From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2428
Date: Sunday, January 16, 2005 5:44 PM

1. Warm Up regulator
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

2. Re: door trouble...
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

3. Re: door trouble...
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Questions Re: B280 .... Im so confused. (Alex)
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

5. Re: More problems found (was Piston rings + sleeves)
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

6. Re: A/C Drain hose replacement
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

7. Re: Draining and Replacing Delorean Antifreeze
From: Jeff Phillips <rvparty_at_dml_gmail.com>

8. Re: DMC to be in a new PS2 game
From: Jon Heese <dmcnews_at_dml_jonheese.com>

9. Re: DMC to be in a new PS2 game
From: ttanaka504_at_dml_aol.com

10. Re: More problems found (was Piston rings + sleeves)
From: Peter Lucas <lucas_at_dml_Maya.com>

11. Throttle cable routing
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

12. Re: Lug Nuts
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

13. Carburator.
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Ryan Pelton DCS Memphis
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

15. Door Handles
From: "Tom Watkins" <dmctom_at_dml_earthlink.net>

16. Re: Re: DCS 2006
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

17. Re: door trouble...
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Re: Re: DCS 2006
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

19. Re: Super Charged/EFI
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. DCS Pheasant Run
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

21. RE: Questions Re: B280 .... Im so confused (DMC Joe)
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

22. Re: Throttle cable routing
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

23. RE: More problems found (was Piston rings + sleeves)
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

24. Re: Super Charged/EFI
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

25. Re: Carburator.
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 05:39:49 -0000
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: Warm Up regulator

Group,
If anyone is thinking about or need to change out the old Delorean
Warm Up Regulator, I am doing a special till the end of the month
for $100.00 exchange. Be sure to mention ( DML Special )in the
comment box. That's a $35.00 savings with me and a $65.00 over
others. Warranty does apply.
I will also need the 066 core back.
John Hervey
 http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/fuel-injection.html

Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 05:41:58 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: door trouble...

Before breaking a window it may be possible to force the window down
just enough to flip it out of the track. Be gentle with the aluminum
moulding around the window, it is soft and will bend easily. You could
then try to get some wire or a long tool and lift the inside door
handle. Note to all owners, if an exterior door handle breaks you
should leave one or both toll windows open until you can get it fixed
so you can still reach in to open the door even if the other exterior
handle should break. That or get the remote launchers!

Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 05:46:51 -0000
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_yahoo.com>

yes.  the same day.

Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 06:19:05 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Questions Re: B280 .... Im so confused. (Alex)

The PRV is a very good engine, grossly underestimated on this side of
the ocean. Douvrin made nearly 1,000,000 units over a 25 year
production run -- they certainly couldn't have done so with a flawed
design! While it is a relatively rare power plant in the US, the PRV
was used extensively in Europe and Australia, and even made its way
into the racing circuit.

But...

When the PRV was adapted for K Jetronic fuel injection, a couple of
wrinkles were introduced:
- Some original design components became very difficult to access
- New components were added, which at 13-30 years of age may not work
as reliably as when they left the factory

That is why I opted to convert mine to carburetion. Ease of access was
the single biggest factor. I do not have all weekend to devote to a
tune up (typical for K Jetronic equipped engines). Reliability was
also high on my list. See Message #48334 for comparative advantages of
carburation as I see them.

About half a dozen other owners have also expressed an interest in
experimenting with carburetion. Doing so would be low cost and
non-permanent (which begs the question: why is it so controversial?).
But carbureted intake manifolds are very hard to come by. That is why
I am trying to adapt more common LH Jetronic manifolds (used on 1989-
Volvos and perhaps Chrysler Eagles).

BTW: my DeLorean already uses a Volvo A Series manifold (on a Peugeot
numbered block, circa 1985), adapted to accept a Motorcraft carburetor.

Back to your original question: notice that DMC Joe and I are not
disagreeing about the quality of PRV's. We are merely disagreeing
about *WHEN* that quality was introduced. Certainly by the time of
DeLorean production those engines were capable of hundreds of
thousands of miles of propulsion.

Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 05:53:02 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: More problems found (was Piston rings + sleeves)

In my experience I too find that timing does not usually change much
on most cars. What I DO find is timing that was not set properly or a
stuck mechanical advance or a non-functioning vacuum advance. It is
just good practice when you do a tune-up to check the base timing and
make sure the mechanical AND vacuum advance is functioning properly.
Most manuals ask that you check the timing and not try to adjust it if
it is off only 1 or 2 degreees. You can't do all of the other
adjustments correctly if the base timing is not at least close to 13
degrees and the power and economy will be terrible. The days of
setting cars up by sound and feel is long gone. You now have to have a
timing light and tachometer. An air-fuel meter is also real nice to
have. A scope is even better. A scanner is essential for all modern
cars (not Deloreans).

Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 06:29:50 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: A/C Drain hose replacement

The missing external hose is not your problem. As long as the interior
hose is clear and obstructed, condensation will leave the passenger
compartment and simply wash over the frame like rain water. You need
to determine if your blockage is in the interior hose or in the
evaporator housing itself. Should be very simple -- pull the hose off
and see if it's clear.

Your exterior hose may have been purposefully removed by a PO. Mine
was permanently pinched flat between the frame and body (it's made of
much softer rubber than the interior hose). Rather than replace it, I
opted to drain over the frame.

Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 00:35:38 -0600
From: Jeff Phillips <rvparty_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Draining and Replacing Delorean Antifreeze

Dave theres nothing fancy with this one, infact it quite the opposite
as it can be downright messy.  Before the new radiator I would just
lossen the lower radiator hose and put it in a large bucket.  I always
kept an extra bucket handy incase the first wasn't large enough.
Before you start take the pressure cap off of the resevour to allow
air to enter the system from the other end.   Have fun and be sure not
to leave any antifreeze laying around where pets are present.

Jeff
#10544

Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 02:37:32 -0500
From: Jon Heese <dmcnews_at_dml_jonheese.com>
Subject: Re: DMC to be in a new PS2 game

It really isn't a matter of opinion.  If a car is manufactured by an
American company, it is an American car.  It really has nothing to do
with where it is assembled or sourced, and even less to do with where
the founder of the company resided or where the profits "went" to.

You make a logical fallacy by discounting the Toyota comparison.  No one
said that Toyotas are Japanese because they are built in America or that
all of them are built in America. They said that they are Japanese *in
spite* of the fact that some were built in America.

DeLorean Motor Company (or at least some reflexive affiliate)
manufactured the car, and DMC was based in the US, so the car is an
American car, by all standards.

Regards,
Jon Heese

Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 07:03:55 EST
From: ttanaka504_at_dml_aol.com

Hello List

          I am playing GT4 and I got DMC D-12 in this game.
Pretty easy to get Delorean. But GT4's Delorean is not
an original Delorean...GT4 use DMC Houston's modified
82' edition Delorean (sorry to 81' and  83' owners).

        GT4 Delorean has 200hp at first.
I modified D by adding turbo racing shock etc..
My 1/4 mile is 11.569 sec. (end speed 204km/h)
10.898(end speed 236km/h) with nitro boost and
Top speed is 257.44km/h and modified gear ratio one is
327.78km/h

      I drive on very famous    Nurburgring north course
racing circuit in German in GT4
My best rap time is 7 min. 34 sec. by my D in GT4.
If I setting the car better I can have more better times.
Gran Turismo 4 is realistic racing simulator, so I believe this time
is close to real rap time in Nurburgring racing circuit.

   This game is really nice to know about cars. I can simulate my D
for how I am going to modify.

    I hope you enjoy my information

Blacknight

Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 07:38:00 -0500
From: Peter Lucas <lucas_at_dml_Maya.com>

On Jan 15, 2005, at 9:25 PM, stainlessilusion wrote:

> with my gas pedal down all the way,
> the assembly on the engine doesnt open all the way, in fact, it is
> more then an inch away from the full throttle switch!

I had this symptom after a transmission swap.  Turns out that I had
stressed the throttle cable such that the cable's outer sheath was
forced out of the metal sleeve at the engine-end of the cable (where it
mates with the bracket in front of the throttle-spool assembly). This
caused a fast-idle and prevented the achievement of WOT.  I just pushed
the cable back into place and all was well..

--Pete Lucas

Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 08:10:56 -0500
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: Throttle cable routing

By the picture it looks like your cable IS routed correctly. The top mount
is for the Automatic transmission downshift cable.

Dave Sontos

Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 14:29:54 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Lug Nuts

I haven't seen the 2002 Neon lug nuts but over the years my efforts
to use a cross over were disappointing. The contacting surface
angle, nut to wheel, is critical and I was never satisfied that any
crossover matched. I would recommend staying with the originals in
this critical application. Avoid using an impact wrench on them as
it will damage the crome cover on the nut.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_v...> wrote:

> The other day my son was in the garage working on his 2002 Dodge
Neon and he
been removed]

Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 06:52:40 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Carburator.

FWIW;

Charles Muffley put a carb on his DeLorean using the
stock intake..

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 09:35:03 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Ryan Pelton DCS Memphis

I saw Ryan Pelton perform at The Taft Theatre in Cincinnati last night and if
you remember he did the Elvis tribute in Memphis.

He and I taked for a while and he expressed his thanks and appreciation for
our group
In particluar the final answer on

The Weakest Link

His mom said that he was so nervous he almost got it wrong  (we sat with his
parents last night)

His mind blanked and he knew he knew the answer but couldn't get it out.
Fortunately his mind cleared in time
For those of you that missed it the final question was about DeLorean and he
got it right to win.  It was a weakest link with all Elvis impersonators and
tribute artists.

Anyway Ryan asked if we would want him back and he is willing to do another
show for you all.

Ryan also used Bob Brandys car in Chicago at a ballgame to come out in the
pregame I belive.

Ryan is a DeLorean lover as well and some day maybe he will own one

So he sends his best regards and that is the update on Ryan

Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 10:31:29 -0500
From: "Tom Watkins" <dmctom_at_dml_earthlink.net>
Subject: Door Handles

If you bought your handles already from Delorean One it may be possible that you are getting the same plastic handles that broke on your car.   Given that they may be NOS they are not new plastic.   Unless D1 re-sells DMCH all metal handles I would not suggest installing them and return them.    I used to leave my window open all winter during storage for this very reason.....cold weather and the plastic handles are not a good combination.  With my new metal handles I don't have to worry about them snapping off.

I'm not expert on repairs but I replaced both my door handled easily to the handles made by DMCH.  It makes no sense, unless you are a concours entrant, to reinstall NOS plastic door handles.   The metal ones work great, look stock and are all around a better product.....IMHO.

Tom Watkins

Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 09:53:37 -0600
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>
Subject: Re: Re: DCS 2006

As many of you know,  I would love to see some DeLoreans kick the ass
of their nemesis the corvette at DCS 2006.

We were originally planning to do this by competing against the vettes
on there own slalom course.  However, the latest info is that they
don't allow ANY other brand or type of car on this course.

(Gee, a reflection of the ego - snob appeal of this group?)

Worse, yet,  it appears the corvette group which will be some 10,000
people including vendors and visitors will be taking away any spare
parking places where we could have set up our own slalom course.

I am not  happy about this and fear will be overwelmed by the vette
people and traffic.  We won't even get the convention center until
Friday PM because the vette people are having their tech session in OUR
convention center that AM.   IT isn't enough they get the huge
convention center where were supposed to be,  NOw they are taking over
the smaller one.

What I really need to know is how many of you are interested in a
slalom race course and would it be worth it change the date of DCS 2006
by a week or so, so we would have room for such an event?

Personally,  this slalom event was going to be the big think for me at
DCS,  other than the car show.  THere are so many members who are
really making their Ds into performance handling machines and I want
them to be able to show the rest the D owners and the car community
that this car would really have turned into a vette killer.

Bob

Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 16:35:02 -0000
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_yahoo.com>

thanks.  i am going to attempt entry again today.  i really hope it
does not come down to window breakage...

Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 10:38:11 -0600
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

I think the concept of having the DCS across from the Vette show sounds
really good.  IT will be the 25th anniversary and we will have many new
custom cars there to show if.  However,

I  further concerns about the Pheasant run location and the date.   All
of you who are planning to go the show should visit the vette web site
and see the problems they had with over-crowding last year.    Adding
500 more Delorean people is not going to make this a better situation.
  Here is the web site.

http://www.bloomingtongold.com/index.php?link=news#comments

Anyway, here are some quotes.

Traffic

We've had our eardrums broken from the uproar of customers upset with
the maddening traffic delays getting into our show on Saturday. We are
quite aware of the problem and apologize to all who encountered it.

Numerous remedies are already in the works for 2005:
Gates will open EARLY to avoid pent up demand.
At least two or three entrances will be utilized
The involvement of police and city officials will increase significantly
On-grounds flow will be redesigned and re-routed.
Professional parking teams will be better trained.
Six top Directors and I are meeting on this topic immediately and
subsequently with Pheasant Run and the city of St. Charles to GET THIS
FIXED.

Gee, let's take our Deloreans into an area with high traffic and high
accident potential.  Wait in traffic jams and let our cars overheat in
the middle of June.   Sound great!!!

Food

Although not as deafening, there were also cries about waiting too long
in food lines. (I agree, because I gave up on lunch myself since it was
jammed.) Therefore, the number and quality of concessionaires will be
increased as well as the seating in and around the Food Park in order
to satisfy the demand.

Although the lines were long, the redesign of the show with the Food
Park at show center was a large hit. Complete with big shade trees and
a social setting right at the juncture of the Exhibitors, Auction, and
GoldField, this change was very popular.

This statement speaks volumes about this number of people overwhelming
the PR facilities, staff and food availability.    This won't be like
PF, where you could just drive down the road to lots of different
restuarants.  Th local area does not have enough to support this many
people and cars.

Rest Rooms

The number of rest room facilities (and signage to find them) will be
increased as well. Is their planning going to include DeLorean people?

Price
You told us that you appreciated the lower admission prices. Last year
the cost of parking was $10 and admission was $15. This year, parking
was free and admission was $17; this is an $8 savings per person.

The Vette People get to come to the DCS as part of their entrance fee
and get to park in our area for free.  We get to go to their show also.
  However,  DCS does no get a cut of the $17.

We also don't get the security people the VETTE people pay for to
protect their cars from the thousands of people.    Gee a  car show
where we will have to stand around and guard our car from thousand of
vette people - sound like fun!  Because we won't have any security.

HOTEL ROOMS AND SERVICE

PR and the city of St. Charles can barely handle the vette show as
shown above.  Now we are going to add the DCS.  We had problems getting
the rooms taken care of in PF.   I really doubt the hotel is going to
be able to handle both the vette and the DCS people with the level of
service people expect.

And with all of the vette people staying in the area.  Spare rooms will
be far away and difficult to find.
SINCE MANY PEOPLE COME TO DCS events at the last second (days),  the
lack of rooms near by IS GOING TO BE A MAJOR PROBLEM.

KNOWING a few vette people  I am very afraid they the problems they
(and US) will have in 2006 WILL BE BLAMED ON THE DELOREAN PEOPLE- WHO
SHOULD HAVE NOT BEEN THERE.

I am not trying to be critical here.  I am really excited about DCS
2006 and the 25th anniversary of the D.  A number of D owners and
myself had been planning some extra early week stuff for this shows
that would have been a lot of fun.  However, with the vette
overcrowding and traffic,   I am very concerned that this event is
shaping up to be a disaster rather than the best DeLorean Car show
ever.

Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 08:44:11 -0800 (PST)
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Super Charged/EFI

Hi Martin.  The TEC3 uses a wasted spark technique
also.  (There are actually only three coils, each
firing two cylinders.)

Steve

http://my.yahoo.com

Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 12:08:10 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DCS Pheasant Run

For those of you reading some of the posts on PR I find it particularly
interesting since I still hold the sole contract for the site on those  dates.

We are looking to combine it with the Bloomington Gold but are at this  point
trying to see if logistics can be worked out.

The DeLorean group for the most part will be at Pheasant run and the Vette
folks will be using the Hilton across the street
I will be going to PR on Jan 28 and 29th to make sure all details are  worked
out

This show will be bigger and better than the last show and we are doing  what
we can to keep us in a location that will meet all our needs

What is failed to be mentioned is that we ended up with the Ballroom on
Thursday and the conference center on Friday in addition to Saturday so we will
have a much nicer setting for those two evenings.  So there are some  definate
benefits

Be patient as I have not announced what is actually happening because at
this point I do not know myself.

We are doing our own obstacle course and we will actually have more  room and
on grass and pavement vs gravel than we did before.

Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 12:24:37 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: RE: Questions Re: B280 .... Im so confused (DMC Joe)

Bill,

On my last reply I believed I may have misled you when I said the B-280 is
in my garage. Although that is correct I should add that it is installed in
my Volvo 760 which happens to be my daily driver. I can't do any disassembly
but I can certainly pass on other information that you may need. Also keep
in mind that this engine has been so reliable that the only service
procedure that I have performed on it was a water pump replacement.

To answer your questions the injector seals look similar to the B-28F, I
don't know about the head bolts. The throttle assembly is bolted directly to
the rear of the intake manifold and could be easily capped off with a small
plate.

DMC Joe

>--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_a...> wrote:
>
> Bill and Alex,
>
> Bill first,
>
>  I was bale to locate some information
> http://robskorner.org/faqs/3litrefaqs/3litrefaqs.html that may be
useful to
> you concerning the Chrysler intake manifold. I just looked at by
B280 and
> one of the problems the I see with a carb modification is height.
The flat

Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 17:56:38 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Throttle cable routing

If you cannot get full throttle travel check the linkage at the gas
pedal. It bends if forced (if the cable was ever stuck or frozen) and
then you can't get WOT.

Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 12:56:48 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

David,

You are 100% correct. The reason I caution fooling with the timing is
because, as you know, many engine performance problems that pop up after a
service procedure are usually caused be a simple mistake like a misrouted
vacuum line or overlooked electrical connection. Owners who are "shade-tree
mechanics" can get themselves into some really deep and sometimes expensive
trouble if they perform unnecessary adjustments etc..

DMC Joe

In my experience I too find that timing does not usually change much on most
cars. What I DO find is timing that was not set properly or a stuck
mechanical advance or a non-functioning vacuum advance. It is just good
practice when you do a tune-up to check the base timing and make sure the
mechanical AND vacuum advance is functioning properly.
Most manuals ask that you check the timing and not try to adjust it if it is
off only 1 or 2 degreees. You can't do all of the other adjustments
correctly if the base timing is not at least close to 13 degrees and the
power and economy will be terrible. The days of setting cars up by sound and
feel is long gone. You now have to have a timing light and tachometer. An
air-fuel meter is also real nice to have. A scope is even better. A scanner
is essential for all modern cars (not Deloreans).

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_a...> wrote:

> Dave,
>
> You are correct on all of your suggestions but I would like to add the
> following concerning engine timing.
>
> To Dani B.; Dave is correct about checking the engine timing, but if
it's
> off, don't readjust it. The PRV-6 timing does not drift out of
> operating range. If you're having problems with performance issues I
> would not
suggest
> to fool with the timing unless it was adjusted after the engine
> started running poorly. Here is an example. Over the years I have
> found that the factory setting of the timing will remain within 2
> degrees of the
specified

Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 18:13:51 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

You mentioned the cam sensor which isn't required in a wasted spark
setup. The TEC3 can do full sequential, I just wondered if you were
using it and why.... obviously not!

Martin

Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 18:13:52 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Carburator.

All this talk about going BACKWARDS is quaint. Carbureation is OLD
TECHNOLOGY. If anything we should be experimenting with EFI and full
engine management. As advanced as K Jetronic was in it's time, it was
a continuous system. The future went to pulsed injection so K-Jet is
only a small step above carburaters anyway. Just about all automakers
have gone to full engine management to improve driveability,
reliablity, emmisions, and performance. Aside from the expense of
doing it, it sounds like a winning combination. No more distributer,
more tolerant of blended gas, no problems with extreme hot, cold,
altitude, in short it will run like a modern car! Right now the engine
has 3 black boxes to keep it running (ignition, Lambda, and idle), 4
if you include voltage regulation. 5 if you have an automatic. All
that could be put into one and all functions integrated and fully
adjustable. It would be a monuemental job but I am sure the right
person could do it! Now THAT would be interesting, not some carburator
bolted onto a manifold! Just think, you could incorporate the cooling
fans (aka Fanzilla or whatever) the door locks, remote entry, the
wiper delay module, the interior lighting delay, and on, and on. That
electronic dashboard now would incorporate all of these signals and
more. With a small plasma display you could have all kinds of
messages. Now we are talking FUTURE!!!