From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2420
Date: Thursday, January 13, 2005 5:12 PM

1. DeLorean clubs back east
From: "Cory" <mrdelorean88_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Re: Prototype 1 is on Ebay.
From: "lp1121xxx" <LP1121XXX_at_dml_aol.com>

3. Re: Prototype 1 is on Ebay.
From: "lp1121xxx" <LP1121XXX_at_dml_aol.com>

4. Proto 1
From: "lp1121xxx" <LP1121XXX_at_dml_aol.com>

5. Re: PRV Oil/Camshaft Problems
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

6. Re: Super Charged PRV
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

7. Re: Volvo PRV Camshaft TSB
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

8. Re: Super Charged PRV
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

9. Re: Prototype car and engine teardown
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

10. Re: Proto 1
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

11. Re: Proto 1
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Re: Proto 1
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Opinions on this car?
From: "istewart88" <istewart88_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Super Charged PRV
From: nicholden_at_dml_yahoo.com

15. Re: Prototype car and engine teardown
From: Jack Stiefel <jackstiefel_at_dml_gmail.com>

16. QUESTIONS ON RUST AND LAMBDA LIGHT
From: "Carl Davis" <carldavis_at_dml_familykia.com>

17. Re: Re: Prototype 1 is on Ebay.
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Re: Opinions on this car?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

19. Re: Proto 1
From: "p12c16" <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

20. RE: QUESTIONS ON RUST AND LAMBDA LIGHT
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

21. Prototype 1...IS SOLD!
From: "yaco4455" <yaco4455_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. RE: Super Charged PRV
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>

23. Re: DCS Music.. A suggestion from a while BACK
From: Hank <heskin_at_dml_gmail.com>

24. Re: Super Charged PRV
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

25. Re: DCS Music.. A suggestion from a while BACK
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 00:20:49 -0000
From: "Cory" <mrdelorean88_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DeLorean clubs back east

Greetings all,
   I have to ask if there is a DeLorean club located around the
Tennesse area. I have gone back there and wondered, I remember in PF
i saw a few license plates from Tennessee and well i was wondering.
Even though im in Arizona, curiosity just gets the best of ya.
hasta,
Cory C

Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 00:59:50 -0000
From: "lp1121xxx" <LP1121XXX_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Prototype 1 is on Ebay.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <hollywood2311_at_dml_g...> wrote:

> Now the prototype is gone...
>
> A fake, possibly?
>

> --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "delowalk" <delowalk_at_dml_y...> wrote:
> >

> > http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
> > ViewItem&rd=1&item=4518870535&category=31830

Not a fake. The car is sold.

Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 01:03:00 -0000
From: "lp1121xxx" <LP1121XXX_at_dml_aol.com>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <v-davidj_at_dml_m...> wrote:

> As one of the people seriously bidding on this car, I did my homework
> before making any bids.  After verification from reliable sources, and
> talking first hand with the owner of the car, I believe the auction to
> have been the real deal.  It is my suspicion that someone made a solid
> offer on the car, and the auction was ended.  (Possibly to save on
> eBay fees had the reserve been met?)
>
> If the auction was a farce, I can assure you that no money would have
> left my bank account until I was sitting in the car and looking at a
> legal receipt of sale.
>
> I am hoping that the new owner is on this alias and won't pull a
> Houdini with the car.  This car should be in the public and shared
> with this more than deserving group of DeLorean enthusiasts.
>
> Thanks!
> Dave Jacobs

Dave I'm sure the Delorean world will be happy when they find out who
bought it and what is going to be done with it.

Bren-Ten

Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 01:12:03 -0000
From: "lp1121xxx" <LP1121XXX_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Proto 1

Proto 1 indeed has a new owner. He was chosen by Bill Yacobozzi over
others as the one to look after it.  When the Delorean World finds out who
bought it and what is planed, I believe they will be very happy :)

Bren-Ten

Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 03:44:30 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: PRV Oil/Camshaft Problems

Those camshaft part numbers simply denote differences in lobe lift:

B27A 1976-79, B27E 1975-1978, B27F 1976-79:
Part #7910245522 (left) 5.144 mm
Part #7910245412 (right) 5.059 mm

B28A 1980, B27E 1979-80, B28F 1980:
Part #7401269138 (left) 6.004 mm
Part #7401269139 (right) 6.004 mm

B28A 1981-82, B28E 1981-83, B28F 1981-?:
Part #7401269615 (left) 5.96 mm
Part #7401269616 (right) 5.96 mm

Get an official Volvo produced B27/B28 rebuild manual -- doesn't
mention a word about differences in material composition, only lift
height.

You're also welcome to search all these links for any mention of
camshaft material differences:
http://members.fortunecity.com/douvrinprv/id30.html
http://members.fortunecity.com/douvrinprv/id31.html
http://members.fortunecity.com/douvrinprv/id32.html

For some reason DeLorean owners seem to be the only ones keeping the
camshaft rumor alive -- making lemonade from an engine they aren't
terribly thrilled to have in back of their cars to begin with?

>--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_a...> wrote:
>
> Bill,
>
> Thanks for your response. Concerning camshaft up grades in the post 1980
> B28F engines here is information from my PRV-6 B28F library.
Referring to
> the Hanes Volvo 260 Series Manuel ISBN 1 85010 287 2 Chapter 13
Supplement
> Revisions P-247 Section 3 reads: "On some 1980 and all 1981 and 1982
models
> new camshafts have been installed". Illustration 13.1 indicates the
new LH
> camshaft as #7401269616 and RH camshaft as #7401269615. I also have
> additional first hand experience on this subject.
>
> Back in 1989 I purchased a Volvo 260 GLE with the B-28F strictly for
> research proposes. At 64k miles the car was in great shape except for
> excessive valve chatter. As you well know valve noise in these
engines is
> not uncommon. As the miles increased so did the valve noise level. I
decided
> I would go ahead and perform a valve adjustment but when I removed
the valve
> covers I noticed that the rear oil passages had a much lower oil
flow volume
> compared to the front, I also observed discoloration of the camshaft
lobes
> in that area. I in turn called an associate of mine who owns Volset
Service,
> a Volvo engine service facility in Atlanta. He told me that this was a
> common problem and he had observed the same condition in many other
B-28F's
> of that era. Keep in mind that by that time I had already racked up
over 60k
> miles on my DeLorean. I was also several years into servicing
DeLorean's at
> DeLorean Services and was wondering why I had not seen this premature
> camshaft ware problem in any DeLorean's.
>
> About a year or so later, at 83K miles, my 260 GLE seized up from a
chewed
> up camshaft. As time passed my Volvo associate commented that it was
obvious
> to him that a modification was made to either the valve train oil
system or
> camshafts because he was no longer seeing the problem in 1981 and later
> B-28F's. When I retired my DeLorean engine at over 260k miles the valve
> train was still in good shape. Currently we have many DeLorean's
with over
> 100k miles, several at 200k, and a couple at 300k. With these facts
in mind,
> although there is no factory documentation concerning modification
of the
> oil passages, something obviously changed in the post 1980 B-28F's.
>
> FYI: In addition to two DeLorean's I also own a 1989 Volvo 760 GLE (very
> rare) with 193k on the clock and still running like new.
>
> DMC Joe

addresses
> the problem in terms lighter oil viscosity specification,
retroactive to the
> beginning of engine use, not enlarging oil passages or replacing early
> camshafts with later models.
> - The oil passage/camshaft rumor periodically rears it head in BBS's
such as
> swedishbricks.com and brickboard.com, only to be discredited by
Volvo owners

Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 03:48:02 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Super Charged PRV

Follow this link and go all the way to the bottom of the page to see
the picture.

http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/performance.html

Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 03:52:50 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Volvo PRV Camshaft TSB

I have what I believe is this TSB in the back of one of my 1985 B28F
manuals. Is printed in unjustified monospaced courier letters (manual
itself is justified and proportionally spaced Helvetica or some such).
Is only labeled "Supplementary Information". As soon as my friend with
the scanner comes back to town I'll upload it to #5939's photo album.

Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 04:14:06 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

>From the curve you can see that a supercharger is better at the lower
end of the chart but falls off towards the upper end. The turbo comes
in slower but peaks higher at the higher rpm's. It would be very
interesting to compare how the twin turbo looks. I would guess it
comes in a little lower, faster and has a smoother (and possibly
higher) peak. Superchargers are not as effective at the higher RPM's
as a turbo. Turbos are not as effective at the lower end of the curve.
Turbos give more peak horsepower and superchargers tend to give you
more torque. It would be nice to also be able to see the torque charts
as they compare to horsepower. The biggest drawback to a supercharger
is the difficulty in mounting it and powering it. There is a little
more flexablity with a turbocharger. This supercharger install sounds
like a "blow-through" where the turbos are a "pull-through". The
supercharger pushes air into the mixture unit and the turbos pull it
in. This points out the flexabilty of the fuel system to accomodate
different kinds of mods without a lot of changes to the fuel system
itself. In all cases the boost must be limited so you don't blow the
motor up and the timing must be changed to prevent detonation. It
would also be interesting to see what effect intercoolers have and how
much it improves the engine. We need someone to donate a lot of time
on a dyno!!!!!

Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 23:57:08 EST
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Prototype car and engine teardown

In a message dated 1/12/2005 5:54:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com writes:

<<this is still a lot easier to work on than my Jaguar engine  was.>>

Hi Ken-
Had to smile when I read that.  My son and I kept seeing Jags when we  were
looking to buy my D several years ago. Seems every one we looked at-  the owner
had a D and a Jag. We jokingly decided you had to have both. I  "cheated" and
only bought a D. I hope I'm not going to be in some sort of hot  water now
that this got out!   ;-)

Wayne A. Ernst

Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 00:09:53 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Proto 1

Just make sure he has it at Pheasant Run LOL

KEN

Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 05:39:48 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

It sounds like you know who had bought it. Can you please elaborate on
who the purchaser was? We'd all like to know, as it is a nice piece of
Delorean history.

Thanks if you can tell us.

Joe OBrien

Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 05:56:30 -0000
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I guess Rob Grady bought HUH??? It's in good hands now.
Harry #2696

Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 06:00:45 -0000
From: "istewart88" <istewart88_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Opinions on this car?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4519340074

This car is about 5 miles from my house and I was thinking of giving it a look. I'm sure
there's someone here who's dealt with electrical problems similar to what the seller's
describing; what could be possible causes? Would the fix be fairly major? The transmission
problem also sounds fairly egregious, would that be a major problem as well?

This is the third DeLorean this guy's posted in the past week or so, so I'll also try to find
out if he has any others to sell. Somewhat interesting because there was a dilapidated car
sitting locally whose owner I was pursuing a couple years ago, now all these pop up. :-D

Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 07:32:54 -0000
From: nicholden_at_dml_yahoo.com
Subject: Super Charged PRV

Hi all,

I am currently in the middle of fitting a supercharger to my engine.
I have done ALOT of reasearch into the possible fuel delivery
problems, detonation etc etc. I went to the extent of talking to a
performance shop who had the software to do predicted fuel flows
graphs working off the current known preasures, injector flows, boost
preasures etc.

In the end i decided without modification to the K-jetronic to
enrichen the mixture at higher rmp it would be more than possible but
probibly not desirable for the chance of it maybe leaning out too
much and causing engine damage.
I have seen this first hand on a subaru WRX that came in for a miss
at idle and slight smoke under boost. All the guy had done was put a
HUGE exhaust on it off the turbo and under high boost it had leaned
out and melted a hole in the side of the piston! I had seen a
thousand other cars with the same exhaust and never a problem.

As my fuel system was needing alot of money spending on it anyway i
decided to strip the entire system off including fuel lines and
replace to whole lot with an EFI set up. I have had to modify some
injectors to sitt inside the head as far as the originals and i had
some costom rails manufactured. I will be purchasing an adjustable
preasure regulator and probibly a microtech control module which will
also have full control over the distributor timing. (i had to
disconnect the vaccum advance and weld the bob weights up)
I will be making a custom manifold and i have a GM 3.8 litre throttle
body with a throttle position sensor already attatched. I will also
be fitting a bosch 'boost return valve' to the intake side, so under
decelleration and at idle it will re-circulate the boost so the
engine unlike most after market super chargers will not be 'boosting'
all the time, lightening the load on the engine.

I am fitting an Eaton M45 blower due to the fact i already had it. If
i hadn't for ease of fitting i would go with the same style as the
one pictured on the web. Due to the nature of the Eaton i will be
bringing the intake around the back of the engine and have a K&N
filter sitting vertically inbetween the now empty valley and sucking
air from the void inbetween the engine cover and the rear louvers (
the engine cover will need a hole cutting in it for this). As for the
bottom pulley i am having one the original one modified so i can
attatch another one to the front of it.

I hope for this to be almost finished in the next 6-9 months along
with my RHD conversion and complete restoration, didnt realise the
size of the job when i started! You can see a few progress pictures
on the Australian Delorean web site

www.zeta.org.au/~lanceh/owners/nsw/holden.htm

Cheers Nick 10927

Message: 21
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 14:04:02 -0000
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I was browsing some of the photos in my collection and came across a
photo I have of a huge belt driven super charger on a PRV.
Does anyone know anything about this?
I would like to know how well it works, how much it costs and
how hard it was to do.
It looks like they had to move the water bottle...
Thanks.

Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 07:22:06 -0500
From: Jack Stiefel <jackstiefel_at_dml_gmail.com>

1981 DeLorean and 1988 Jaguar XJ-SC (Cabriolet model).  I have had
very little to do on the Jag since I got it over 5 years ago, I feel
very lucky in that respect.

I know James Espey has a Jag now, we talked about it at PF.

I guess the pattern is materializing.

--
Jack Stiefel - Tampa, Fl   DMC Vin 03461

Parrot Head Radio http://www.fmtimemachine.com

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -- Adam Savage

Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 08:09:18 -0500
From: "Carl Davis" <carldavis_at_dml_familykia.com>
Subject: QUESTIONS ON RUST AND LAMBDA LIGHT

Hello I am looking to purchase my first Delorean, I have two questions(well
actually I have alot, but I will stick with two fro now)  . I had the
vehcile inspected(it is in another state) and the inspector stated that the
Lambda light was on, what exactly does this mean and is it something to be
concerned about? the vehicle drives fine. 2. I looked at a Delorean locally
and there was heavy amount of rust below the torsion bars when you raised
the doors up, is this a common problem? Thanks for any help

Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 05:50:30 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Prototype 1 is on Ebay.

Chrome wheels, with spinners...  and LOTS of neon??

:)

http://my.yahoo.com

Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 17:05:47 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Opinions on this car?

Worse than what appears to be easily correctable problems is the
SALVAGE TITLE!!!!! In many States this means you CANNOT ever register
the car and drive it on a public street. In some States you can get it
registered but it involves a lot of paperwork and some kind of through
inspection. Before you think of buying this particular car you should
check it's history as to why it is a salvage title and then, if you
still think you want it, see what it will take to get the car
registered in your State if possible at all. As for the problems, the
transmission may be a linkage problem, possibly a frozen pivot on the
trans. (It could also be a lot more serious, you won't know until you
disconnect the linkage.) The taillights are fairly common as is the
heater motor. Expect many other "little" things that aren't even
mentioned. To buy this car either the owner must be fairly handy on
cars or have a good mechanic nearby and a lot of disposable income.
Not long ago there was a salvage Delorean from a flood. I don't know
if this is the same one but it could be. It would account for the
salvage title, the trans problem and the electrical problems. There is
a reason that there are now salvage titles. This is a RED FLAG that at
some point in the car's history it was totaled and given up for dead.
You may be buying nothing more than a pile of parts that happens to
LOOK like a car! A parts car is worth around $3-4,000 if it is mostly
intact.

Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 17:23:04 -0000
From: "p12c16" <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

I'm anxious to hear who bought it too.  They must have made quite an
offer for the seller to end the auction at $95,000 with 5 days to go.
 My guess is that Steve Wynne was the one who bought it, and if so it
is in very good hands. But whoever now owns it, just make sure it
comes to Pheasant Run, regardless of what shape it is in!

Patrick
1880

Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 11:54:06 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: QUESTIONS ON RUST AND LAMBDA LIGHT

Carl, The Lambda counter can be re-set very easy and the light being on is a
reminder it time to replace the 02 sensor and maybe a tune up. You can call
me and I will explain further.
am till Pam
972-564-9321

Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 18:37:27 -0000
From: "yaco4455" <yaco4455_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Prototype 1...IS SOLD!

Hello Dear Friends,
This is Bill Yacobozzi Jr. I would like to take a moment and let
everyone know that the Prototype 1 is indeed sold! I want to thank
everyone who was interested in the car. The response was
overwhelming. I am convinced that the new owner is the right owner
for this car. This is a piece of history that will indeed go on
proudly. Again I want to thank everyone!

Bill

Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 09:43:02 -0700
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>

can you give more details/pictures on the injectors??

Thanx,
Darkstar

Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 14:09:31 -0500
From: Hank <heskin_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: DCS Music.. A suggestion from a while BACK

> This is a good suggestion and I need to figure out how to make it work
> Maybe we use a band outside and leave the convention center without music

I also like having music inside, but as background only.

How about this? Have the band crank outside, and for music inside and
during the show and dinner events, have an iPod (or any MP3 player of
your choice) loaded up with a wide selection of popular music from the
40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's+.  Then each hour, play random
songs from each decade (maybe the 60's at 6PM, etc).  Or just shuffle
the entire playlist, depending on the mood of the event and/or special
requests.

I'm assuming that Pheasant Run pays their ASCAP and/or BMI fees, so
copyrights shouldn't be an issue, or does DCS have to pay these fees
independently for the event?

I'm willing to volunteer the MP3 player and load it up with music and
bring it to the show, although I might need some help on selecting
popular music from the 40s and 50s. ;)

-Hank

Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 19:49:09 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Hi Nick

Before you go any further, go and find yourself a Renault 25 Turbo - I
think they have those in Australia and that's a PRV just waiting for a
supercharger. Made for it too with larger crank, valve timing & cams for
forced induction, sodium cooled valves and EFI ready and waiting. Just
take off and sell the Garrett T3 that comes as standard. If you're going
distributorless anyway, and you've got a DeLorean block to start with,
you can swap all the back end and ancillaries strait over so apart from
the intake manifold, it'll look identical. Talking of which, I have a
friend with an Alpine which is getting a supercharged 3 litre 24v PRV
and he's using an Australian-sourced "Wolf3D" ECU - might be useful to you?

Martin

Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 15:42:23 -0500
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

Hank suggested we use an MP3 palyer or such inside
We do have a DJ so he could always play inside but what I have  now is outisde DJ no band
If that is not what the concensus wants then I need to know
Again this is your show and for the music inside this time I am going to do what the majority on this list that attended at least one show want.
I also understand that the ones against music are more vocal than those that like music although the music lovers are starting to come in like Hank did.

So I am monitoring this thread and would can use a DJ inside so that Hank can enjoy the show instead of monitoring the equipment.  The DJ did a great job at PF and I had nothing but compliments,  Since he got his new equipment he has been able to control volume etc much better