From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2410
Date: Saturday, January 08, 2005 1:01 PM

1. RE: DCS Music.
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Re: Pheasant Run
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

3. Re: Rich W. hovercraft
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

4. Re: Neon?
From: "Steve" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>

5. Re: Rich on TV
From: "azman3us" <azman3us_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Re: Neon?
From: "painterdave72" <painterdave72_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Re: DCS Music.
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

8. Re: Music at DCS 2006
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

9. Re: Re: Neon? & Now Fuel Pump
From: "Steve" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>

10. Re: Faulty Coolant Temp Sender/Stuck Thermostats
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

11. RE: DCS Music.
From: "Gary Hull" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

12. Re: Neon?
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

13. not neon- L.E.D.
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>

14. Disspelling the myth of storage
From: "smileksr" <michaelbarth_at_dml_hotmail.com>

15. DCS Music.. A suggestion from a while BACK
From: "Ken - Digital Devices" <ken_at_dml_digital-devices.net>

16. Re: Disspelling the myth of storage
From: Peter Lucas <lucas_at_dml_Maya.com>

17. Re: Disspelling the myth of storage
From: "Rustproof" <Rustproof_at_dml_comcast.net>

18. Your help is needed in the Chonology Listing
From: "birdwell77095" <birdwells_at_dml_usa.net>

19. Re: Rich W. hovercraft
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

20. RE: Disspelling the myth of storage
From: "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net>

21. Re: Disspelling the myth of storage
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

22. Houston Mardi Gras Parade Saturday January 22
From: "birdwell77095" <birdwells_at_dml_usa.net>

23. Re: Disspelling the myth of storage
From: "Duke" <at88mph_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

24. Re: not neon- L.E.D.
From: Owen Emry <owen_at_dml_aerodrome.us>

25. Piston rings + sleeves
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 11:25:14 -0800 (PST)
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: DCS Music.

OOOhhhh.  Sell the videos.  I know that would require
signoff from the creators, (copyrights) but assuming
that's doable, I think it's a great idea!

Steve
--- Scott Mueller <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com> wrote:

> I think that the DCS are well run and well organized
> events.
>
> I have enjoyed all of them immensely and Ken K. is a
> great host.
>
> But, Ken M. has made some good points.
>
> I too, find the loud music annoying.
>
> With my advanced age has come reduced hearing
> ability, so it is difficult to
> have dinner table conversations with the loud back
> ground music.
>
> Perhaps the money could be spent on more extensive
> videos that can play
> throughout the show.
>
> A viewing room for the videos with sound would be
> great too.
>
> Perhaps you could sell a DVD with all of the videos
> that are played at the
> show so we could watch them at our leisure when we
> get home.

[moderator snip]

Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 13:50:56 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Pheasant Run

The closest club to you is The Delorean Midwest Connection
http://www.delorean-midwest.org/index1.html

We have members further than you are located and i am sure a few will
chime in on this subject.

I am located in Brookfield, Wisconsin. My Wife and I do The Delorean
Midwest Connection Newsletter and our club would welcome you. If
interested in joining contact me direct.

Mark V

On Friday, January 7, 2005, at 10:57  AM, Jennifer Moe wrote:

> Thanks!
> I am very new to the list, I just bought my car in September, I have
> wanted a DeLorean since I was about 8. (after I saw the movie) So now
> I have it and I live in Minnesota in the Twin Cities, White Bear Lake
> if anybody is familiar with the area.
>
> If anyone knows of a group out here I could get involved with that
> would be great. I would like to get out there and meet some of the
> other owners! Get some pointer, see their cars.
>
> Pheasant Run sounds like a blast! I cannot wait for it!
> Jennifer
> vin 2879
>

> DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com> wrote:
>

> www.deloreancarshow.com will tell you everything you need to know.
>
> I hope to see you there.
>
> You also must be very new to the list, welcome aboard. Where are you
> located?
>
> Mark V
>
> On Thursday, January 6, 2005, at 03:48 PM, Jennifer Moe wrote:
>

>> Okay, now I may sound like a dummy but could some one explain to me
>> what Pheasant Run is all about? I went to the website and it really
>> wasn't any help. I was thinking of participating, I mean I have the
>> general idea of it, a bunch of DeLorean owners get together to show
>> off their cars. I mean it sounds like a great time. It would be
>> great to meet everyone. I just bought my D in September so I am a
>> little new to all this. Could you also tell me when it is?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Jennifer
>> 2879

[moderator snip]

Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2005 00:08:53 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Rich W. hovercraft

Josh and others,

The future of my Hover Conversion is up in the air (pun intended).

Since I have not heard back from the Monster Garage folks about a
possible second attempt (they did do the Hearse re-visited build)
I'm not sure how I want to proceed at the moment, but I have been
leaning toward a possible build similar to the MG hover build.
Part of me wants to do it (with spare damaged panels), just to
prove that it could have been done, given the proper opportunity.

Monster Garage (UK) did a similar build last year with a Lotus,
but they did a lot of pre-fabrication work before the build and
although it did operate OK over land, it did have problems with
waves in the water, and it did not win the challenge against the
the British Navy's rapid deploy hovercraft.  Since it did work
(but did not win) they did not destroy the Lotus hovercraft.

I have had offers from the GT40RC build team to help construct a
Delorean Hovercraft similar to the "second" MG Delorean Hovercraft
that was attempted in the last 3 1/2 build days on the MG show.
With a twin engine setup (lift only in front, lift/thrust in back)
I do believe that this could be built similar to the MG hovercraft
design and could be made to look like a functional car as well.

As for my original Delorean Hover Conversion, I have most of the
panels removed prior to relocating them further back on the craft
for better weight distribution, but no new work has been done on
the DHC since I ran it and brought it back from the Memphis show.

Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 18:03:29 -0500
From: "Steve" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>
Subject: Re: Neon?

Yeah I found that. Looks like the only alternative, I just wasn't sure how
bright they would be. Do you have the site where you saw them on a car?

Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 23:24:22 -0000
From: "azman3us" <azman3us_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Rich on TV

VB - Thanks for posting this on your web site and agree it was great.

Keep playing and building Rich!

Randal - The 3M Guy
AZ-D Prez
Arizona DeLorean Club
5501

Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2005 00:25:26 -0000
From: "painterdave72" <painterdave72_at_dml_yahoo.com>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <steve_at_dml_f...> wrote:

> Anyone had any luck installing neon? It really doesn't look like
> there is any place to put it on the sides or rear (too close to
> muffler).
>

> Steve

Hey steve i have an underbody neon kit on my car. I put the rear tuybe in side
the rear bumjper so it shines out through the slots in the back of the bumper..
it looks pretty cool.. also the side ones are on the bottoms of the rockers thats
like the only place though i found.. Dave.. vin 15275.

Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 19:41:48 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

Its your guys show
so if you don't want a band fine
I am getting private e-mails that people liked it but I am for going  without
Right now this show is very very expensive so it will help balance the
budget a bit and allow me to bring over maybe Jim Prentice and George  Crane

We will do like we did Thursday and have the DJ in the background
I heard no problems there he knows to keep it as a low background and I do
need a means of public address to keep you informed so he helps keep things
going

We also will be outside so we will need something

OK

That's what we are doing
The Great OZ (you guys) has spoken

Now no complaints please that there is no band  LOL

Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 18:42:00 -0600
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>
Subject: Re: Music at DCS 2006

I would have to agree with those people who think music at dinner is
distracting and interferes with conversation.

I too have hearing that is getting bad and the music makes it very hard
to hear.  I would rather see the music money spent
on other things in 2006.  Like getting more celebrities. There is a Doc
brown look and act alike.  eg.

BOB

Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 22:01:41 -0500
From: "Steve" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Neon? & Now Fuel Pump

Bottom of the rockers? You mean on the outside? Any photos?

On another note I think I have some sort of fuel pump problem. Started
getting a VERY LOUD buzzing sound coming from what sounds like behind the
right front wheel. It also appears to be causing a surging at idle. Knowing
how impeccably Ken kept this car (and replaced everything conceivable) I
doubt it is a blockage. Guess I have to start taking things apart tomorrow.

Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2005 03:20:01 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Faulty Coolant Temp Sender/Stuck Thermostats

Gauge could simply be getting false input from a dying coolant temp
sender. They don't live forever (not long after 100,000 miles is my
experience) -- something for DeLo owners to keep in mind as our
vehicles begin to accumulate miles. PRV sender is located towards the
rear of the passenger side head.

Thermostats do come in a variety of temp ranges. But indeed there's no
need to change them with the seasons.

And thermostats do get stuck open or closed, especially if hard tap
water is run through the cooling system. I've rescued many vehicles
from the northeast, which is full of mineral deposits. Their
thermostats invariably come encrusted with calcium like deposits. One
nice thing about the PRV thermostat is easy access and no need for a
cardboard gasket, which makes emergency removal in a stuck closed
situation much easier.

Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 19:20:17 -0800
From: "Gary Hull" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

The other disadvantage of having a band/entertainer during the "conversation
period" is that they tend to get offended if people don't pay attention to
them (not to mention any names from the last show :-)

Gary
IN2TIME

Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 21:48:39 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Have a look at this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=48445&item=7946177259&rd=1

>From: "Steve" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>
>To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
>Subject: Re: [DML] Neon?
>Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 18:03:29 -0500
>

>Yeah I found that. Looks like the only alternative, I just wasn't sure how
>bright they would be. Do you have the site where you saw them on a car?
>
>Thanks
>Steve

[moderator snip]

Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 00:40:40 -0500
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: not neon- L.E.D.

Follow the link to the DeLorean Car Show http://www.deloreancarshow.com/<http://www.deloreancarshow.com/>

Click on Thursday night and you can see my car. STNLESS

I used L.E.D. tubes which are capable of 7 different colors and many different patterns of strobe.
L.E.D.'s  not only offer the color change, but are brighter than neon, use less current, and also are less likely to break.

I specifically installed the side skirts for an area to install the tubes in. The front air dam also allows more room for the front tube. Also, since I have the the twin turbos, I do not have a rear muffler and thus could mount the tube in that position.

Feel free to contact me if you need any further information.

Cecil Longwisch
DMC1982 at msn.com

  Anyone had any luck installing neon? It really doesn't look like
  there is any place to put it on the sides or rear (too close to
  muffler).

  moderators_at_dml_dmcnews.com<mailto:moderators_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

  For more info on the list, tech articles, cars for sale see www.dmcnews.com<http://www.dmcnews.com/>

Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2005 14:54:51 -0000
From: "smileksr" <michaelbarth_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Disspelling the myth of storage

I am a loyal reader to the DMC news emails I get every day.  I hear
a lot of owners talk about storing their D's over the winter and
such.  What I can't figure out is, why?  I live in western
Massachusetts, we get a ton of snow (right now as a matter of fact),
and I drive my D to and from work every day.  Had no problems
related to the snow or cold temps.  I get out of work, and there is
4" of snow on my Delorean, and I get out the ice scraper like
everyone else.  And I make it home just fine.

Maybe people fear a fender-bender in the winter?  Maybe people think
that the Delorean runs best in warm weather?  Who knows.  My car
runs like new, purrs like a kitten even on the coldest morning.  Has
to be warmed up like you'd expect from any 20+ year-old car.

Hmmm...Anyone else "out there" that has no fear, like me?

Mike Barth
Monson, MA
#6528 (I think?)

Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 11:29:07 -0500
From: "Ken - Digital Devices" <ken_at_dml_digital-devices.net>
Subject: DCS Music.. A suggestion from a while BACK

Somebody mentioned a GREAT group a while back, I personally know I would
love to see them there ..

The Hill Valley Preservation Society

http://www.hvps.org/hvps2.html

they seem like they could be a REALLY fun band.

However, I think it would take some coaxing as they say on the webpage that
they have no more shows!

Just a suggestion!

Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 11:55:14 -0500
From: Peter Lucas <lucas_at_dml_Maya.com>
Subject: Re: Disspelling the myth of storage

On Jan 8, 2005, at 9:54 AM, smileksr wrote:

> I am a loyal reader to the DMC news emails I get every day.  I hear
> a lot of owners talk about storing their D's over the winter and
> such.  What I can't figure out is, why?

I would love to drive my D all winter. There is only one reason I
don't, and that is salt. There is just no way around the inevitable
cumulative damage that road salt would do to the mild steel frame.

The Pearce Design Stainless steel frame is pricey, but it sure is
tempting for exactly this reason.

--Pete Lucas

Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 12:03:58 -0500
From: "Rustproof" <Rustproof_at_dml_comcast.net>

I live in eastern Massachusetts and my D sleeps like a baby in a Carcoon all
winter. It's not a matter of fear. It's a matter of NOT having your car
disolved from the inside out by the salt they put on our roads. The D's soft
underbelly consists of an epoxy coated mild steel frame and suspension. One
little chip in the frame's epoxy coating and your on your way to
Palookaville. Trust me on this. I wouldn't let the Mass. Department of
Public works spew that crap on my car. You may as well spray the underside
of your car with battery acid every day.  (Sodium Chloride (NaCl & H2O =
Electrolyte) I've lived here all my life. Every car I've owned, at some
point,  ended up with rust or rot no matter how I babied it. The Delorean is
no exception. Brother, It's no myth. You just might be well on your way to
providing us all with another "parts" car some day. Get yourself a beater
car and put the D away. Just my two cents.

Rustproof (Not really)

Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2005 17:14:16 -0000
From: "birdwell77095" <birdwells_at_dml_usa.net>
Subject: Your help is needed in the Chonology Listing

I've been helping Knut Grimsrud add VINs to the Delorean chronology
listing. The information published so far can be found at
http://www.dmcnews.com/faq/n_chron.htm (click on lower left picture
to get pdf file with list). Information we're looking for is VIN
number, interior color (black or gray), transmission type (auto or 5
speed) and location. Please check the list to see if your car is
listed. Let me know by private email if your car is missing or if any
of the information is wrong. Tell me the last four or five digits of
the VIN and any additional information you have. Also, I need the
same information on any Deloreans that are no longer in service such
as those in junkyards, parted out, etc. Thanks for your help.

SHannon

Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2005 17:07:50 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_o...> wrote:

> Josh and others,
>
> The future of my Hover Conversion is up in the air (pun intended).
>
> Since I have not heard back from the Monster Garage folks about a
> possible second attempt (they did do the Hearse re-visited build)
> I'm not sure how I want to proceed at the moment, but I have been
> leaning toward a possible build similar to the MG hover build.
> Part of me wants to do it (with spare damaged panels), just to
> prove that it could have been done, given the proper opportunity.
<SNIP>

The Monster Garage episode with the hovercraft DeLorean did not sit well at all with many
DeLorean owners. To see a salvageable car get torn up, then a 2nd underbody consumed
in the process, and then to see DeLorean owners become the target of the shows jokes
angered allot of people. And the fact that at the end of the show, the car was destroyed by
another hovercraft didn't exactly help things either to win you, or the others on the show
allot of favor with people.

Yes, a DeLorean could be modified into a hovercraft. It could be done. And matter of
factly, if you really wanted to prove this, you and the MG build team blew your opprotunity
to do so. And now you're talking about doing the same thing that you and your team did
that ruined your chances on the show. Talking about using "spare damaged panels". You
don't bolt some body panels onto an existing hovercraft, and then call it a "Hovercraft
DeLorean". All you've done at that point is fabricate a body kit. And that is the point that
Jessie James was trying to get across to your team on the show. And now you want to do
that again...

Rich, please. For the sake of nothing else, but to let sleeping dogs lie, let it go.

Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 12:19:42 -0500
From: "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net>

When I lived in NY and WI, it was RUST that I feared from the salt.

Jack.

#6528 (I think?)

Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 11:22:56 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

How many years have you been driving your car to work everyday in the
winter?

Do they use road salt?

The only other person i know that does this has a SS frame and the
other that did this had to upgrade to a SS frame because his original
was so rotted out.

Mark V

Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2005 17:18:05 -0000
From: "birdwell77095" <birdwells_at_dml_usa.net>
Subject: Houston Mardi Gras Parade Saturday January 22

There will be a Mardi Gras parade in Houston on Saturday January 22nd
from 10:00 - 12:00. A few of us in Houston are planning on
participating. Please contact me if you are interested in
participating and I will email you the information. Anyone interested
from the D-FW or San Antonio clubs interested in coming?

Shannon

Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 12:35:43 -0600
From: "Duke" <at88mph_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

I don't have this problem since I live in the south, but if I lived up north
or anywhere that saw snow, I wouldn't drive mine either.  It would make me
worry about the frame too much.

> Click on Thursday night and you can see my car. STNLESS
>
> I used L.E.D. tubes which are capable of 7 different colors and many different patterns of strobe.
> L.E.D.'s  not only offer the color change, but are brighter than neon, use less current, and also are less likely to break.

Why not post a link directly to the page in question?  I poked around a bit, and never found what you're referring to.

Regards,
Owen

Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2005 18:50:13 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Piston rings + sleeves

Hey guys- does anyone know where I can just get some cylinder sleeves
without having to buy pistons with them as well? How bout a better
source for rings (351.24 from DMCH is rediculous I get rings for a V12
diablo for less!). My move to CA is approaching and want to rebuild
the motor before I take on the 3000 mile journey. Eventually I will be
removing the stainless fuel lines as well as the fuel distributor and
all those fuel parts, I am going carburation if anyone is interested
in the parts-but it will be a few months. Thanx guys!! -----Dani B.