From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2438
Date: Thursday, January 20, 2005 11:02 AM

1. Re: Delorean Stalling Out
From: mike p <cambpd_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Re: Re: Delorean Fuel
From: Nathan Robinson <nathanrobinson_at_dml_gmail.com>

3. Delorean for sale #6583
From: "smileksr" <michaelbarth_at_dml_hotmail.com>

4. Re: Re: delorean fuel
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

5. RE: High Idle
From: JDub <doki_pen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. RE: Can't Get Reverse With My D Manual Transmission
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

7. RE: Thermistor Specs
From: JDub <doki_pen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: Re: Delorean Fuel
From: Holler <thehauntfactory_at_dml_att.net>

9. RE: Delorean Stalling Out
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

10. Re: Delorean DVD - Copyright infringment?
From: Aaron Crocco <acrocco_at_dml_gmail.com>

11. Delorean on ebay in St. Louis
From: "Paul" <vrt10whips_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. RE: Delorean Stalling Out
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

13. Re: Can't Get Reverse With My D Manual Transmission
From: AJL521_at_dml_aol.com

14. Re: High Idle
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

15. Re: Delorean Fuel
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

16. Re: Re: Delorean Fuel
From: "Owen _at_dml_ Aerodrome" <owen_at_dml_aerodrome.us>

17. DeLorean sighting in Atlanta. Was it yours?
From: "lakelanier20" <derek4567_at_dml_hotmail.com>

18. RE: Re: Delorean Fuel
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

19. Re: delorean fuel
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

20. Re: Delorean DVD - Copyright infringment?
From: "sweitzel_2000" <sweitzel_at_dml_lffltd.com>

21. Re: Re: Delorean DVD - Copyright infringment?
From: Hank <heskin_at_dml_gmail.com>

22. RE: High Idle
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

23. Re: Re: delorean fuel
From: "Bruce Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

24. Tucker
From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>

25. RE: Re: delorean fuel
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 15:27:34 -0800 (PST)
From: mike p <cambpd_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Delorean Stalling Out

Hi Mike, thanks for the information on stalling out.
Yes I do live in Maryland, the car is near Annapolis.

=====

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 17:38:24 -0600
From: Nathan Robinson <nathanrobinson_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Delorean Fuel

I kinda hate to bring up the whole Volvo/DMC PRV-6 thing agian... but
I have a question about the fuel used in said engine, as there are
some very knowledgable people on this list.

As I have said earlier, I have a 1980 Volvo 264 GLE (close enough of
the same PRV-6 engine.)

Now. My manufacturers book states to use 91 octane, however it doesn't
specify as to which continent. Would I presume this to be the European
octane rating? There is a significant difference in price, so I'm
somewhat interested if it would be considered safe to run 87 Oct. in
the PRV-6 engine.

To my knowledge, I do not have a knock sensor in the engine, so I am a
little weary , and have always run 91+  Oct. in my car, consequently
making fillups very expensive.

What say ye?

~Nathan

Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 00:01:33 -0000
From: "smileksr" <michaelbarth_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Delorean for sale #6583

Hi group,
I am sad to announce the sale of my dream car, vin #6583.  It has
been such an awesome thing to experience owning a Delorean, my dream
since I was a kid and the movie came out.

Miles: 34317
Year: 1981
Interior: Gray
No gas flap
Upgrades and records too numerous to mention.

I am starting with ebay, but will progress to autotrader.com or
another online site if I don't find a buyer for the auction.

Here is the listing:
ViewItem&item=4521280932

My wife and I simply cannot afford to keep this car with a toddler
and a baby on the way.  I am in Massachusetts, and would love to
discuss the car with you.  I purchased it 6 months ago from
California, where it had spent its entire life.  Meticulously
maintained at Delorean Motor Center in CA.  All records.  Beautiful
automobile that turns more heads than a tennis match.

Please feel free to call!  Mike Barth

Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 00:21:33 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Owen Emry wrote:

>No, sorry.  No offense intended, but completely incorrect.  Heptane (i.e., the rest of the fuel) contains more chemical energy than Octane, so the higher the octane, the less chemical energy per unit mass.

Hi Owen

Thanks for the correctoin - I've learnt a bit more today! Basically what
this means is that the slower burn allowed by a higher octane fuel
results in being able to cram disproportionately more fuel into the
cylinders. Makes sense, and tells me that the adverts telling us to buy
optimax because it gives more power is basically rubbish - correct?

(Optimax over here is 98 as opposed to 95 for unleaded - although we
have a different measuring system)

Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 17:49:33 -0800 (PST)
From: JDub <doki_pen_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: High Idle

So I did a little test today, I put a piece of
cardboard between the throttle body and the air
metering unit.  I hooked back up the idle speed motor
and the car idled perfect! Right on 775 RPMS.  So I
now know the problem is with air getting by the
butterflies in the throttle body.  Do you think it's
possible those spring loaded little thingys could be
defective?  I guess it could still be air slipping by
the edges of the butterflies.

Jon

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/doki_pen/album?.dir=/2649&.src=ph&.tok=phZNFZC

Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:56:13 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: RE: Can't Get Reverse With My D Manual Transmission

Mike,

Your problem is related to the operation of the "crossgate cable" 4/2/0 #34
and or its associated linkage.
If this cable should move freely when selecting either reverse or 5th gear.
The cable and associated linkage is accessible from under the car.

Reference information can be found in the workshop manual F:07:01.

DMC Joe

Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 17:46:25 -0800 (PST)
From: JDub <doki_pen_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: Thermistor Specs

Mine read 1.83 ohms when cold.  hmmmmm i'm gonna
double check that tomorrow.

Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 19:24:02 -0500
From: Holler <thehauntfactory_at_dml_att.net>

Just to say we returned from a quick 1475 mile trip to south Florida and
back in the D, with NO PROBLEMS!  -go figure!
Thanks to the vendors, and list friends for making this possible.
Oliver Holler
#10694
ps-(Fuel? We mostly used old banana peels and beer in the Mr. Fusion.)

Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:56:14 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

STOP! I don't believe anyone has mentioned your idle speed circuit. Before
making any adjustments be sure that the idle speed circuit is working
properly.

List members; you should never suggest that an owner make adjustments that
may degrade the operation of the engine in hopes of finding the source of a
problem. A good example is Mikes stalling problem. If he makes adjustments,
i.e. timing, CO adjust, and other changes and the problem turns out to be
something like a failed idle speed motor you may be contributing to creating
many new problems that could be worse than the original problem.

DMC Joe

Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 22:06:05 -0500
From: Aaron Crocco <acrocco_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Delorean DVD - Copyright infringment?

It's intersting about this link to eBay.  I clicked on it to check it
out and noticed that the item is no longer for sale.  Even more
interesting is that there seems to be no buyer and the end date / time
is the same as when the auction started.  A quick check of VideoBob's
website shows none of these videos either for sale.

I thought these were for sale.  Where are they?  Why the early ending
of the auction?  Something doesn't seem right here.

-Aaron Crocco
VIN 5591
NY Plate: OUTATYM

Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 04:42:18 -0000
From: "Paul" <vrt10whips_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Delorean on ebay in St. Louis

Hey,

I went and looked at this delorean today, if anyone has any
questions, just email me.

Regards,

Paul the Whip Guy

Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:34:50 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Mike, Other than an air leak it may not hurt. Just won't run right. The
adjustment is in front of the fuel distributor. The hole may still be
plugged or something in it. But if you have a O ring gone on the intake,
when you fix that the problem may go away.
I would that first. Look on my web site under reference then fuel.
John
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/images/air-flow-adj-2.jpg

Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 23:51:42 EST
From: AJL521_at_dml_aol.com

It sounds like you have a problem with the linkage cable itself.  If it was
out of adjustment you would be able to get into either 5th or Reverse, but not
both...it could just be that the cable is sticking.  I had the same problem
with my DeLorean when I purchased it after it had been sitting for 10 years (I
had a number of other problems also).  In any case I would check the condition
of the cable, inspect it for any breaks in the cable housing, and replace it
if that is the case.  If the cable appears to be in good condition try working
the shifter back and forth a number of times, that might free it up.  Note:
If it shifted properly before sitting I would not recommend trying to adjust
the cable now, espicially since you cant get it into 5th or reverse, it dosen't
sound like adjustment is the issue.

Best of Luck, and yes, it really does come down to luck in these cases,

Andrew

Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 05:22:17 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

The most likely reason for air to be getting past the throttle plates
is that the stop screw on the throttle arm is not adjusted properly
allowing the plates to be cracked open a little. You might also have a
decel valve that is dirty and leaking. They are those little thingies
with the springs on the throttle plates. They should move freely and
seal tight.

Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 05:14:44 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Delorean Fuel

Although it is similar it is not the same as the Delorean engine. The
compression ratio may be different. The ratios in the transmission and
final drive may also be different. The timing and advance is probably
different too. All these things affect the fuel requirements and the
octane rating. When in doubt go by the manufacturer's recomondations.
The owner's manual should be correct for the country it is sold in so
if you have an American import the manual is probably telling you to
use the octane rating you will see on the pump. Another great source
for information is a servicing dealer. Go to a Volvo dealer and talk
to the service manager. He will tell you right away what gas to use
and what happens if you don't. Do not try to apply what you see here
about Deloreans and think it will fit your Volvo. In general if you
require 91 octane you can get a way with less if it isn't too hot and
you don't do it often and you drive the car easy. For more frequent
use you will have to detune the car (retard the timing). This will
cause the fuel consumption to increase and the emissions. You may also
have to change the spark plugs (colder).

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Nathan Robinson <nathanrobinson_at_dml_g...>

Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 21:17:21 -0800
From: "Owen _at_dml_ Aerodrome" <owen_at_dml_aerodrome.us>

Nathan Robinson wrote:

> I kinda hate to bring up the whole Volvo/DMC PRV-6 thing agian... but
> I have a question about the fuel used in said engine, as there are
> some very knowledgable people on this list.
>
> As I have said earlier, I have a 1980 Volvo 264 GLE (close enough of
> the same PRV-6 engine.)
>
> Now. My manufacturers book states to use 91 octane, however it doesn't
> specify as to which continent. Would I presume this to be the European
> octane rating? There is a significant difference in price, so I'm
> somewhat interested if it would be considered safe to run 87 Oct. in
> the PRV-6 engine.

Does it specify the method?  The (R+M)/2 method is what's typically used for octane levels in the US.

-Owen

Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 05:50:14 -0000
From: "lakelanier20" <derek4567_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: DeLorean sighting in Atlanta. Was it yours?

Hi everyone,
    I was driving up I-85 this past Tuesday (1-18-05) just north of
downtown Atlanta, and saw a DeLorean with Georgia license plate 752
FTA.  I'm just wondering if the owner reads this list.  If you do,
please let me know!  I was not driving my DeLorean at the time, so
there was no way to get you to "recognize" me on the road.

I managed to find this photo of the car I saw.  It was taken by
Walter Coe at the SEDOC cruise-in in 2001, I believe.

http://www.dmcforum.org/images/sedoc2001/081exhaustpipes3.jpg

-Derek L

Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 00:45:31 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

Nathan,

Here is the fuel requirement rating for your engine as quoted from the Volvo
owners manual.

"Volvo engines require unleaded gasoline with an (R+M)/2 octane (also called
the Anti-Knock Index, or AKI) of 87 or higher. This is generally equivalent
to a Research Octane Number (RON) of 91 or higher."

In simple terms the answer is 87 octane.

DMC Joe

Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 06:54:54 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

I'm just curious to know how it ignites faster to the extent that it
will ignite while the piston is still on its way up. If there is
preignition then the engine has overheated valve or plug problems. If
the engine is trying to ignite fuel while the piston is still on its
way up-the engine won't run at all or kickback. -----Dani B.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Benson" <delornut_at_dml_p...> wrote:

> I'm not quite sure what your saying here but basically if you use a fuel
> without octane enhancers it ignites faster.The faster it ignites, the
> farther from top dead center it happens. At some point you're trying to
> drive the piston down while it's still coming up. That's not good.
Adding
> higher compression or higher intake temps as with a turbo contributes to
> faster ignition. In that case you need to tone down the fuel with octane
> enhancers. Newer engine management systems like obII will compensate and
> retard spark but a turbo DeLorean will have problems with low octane
fuel.
> Older cars designed with leaded gas in mind relied on the lead to
lubricate
> the valves. Running them on unleaded for any length of time requires
> hardened valve seats or there will be eventual problems. The
DeLorean is too

Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 08:16:53 -0000
From: "sweitzel_2000" <sweitzel_at_dml_lffltd.com>

I bought one of these discs about 8 months ago on ebay. The show
itself came from the History Channel. Actually, the narration calls
it "History International" I'm not sure if it ever aired. It's a
pretty cut and dry rehash of the company history and facts about the
car. It's got nice factory footage though. If I had my pick however,
I really liked this compilation
ViewItem&rd=1&item=2493812893
"Delorean the Man and his car" It's got tons of really good stuff on
it. The interviews of John D in 1985 are worth the price of the disc
alone. I highly recommend it. (no i'm not affiliated with the sellers
of either of these discs)

Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 09:24:05 -0500
From: Hank <heskin_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Delorean DVD - Copyright infringment?

It's clear VB is trying to CHA by including the following:

"* Note to eBay VERO Program:
This video features compilations of public domain footage, or
non-licensed video footage where the copyright is either expired or
has not been renewed as verified by the library of congress."

I don't buy it - I'd like to see the proof that this program is in the
public domain and/or the copyright has expired.  To to quiet everyone
down VB, how about a letter from The History Channel giving you rights
to sell this program?  And just because it's a "compilation" doesn't
get around the fact that part of it is copyrighted and illegal to
distribute.

(BTW, the Ebay VERO program is the "Verified Rights Owner" program on
Ebay that allows mark owners to close auctions in violation of their
trademarks and copyrights".  It's apparent that someone has been
complaining to Ebay about these auctions and shutting them down, and
these are attempts by VB to keep them up.)

And that disclaimer was on the mysteriously closed auction.   Here is
his replacement (97 available):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2493812184&category=42606

Now he just says "I am the owner and creator of this Video DVD
Compilation." which is clearly BS.   He doesn't own the material, even
if it is in the public domain.

-Hank

Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 08:29:42 -0600
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

More likely that the throttle plates are not fully closed at idle.

-Joe Kuchan

Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 08:59:11 -0600
From: "Bruce Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

 The ignition process starts at the most opportune time to get the force of
the explosion to drive the piston down. In the DeLorean's case the
hemispherical head design, which acts to control the burn rate and direct
the energy produced, along with 87 octane fuel requires the ignition burn to
start at 13 degrees before top dead center. Thus, by the time the crankshaft
rotates the final 13 degrees and the piston is at top dead center the
optimum force is developed to drive the piston down. When a faster burn fuel
mix is introduced the whole scenario can change. The optimum force of the
explosion can happen too soon before top dead center. When, for example, a
turbocharger is introduced into the mix the intake temps rise simply because
of the exhaust element being used as a power source and the fact that temps
rise as the incoming air is compressed. When you mix that with a low octane
fuel you have a more volatile mix that will have an uncontrolled burn.You'll
put a downward force on the piston while it still needs to get to TDC. The
result is loud pinging and if you don't back off the throttle you'll soon
end up with anything from cracked rings to holes in pistons. Needless to say
this is all puts a lot of extra strain on the piston rods, crankshaft and
related bearings. Sometimes, if carbon deposits build up in the cyl head
compression is raised and the engine pings on low octane fuel. This can
happen if ,for extended periods, you've used high octane fuel in an engine
designed for low octane fuel. The slower burn causes the carbon build up and
in a way the car has developed a dependency on high octane fuel.

Bruce Benson

Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 10:05:01 -0500
From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>
Subject: Tucker

Watched the tv presentation on Tucker - "Behind the Headlights" on Speedvision.

Very interesting similarity to John DeLorean and his project. They used the term "dream" in several areas of the show. Tucker and DeLorean had the same fate. Someone wanted them both out of business. The story implied the big 3 automakers of the time were very concerned about the advances in engineering and style of the Tucker, and how it may affect their sales and their futures. Tucker apparently had commitments for 1,000,000 cars prior to the government intervention, seizure of his books, and charges of fraud, etc., for which years later, he was found not guilty. Among the charges were falsely promoting and taking money for a car that he did not build, a car that would not run. It was proven, of course, that he did build the car - about 36 initially, and they did run.

DeLorean and Tucker were men of vision, passion, enthusiasm, drive, and both had a dream. Both were under capitalized. Both were almost "there"!

The automobile passionate public was cheated by both failures.

Marv.
# 17077
marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com

Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 11:56:37 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

Thanks Bruce,

You have eloquently and accurately given the subject of "DeLorean fuel" an
easy to understand explanation for both the skilled and novice reader. WELL
DONE!

DMC Joe