From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2432
Date: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 11:33 AM

1. Re: Weekend in Canada
From: "Mike Walsh" <mike_at_dml_mikewalsh.net>

2. [UPDATE] Christopher Lloyd also attending BTTF screening
From: "BTTF.com" <stephen_at_dml_bttf.com>

3. Re: Sighting: Crank Yankers (Comedy Central)
From: Jack Stiefel <jackstiefel_at_dml_gmail.com>

4. Delorean Parts Interchange List.
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>

5. Re: DCS 2006 Engine rebuild contest
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

6. Re: DCS 2006 Engine rebuild contest
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

7. Re: Removing Exhaust Manifold Studs
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

8. Re: door trouble...
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

9. Monthly meetups
From: "gzapf" <x86Daddy_at_dml_myrealbox.com>

10. Re: Carburator (David T)
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

11. Re: Carburator (Bob Brandys)
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

12. Re: Testing Engines at DCS 2006
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

13. Re: Re: DCS 2006 Engine rebuild contest
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

14. Re: DCS 2006 Engine rebuild contest
From: "Jim Reeve" <dmc6960_at_dml_gmail.com>

15. Re: [UPDATE] Christopher Lloyd also attending BTTF screening
From: "sweitzel_2000" <sweitzel_at_dml_lffltd.com>

16. Re: Weekend in Canada
From: "mkeaton" <mkeaton_at_dml_winesburg.com>

17. Re: Weekend in Canada
From: "Richard" <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

18. Parts Interchange lis update...Not necessary
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>

19. High Idle
From: JDub <doki_pen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. Delorean Fuel
From: "secret_jedi_guy" <secret_jedi_guy_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. Parts interchange list.
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>

22. Re: Delorean Parts Interchange List.
From: "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

23. RE: High Idle
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

24. Re: Re: DCS 2006 Engine rebuild contest
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

25. Engine rebuild
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 18:28:40 -0500
From: "Mike Walsh" <mike_at_dml_mikewalsh.net>
Subject: Re: Weekend in Canada

Count me in

Mike Walsh
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 21:53:51 -0000
From: "BTTF.com" <stephen_at_dml_bttf.com>
Subject: [UPDATE] Christopher Lloyd also attending BTTF screening

We've just learned that actor Christopher Lloyd ('Doc Brown') will
also be attending the 20th Anniversary screening of "Back to the
Future" in L.A. on February 1.  Advanced Reserved Seating tickets are
expected to be on sale by Wednesday or Thursday of this week.

Stephen Clark
www.BTTF.com

Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 18:57:17 -0500
From: Jack Stiefel <jackstiefel_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Sighting: Crank Yankers (Comedy Central)

Whats funny to see in that promo is there is a big ol pile of Cocaine
flowing out of the car.  It was a promo for th enew season starting.

Jack Stiefel

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 01:34:12 -0800 (PST), toscano2_at_dml_ix.netcom.com
<toscano2_at_dml_ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Don't know if I was watching a preview or part of a show, but I just happened to walk through the room where my nephew was watching Comedy Central and on an episode of Crank Yankers, there is a DMC poster in the background. It is directly to the left of a red Ferrari 328 poster that the puppet was in front of while making the phone call.

Jack Stiefel - Tampa, Fl   DMC Vin 03461

Parrot Head Radio http://www.fmtimemachine.com

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -- Adam Savage

Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 21:16:34 +0000
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Delorean Parts Interchange List.

I'm sure most of you have a parts interchange list but I notice there is not
one on the DMCNEWS.com site.  It would be great to have a solid parts
interchange list available at dmcnews.com.  I have about 20 pages worth of
information but I'm not sure if it all is correct.  Here are some examples.

Air conditioning accumulator = 1984 Chev. Corvetter (After vin 3468, GM#
1131411)
Blower Motor  = Delco 15-895, everco : M3807,   Napa:655-1005.
Ignition coil = Bosch : 00027
Door Seals = inner, 1985 Mercury trunk (six inches short)
Oil drain plug = Dorman 090-039
Hose-Water pump = Gates:20983(drivers side)
Radiator = Auto cool:1r-366
Water Pump = Bap_Geon 28-09307 (requires pully below)
Water pump Pulley - Specialty Automative 102143a

Anyway these are just examples from some 20 pages of stuff I have. However,
I dont' know iwhat parts work for sure and what don't.   I am sure we all
have similar type lists.  It would be awesome to have a working list to post
on dmcnews.  Any thoughts?
Alex Morgan

Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 00:26:21 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: DCS 2006 Engine rebuild contest

Another possabilty for a tech seminar would be simple dent removal.
This is something which has immediate results that are easily visible.

Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 00:30:30 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

I have ring compressor, ring installer, valve compressor that I can
bring if tooling is short. -----Dani B. #5003

Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 00:41:05 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Removing Exhaust Manifold Studs

On my previous engine I used a nut splitter and left the studs in
place. Cleaned up the threads with a 7mm die then replaced with
stainless nuts & washers (same diameter as wave washers but 1/8" thick).

BTW: my theory of PRV exhaust manifold gasket failure is those wave
washers. Several of mine were eaten in half or missing altogether. I
think their absence allows just enough flex for the gasket to become
damaged and deteriorate. Obviously the studs and nuts aren't moving.

Hopefully 1/8" thick stainless washers will solve that problem (used
them on my new block too). Stainless nuts will facilitate removal if
they don't...

Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 00:46:05 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: door trouble...

This sounds a little challenging but it is great "out of the box" kind
of thinking. I would not have thought of it but it does sound
possible. I am sure it took a lot of thinking and a lot of
experimentaion to get the wire to hit the switch. Of course it does
assume the switch is installed in such a manner that when you hit it
the window goes down and not up. But I guess even if it was in the
other way you could just reverse the polarity of the battery. You
should write this up and submit it to the tech archives at
dmcnews.com. BTW it is easy to open the engine cover. Just remove the
left taillight and reach in to grab the link and pull it to the left.
You might also be able to set up a mirror to see what you are doing
through the windshield. This might be difficult in a parking lot, at
night, in the rain!

Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 23:29:03 -0000
From: "gzapf" <x86Daddy_at_dml_myrealbox.com>
Subject: Monthly meetups

Some of you may have seen Meetup.com before...  it's a message-board /
organization service to let people arrange monthly meetings for a
variety of topics in a city by city context.  Sometimes it works well;
sometimes it doesn't.  Anyway, I ran a search on DeLorean and found
that they had already set the category up, but had no city groups or
group members established.  I added my name for a Memphis gathering,
although it's my understanding that the other owners in town never
take their DeLoreans out... I figured it's just another way to attempt
to reach fellow owners in case people are looking.

http://delorean.meetup.com/

Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 00:37:31 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Carburator (David T)

If carburators are so great why don't I hear about ditching the
electronic spark. Points worked for over 70 years so we should go back
to that! And what about those complicated automatic transmissions?
They are too fussy to make work so we should just convert all of them
to 5-speeds! As you can see this line of reasoning makes no sense at
all! For all the effort you will put into going backwards you could
have made the origional systems work. In fact it would probably turn
out to be less work to go foward and try to install a Megasquirt! For
those that think carburation is superior to fuel injection, I would
say it is time to learn about fuel injection! Carburators are only for
nostalgia and those who won't move along into the 21st century.
Instead of changing jets and bending linkages you adjust fuel
injection from the passenger's seat on a laptop ON THE FLY!

Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 23:32:29 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Carburator (Bob Brandys)

Don't get carried away -- we are definitely in the minority. What we
consider rational transportation choices are predominantly viewed as
"old fashioned" or "outdated". And that's not necessarily a bad thing:
if every motorist thought as we do there would be a lot of unemployed
auto manufacturers, dealers, and mechanics. Plus the pool of remaining
vehicles for us would be much smaller.

What amazes me is the number of people who presume to tell me what to
do with my own cars when their names don't even appear on my titles.

For the record: I have been contacted by at least six other DeLorean
owners who want to experiment with carburetion. I did not contact them
-- they contacted me. And their cars are titled in THEIR names. Other
List members really have no say in the matter. They obviously have
opinions (oh boy, do they have opinions!), but this small group of
owners is free to do with its cars as it wishes.

Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 00:53:48 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Testing Engines at DCS 2006

Carburetion doesn't need any electronics...

(Surely you're not talking about ignition -- Bosch module, or any
other for that matter, would work fine laying on the floor next to a
car battery. Coil can be positioned anywhere the HT lead will reach).

> --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, kKoncelik_at_dml_a... wrote:
>
> WE do plan to run the motors
> I have talked to a few of the vendors and the bigger problem is
finding the electronics in a package that we can just wire up to the
motors to fire it over

Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 01:11:21 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Re: DCS 2006 Engine rebuild contest

Remember the start motor mounts to the bellhousing...

Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 05:28:59 -0000
From: "Jim Reeve" <dmc6960_at_dml_gmail.com>

The electics are easy if there are spare harnesses/computers to work
with.  It would get more difficult if the harnesses needed to be made.

If each engine has its own wiring harness, I can rig up an easily
connectable, transportable, box to run the PRV if I can get a spare
main harness, idle/lambda/ignition computers, and the couplers used to
connect the main/engine harnesses together.

Other simple parts needed would be a battery and coil. I have a spare
instrument cluster that can be connected.  Fuel delivery would be
simple.  Coolant/radiator wouldn't be necessary since the engines
would not be run for very long. Sure would be loud though if your not
putting any exhaust on it.

Jim Reeve
DMC6960

Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 04:02:11 -0000
From: "sweitzel_2000" <sweitzel_at_dml_lffltd.com>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "BTTF.com" <stephen_at_dml_b...> wrote:

> We've just learned that actor Christopher Lloyd ('Doc Brown') will
> also be attending the 20th Anniversary screening of "Back to the
> Future" in L.A. on February 1.  Advanced Reserved Seating tickets
are
> expected to be on sale by Wednesday or Thursday of this week.
>
> Stephen Clark
> www.BTTF.com

The NCDMC owners club just attended a BTTF screening at a local
theater here in San Jose. None of the cast was prsent, but we had an
imprompu Delorean car show consisting of 7 Deloreans in the parking
lot 2 hours before the show. http://www.ncdmc.org/Pruneyard04.htm
I can only imagine how cool it would be to get some photo-ops with
Christopher Lloyd with a lot full of Deloreans. In anyone planning to
go with their car? If so what would the logistics be? the only decent
parking at the Arclight is an enclosed parking garage. There is no
outdoor parking save for street parking (in a somewhat questionable
neighborhood)

Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 23:48:44 -0600
From: "mkeaton" <mkeaton_at_dml_winesburg.com>

      Marv, Count me in .
                    Montie and Amy

Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 06:37:09 -0000
From: "Richard" <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

Let's see - hmmm..... beer, bikinis and DeLoreans?  Count me in!

Richard Rowe
5853

[MODERATOR'S NOTE: Other folks interested in participating might consider contacting Marv directly.]

Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 05:19:44 +0000
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Parts Interchange lis update...Not necessary

Ok, I did some research using my list and checking it with multiple delorean
parts websites and found that most of the generic parts on my interchange
list were the same price (or less) than the real delorean parts.  I am going
to do some more research but so far it seems pointless to buy a part thats
not made for a delorean when you can get the right part for the same price.
And again I don't know if these interchange parts even work.  Maybe someday
we will have to resort to an interchange list but hopefully not anytime
soon.
Thanks again,
Alex

Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 18:05:07 -0800 (PST)
From: JDub <doki_pen_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: High Idle

I'm trying to tackle a problem I've had with my
delorean for a long time.  The idle is excessivly
high, about 1500 RPMS.  I was thinking maybe the
timing is off, could this cause it?  If so, do I
adjust it by turning the distributor? Looks awfully
tough to get to.

Jon

Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 07:18:06 -0000
From: "secret_jedi_guy" <secret_jedi_guy_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Delorean Fuel

A gas station near my house has just started providing 100 octane
unleaded racing fuel.  I'm not sure why, but it seems cool to me.  I
was just wondering what fuel most people on the list use and if they
have ever tried putting 100 oct. in their Deloreans before.  I put
87 in once and only once.  Performance and MPG sucked like a
Hoover.  If anyone on the list has put in 100 oct., what were the
side effects (e.g. performance, MPG, overheating, etc.)  I am just
curious because I am thinking about trying it out.

I have been sticking with 91 and I put in an octane booster.  Also
to aid the fight for the K-Jet vs. Carburetion fight, I prefer my K-
Jet now that I have given it a good cleaning including all six
injectors.  Fuel delivery is very smooth.

It would be really interesting to see that racing fuel in a DMCH
Stage III engine.

Japheth VIN: 1223

Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 04:41:38 +0000
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Parts interchange list.

I have recieved multiple requests for my list but its not realistic for me
to make tons of copies and send these to everybody.  I will be happy to send
one to James if hes interested in posting the list and anybody elses list.
I need to stress that this list is old and not all the parts numbers are
current.  I simply was interested in making an accurate data list of
interchange parts that work.  Even if it was common parts like airfilters,
oilfilters, hoses, etc.
I'd also like to stress that I believe whenever possible its best to
purchase original D parts from our venders.
Please don't email and ask me to send you a copy(ive had like 7 requests in
the last couple of hours).  I would love to send one to everybody but its
just not possible.  I was mostly interested in finding out if the Moderator
wanted to do something like this. I dont know how difficult it is to scan
them in adobe acrobat.  I know nothing of html and the like.  Thanks
everybody.
Alex

Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 23:54:21 -0600
From: "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Delorean Parts Interchange List.

Alex,

You're really on your own on that one.  Parts cross-over lists are not
necessary because we have vendors that do all the work for us.  If you
choose to use a crossover (and most of us do at some point or another), it's
up to you to decide whether it works or not.  That is, some of the parts you
list below may "fit", but how do you define "work"?  For instance, the Delco
blower motor will fit, but some of them turn the wrong direction, so you'd
have to reverse the polarity.  --Or sometimes the squirrel cage is reversed
from the DeLorean position.  The door seals you list might actually go on
the door lip, but they may not seal worth a rat's ass.

For that reason, you'll have a lot of trouble getting people to agree on
what is a crossover.  If you want to be sure, buy from a vendor.  When you
buy a DeLorean, the question is not parts availability; the question is, can
you afford to buy all of them?!

Jake Kamphoefner
Speakin' for me and 1063

Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 10:58:21 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: RE: High Idle

Do not adjust the timing! There are lots of possible causes of an idle speed
of 1500 RPM, ignition timing is not one of them. I'll leave suggestions on
possible causes to some of the other list members.

DMC Joe

Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 11:08:11 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 1/18/2005 10:42:09 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk writes:

Remember  the start motor mounts to the bellhousing...

Nothing a backing plate would not solve

Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 11:22:01 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Engine rebuild

It seems that we have everything needed to do the engine rebuild at the DCS
show in Pheasant run and a lot of interested parties
I am thinking on doing it Saturday morning about 9:am or so (that can be
changed) so that everyone is done by the time the show opens at noon

We also are looking at a suspension change challenge and Dave Swingle is
looking at that with me.  What we need are two owners that want this done  to
their cars.
They would buy the parts and then the teams would do the labor.
So we need two cars and two teams
We have a lot of time and NO details of this are worked out at this  point.
So if interested let me or Dave know.

As far as the engine build goes Jim Reeves will build the electrical test
box
The only part missing is the engine harness so we need to BORROW two
harnesses
You will get them back
Does anyone out there have one or two we can borrow.
If not we will need to build our own

I have had volunteers for ring compressors and torque wrenches so if you
volunteered them we need them.

This will definitely be an interesting show

Rich will be doing a show on Friday with his Monster truck and Kyle  Franklin
will be doing a demonstration with his vehicle on Friday also plus we  have a
few other cars that will be highlighted and I will wait to announce  those.

One of the vendors wants to do a special tech seminar also on Friday  and
that may be at 3-4 PM so he has time to finish before dinner and still set  up
for Sat.(its on the same scale as the engine rebuild and the suspension  swap.

So thanks for the good conversation and this should be the most tech
oriented show ever.
Don't worry we won's sacrifice the other thing we do either.