Houston. Any tme the AC was on
the fans were running - effectively, in Houston, that was all the
time. Never had an issue. The temp gage hit the first white mark
from cold and stayed there - all the time. There were a lot of
Houston cars fixed like this back in the 80's. My current D has been
modified like this since 87 when I acquired it. Same fan motors too.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_h...>

Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 22:27:13 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: DeLorean "Show Off" on CarDomain

In a message dated 1/6/05 9:02:31 AM Central Standard Time, kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
writes:

> This is not a true statement I replaced two cars with 6x9's with NO
> alteration at all
> I had photos on the web page for the raffle car.
>
> I made sure the magnets matched and it was a shallow profile
> The speakers were Pioneer I believe and I got them at HHGregg for I believe
> $69 per pair
>
> Ken

OK I stand corrected.  It may be possible to find some but if you want really
high- end, high-power 6x9's, your choices are very limited.  Most 6x9's are
greater than 3" deep, most 4x10's are 2.5" or less.

Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 04:45:24 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Monster Nation - Rich W.'s Delorean Projects

The answer to an obvious question is NO, I did not make Discovery
Channel delay my Delorean Projects profile until JZD's 80th B-day
but it was a nice way to celebrate, especially since the profile
remained positive and informative, even through all the editing.

Well, I think the Monster Nation folks at Original Productions
did a much better job of editing this time around, although they
still like their "sound bites".  As I mentioned before, the day
of the filming was 90 degrees and humid, and during some of the
driving footage, my Grand National D was kicking up some tar and
stones and the producer asked me how I would clean it off.

I will cover more of the details of the show segment in my Delorean
Projects Forum on Tamir's website, so check it out in the future.

Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 23:56:32 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
From: toscano2_at_dml_ix.netcom.com
Subject: eBay Auction - NOT scam thread!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4517590937&category=31830

If anyone is interested in this car, email me off-list, I know the history of it before its current owner.

Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 05:21:39 -0000
From: "dandan67" <dandan67_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Fails CALIF emission

Six weeks ago, mine registered 435 ppm of NO at 15 MPH and 353 ppm at
25 MPH. The max is 1148 and 978, respectively. And I forgot to install
that flexy aluminum hose thing from the heat stove to the air intake.

I felt lucky back then, and waaay lucky now!

Good luck,
Dan

Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 23:16:21 -0800 (PST)
From: George DeLorean <phantomoftheopera_gk_at_dml_yahoo.com>

For what I see, it isn't a good thing.  First, having
the fans on all the time will make the engine too
cool, resulting in the oil becoming too thick from the
low temperatures, and then you would be up the pike.
Do you even know what's causing it?  For example, even
though you may see that your A/C is off, there may be
a short somewhere.  Given that my car is a Ford
Escort, the same thing happens when I turn my ignition
key on.  The only difference is that I have a faulty
temp gauge, and the computer in my car is getting
confused.  Still haven't been able to find a
functional temp gauge no matter where I go for parts.
Good luck, bud.

                     George DeLorean

=====
Eighty eight miles per hour!!!

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 13:42:05 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

Not quite.  As long as your thermostat is working properly, the
engine should never run below the thermostat setting once it
has warmed, up regardless of the state of the fans.  If the coolant
returning from the radiator is "too cool", the thermostat will simply
close and keep the coolant in the block until it warms up again.

-------------- Original message from George DeLorean <phantomoftheopera_gk_at_dml_yahoo.com>: --------------

Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 14:49:20 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Even when you wire up the cooling fans to "run all the time" you are
in no danger of running the motor too cold. The reason is the
thermostat in the pump housing. If it senses that the motor isn't warm
enough it will close and not send coolant to the radiator. The fans
will run anyway to pull air over the condensor coil for the A/C. This
isn't really necessary if the car is moving but as you see from
several responses it seems to be a common modifacation. The circuit
was not really designed for 100% duty cycle. By installaling the
Fanzilla you remove most of the complaints from the cycling like
electrical surges. It sequences the on-off of the fans so they both
don't start and stop at the same time. It also gives you back the
functionality of the Fan Fail Light so you will know if there is a
problem with one of the fans.
  As for your Escort, the gauge is not what controls the fans. There
is a separate sensor in the radiator for the fans. More likely you
have a stuck relay anyway. The gauge is probably fine, it is just
reading low because the fans run all the time. I am sure if you try a
Ford dealer they can order what you need if they don't have it in
stock. Many parts are "Dealer Only" meaning you have to go to the
dealer to get them, they are not found "aftermarket" like in Autozone.
BTW do you have a thermostat in it? If you do maybe it's stuck open.
Some people take them out thinking (during the summer) the motor will
run cooler without it. It should be left in all year. And no, there is
no such thing as a summer thermostat and a winter thermostat.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, George DeLorean

Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 07:06:12 -0800
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net>

I agree with Ken and Dick.   I love music, but not when I am only a short
time at a place I am really enjoying for its OTHER interests...like talking
to other D owners for two or three days.  We have had local car shows and
others not far away, with PA systems blaring with music and inane talking
that the so called announcers feel they have to keep going for our
"entertainment".  I suspect it is mostly an ego thing on that part.   We all
are looking at the cars and engaging in conversation with the owners and
other lookers, but have to stop talking due to the loud music and many
announcements.  Locally we have succeeded in getting that tamed down, so
there is either NONE or it is SOFTENED so we can continue to talk.

My 2 cents worth!!

Murray
Vin: 05962
Lic:  DMC-XII

Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 09:10:31 -0600
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>

I think that the DCS are well run and well organized events.

I have enjoyed all of them immensely and Ken K. is a great host.

But, Ken M. has made some good points.

I too, find the loud music annoying.

With my advanced age has come reduced hearing ability, so it is difficult to
have dinner table conversations with the loud back ground music.

Perhaps the money could be spent on more extensive videos that can play
throughout the show.

A viewing room for the videos with sound would be great too.

Perhaps you could sell a DVD with all of the videos that are played at the
show so we could watch them at our leisure when we get home.

I would also like to see the Tech seminars conducted when there is no other
activities being held, including judging.

Raffle ticket should be made available throughout the day, this would allow
the dinner to end a bit earlier.

If the vendors would like to set appointments for repairs, that would be
great.  As long as it does not interfere with the tech seminars.

Ken K., please take this as constructive criticism.  The shows you have
hosted have been awesome and I hope that you never retire.

Scott Mueller 002981