From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2444
Date: Monday, January 24, 2005 2:38 PM


There are 25 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

1. Re: DeLorean requested for State Fram Founder's Day celebrations
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>

2. DeLorean Hood Needed
From: "lakelanier20" <derek4567_at_dml_hotmail.com>

3. Re: DeLorean requested for State Fram Founder's Day celebrations
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

4. Re: dw magazine critique
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

5. Re: DeLorean requested for State Fram Founder's Day celebrations
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

6. DeLorean Hood Needed
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>

7. Re: 3 post idle microswitch
From: "wayofcain" <wayofcain_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: DeLorean Hood Needed
From: "Bruce Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

9. Re: dw magazine critique
From: "Bruce Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

10. Re: Re: 3 post idle microswitch
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

11. Re: DeLorean Hood Needed
From: "p12c16" <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

12. Re: DeLorean requested for State Fram Founder's Day celebrations
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

13. Re: DeLorean Hood Needed
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

14. Re: DeLorean requested for State Fram Founder's Day celebrations
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>

15. Re: DeLorean Hood Needed
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

16. Re: Re: DeLorean requested for State Fram Founder's Day celebrations
From: "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

17. RE: 3 post idle microswitch
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

18. Tony Swan
From: "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

19. Re: 3 post idle microswitch
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

20. ??DeLoreans for rent in Southwest Missouri??
From: "thetandycollector" <thetandycollector_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. Re: Buying a DeLorean over a long-distance.
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. Buying a Delorean over a long distance
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>

23. Re: 3 post idle microswitch
From: "endotex23" <endotex23_at_dml_yahoo.com>

24. RE: Re: 3 post idle microswitch
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

25. The Prodigal DeLorean driver
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>





Message: 1
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 17:39:11 -0500
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: DeLorean requested for State Fram Founder's Day celebrations


Operative word here is ADDED. 
They will not accept any new customers with DeLoreans.
Also, if you list your car as a collector car with virtually any insurance company it can not be your daily driver. In fact, generally speaking ,you can never even drive it to work or on errands as a collector car. I spoke within the last three months to Haegerty and several other specialty companies who stated if it is damaged or stolen in these uses and they have collector coverage it will not be covered. Even though I only drive mine a couple of times  a month to work I just want to ensure I am insured!


Cecil Longwisch
#10663
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Joe OBrien<mailto:joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com> 
  To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com<mailto:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com> 
  Sent: Sunday, January 23, 2005 1:34 PM
  Subject: Re: [DML] DeLorean requested for State Fram Founder's Day celebrations




  In november I just added vin #16851 to my State Farm policy. When did
  this change occur? And why would any insurance company not allow
  someone to use their car for daily use?


  Joe OBrien



  --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com<mailto:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>, "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_m<mailto:dmc1982_at_dml_m>...> wrote:
  > 
  > How ironic is this when they will not accept any new customers who
  own DeLoreans!!!!!!!!!!
  > 
  > 
  > 
  > Cecil Longwisch
  > #10663
  >   ----- Original Message ----- 
  >   From: ksgrimsr<mailto:knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_i<mailto:knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_i>...> 
  >   To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com<mailto:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com<mailto:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com<mailto:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>> 
  >   Sent: Friday, January 21, 2005 6:29 PM
  >   Subject: [DML] DeLorean requested for State Fram Founder's Day
  celebrations
  > 
  > 
  > 
  > 
  > 
  >   Hi Folks,
  > 
  >   I received a call from State Farm that they are seeking a DeLorean 
  >   to be part of an exhibit and celebration for a couple corporate 
  >   events they are putting on. This is part of their Founder's Day 
  >   Celebration that they are organizing.
  > 
  >   They have two events they are seeking a DeLorean for:
  > 
  >   June 7th 11am-2pm in Salem Oregon. About 500 people expected
  >   June 8th 11am-2pm in Dupont Washington. About 1000 people expected
  > 
  >   Lunch will be provided. The setting will include a number of other 
  >   classic cars on display as well.
  > 
  >   If you are interested in participating in the State Farm exhibit, 
  >   please drop me a note and I'll get you directly connected with the 
  >   State Farm event organizers.
  > 
  >         Knut
  > 





  To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address:
  moderators_at_dml_dmcnews.com<mailto:moderators_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

  For more info on the list, tech articles, cars for sale see www.dmcnews.com<http://www.dmcnews.com/>

  To search the archives or view files, log in at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews> 
  Yahoo! Groups Links



   





[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]






________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 2
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 22:58:03 -0000
From: "lakelanier20" <derek4567_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: DeLorean Hood Needed



Hi everyone,
     Well, this is a sad post for me, but last night the "wind 
storm" we had here in Atlanta knocked over a basketball hoop in my 
friend's driveway which landed right on my hood.  Murphy's law at 
it's best, as that basketball hoop has been standing there for over 
a decade and has never fallen over.  So all I had to do was park a 
DeLorean in front of it, and bingo.  I had a nice, late '81 hood 
with grooves and no gas flap, no dents and minimal x-mark.  I would 
really like to find the same thing to replace it with, and only want 
to get a "flat" hood from Houston as a last resort.  If anyone has 
an accent line, no gas-flap hood they are willing to sell, I would 
be eternally grateful.  Please drop me a line.

I'm assuming that what I've read before still stands as true(?):  
That the black structural support attached to the underside of the 
hood is forever fused to the stainless, and that any dents that 
occur opposite the black support are impossible to fix.  Correct me 
if that's wrong.  Naturally, 95% of what happened last night is 
along the edges, opposite the black support beams.

Thanks a lot,
-Derek L
VIN 5302








________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 3
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 23:09:44 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: DeLorean requested for State Fram Founder's Day celebrations


It depends on the insurance company and the policy, but many 
collector car insurance companies put limits on the total miles
and the usage of a collector car.  The reason they do this is
to control the risk of damage to the car.  You are asking them
to insure a vehicle that is more than likely difficult and 
expensive to repair due to parts availability, technology, skill
of repair, among other reasons.  Daily use implies that the car
is basic transportation and is not of special importance to the
owner, which increases the likelihood of a claim.

--
Mike


-------------- Original message from "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>: -------------- 


> 
> 
> In november I just added vin #16851 to my State Farm policy. When did 
> this change occur? And why would any insurance company not allow 
> someone to use their car for daily use? 
> 
> 
> Joe OBrien 
> 
> 
> 

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]






________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 4
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 23:19:52 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: dw magazine critique


Speaking of magazines, there is a profile of a DeLorean in the current
issue of Sport Car Market magazine.  There is a good discussion of 
why the higher-end collector car market values originality over 
modifications.

--
Mike


-------------- Original message from "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>: -------------- 


> 
> 
> I just received my latest issue of dw magazine from DeLorean One. It looks 
> like Ed Bernstein has been voted out and a new staff is running the show 
> now. The content and journalistic quality of the articles leave much to be 
> desired. I've written and had articles published in DW and had to make some 
> minor revisions based on suggestions from the current editor at that time. 
> The new editor apparently lacks these essential editing skills and now the 
> magazine has further deteriorated. Good luck guys, I'll be reading Kens 
> magazine from now on. 
> 
> 
> 
> Dave Sontos 
> 
> Vin 02573 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address: 
> moderators_at_dml_dmcnews.com 
> 
> For more info on the list, tech articles, cars for sale see www.dmcnews.com 
> 
> To search the archives or view files, log in at 
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews 
> Yahoo! Groups Links 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]






________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 5
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 23:22:13 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: DeLorean requested for State Fram Founder's Day celebrations



The insurance thread is an old one, but it's also one that needs 
clarification. Collector car insurance is no big deal. Anyone can 
find it. However, it's daily driver insurance for a DeLorean that's 
the problem.

DeLoreans are far cheaper parts wise, in comparison to many modern 
vehicles. But many places just won't insure them, unless it's 
liability only. Which is the way that I ended up having to go. 
Otherwise, you get some asinine rates. Geico wanted to charge me 
$2,600 every six months. Even the guy on the phone couldn't believe 
that price.

Yeah, I know that insurance policies vary from state to state, blah, 
blah. But that doesn't change the fact that so many mainstream car 
insurance companies are giving us DeLorean owners such a hard time. 
Collector car insurance isn't an option for me. I didn't spend all my 
hard work and money on this car, to let some fool in an office, 
thousands of miles away, dictate to me how, and when I can drive MY 
car!

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"








________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 6
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 18:31:24 -0600
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>
Subject: DeLorean Hood Needed


Call Houston and email them some photos.
 
They will most likely be able to tell you if it can be fixed or if you need
a replacement.
 
Scott Mueller 002981

-----Original Message-----
From: lakelanier20 [mailto:derek4567_at_dml_hotmail.com] 
Sent: Sunday, January 23, 2005 6:02 PM
To: DMCForum_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DMCForum] Re: DeLorean Hood Needed



Well, the damage isn't really that bad, it's just that most of it is 
about 2 inches from the edges, and I've heard that that can't be 
repaired with the backing behind it.  There are about 6 scrape/dents 
maybe 4 inches long.  I'll take some pics tomorrow.  

-Derek L



--- In DMCForum_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_h...> 
wrote:
> The chances of finding a lined hood is rare without spending 
around $2000 or 
> more.
> With shipping, you could spend a lot more.
> When I had this problem I ended up getting a flat hood from 
Houston.
> The hood was right at $1000 and I had it NEXT DAY since I am in 
Texas.
> The came is a cool shipping box and was A-OK.
> True, I do miss my lined hood and I hope to find another someday 
but for now 
> the DMCH
> hood will suffice.
> 
> How bad is the damge?
> There are skilled metal workers out there who can fix these things.



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]






________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 7
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 00:52:02 -0000
From: "wayofcain" <wayofcain_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: 3 post idle microswitch



--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Soma576_at_dml_a... wrote:
> How about calling John Hervey when you have questions with his 
products?  I am sure he takes calls on Sundays.

To answer your question. I spent all day Saturday (my only free day 
to work on the car until next month) attempting to contact him and 
soliciting advice from others, who may have known, before posting. 
John was unavailable and other Delorean owner friends did not know 
the answer. 

I am sure John would have returned my calls as soon as he was 
available, however, being in a time crunch, I turned to the wisdom of 
the list. The question was asinine in the way it was worded.

 
> Or use a multimeter with your old microswitch to find out how it 
functions.  

The old switch is defective. It no longer functions in a way that 
will provide me with any information.

> I have one of his switches too but my car is in storage or else I'd 
tell you how I wired it.

Thanks anyway.

Cain Grimes
002835

PS. I want to publicly thank John Hervey who did later contact me, 
and David Teitelbaum who responded with an informative and reasonable 
response.








________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 8
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 18:56:42 -0600
From: "Bruce Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>
Subject: Re: DeLorean Hood Needed


It's possible, depending on the extent of the damage, to cut out a section
of the fiberglass under the hood to access the damaged area of stainless. If
the section is cut carefully with a dremel tool or die grinder using a
cutoff wheel the removed section can be glassed back in place and painted
after the stainless has been repaired. .

Bruce Benson


> I'm assuming that what I've read before still stands as true(?):
> That the black structural support attached to the underside of the
> hood is forever fused to the stainless, and that any dents that
> occur opposite the black support are impossible to fix.  Correct me
> if that's wrong.  Naturally, 95% of what happened last night is
> along the edges, opposite the black support beams.
>
> Thanks a lot,
> -Derek L
> VIN 5302






________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 9
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 19:10:03 -0600
From: "Bruce Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>
Subject: Re: dw magazine critique


This profile is available along with many others on the Sports Car Market
web site. You no longer need to be a Gold member to access these profiles.
http://www.sportscarmarket.com/profiles/2005/February/Etceterini/index.html

Bruce Benson

> Speaking of magazines, there is a profile of a DeLorean in the current
> issue of Sport Car Market magazine.  There is a good discussion of
> why the higher-end collector car market values originality over
> modifications.
>
> --
> Mike







________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 10
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 01:16:27 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Re: 3 post idle microswitch


David Teitelbaum wrote:

>However you hook it up when it is at idle and the throttle hits the
>micro switch you should have continuity. Don't get too hung up on NC
>and NO. 
>
????????? It's a Single-pole, double-throw switch, you have to use the 
NO and common pins for it to close when the throttle arm hits it. I've 
worked on an engine with a Volvo type switch and it took a while to 
track this problem down

Martin






________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 11
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 01:46:18 -0000
From: "p12c16" <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: DeLorean Hood Needed



I would suggest taking it to DentWizard and see what they think about it (providing there 
is one near you).  I know that the place in Cincinnati has worked on DeLoreans before, and 
was able to remove a dent from someone's hood as well as their right front fender.  I'd 
suggest taking it to them for an estimate/if they can do it.

Patrick
1880


--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_m...> wrote:
> 
> Call Houston and email them some photos.
>  
> They will most likely be able to tell you if it can be fixed or if you need
> a replacement.
>  
> Scott Mueller 002981
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: lakelanier20 [mailto:derek4567_at_dml_h...] 
> Sent: Sunday, January 23, 2005 6:02 PM
> To: DMCForum_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
> Subject: [DMCForum] Re: DeLorean Hood Needed
> 
> 
> 
> Well, the damage isn't really that bad, it's just that most of it is 
> about 2 inches from the edges, and I've heard that that can't be 
> repaired with the backing behind it.  There are about 6 scrape/dents 
> maybe 4 inches long.  I'll take some pics tomorrow.  
> 
> -Derek L
> 
> 
> 
> --- In DMCForum_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_h...> 
> wrote:
> > The chances of finding a lined hood is rare without spending 
> around $2000 or 
> > more.
> > With shipping, you could spend a lot more.
> > When I had this problem I ended up getting a flat hood from 
> Houston.
> > The hood was right at $1000 and I had it NEXT DAY since I am in 
> Texas.
> > The came is a cool shipping box and was A-OK.
> > True, I do miss my lined hood and I hope to find another someday 
> but for now 
> > the DMCH
> > hood will suffice.
> > 
> > How bad is the damge?
> > There are skilled metal workers out there who can fix these things.
> 
> 
> 
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]








________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 12
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 20:24:43 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: DeLorean requested for State Fram Founder's Day celebrations


I have my car on State Farm on a $20,000 agreed, stated value policy.
They paid me out $10,000 for damages last year when I wrecked it.
Maybe it's my fault?
They have not said anything about it.... I am still fully covered.
- VB

>From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net
>Reply-To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>Subject: Re: [DML] DeLorean requested for State Fram Founder's Day 
>celebrations
>Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 23:09:44 +0000
>
>
>
>It depends on the insurance company and the policy, but many
>collector car insurance companies put limits on the total miles
>and the usage of a collector car.  The reason they do this is
>to control the risk of damage to the car.  You are asking them
>to insure a vehicle that is more than likely difficult and
>expensive to repair due to parts availability, technology, skill
>of repair, among other reasons.  Daily use implies that the car
>is basic transportation and is not of special importance to the
>owner, which increases the likelihood of a claim.
>
>--
>Mike
>
>
>-------------- Original message from "Joe OBrien" 
><joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>: --------------
>
>
> >
> >
> > In november I just added vin #16851 to my State Farm policy. When did
> > this change occur? And why would any insurance company not allow
> > someone to use their car for daily use?
> >
> >
> > Joe OBrien
> >
> >
> >
>
>[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
>
>
>
>To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address:
>moderators_at_dml_dmcnews.com
>
>For more info on the list, tech articles, cars for sale see www.dmcnews.com
>
>To search the archives or view files, log in at 
>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews
>Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
>
>
>
>







________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 13
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 01:50:20 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: DeLorean Hood Needed



I'd agree that it is possible to fix, even without seeing the damage.
You just need to find someone capable of doing such work. I thought my
door was impossible to fix-even DMCH told me they couldn't do it-but
you should see what it looks like now, doesn't even look as if there
was any dent-just a few scratches I still have to take care of. I
fixed this dent myself after numerous hours of work and lots of
motivation-see webpage http://damngoodsite.net/5003damage.html  at the
bottom. aside from the few fixable scratchs-looks like nothing
happened. I know the feeling-but don't be discouraged! -----Dani B.
#5003


--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Benson" <delornut_at_dml_p...> wrote:
> 
> It's possible, depending on the extent of the damage, to cut out a
section
> of the fiberglass under the hood to access the damaged area of
stainless. If
> the section is cut carefully with a dremel tool or die grinder
using a
> cutoff wheel the removed section can be glassed back in place and
painted
> after the stainless has been repaired. .
> 
> Bruce Benson
> 
> 
> > I'm assuming that what I've read before still stands as true(?):
> > That the black structural support attached to the underside of the
> > hood is forever fused to the stainless, and that any dents that
> > occur opposite the black support are impossible to fix.  Correct
me
> > if that's wrong.  Naturally, 95% of what happened last night is
> > along the edges, opposite the black support beams.
> >
> > Thanks a lot,
> > -Derek L
> > VIN 5302








________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 14
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 21:46:47 -0500
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: DeLorean requested for State Fram Founder's Day celebrations


State Farm will not accept ANY DeLorean on a policy if you are not insured with them currently, Collector or Daily driver. I had three daily drivers and two collector cars along with my house to insured for a week with them when moving to Florida and the DeLorean was dropped even after my agent had accepted it. I went all the way to Bloomington with this with no success so they lost all my business. 

State Farm is not a DeLorean friendly company!


Cecil Longwisch
#10663





  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Phil Priestley<mailto:phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com> 
  To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com<mailto:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com> 
  Sent: Saturday, January 22, 2005 2:34 PM
  Subject: Re: [DML] DeLorean requested for State Fram Founder's Day celebrations




  I live in Salem and my car#2105 will be on display at State Farm.
    My Delorean is insured through Haggarty but my Benz that is my daily 
  driver is insured through State Farm. My SF agent keeps trying to get 
  me to insure the D through them on a collectors policy that is 
  equivalent to my Haggarty policy so my thought is that they are not 
  accepting new policies for D's that are daily drivers.

  Phil Priestley
  Alessandros Restaurant
  http://alessandros120.com/<http://alessandros120.com/>
  (503)370-9951
  1(866)225-7985

  On Jan 21, 2005, at 5:15 PM, Cecil Longwisch wrote:

  >
  >
  > How ironic is this when they will not accept any new customers who own 
  > DeLoreans!!!!!!!!!!
  >
  >   Hi Folks,
  >
  >   I received a call from State Farm that they are seeking a DeLorean
  >   to be part of an exhibit and celebration for a couple corporate
  >   events they are putting on. This is part of their Founder's Day
  >   Celebration that they are organizing.
  >
  >   They have two events they are seeking a DeLorean for:
  >
  >   June 7th 11am-2pm in Salem Oregon. About 500 people expected
  >


  [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]






  To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address:
  moderators_at_dml_dmcnews.com<mailto:moderators_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

  For more info on the list, tech articles, cars for sale see www.dmcnews.com<http://www.dmcnews.com/>

  To search the archives or view files, log in at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews> 
  Yahoo! Groups Links



   





[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]






________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 15
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 03:12:39 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: DeLorean Hood Needed



This winter is really kicking us Southern owners hard, eh? (I'm the
fellow you lost a tree limb into the quarter panel during a Christmas
ice storm. Car was parked 25 feet from the tree -- limb cartwheeled
into it).

I made the same discovery so many others already have: Contact Josh
Haldeman (jhaldeman(at)fuse.net). Even if you get your original
repaired -- rumor has it Rob Grady's body man is coming to visit New
York -- Josh may be able to provide a substitute to keep the car in
service in the interim.

BTW: Who's insurance is paying for the damage?

Bill Robertson
#5939

>--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "lakelanier20" <derek4567_at_dml_h...> wrote:
> 
> 
> Hi everyone,
>      Well, this is a sad post for me, but last night the "wind 
> storm" we had here in Atlanta knocked over a basketball hoop in my 
> friend's driveway which landed right on my hood.  Murphy's law at 
> it's best, as that basketball hoop has been standing there for over 
> a decade and has never fallen over.  So all I had to do was park a 
> DeLorean in front of it, and bingo.  I had a nice, late '81 hood 
> with grooves and no gas flap, no dents and minimal x-mark.  I would 
> really like to find the same thing to replace it with, and only want 
> to get a "flat" hood from Houston as a last resort.  If anyone has 
> an accent line, no gas-flap hood they are willing to sell, I would 
> be eternally grateful.  Please drop me a line.
> 
> I'm assuming that what I've read before still stands as true(?):  
> That the black structural support attached to the underside of the 
> hood is forever fused to the stainless, and that any dents that 
> occur opposite the black support are impossible to fix.  Correct me 
> if that's wrong.  Naturally, 95% of what happened last night is 
> along the edges, opposite the black support beams.
> 
> Thanks a lot,
> -Derek L
> VIN 5302








________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 16
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 22:35:41 -0600
From: "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Re: DeLorean requested for State Fram Founder's Day celebrations



Just for the record, my policy has no driving/mileage restrictions, an 
agreed value, *and* it's with State Farm!  I did add the car to my existing 
policy, and rates are very reasonable.  Not bad for a young guy with 9 
speeding tickets.  Gotta love Illinois!

Jake Kamphoefner in 1063
"Allegedly" caught speeding a few times  :-)


----- Original Message ----- 
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 22, 2005 6:24 PM
Subject: [DML] Re: DeLorean requested for State Fram Founder's Day 
celebrations


<snip>
> I do not know of any insurers that will let you set an
> "agreed value" on a daily driver. All of the "collector" insurers set
> mileage limits AND age limits on the drivers. 






________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 17
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 22:23:45 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: 3 post idle microswitch


Group,
I do take calls 7 days a week. If I'm not at home or in the shop then leave
a message and I will call back. If you don't leave a message then I don't
call back. I did send an personal email shortly after I saw the post. I also
wondered why I didn't get a call.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com





-----Original Message-----
From: wayofcain [mailto:wayofcain_at_dml_yahoo.com]
Sent: Sunday, January 23, 2005 6:52 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [DML] 3 post idle microswitch





--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Soma576_at_dml_a... wrote:
> How about calling John Hervey when you have questions with his
products?  I am sure he takes calls on Sundays.

To answer your question. I spent all day Saturday (my only free day
to work on the car until next month) attempting to contact him and
soliciting advice from others, who may have known, before posting.
John was unavailable and other Delorean owner friends did not know
the answer.

I am sure John would have returned my calls as soon as he was
available, however, being in a time crunch, I turned to the wisdom of
the list. The question was asinine in the way it was worded.


> Or use a multimeter with your old microswitch to find out how it
functions.

The old switch is defective. It no longer functions in a way that
will provide me with any information.

> I have one of his switches too but my car is in storage or else I'd
tell you how I wired it.

Thanks anyway.

Cain Grimes
002835

PS. I want to publicly thank John Hervey who did later contact me,
and David Teitelbaum who responded with an informative and reasonable
response.








To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address:
moderators_at_dml_dmcnews.com

For more info on the list, tech articles, cars for sale see www.dmcnews.com

To search the archives or view files, log in at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews
Yahoo! Groups Links













________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 18
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 22:37:26 -0600
From: "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Tony Swan



Sorry to use the list for this, but if Tony Swan reads this message, please 
email me privately at:

jakekamp(at)sbcglobal.net

Thanks,
Jake Kamphoefner
1063






________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 19
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 04:40:47 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: 3 post idle microswitch



What I meant was that he shouldn't worry about where to connect the
wires. As long as he used the common terminal for one of the wires he
will figure out which other terminal to use. Obviously it has to be
either the NO or the NC terminal (I wasn't going to make it so easy
for him). If he took 5 minutes with a multi-meter he wouldn't have had
to post the question in the first place. Sometimes giving the direct
answer is not the "best" answer. Anyone working on a car (including
Deloreans) ought to get to know a multi-meter and how to use it. Then
maybe he might be able to tell if the old switch was really bad before
he ordered another one. You are correct that it is a simple single
pole double throw switch electrically and it should be wired to the NO
terminal and the common. In any case he should check the old one and
after installing the new one it too should be checked. Sometimes even
when a micro clicks and you think it tripped inside it may be bad and
not make contact. The only way to know is with a multi-meter. One of
the causes of a bad micro is hitting the switch too hard with an
out-of-adjustment screw. It should just trip the switch and then maybe
a 1/4 turn more. Another cause is tightening the hold-down screws that
fasten the switch to the bracket too tightly. This type of micro is
rated for cycling in the millions, they generally last a long time if
installed properly ( they do fail though but not frequently).
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757


--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_d...> wrote:
> 
> David Teitelbaum wrote:
> 
> >However you hook it up when it is at idle and the throttle hits the
> >micro switch you should have continuity. Don't get too hung up on NC
> >and NO. 
> >
> ????????? It's a Single-pole, double-throw switch, you have to use the 
> NO and common pins for it to close when the throttle arm hits it. I've 
> worked on an engine with a Volvo type switch and it took a while to 
> track this problem down
> 
> Martin








________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 20
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 05:40:17 -0000
From: "thetandycollector" <thetandycollector_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: ??DeLoreans for rent in Southwest Missouri??


My names bill, i'm a tad new to the group.. was wondering if the 
members could help me find a DeLorean to rent in Southwest Missouri 
(Springfield Metro Area).  I will insure the vehicle to the highest 
extent through Shelter Insurance Co., and pay whatever rent is 
necessary, so long as it is reasonable.  It is needed for a High-
School prom, and I would be glad to come and pick the car up 
anywhere within 250 miles of Aurora, MO. (65605).  If anyone can 
help me they can e-mail me (thetandycollector(at)yahoo.com), or call 
417-229-1433 24hrs a day....Thanks for your time.  ~~Bill~~  PS I 
can also be reached via yahoo messenger every evening, same name as 
my e-mail.








________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 21
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 06:10:01 -0000
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Buying a DeLorean over a long-distance.



 To make a long story short, I bought my car the same way. This car
had been for sale for awhile. It was in CA and Im in NYC. I had the
woman whose father's car it was send me about 50 pics of the car and I
blew them up and scrutinixed everything!! Mechanically I wasnt so
concerned since it had 89 miles on it and it was going to PJ Grady
anyway. I later had the car leased with a dollar buy back from a
private leasing company, after 13 months I paid the balance and did
away with interest fees and also managed to build some credit. I got
pretty damn lucky though, In retrospect I should have flown to CA, but
I was burned out from previous attempts at other cars. The car had a
good history and already had money spent on it so I went for it.
Gather whatever info you can if you havent and go see it. Its always
better that way.  When the car got delivered to PJ Grady and I went to
see it I was pretty sure that I made a mistake...the anxiety was a
killer. Thank God I lucked out for once!!
Good luck
Harry & Vin #2696....Happy in NYC. it better be I built the garage
just for this car!!!








________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 22
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 09:03:17 +0000
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Buying a Delorean over a long distance


I live in Maui so I know about buying (and shipping) long distance.  My 
suggestion is to fly out and see it in person.  You will be able to sleep a 
lot better knowing its exactly as advertised.  I purchased a 1957 Chevy Bel 
Air last year in Vegas.  Cost me $450 to fly out.  When I inspected the car 
we found the rear lights not working.  The seller agreed to knock off $200 
off the price of the car.  So in the end it cost me only $250 to see the car 
in person.  Plus I consider it part of the experience.  How many times are 
you going to buy  a Delorean?  Inspecting it is part of the fun.
Alex
Heres a pic of the chevy
<img src='http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-3/679308/carpics2001.jpg' 
width=640 height=480  >







________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 23
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 05:58:01 -0000
From: "endotex23" <endotex23_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: 3 post idle microswitch



Good Lord, such a fuss over something so simple. Instead of giving out
fish let's try and teach fishing. Apologies to those who already know
this very basic stuff.

As Martin points it's a single pole, double throw switch. All switches
have two parts 1) The electrical portion that does the actual
switching of current and 2) The actuating portion. The two portions
are mechanically interconnected but electrically isolated from each
other. (After all, you don't what electricity on your switch
actuator).

The term single pole refers to the electrical portion. It simply means
the switch is designed to switch only one electrical circuit, or
"pole". The normally open (NO), normally closed (NC) and common (C)
refer to the switch's contact state when the actuating portion is
*not* active. The "throw" part also refers to the electrical portion
of the switch. Pressing the lever results in the internal contact
"throwing" one way and releasing it results in it "throwing" the other
way. It's the same as "throwing" any manual switch (like the light
switches in your house) and in fact is where the term originates from.
The common terminal is just that: a common connection between the two
throws.

The actuating portion can depend on any number of things. It can be
manually actuated or actuated by high or low (vacuum) pressure, flow,
temperature, or any number of other physical properties. In this case
it's a manually acutated lever switch. Depressing the lever cause the
electrical portion of the switch to change state from what it was when
"normal". This the key to understanding it. So what's considered
normal?

Take any switch out of the box and put it on the table in front of
you. In this state there is no actuating force. Thus there will be no
continuity (no contact closure) between the Common and Normally
Open terminals. Why? Because that part of the switch is in it's
"normal" state. After all, the switch can't get much more "normal"
than sitting on the table staring back at you. Using the same line of
thought there will obviously be continuity bewteen the Common and
Normally Closed terminals because that part of the switch is
"normally" closed.

It's only when you actuate the switch using whatever force variable it
needs (in this case by depressing the lever) does the switch change
state. Now there will be continuity bewteen C and NO because the
switch is no longer in the "normal" state. Before you pressed the
lever the path between C and NO was open, now it's closed because all
normalcy is gone.

Think of the pushbutton on your doorbell, a perfect example of a
NO switch. It doesn't have a second NC contact in it so it's only
"single pole, single throw". Pushing the doorbell button gets you a
closure between the C and NO terminals. It has a single throw, it's
all you get. Yes, when releasing it you get a second throw but since
the switch has no "guts" for NC operation it's considered single
throw. The term "throw" only applies to an action that causes a
contact closure.

There is no need to label such a switch C, NO, or anything else
because it's designed to perform only one function, the NO function.
You only have two terminals so no labeling is needed. No mystery
there, one must be common and the other must be NO. (Since such
switches also come in normally closed it's up to you to be sure when
buying the switch it's a normally open one for doorbell use).

In this case the idle switch we're talking about needs to be wired
just like your doorbell. You want the switch to close and complete the
circuit when the throttle screw pushes on the lever at idle. The
throttle screw is your finger on the doorbell. Thus you want a
Normally Open function because when the throttle screw *isn't* pushing
on the switch lever it's the same as when the switch was on the table.
Your Otterstat is the same way, it's open until a certain temperature
(it's actuating "force") closes it. Same with your WOT and Lambda
Thermal Switch, further examples of NO switches. In the box, on the
table, or when cold or *not* at WOT they're all open. Think about what
is "normal" with no actuating "force" applied. Simple huh? Now you
know.

A look at the car's schematic confirms this, it shows you want the
switch to be closed at idle so it can supply power to the idle ECU. 
By opening when you step on the gas it kills the ECU. (The switch also
serves another function but it's not important to this discussion).

Remember, switches and relays are always drawn in their "normal" state
on schematics. This is true for switching devices on any schematic.
It's up to you to remember what is "normal" when they're installed or
if other forces are affecting them at any given time. For example, you
could wire a switch normally closed and then hold it open. Such a
switch in a doorbell would require you to release it to ring the bell.
The point is switches are always drawn in their normal state. (So are
the contacts of relays. They're always drawn in the state they'll be
in when no power is on the coil, it's what's "normal" for them).

Confused? Two minutes playing with a ohmmeter and the switch will tell
you everything you want to know about how such switches work. Adding
poles doesn't change this. Add more poles and a coil to supply the
actuating force and you have a relay. In fact, if you examine the
internal contact arrangement of a relay and forget about the coil
you'll see pretty much what's inside your idle switch. Often called a
microswitch (in reality a brand name), it's correctly called a
snap-action switch. The click you hear when actuating one is the snap
action mechanism in operation. I suggest you carefully crush your old
switch in a vise and inspect it's internals. (Keep in mind that
whenever you toss something in the trash without an autopsy you may be
losing a valuable opportunity to learn something).

There is much more to know about the application, testing, repairing,
and cleaning of snap-action switches (even when they're sealed) but
I'll leave that for another day. Just remember Common is the
terminal that affects all other terminals in that "pole" and
"normally" means just that: the state of the switch when at rest in
the box, on your workbench, or anytime other time actuating force is
not applied.

And you thought something so simple couldn't possibly consume so many
words to describe. Maybe so, I've been told if you ask me what time
it is I'll tell you how to build a clock. If you think this is long be
thankful I'm not explaining how to set up or troubleshoot idle
problems. But don't ask, it would take too long and if you didn't know
how to wire the switch I suspect anything more technical would be too
much, too soon. You have to learn how to bait the hook before you can
fish.

Greg








________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 24
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 11:13:13 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: RE: Re: 3 post idle microswitch


I would like to back up David on this subject. As another example, in most
instances the idle speed micro switch will click even thought the internal
contacts or damaged. In some cases a fuse may look OK but actually be bad. I
could give many more examples but the point is the same. The engine has many
test tools, anything from cooling system pressure testers, to timing lights,
to fuel system test kits. The electrical system only requires one test item;
it is easy to use, inexpensive and available everywhere. Repeating David's
words:

<"Anyone working on a car (including DeLorean's) ought to get to know a
multi-meter and how to use it.">

DMC Joe
 

-----Original Message-----
From: David Teitelbaum [mailto:jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net] 
Sent: Sunday, January 23, 2005 11:41 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Re: 3 post idle microswitch




What I meant was that he shouldn't worry about where to connect the wires.
As long as he used the common terminal for one of the wires he will figure
out which other terminal to use. Obviously it has to be either the NO or the
NC terminal (I wasn't going to make it so easy for him). If he took 5
minutes with a multi-meter he wouldn't have had to post the question in the
first place. Sometimes giving the direct answer is not the "best" answer.
Anyone working on a car (including
Deloreans) ought to get to know a multi-meter and how to use it. Then maybe
he might be able to tell if the old switch was really bad before he ordered
another one. You are correct that it is a simple single pole double throw
switch electrically and it should be wired to the NO terminal and the
common. In any case he should check the old one and after installing the new
one it too should be checked. Sometimes even when a micro clicks and you
think it tripped inside it may be bad and not make contact. The only way to
know is with a multi-meter. One of the causes of a bad micro is hitting the
switch too hard with an out-of-adjustment screw. It should just trip the
switch and then maybe a 1/4 turn more. Another cause is tightening the
hold-down screws that fasten the switch to the bracket too tightly. This
type of micro is rated for cycling in the millions, they generally last a
long time if installed properly ( they do fail though but not frequently).
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757








________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 25
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 19:02:54 -0000
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: The Prodigal DeLorean driver



Hi all, haven't posted in a while. I've been having my life run amok 
in so many words by work, college etc. I recently had my DMC worked 
on with a moderate/major tune up. They completely rebuilt my rack and 
pinion, pounded out those two frozen spark plugs, put new weather 
seals on the gullwings, replaced some mega-shorted wiring in the 
console (which screwed up my lights and melted some of the harness!), 
as well as standard tune up stuff. The irony? The Murphy's Law? I 
drove it all of 40 miles back home from near Detroit, parked it in my 
driveway, and the next morning found my gas pedal stuck completely to 
the floor! Strangely enough, the engine does not rev high when idling 
so I don't believe it's the throttle linkage. But for some reason the 
spring on my accel. pedal isn't doing it's job. It's like someone put 
super glue under my footpedal at night. Oh yeah, and now my battery 
died! Gosh I tell ya, winter sucks. :P Well I'll get her working 
sooner or later; I hope you're all having better luck than I. I'm 
still living the dream, just getting poorer because of it. But it's 
worth it. I'm starting to feel like Captain Kirk: all I have is my 
car. And work. And maybe my dog. So how is everyone else? lol
---John
PS: It took Michigan forever but they finally transferred my Cali. 
title! "Groovy."








________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address:
moderators_at_dml_dmcnews.com

For more info on the list, tech articles, cars for sale see www.dmcnews.com

To search the archives or view files, log in at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    dmcnews-unsubscribe_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 
------------------------------------------------------------------------