From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2442
Date: Saturday, January 22, 2005 6:03 PM

1. Re: DeLorean requested for State Fram Founder's Day celebrations
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>

2. Re: Individual car history
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

3. Re: Individual car history
From: Murray Fisher <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net>

4. RE: Individual Car History
From: "sgskbm" <SGSKBM_at_dml_aol.com>

5. Re: High Idle
From: JDub <doki_pen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Re: Brass screw and rocker question
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

7. Re: Dead Delorean in NY
From: "Rustproof" <Rustproof_at_dml_comcast.net>

8. Re:Stainless Frame was auto lift
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

9. BTTF 20th Anniversary Screening update
From: "BTTF.com" <stephen_at_dml_bttf.com>

10. Re: Individual car history
From: "Dennis" <isoltrqca_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Re: Individual car history
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Re: Individual car history
From: "p12c16" <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

13. Re: Individual car history
From: "p12c16" <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

14. Re: DeLorean requested for State Fram Founder's Day celebrations
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>

15. DeLorean Club of Ohio - Web
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 20:15:48 -0500
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: DeLorean requested for State Fram Founder's Day celebrations

How ironic is this when they will not accept any new customers who own DeLoreans!!!!!!!!!!

Cecil Longwisch
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 18:37:47 -0500
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>
Subject: Re: Individual car history

Hey Patrick,

I think that was Ken's doing.  Remember when he had your entire interior
apart?

-Josh

Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 16:51:43 -0800
From: Murray Fisher <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net>

My story is not exactly finding something, but finding NOTHING....I
bought 5962 from the original owner with 3K miles on it.....He told me
the radio had never worked and as he never listened to one in any car,
he never got it fixed....due to my bum hearing, I never gave it a
thought, as I never listen to one either.   After a couple years I
decided I wanted to get it fixed.   The Tech stood on his head under the
dash...I am not kidding....he even took his shoes off so they would
dmage the upholstery!  Ha.  He said the reason the radio didn't work was
simple......there were NO FUSES in either fuse holder and he was sure
it  probably came from the factory that way.....two new fuses and it was
fixed and working great.  I wonder if any others had that problem!!
Murray
    Vin: 05962
    Lic: DMC-XII

Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 01:10:26 -0000
From: "sgskbm" <SGSKBM_at_dml_aol.com>

Maybe, I have one that will astound you all!  I bought mine several
years ago from Children's Hospital in San Diego where it had been
donated.  At the time, it had 6,200 miles on it.

I found a temporay parking pass under the front seat, from a local
Country Club in Puma Valley, with John Deloren's wife name on it.
The windshield also had a Puma Valley Country Club sticker on it in
the lower left had corner.

The Country Club is located in the same city where they had a home in
the San Diego area.

Scot

Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 17:21:58 -0800 (PST)
From: JDub <doki_pen_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: High Idle

So the saga continues....

Today I tried blocking off those springy deceleration
things and the car idled perfect.  Does this mean they
are the culprit?

Jon

--- JDub <doki_pen_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:

> Bill,
> the
> same page:
>
> > Are you sure the big O rings on your U pipes are
> the
> > right size, and
> > in good condition?
>
> The O-rings definately are not leaking I checked
> that.
>

> > The nipple you were blowing through is ported
> > vacuum.
>
> Of course, I said I was pumping 5psi air in to the
> vacuum port.
>
> > If you sprayed
> > soapy water on the
> > upstream side (towards the air sensor plate) of
> > course you'd see bubbles.
>
> I was spraying the bubbly water on to the other side
> of the butterflies.  The soapy water confirmed that
> air is getting by the throttle shaft where it passes
> through the throttle body.

<snip -- excessive quoted material trimmed>

Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 02:18:53 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Brass screw and rocker question

Sparking wire was fixed, and wires were checked again to make sure the
order was right. Timing and valve lash have nothing to do with my idle
problem, they've been ruled out after rechecking the checking; as is
vacuum leaks. I know you can't adjust valves if they're being held
open (valves adj. was completed successfully days ago so it doesn't
even matter)- it is just when I read "on the rock" in the book and
looked at my #5 I&E, they were off the lobe-I expected "on the rock"
to mean one was supposed to be on the lobe-valve open but now that I
read it again it says both rockers on the rock-no way that both valves
would be open at the same time so I understand now. I'm trying to
figure out if the cam is a tooth off-what I should have done was go by
cam markings in relation to the key on the crankshaft-a bit late now.
Once I make sure my cams are where they're supposed to be, I'm going
to do a little adjustment with the CO screw-this has been adjusted
before by PO BEFORE replacing anything and also my air adj. screw was
well open-so they just made things good to make the engine run well
back then-NOW that it is full of new parts and good adjustments (not
to mention daily startups instead of adjusting an engine just after
years or rest)-it may be safe to say the CO adjustment is no good for
the condition of the engine now. Who was it again that said their cam
was off a tooth from factory? What were the symptoms?? -----Dani B. #5003

Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 21:37:49 -0500
From: "Rustproof" <Rustproof_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Dead Delorean in NY

I saw that dead Delorean  about a month ago at that Shell station on the
corner. I think it had some panther stickers on the rear windows. I was on
my way back to Boston and I pulled in for some gas. The windows were steamed
up and the interior was soaked.  (And I mean REALLY wet) The kind of wet you
get when something has been submerged. It looked like it was there for a
while at that time. The guys at the station didn't have a clue.
Rustproof
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 04:32:48 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re:Stainless Frame was auto lift

Sorry about that - I keep meaning to write it up, and now Ken's after
me to put it in the magazing. Here's the short version written on a
snowy Friday night...

The owner of the car is an older gentleman in my area (IL) who does
not have email (i.e. is not on the list). He did not make it to
Pigeon Forge (he went to the WWII Veteran's Memorial dedication in DC
instead, it meant a lot more to him and I can't disagree). I'd expect
to see him at Pheasant run since it's only about 45 minutes away.

This car was a perfect example of a Stainless Frame conversion
candidate. He's  owned it since new, and drove it year around for the
first 5 years he had it. The speedometer currently shows about 70,000
miles. The Chicago salt took its toll on the frame and it was getting
unsafe. When it was new, he had a garage and worked at a place with
indoor parking, so the car was always parked inside. While that
didn't help the frame, the interior and facias look great. This car
looked absolutely perfect as long as you didn't look underneath it.

The original plan was that I separated the car into the two parts, he
spent the winter swapping everything over, and I would put it back
together. He ran into some medical difficulties near the end of the
winter (fine now) so I agreed to finish it off. He'd done most of the
work, but I ended up pulling the engine and trans out again to change
the rear main seal. I also had to finish up some of the plumbing. He
had essentially just moved everything over, doing some minor painting
and cleaning here and there but his intent was not a concours level
restoration (I hesitate to say Concours on an SS frame car, but you
get the idea). His intent was to make a car that was a reliable
driver year around. At his age, keeping it in the garage half the
year is not a good option.

I did get the car back together in a couple of weekends and he drove
it home. There were only two latent problems afterwards - I had told
him that the rack was pretty sloppy and he decided to wait on it, and
there was a leak in the trans that had been there as long as he owned
the car, and I couldn't find it either. It has since been fixed by
a "factory trained" DeLorean mechanic in our area - sometimes you
just give up and pay someone!

The only other big complication was that I had to replace the air
conditioning evaporator and bottle, which were leaking and rusted in
place. That, to me, was the worst part of the whole project!

If I had to hazard a guess it would be about $15K. I don't know what
it really cost him, but keep in mind that he replaced the frame, and
used all the nice Pearce control arms (upper, lower, and rear) along
with new ball joints and bushings. I think the price of all that
stuff is on Pearce's web site. The only other major improvements that
he did were to replace the fuel lines with completely stainless lines
and install the Marty Maier suspension. It turns out that the SS line
vendor to the hot rod market (whose name escapes me) has, in their
CAD system, the specs on the DeLorean fuel lines (thanks to Marty!).
Perhaps Marty will jump in and remind me who that is.

My first impression driving it was amazement at how much more "solid"
the car felt than others I'd driven. Pearce was right - the frame is
much more stiff than the stock one.

More details and photos in "DeLorean Car Show Magazine" --- someday
(Ken I promise - but I'll probably re-use some of these words).

Dave S

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "joecellularjoe"

Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 13:36:01 -0000
From: "BTTF.com" <stephen_at_dml_bttf.com>
Subject: BTTF 20th Anniversary Screening update

The 7:30 PM showing has already sold out for this event at the
ArcLight Hollywood Cinemas, however, a second showing has been added
at 10:40 PM and tickets for that show are on sale now.

In addition, the Q&A session in between screenings has added several
more cast & crew members.  As of this writing, Tom Wilson ("Biff"),
Lea Thompson ("Lorraine"), Claudia Wells ("Jennifer"), Producer Neil
Canton, and Editor Harry Keramidas are confirmed to join previously
announced Writer/Producer Bob Gale and Christopher Lloyd ("Doc")
during the Q&A.

Further details can be found at www.BTTF.com and
www.ArcLightCinemas.com.

Thanks,

Stephen Clark
BTTF.com

Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 14:59:09 -0000
From: "Dennis" <isoltrqca_at_dml_yahoo.com>

i used to hide a second key under the ashtray also, so i could let my car running in the
winter.  i had 2 deloreans when i was younger and get got my 3rd one never found a key,
but i left on in the 2 i sold when i was younger.   have a great day. dennis#2341

Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 17:46:29 -0000
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

> When I first got my car I unscrewed and lifted out the coin tray and
found a brand new lit
> door key hidden underneath it.  I'm not sure why on earth a door key
would be hidden
> underneath the coin tray inside the car, but it was there.  Anyone
else find one hidden in
> the same spot?  Maybe it came from the factory or dealership like
that.  Go rip out the
> tray---see whats hidden below it.  And no cocaine jokes please.  :)

Now you're gonna make me go look, I guess it beats shovelling snow
here in NYC
Harry vin #2696

Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 18:58:00 -0000
From: "p12c16" <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

Nope---this was found on day #1, before anyone else had ripped the interior apart.  The
key was covered in a pile of mouse feces, but it was still like new and I doubt it had ever
even been used.  Of course the battery was dead in it though.

Patrick
1880

Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 19:11:01 -0000
From: "p12c16" <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

I know of an owner in Cincinnati with a 4,000 mile '83, and as I recall he said the radio
(ASI) didn't work when he bought the car, so he had a different radio put in.  I wonder if
perhaps there weren't any fuses in his ASI when he bought the car.

Patrick
1880

Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 11:34:01 -0800
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>

I live in Salem and my car#2105 will be on display at State Farm.
  My Delorean is insured through Haggarty but my Benz that is my daily
driver is insured through State Farm. My SF agent keeps trying to get
me to insure the D through them on a collectors policy that is
equivalent to my Haggarty policy so my thought is that they are not
accepting new policies for D's that are daily drivers.

Phil Priestley
Alessandros Restaurant
http://alessandros120.com/
(503)370-9951
1(866)225-7985

Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 14:24:49 -0800 (PST)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DeLorean Club of Ohio - Web

The DeLorean Club of Ohio (DCO) finally has web presence
http://www.ohiodeloreans.com, as does Bauerle Automotive
http://www.ohiodeloreans.com/Bauerle.htm .

Eventhough "ohio" is in the name we do not limit ourselves to those boundaries.
Anyone is welcome to attend any event planed and even join the club.

We hope to use this site to better inform owners/enthusiast of events/get
togethers in the greater Ohio valley.

Events have just been updated & others are yet to come. Go check them out.

Shannon Y

http://my.yahoo.com