From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2443
Date: Sunday, January 23, 2005 4:46 PM

1. Re: DeLorean requested for State Fram Founder's Day celebrations
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

2. RE: DeLorean requested for State Farm Founder's Day
From: darryl_at_dml_techline.com

3. Re: DeLorean Club of Ohio - Web
From: "sandorp1" <piszar_at_dml_comcast.net>

4. Delorean for sale #6583 (ebay)
From: "smileksr" <michaelbarth_at_dml_hotmail.com>

5. Individual car histories: Thanks!
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

6. 3 post idle microswitch
From: "wayofcain" <wayofcain_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Re: High Idle
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

8. Buying a DeLorean over a long-distance.
From: ComposerZelgadis_at_dml_aol.com

9. dw magazine critique
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

10. Re: 3 post idle microswitch
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

11. Re: 3 post idle microswitch
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

12. RE: 3 post idle microswitch
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

13. RE: Buying a DeLorean over a long-distance.
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

14. Re: Buying a DeLorean over a long-distance.
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

15. Re: DeLorean requested for State Fram Founder's Day celebrations
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. Re: Buying a DeLorean over a long-distance.
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Re: Stainless Frame / Fuel Lines
From: wingd2_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 00:24:22 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: DeLorean requested for State Fram Founder's Day celebrations

Insurance varies wildly fron State-to-State. In some States a company
may not even offer insurance for certain kinds of cars and in other
States they aggresively seek out that business. It is affected to a
large extent by the Laws under which the must operate and they DO vary
a lot between each State. Some States are No-Fault, some don't even
require insurance for a car. In some States it is very cheap to stick
on your homeowner's policy and in some States you must seek a separate
policy. Even a nationwide company Like Haggerty must tailor it's
products to the Laws of each State. What they can offer in say New
York will look nothing like say Wisconson. Here in New Jersey Allstate
will not take on any new collector vehicles, they will continue to
insure them if only if they have been with them from the time they
were seeking such business. In general most insurance brokers are not
familar with insuring older cars. You will usually do better going
direct with the companies that specialize in that area. They can all
be found easily in Hemmings Motor News. Among the leaders is Hagerty
and Tailor. They also go the the big car shows like Hershey. If you do
use a car as a daily driver you had better watch what they do for it's
value. You would not want to have a small accident and then have the
car totaled for say $2,000 because it will cost more to fix than it's
book value. I do not know of any insurers that will let you set an
"agreed value" on a daily driver. All of the "collector" insurers set
mileage limits AND age limits on the drivers. The bottom line here is
to get a quotes from as many companies as you can and try to educate
yourself as to EXACTLY what is covered, what the limitations are, and
what (if any) is the "AGREED VALUE".

Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 15:05:52 -0800
From: darryl_at_dml_techline.com
Subject: RE: DeLorean requested for State Farm Founder's Day

Am I the only one who finds this a little ironic?  State Farm's official
policy is that the DeLorean is on the list of cars they will not insure.  I
know, many owners including me do have their coverage, but I was only able to
get it after throwing a fit and threatening to take all of my business (5
cars, Harley, and house) elsewhere.  My agent at the time refused to help at
all, and even told me to find another agent if I didn't like it, which I did.
Even then, they said when this car is gone, don't even ask about insuring
another one.  But as has been discussed here before this policy seems to vary
widely nationwide.

Darryl Tinnerstet
McCleary, WA

Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 02:42:51 -0000
From: "sandorp1" <piszar_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: DeLorean Club of Ohio - Web

Shannon,

Thanks for the heads-up on your club.  I am a new owner living in the
Detroit area and your organization is the first I've seen that is
located relatively close.

Looking at the Events section on your site, I happily noticed that
you have the Woodward Dream Cruise listed.  I cruised the event last
year in my previous toy, a 5.0 Stang.  I saw only one Delorean.  This
year, I look forward to crusing in my Delorean with your member's
cars; a fleet of Deloreans cruising down Woodward together will be a
sight to see!

Sandor
# 3002

Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 00:45:04 -0000
From: "smileksr" <michaelbarth_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Delorean for sale #6583 (ebay)

Hi,
Many of you have expressed interest in my Delorean currently on
ebay, and I wanted to let you know that I have lowered the reserve
to $14,101 after a long conversation with my wife.  As of this
moment, the next bid will have met the reserve.  Good luck!!  Call
me with questions or if you need more information...Mike 413-306-4220

Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 03:29:45 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Individual car histories: Thanks!

I had no idea that this would be such a popular and fascinating
topic.

Thanks to everyone who shared their stories. To me, the two most
fascinating ones was the Christina DeLorean parking pass and the OEM
key under the ashtray. Especially since it was found -before-
tearing the car apart.

Thanks again,

Rich A.

Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 05:10:16 -0000
From: "wayofcain" <wayofcain_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: 3 post idle microswitch

I have a Specialtauto idle microswitch. The original microswitch has
2 prongs. One the top it is labeled C and on the bottom it is labeled
NC NO. On the SpecialTauto microswitch it has three prongs. Common,
normally open and normally closed.

Can someone using this microswitch tell me the proper connection,
normally open or normally closed?

Thank you,
Cain Grimes

Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 03:53:43 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: High Idle

Not sure if this may help anyone else, but I read in the manual that
the brass air adjustment screw should be fully seated, since the
DeLorean doesn't use this-uses the electric idle system. Sure enough
when I checked-all my brass screws were damn near wide open letting
additional air right in-closing the adj screw gave me a much lower
idle and better performance. -----Dani B. #5003

Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 02:29:05 -0500
From: ComposerZelgadis_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Buying a DeLorean over a long-distance.

Like the subject title implies, how does one go about on purchasing a DeLorean over a long distance, when neither the buyer nor seller have the capability of meeting face to face?

I've been corresponding with a DeLorean owner who's interested in selling.  I've had a mechanic from the DML--a real nice guy, too--have a look at her, and says the car is good for all practical purposes.  The current owner of this car and I are ready to deal, but not entirely sure as to how to go about on doing it.  We need some way of doing so that would ensure security for both of us.  I was a bit curious as to how other people, particularly on the DML, have gone about on doing this.  As far as I can tell, the current owner is also a nice guy.  Honest, too.  He even went so far as to say the same about me.  Still, when you're dealing with a lot of money, *everyone* feels better when there's security involved, myself included.  So, DML collective, what say you?

Regards,
William F.

Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 12:31:37 -0500
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: dw magazine critique

I just received my latest issue of dw magazine from DeLorean One. It looks
like Ed Bernstein has been voted out and a new staff is running the show
now. The content and journalistic quality of the articles leave much to be
desired. I've written and had articles published in DW and had to make some
minor revisions based on suggestions from the current editor at that time.
The new editor apparently lacks these essential editing skills and now the
magazine has further deteriorated. Good luck guys, I'll be reading Kens
magazine from now on.

Dave Sontos

Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 12:21:25 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: 3 post idle microswitch

In a message dated 1/23/05 11:03:04 AM Central Standard Time,
wayofcain_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

> I have a Specialtauto idle microswitch. The original microswitch has
> 2 prongs. One the top it is labeled C and on the bottom it is labeled
> NC NO. On the SpecialTauto microswitch it has three prongs. Common,
> normally open and normally closed.
>
> Can someone using this microswitch tell me the proper connection,
> normally open or normally closed?
>
> Thank you,
> Cain Grimes
> 002835

How about calling John Hervey when you have questions with his products?  I
am sure he takes calls on Sundays.

Or use a multimeter with your old microswitch to find out how it functions.
I have one of his switches too but my car is in storage or else I'd tell you
how I wired it.

Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 17:59:45 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

However you hook it up when it is at idle and the throttle hits the
micro switch you should have continuity. Don't get too hung up on NC
and NO. BTW if you bought the switch from a vendor you should be
asking him for advice first. They like to help their customers so they
are the first place to go. You can also check the old switch. See if
it works and how it acts.

Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 11:39:41 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Cain, Black goes to ( common ) and other wire goes to ( Norm Open )

Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 12:36:10 -0500
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: RE: Buying a DeLorean over a long-distance.

When dealing with a lot of money a couple hundred bucks for a plane ticket
is cheap insurance in making sure you get what you are paying for.

Dave Sontos

Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 17:55:06 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

I am going to refer you to Hemmings Motor News. In the section
Appraisel Services you will find many appraisers that will not only
examine the car for you, they will handle the transaction including
the money, the paperwork, and the transportation. What most people
would do is to hire them for the initial inspection and then to close
the deal they would travel themselves. Generally it is not necessary
to "import" a Delorean. There are plenty just about all over the
country. Spend a little more and then you won't have to pay for the
appraiser and the transportation. Take your time and you will find one
a lot closer to home. There have been many instances of where someone
bought a car within minuets of their house, never knowing or seeing
the car before. You can also use an Attorney to hold the money and the
title. The "best" way to do it is to actually be there with someone
knowledgable about Deloreans in particular. Get a hold of the local
club and see if any members can help you. Have the owner give you the
service records and call the vendor he used to see what was done to
the car. If it was seen by them recently they can also give you some
indication of it's condition.

Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 18:34:52 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

In november I just added vin #16851 to my State Farm policy. When did
this change occur? And why would any insurance company not allow
someone to use their car for daily use?

Joe OBrien

Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 14:03:54 EST
From: wingd2_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Stainless Frame / Fuel Lines

In a message dated 1/22/2005 6:10:13 PM Central Standard Time,

  From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
  Subject: Re:Stainless Frame was auto lift

  The only other major improvements that
  he did were to replace the fuel lines with completely stainless lines
  and install the Marty Maier suspension. It turns out that the SS line
  vendor to the hot rod market (whose name escapes me) has, in their
  CAD system, the specs on the DeLorean fuel lines (thanks to Marty!).
  Perhaps Marty will jump in and remind me who that is.

--------------------
   The company that has all the specs on this is "Classic Tube" out east. I
don't know if they list all the parts or not on their web site, but they did a
complete set of stainless lines for every "hard" pipe on the car for a frame
off rebuild we did to a club members car a year or so ago. Fuel system, brake
system, vacuum and heater lines. The only thing they did not do in stainless
were the main water pipes, they were to large a diameter for their bending
machine to handle.  The owner of this car was much like the guy you talk about. He
lives up in the Chicago area and has had his car since new in 82. The frame on
this car was in pretty good shape, so it was chemically stripped, repaired
and then hot dip galvanized before the car was all put back together again. He
hopes to get at least another 25 years of enjoyable driving out of it before he
hands it over to his kids.

   Marty