From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2422
Date: Friday, January 14, 2005 12:15 PM

1. Re: The New Owner Of Proto 1 is.......
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

2. RE: DCS Music.. A suggestion from a while BACK
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>

3. Draining and Replacing Delorean Antifreeze
From: "cambpd" <cambpd_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. RE: The New Owner Of Proto 1 is.......
From: "Jason Sisto" <wizard_at_dml_tdgllc.com>

5. Proto 1 and 2006 shows
From: "lp1121xxx" <LP1121XXX_at_dml_aol.com>

6. Re: Opinions on this car?
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

7. Re: Opinions on this car?
From: "istewart88" <istewart88_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: The New Owner Of Proto 1 is.......
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

9. RE: The New Owner Of Proto 1 is.......
From: "Jeff Chabotte" <jchabotte_at_dml_adelphia.net>

10. Re: DeLorean clubs back east
From: <delorsche_at_dml_bellsouth.net>

11. RE: Re: PRV Oil/Camshaft Problems
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

12. Re: The New Owner Of Proto 1 is.......
From: "Nun Yah" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Re: PRV Oil/Camshaft Problems
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

14. RE: Super Charged PRV
From: nicholden_at_dml_yahoo.com

15. Re: The New Owner Of Proto 1 is.......
From: dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com

16. Re: The New Owner Of Proto 1 is.......
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

17. [ADMIN]Files/Photos Housekeeping
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

18. Re: Re: Opinions on this car?
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

19. Re: Re: The New Owner Of Proto 1 is.......
From: Murray Fisher <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net>

20. Re: Opinions on this car?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

21. Super Charged/EFI
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. Re: Re: The New Owner Of Proto 1 is.......
From: LP1121XXX_at_dml_aol.com

23. Re: Draining and Replacing Delorean Antifreeze
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

24. Removing the DeLorean radio
From: "Robert J. Wilson" <rjwilson62_at_dml_yahoo.com>

25. Re: Re: Opinions on this car?
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 23:37:57 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: The New Owner Of Proto 1 is.......

That is totally cool, and I wish you the best of luck! Especially on a car that I thought was
supposed to have been destroyed along time ago...

Any chance that durring the process of your restoration, we can see some in depth photos
of some of this car's engineering aspects? In particular, I've always wondered about how
Bill Collins wanted to mount the sub frames to the underbody. Are they simply bolted to
tthe underbody, or are there any steel supports that were supposed to have been moulded
in? (like the spider cage on tthe production car)

Good luck, and congratulations! I look forward to seeing this car in person in a few
months!

Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 17:36:27 -0600
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>
Subject: RE: DCS Music.. A suggestion from a while BACK

As long as the noise level is kept down, background music is acceptable.

I do not want to have to shout or be shouted at to be heard above the
"music".

Scott Mueller 002981

Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 23:46:55 -0000
From: "cambpd" <cambpd_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Draining and Replacing Delorean Antifreeze

Help! Can anyone tell me how to go about draining and replacing the
antifreeze in the Delorean.  I haven't changed antifreeze in any car
in years so it may be simple, but I can't find any instructions in
owner's or shop manual.

Thanks!,

Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 18:55:11 -0500
From: "Jason Sisto" <wizard_at_dml_tdgllc.com>

Congratulations Tony and I am happy to see the car go to someone who will not only appreciate and take care of it, but who will also share it with the rest of the DeLorean community.

With that, I would like to extend my help and assistance in ANYTHING that you may need to maintain and show this wonderful piece of DeLorean history.  I am sure that there are many other DeLorean owners out there who feel and will do the same.

Best of luck and I look forward to meeting you and your "three babies" in the near future!!

Jason

Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 00:07:15 -0000
From: "lp1121xxx" <LP1121XXX_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Proto 1 and 2006 shows

I stated in my other post that Proto 1 would go to Chicago and then off to
belfast. I had the shows reversed. The Belfast show is first in May and then
Chicago in June so it should be at both shows and restored by then.

Tony Ierardi

Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 00:07:01 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: Opinions on this car?

Since it's a classic car, the "Salvage Title" thing is up in the air. That means that it's one of
two things: 1. It was wrecked pretty bad. or 2. It was in a minor collision, or even stolen or
vandalized, and while the car was more than repairable, they just elected to write it off,
and junk the car. Remember, with vintage cars, a "Salavage Title" isn't a death sentance.

As for the little problems, yeah, you'll have something here and there. And whever you
deal with used cars, something else is ALWAYS going to pop up on you, no matter what
car you own. Electrical problems can be a bitch to identify, but as along as you've got
patience, some knowlege, and a good set of tools, you'll be able to solve them all. Some
easier than others of course, but you'll get them all fixed, no doubt.

As for the transmission, I'm not concerned about it at all. I had the EXACT same problem
with my D. Turns out that the shift cable was misadjusted. You can easily test thing by
doing the following. With the motor running, and the clutch is in, lift up on the gear
selector, like you're going to shift into reverse, and slide the gear shift over, a ¼" or less.
Push forward, and I'll bet you that the car will slide into 1st gear smoother than silk. From
there, just pull back, and 2nd gear should be just as smooth too. The biggest concerns
with this car, will be cosmetic damage, over mechanical, most likely.

Overall, I'd advise you to take an existing DeLorean owner with you, to inspect the car.
Because after all, who knows what they may find, that you could miss. I still believe that
existing DeLorean owners that are buying a 2nd car should still take someone with them,
just for the extra pair of eyes.

This car seems like a perfect canidate for becoming a Daily Driver from what I've seen.
Yeah, if you want to get rid of the "Salvage Title", you'll need to jump thru a couple of
hoops here and there. But over all, it would most certainly be worth it, if you got this car
for a reasonable price. Damn that is a clean engine compartment...

I still have to laugh at the city where the seller is located. He lives in the town of "Lard". If
only more people in Cali took the time to learn some Spanish...

Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 00:30:30 -0000
From: "istewart88" <istewart88_at_dml_yahoo.com>

My grandfather successfully registered a 1974 VW bus he pulled out of a junkyard with a
salvage title here in CA, so that's probably not as big a hurdle as it seems. It remains to be
seen whether I actually bid on it (don't really wanna deal through eBay if the car is local),
but apparently I'll be able to look at it on Sunday. The damaged stainless is kinda
worrying. I doubt this is a flood car, as it has a CA license plate and the only flood car I
remember was back east. There is a history of flooding around here, but I don't see any
obvious flood damage. Are there any other potentially fatal problems (like frame rust or
something similar) that would be immediately obvious in person?

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_w...> wrote:

> Worse than what appears to be easily correctable problems is the
> SALVAGE TITLE!!!!!
<snip>

Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 18:40:03 -0600
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

Tony,

Glad to here Proto 1 went to a good home with someone who has the money
to do it up right.

I can't wait to see this car in PR.

BOB

Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 20:26:20 -0500
From: "Jeff Chabotte" <jchabotte_at_dml_adelphia.net>

I forsee the license plate "Proto1" or "1ST-DMC"

-Jeff Chabotte
Norwich, CT

Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 21:36:00 -0500
From: <delorsche_at_dml_bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: DeLorean clubs back east

A few of us (in Tennessee) have a club called the Mid-South DeLorean Motor Club (MSDMC).  We have an internet site at http://www.msdmc.com/.  Go have a look at the site - it will hopefully answer any questions you might have about us.

Sean Howley
VIN#2345
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 21:46:12 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: RE: Re: PRV Oil/Camshaft Problems

 Bill,

You said:

"For some reason DeLorean owners seem to be the only ones keeping the
camshaft rumor alive -- making lemonade from an engine they aren't terribly
thrilled to have in back of their cars to begin with?"
======================================================================================================================================================================================Bill, check out the following concerning this subject from non-DeLorean
sources.

>From The Volvo Owner's Resource Re: 90 760 6cyl[ALL/1998] posted by Paul S.
on Sunday, 28 December 1997

"The worst part and what gained the hatred for this motor is the dreaded
B27F - and in particular the head oiling and soft cam shafts - a recipe for
disaster. To make maters worse the bloody French PR team (sorry :-0 ), with
Volvo along for the ride, did almost exactly the same thing on the early
B28F. There is even a service bulletin on cleaning the head and oil
passages."

>From Volvobertone.com/
"I read that the original v6s had "soft cams' and a sorry internal
lubrication system, which almost always led to premature death. Did they
ever improve on that design and if so, what model/year Volvos were they used
in and would they swap into a 79 262C?"

>From Mälardalens Studentkåreneral - info about camshafts "Some old
Volvo-camshafts are not so well done, they easily run down and have
lubrication problems, the rear end of the camshaft has a oil-outlet that is
wrong drilled."

========================================================================================================================================================================================
As you are well aware lots of DeLorean hopeful's and new owners view this
list. Weather we talk soft cams or lubrication problems it all boils down to
premature failure of B-28F camshafts or simply; engine failure. If a
prospective purchaser is daunted by potential frame rust problems, high
insurance rates or the cost of extensive restoration or repairs that is
understandable. They should not however, be turned away because of rumors
concerning early engine failure.

The facts concerning pre-mature camshaft failure is proven in statistics.
Cam failure in pre 1981 PRV-6 equipped vehicles is common but virtually
non-existent for post 1981 DeLorean and succeeding PRV's.

DMC Joe

Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 03:19:48 -0000
From: "Nun Yah" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>

 When is the open house? I just checked the DMCH web site and only
found Marti Gras 2005. Also, congratulations Tony. It's a priceless
car to own and a once in a life time opportunity.

  -Josh

Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 04:44:41 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: PRV Oil/Camshaft Problems

Perhaps we should have a poll to see how many delorean owners
experienced Camshaft problems? -----Dani B. #5003

Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 06:54:28 -0000
From: nicholden_at_dml_yahoo.com
Subject: RE: Super Charged PRV

Hi, the injectors i used were bosch 280 150 901. They were the
longest i found. To get even more depth i had to cut the injector
tube/sleve that sticks out of the head, level with the head and
machine the body of the injector above the o-ring seal so it would
fit inside the injector tube and allow the seal to bottom out. This
then allows the tip of the injector to be level with the inside of
intake chamber so the injector isn't spraying inside the injector
tube. These injectors were off an Australian 3.8L GM car. I believe
the same engine may come out in a Buick in the states?

Will post some more pics when i get the intake and supercharger
mounted.

Cheers Nick 10927

can you give more details/pictures on the injectors??

Thanx,
Darkstar

Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 09:17:21 -0000
From: dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com

Hi Tony,

Congrats on the purchase of the prototype DMC, it is a really
beautiful and important car. I would love to see some pictures of the
restoration process, do you think you might create a webpage to
document it?
I hope you can bring the car over here to Ireland for the 25th
Anniversary show in 2006, I would love to see it!
I'm sure if and when a major motion picture is made of the DeLorean
story (along the same lines as the Tucker movie), your prototype car
will play a very important part in it. It is the best (DeLorean-
related!) news I've had in a long time that this car has survived all
these years, and that it will be properly restored to original
condition, and displayed so that all DeLorean owners can have a
chance to see it.
The very best of luck with the restoration.

John Dore, Ireland.
Vin 3810.

Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 09:18:06 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Talking of which, if you (Tony) need any help with engine parts, drop me
a line as the prototype has a Citroen engine. Citroen is a common make
over here, I drive one myself actually.

Best Wishes

Martin
UK

Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 14:39:17 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: [ADMIN]Files/Photos Housekeeping

Once again the Yahoo files are getting full. If you have stored any
files or photos there make sure it's not your only copy, because I'll
be doing some clean-up over the weekend. Large files of personal car
photos generally get deleted first.

If you have items that should be made available permanantly please
send them to me off-list (or juet point them out before I delete
stuff) and I'll park them in the Tech Section or other areas of
www.dmcnews.com.

Dave S  swingle(at)dmcnews.com

Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 15:07:10 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Re: Opinions on this car?

Salvage titles may not be a death sentence, however they do limit
the value of the car to collectors.  A good rule of thumb is that
a salvage title will knock 1/3 off of the value of the car even if
it is otherwise perfect.

-------------- Original message from "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>: --------------

Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 05:35:25 -0800
From: Murray Fisher <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net>
Subject: Re: Re: The New Owner Of Proto 1 is.......

Anyone interested in a quite detailed article re the Proto 1 should look
in the  "DW Magazine" for Summer 2004 Vol 1 #4".    Excellent article by
Sascha  Skucek with a lot of photos, re Bill Yacobozzi's original
aquisition of the car. (and Bill himself!)  VERY well documented.  In
those photo's it sure does not look like it needs any restoration, but
then who am I to know!!   So many interesting features that did not make
it to the production cars.   Tan leather.  Sliding plexi windows.  Full
width padded "shelf" below the main dash.  Fans BEHIND the four cylinder
Citroen mid engine.  Engine hood hinged at the rear.  Front storage MUCH
deeper and hinged at the rear.  Bill said he "fired it up" without
hesitation in 1984 but never drove it and everything was still original
including the original "flat" tires!! It had the same 741 miles on it as
when he purchased it.

Murray
Vin: 05962
Lic: DMC-XII

Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 15:16:29 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Just because it has a CA plate doesn't rule out that it is not flood
car. Get the history and find out WHY it is a salvage title. It isn't
obvious from it's description and the lack of serious damage. Cars get
a salvage title when an insurance company decides it will cost more to
fix it than it is worth. Things to look for:
Odors or smells in the passenger compartment
Moisture on the inside of the glass and/or mold
Watermarks or stains
Rusty hardware inside the passenger compartment
Loose epoxy on the frame and/or large areas of heavy rust or missing
metal in the front crumple zone or the engine mounting area
Bent parts underneath the car like the frame, control arms, brackets, etc.
Your best bet is to get someone who has some familiarity with a
Delorean and get it up on a lift. The real money is spent underneath
the shiny Stainless Steel body panels. Not all that long ago there
were a lot of new cars flooded in the South. TV news shows warned
people in the Northeast that New Car Dealers cleaned these cars up and
shipped them to other dealers in the Northeast where flood cars were
not expected. On modern cars when they are flooded past the rockers
they are automatically totaled. With all of the wiring and connectors
and computers once they get wet they are never right again. Do your
homework and you will find out either this car is a bargain with some
problems or maybe you will want to pass on this one. Just because it
is close to you don't overpay for it. There are plenty of Deloreans,
keep looking and you will find the "right" one.

Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 07:32:54 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Super Charged/EFI

Did you look in to using injectors from a 3.0L Eagle
Premier?  They should work.

Jim Witherspoon did a nice EFI conversion on his
DeLorean.  I think that car has since been sold, but
if you search the DML archives you can find his
messages on the topic where much detail was provided.

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 10:47:33 EST
From: LP1121XXX_at_dml_aol.com

Thanks John,
 It will be in Ireland in 2006. I just spoke with Robert Lamrock and it's all
set.

Thanks again,
Tony

Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 15:35:18 -0000
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: Draining and Replacing Delorean Antifreeze

Hi Mike.  There's a few things you gotta do: remove the lower hose at
the engine on the right side and drain from there.  If you have the
upgraded metal radiator, you should have a petcock drain you can
unscrew.  Otherwise, remove the lower hose on the radiator.

I recommend you flush the system thouroughly including the heater
core.  The two hoses going to it are inside the spare tire access
panel on the right.

To drain and flush faster, you can remove the plugs on each side of
the engine block.

When you replace the fluid, don't forget to bleed the air out both at
the engine and at the radiator.  The easist way is to use a pressure
tester at LOW pressure.  Be very careful at the radiator.  If you are
using a stock rad, the bleed hose is attched at the upper right and is
fitted onto a plastic connector.  If you are not gentle, you will
break it off and a new radiator is in your near future.

Oh, and before you ask and start a anti-freeze war, just use a good
green anti-freeze that's safe for aluminum.

Johnny
5518

Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 16:05:58 -0000
From: "Robert J. Wilson" <rjwilson62_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Removing the DeLorean radio

Hello,

This is my first time asking for help on dmcnews so here it goes.
My original equipment radio has stopped working.  (While doing some
other electrical work on my DeLorean, I was operating the car's
electrical system from a battery charger.  I believe that I got the
polarity reversed and the radio was in the "on" position so I am
looking first for the in-line fuses that the schematic says exist
without saying just where they are located -- I am assuming that
they are in the wires connecting to the back of the radio.)

The instructions in the DMC shop manual for removal of the radio
mention (after removing the knobs and the plate behind the
knobs) "continuing to work through the removed air vents above the
radio".  My problem is "How do you remove the air vents without
breaking them?" I don't want to pry on them without knowing how I am
trying to loosen them.

This is probably the most basic question that you have had in a
while but thats where I am.  Also, if the radio is indeed damaged, I
am interested in knowing where I can send it to have it repaired as
I want to keep the car as original as possible.

Thanks for the listening to my problem.

-- Bob Wilson

Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 08:07:38 -0800 (PST)
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

>From the pictures it looks to me like the car has been wet. The seats are the giveaway. I've never seen seats that look like those in a DeLorean. Notice the wrinkles in the leather?

The binnacle has been recovered. There is a seam just above the steering wheel.

The dents in the stainless don't appear to be something that can't be fixed.