From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2434
Date: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 8:04 PM

1. Broken hub carrier
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

2. Re: Carburator (David T)
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

3. RE: Re: Parts Interchange lis update...Not necessary
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

4. DCS '06?
From: "Dan Deutsch" <danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com>

5. RE: Re: Parts Interchange lis update...Not necessary
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

6. Re: Parts Interchange lis update...Not necessary
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

7. RE: High Idle
From: JDub <doki_pen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: Carburator (David T)
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

9. Re: RUSTED FRAMES
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

10. Re: RUSTED FRAMES
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

11. Re: Broken hub carrier
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

12. Re: Broken hub carrier
From: billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com

13. Re: Re: Delorean Fuel
From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 00:38:04 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Broken hub carrier

Is there any way to fix a broken hub carrier? Last year or so mine
broke and for some reason I've been saving it. Is it worth aluminum
welding with a reinforcment or is it now useless? -----Dani B.

Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 00:40:41 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Carburator (David T)

I did not mean to leave the impression that you shouldn't put a
carburator on your car. Your car is to do with as you wish. What I
mean to say is that for all the time and money it will take to do it
would probably be better spent trying to get the origional systems to
work properly. Just think, someday you may want to sell your Delorean,
I would ask you what a Delorean with a carburator is worth? Who will
know  how to service it? Where do you get parts for it and what kind?
Part of this kind of conversion is documenting everything you do so
you can go back yourself if you ever need to or even for a future
owner. Imagine what you will do if you forgot what you did and didn't
know what kind of kit to get to rebuild the carburator? You can't call
a vendor for help, they wouldn't know where to begin! When you take
the "road less travelled" you had better be prepared to help yourself!
When all of the systems on a 20 year old Delorean are set up and
running right I do not think you will be able to duplicate the
performance with a carburator. The origional systems also will stay in
tune for a long time, just not 20 years without *some* maintainence.
Fuel injection is a little fussier about stale or dirty fuel. Once you
go over the fuel system and get it all cleaned up (and use the car at
least once in a while) The fuel system is pretty reliable. I agree
that to put a full-blown engine management system onto a Delorean is
not the "cheap" way to fix things and it probably won't improve the
performance all that much.

Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 18:41:51 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Parts Interchange lis update...Not necessary

About 6 years ago before I got real heavy into the Delorean parts I blew a
water pump hose when out of town. No one stocked it because were a 20+ year
old car. After about 2 hours I finally found one that would get me back
home. We have a 1 1/2" on one end and a 1 1/4" on the other. That's why I
put the adapter on the web site to make it easier for fit something. P/N
would do no good because most don't stock them.
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/images/water-pipe-reducers.jpg
Fuel pumps are not stocked, water pumps are not normally stocked, pulse
coils are not stocked. This is what the problem is.
Keep my numbers on your cell
incase.

Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 20:03:13 -0500
From: "Dan Deutsch" <danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: DCS '06?

Wwwwwwwhy am I seeing posts on DCS 06 when it's a year and a half away? I
think it's a bit premature to be posting about the show so early. not to
mention disrespectful to Ken. I think suggestions should be privately
e-mailed to him rather than brought up in a public forum. He's only one guy,
and he has his hands full as it is! If you have ideas for the show and Ken
doesn't think it's a good idea but you still want to do it, go do your own
show. it's as simple as that. This is Ken's show and he is going to run it
as he sees fit. He also doesn't even have enough help as it is. this was
obvious at the last show. I for one will be helping him with this show in
any way he wants. Anyway. iIf you don't like what he has planned, you don't
have to attend. Ken is great about feedback and always tries to make the
show for the DeLorean enthusiasts as a group. but he can't please everyone.
So, I think if anyone has an opinion on what should be at the show, they
should just tell him privately. If he does it, great. If not, then it's up
to you on whether to attend or not.

See you at DCS '06 no matter what the events are.

Thank you,
---Evil Dan

Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 18:47:41 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Jake and Group.
I can put together a Road kit based on what problems I hear about, but the
question is how much are you willing to spend. I have rebuilt fuel pumps for
$50.00 while supply last
and that would be the most I think. If the group will come up with a package
of what you want or need for the road then I will make up a special price
for that.

Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 01:06:21 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Parts Interchange lis update...Not necessary

One of the problems with a cross/reference is keeping it updated. For
instance Bop-Geon is no longer available. Some parts work and some
have been changed so now they don't work. If you buy a crossed part
and it doesn't fit the store won't take it back. You don't get the
help and advice from the venders. Many times when people get parts
they don't get what they really need. When you call the vendors they
will work with you to make sure you get what you need (not always the
same as what you want). As much as they want to sell parts they also
want happy customers. They don't make money sending parts back and
forth and it makes them look good when you fix things the FIRST time.
Belts and hoses are different. So are bulbs, fuses, bolts, etc. These
things are easily crossed over.

Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 16:46:38 -0800 (PST)
From: JDub <doki_pen_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: High Idle

Well the search for the high idle continues.  I
suspect a vacuum leak is the cause.  I held the
throttle body up to the sun and took some pictures.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/doki_pen/album?.dir=/2649&.src=ph&.tok=phZNFZCBjajZibpm

You can see some light through it but I don't know if
it's enough to make a difference. What do you guys
think?

Jon

Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 00:49:48 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

I am the one moving to CA but the DeLorean will most likely stay
behind in NY for a while (how long? I don't know). While my DeLorean
isn't carbureted yet, when/if it was-it could easily be converted back
to FI. Registering it is no problem, and I'm aware that there MAY come
a problem when inspecting because of my exhaust..or lack of exhaust
for that matter, as well as carb...No worries though ;) -----Dani B.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Owen _at_dml_ Aerodrome" <owen_at_dml_a...> wrote:

> stainlessilusion wrote:
> >

> > Lets NOT forget that many of us have our OWN preferences when it comes
> > to OUR cars...I didn't read anyone say that carburetion is superior to
> > fuel injection, just preferred over it when it comes to the DeLorean.
> > WHY?-Consider that there's a lot of us..(well at least 1 person!) that
> > don't have a few thousand to put into a new EFI system. I have 5 cars
> > pay insurance on 2 buy parts for all, pay rent; pay tuition for
> > college the list goes on. I've been dealing with issues from the FI
> > system for a while, and getting frustrated with it-instead of the
> > guessing game, I want to replace it-without spending a ton while
> > looking the benefits from carb. 3 out of 5 of the cars I currently own
> > right now are carbureted (with no problems at all I'd like to add-1950
> > Buick runs better then 81 DeLorean and that carb isn't even rebuilt!),
> > its what I PREFER, what's so wrong with that, why are we being bashed
> > because of our preferences? -----Dani B. #5003
>
> Wait -- I just put it together.  Aren't you the one moving to
California?  Are you planning to leave your carbureted DeLorean
behind?  You know you won't be able to register it here, right?

Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 00:55:34 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: RUSTED FRAMES

The extent of what can be repaired is limited by your wallet and the
competance of the welder. If the frame is bad enough then it may be a
matter of economics that it should be replaced. The frame is only made
of sheet metal and the right guy could build a whole new one if he had
to! You just may not be willing to spend for it. Generally with rust
what you see is only the "tip of the iceburg" so to speak. When you
actually get into the repair you will be replacing a lot more than
what is obvious when you start. The frame on a Delorean is VERY stiff.
If you see it flexing then the car is no longer driveable. In fact,
you need to be extra careful towing it. If the tow truck operator
pulls the wrong way he will rip the front right off. Ditto for
securing it to the truck, you cannot use the loops on the front, you
will pull the front of the frame right off. You might want to pass on
this one unless you get it cheap enough to replace (or repair) the
frame. BTW if the frame is this bad expect a lot of other problems.
Serious frame rust generally means the car sat for a long time on
unpaved ground.

Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 20:31:14 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 1/18/2005 7:41:23 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net writes:

You  can weld it...but don't expect that to be a permanent  solution

you trying to kill the front end business
LOL

Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 00:58:06 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Broken hub carrier

It can be welded. It may not be worth doing it though. Get a price to
repair and then see what one costs from a vendor. How did you break it?

Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 20:19:22 EST
From: billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com

My two cents is I would not chance it. A fellow owner broke one in my  garage
replacing a bearing and we thought about it for about a second. When you
realize that it holds the weight of the car I would not take the chance. Anyone
out there that has welded or repaired theirs I would like to know how you did
it. You can find used ones by posting here, searching ebay or Josh's ebay
storefront.

Good Luck,
Mike C

Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 02:11:05 +0100
From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>
Subject: Re: Re: Delorean Fuel

Hello Patrick

> This debate is going to have many different preferences, like what oil to
> use (10W30) :) but
> if you are going to store your car for the winter or not drive it much,
> put in a higher
> octane.  91 breaks down slower than say the 87 would sitting in the tank.
Sorry, but its not true. They break down at the same rate.
The oil is a completely different subject.. there are preferences, different
oil for different temperatures, but with fuel the engine is designed for a
specific 'grade'.

> Also, as I recall,
> in the '81 owners manual all of the readings for gas mileage, performance,
> etc and all of
> those specs say that the car was tested using 91 octane fuel.
It was mentioned that it is recommended to use 91 octane fuel, BUT that was
for Europe. We use different method for determining the octane rating. 91 in
Europe is the same as 87 in the US.
The owners manual that I have states clearly:
Your DeLorean is designed to operate at factory specifications at UNLEADED
GASOLINE only of 87 anti-knock index (R+M)/2 (91 research octane number).
If you look at the pump at a gas station there is a formula right under the
octane rating and it is (R+M)/2 in the US.
The DeLorean was designed for 87.

> Also, the higher octanes like Shell V-Power typically have more cleaners
> in them that help clean out fuel injectors and the like (or so I
> am told)
NOPE! They are pretty much the same. It's just that the higher the rating
the less it is prone to explode, it will burn and not explode.

Hope this helps

Tom Niemczewski
jamesik_at_dml_vp.pl