From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2447
Date: Tuesday, January 25, 2005 9:01 PM

1. RE: HID Lights
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

2. Re: DeLorean requested for State Fram Founder's Day celebrations
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Renault a610
From: Craig fleishauer <flyswater0_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. RE: Re: ERRATIC AUTO TRANS
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

5. Re: Proto 1 Looking for flap sander
From: "M. P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>

6. Door Adjustment
From: AdamRayVaughn_at_dml_aol.com

7. RE: Bleeding Cooling System
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

8. Re: HID Lights
From: "turbodelorean" <dmcfan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

9. Re: DMCH performane engine
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

10. Re: another site that explains HID vs. halogen
From: "turbodelorean" <dmcfan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

11. Re: ERRATIC AUTO TRANS
From: "gzapf" <x86Daddy_at_dml_myrealbox.com>

12. Re: Bleeding Cooling System
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

13. Re: DeLorean requested for State Fram Founder's Day celebrations
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Re: Upgrading the ignition system?
From: "Louie" <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

15. Re: ERRATIC AUTO TRANS
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

16. RE: Re: ERRATIC AUTO TRANS
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

17. Re: Re: 3 post idle microswitch
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 02:13:12 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: HID Lights

I wouold have to say that the old school headlights look pretty lame, like a
jar full of piss.
I installed DMCH's lights and they look nice.
If I were to invest any money into the lights, I would want them to be
altogether
different, like a single peice that fits in like a modern car.
I mean, if you going to go none stock might as well do it right.
- VB

Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 04:39:58 -0800 (PST)
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: DeLorean requested for State Fram Founder's Day celebrations

For those of you that are old enough try The Hartford through AARP. I have mine insured through them with no restrictions. VERY reasonable rates. I do have all my insurance through them.

Cecil Longwisch <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com> wrote:

State Farm will not accept ANY DeLorean on a policy if you are not insured with them currently, Collector or Daily driver. I

Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 07:59:05 -0800 (PST)
From: Craig fleishauer <flyswater0_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Renault a610

I was Looking at a Delorean web site in the UK. They
said that the engine from a renault a610 twin turbo
bolts right in our car. Has anyone tried this yet in
the US? How difficult is it to obtain one of these engines?

Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 11:57:30 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: ERRATIC AUTO TRANS

David, I have seen your instructions on how to build this "light box" in the
past,
I don't understand what this is about.
You can easily tell what your transmission is doing since there is only 3
gears.
I can tell what gear I am in, does the light box tell you something else
besides
what gear you are in?
I think I am having trouble understanding what it is for.
What I think you be useful is a manual override where you can push a button
and choose your gear and override the computer... now that would be useful!
- VB

Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 18:42:43 -0000
From: "M. P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>
Subject: Re: Proto 1 Looking for flap sander

Tony,
     I have one.  I'm not up for selling it, but I'd like to help you
out for the restoration of Proto 1.  This is an important piece of
DeLorean history and since you are going to do it right I would like
to be able to have a hand in that, however small that may be....:)  I
also have a source for the Vonnegut (flap) wheels and sandpaper.  I've
been in contact with the original supplier and they have a good stock
of them.  I've negotiated a deal of $250 for the wheel and $20 for
each load of sandpaper.  This is only the head of the tool and not the
air tool itself, but any drill or air tool that can handle the 3/8"
shaft and can limit RPMs to 1000 or under is able to function in place
of the ARO air tool.  If anyone is interested, please contact me
offline for details.

Let me know,

Matthew
AZ-D VeeP
VIN 16816

Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 04:16:17 EST
From: AdamRayVaughn_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Door Adjustment

Suddenly my doors have been having trouble closing completely..This is, as
you all know, extremely annoying!  My question is this:  Obviously  this is a
very hard thing to work on by yourself, but can anyone give me a  relatively
good explanation on how to do it?  Or maybe point me in the  direction of a good
and trustable mechanic around Philadelphia-Bucks County  that may be able to
help me?  I have been doing a lot of in depth cooling  fan and engine work  on
my car recently and this is the only real  outstanding problem that needs
fixed at the moment..and it's driving me  crazy!!  Thank you all for any help you
can give!

               Adam Honeycutt

Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 13:43:52 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: RE: Bleeding Cooling System

Steve,

Manually bleeding air out of the cooling system is not a straight forward
procedure. I would strongly suggest that you install an item I invented
specifically for the DeLorean cooling system many years ago. The item was
originally marketed as the "Overheat Protector". I am no longer in the
business but you can purchase a similar item now called the "Self-Bleeder
Kit" available at
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/cooling-system.html .

The advantage with this device is that it can drastically reduce the
occurrence of an overheat condition due to trapped air in the coolant lines
and eliminates the need to air bleed the cooling system for the life of the
car.

DMC Joe

Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 18:45:07 -0000
From: "turbodelorean" <dmcfan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

If you get behind the wheel of an HID lighted car you will see that
the brightness of an HID kit is amazing.

Peter Kuchan

Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 15:26:00 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: DMCH performane engine

Go buy the Lambo if you want a race car because the DMCH engine still
wont be as fast as a Lambo.

Mark V

Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 22:39:43 -0000
From: "turbodelorean" <dmcfan_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: another site that explains HID vs. halogen

This site is directly from Sylvania. This clearly shows that HID
lighting produces less heat than any other headlight system out. Any
other questions or comments please reply

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/Products/H
ID/

Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 23:25:36 -0000
From: "gzapf" <x86Daddy_at_dml_myrealbox.com>
Subject: Re: ERRATIC AUTO TRANS

I built one when troubleshooting mine last year.  It tells you what
the GC is instructing the transmission to do.  This tells you if the
GC is flaking, or the mechanicals inside the transmission are flaking.
 Then you can take whichever steps are appropriate to remedy the
situation.

I don't know about a semi-manual switch like that, but last year there
were several parties working on a new auto trans governor computer...
haven't heard anything new from them though.  :-(

--Greg

Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 23:44:38 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

Steve - An important step in properly bleeding the cooling system is
to remove all trapped air from the radiator.  This must be done as a
separate step to bleeding the air from the engine area.  Many people
who have done this procedure using the methods spelled out in the
manual have "enjoyed" a face full of coolant and a mess to clean up.
The system that DeLorean Parts Northwest has available incorporates a
unique assembly that makes bleeding the air from the radiator quick
and neat.  Just another excellent option to consider.

Toby Peterson VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 15:48:44 -0800 (PST)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

In fact, The AARP insurance program is one of the few
advantages of getting older.

I, too, have this coverage and not only is the rate
very competitive, but the policy becomes
non-cancellable after 90 0r 180 days (I've had mine
since 1995 so I now forget which applies).  Moroever,
I had my one claim with the DeLorean less than 30 days
after getting the policy (car was vandalized on a
trip) and the claim was settled promptly, courteously
and without a question.

Look into it if you can qualify.

Dick Ryan
VIN 16867

Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 23:55:31 -0000
From: "Louie" <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: Upgrading the ignition system?

I've got Hervey's 8mm silicon spark plug wires, Bosch Platinum +4
plugs, a new cap, rotor, and Blaster coil on my car. They've been on
the car a couple months now and I'm glad I upgraded. While you won't
see any jumps in HP, you will notice the car will revv much freer
and faster. My car will peg the redline (and beyond) while driving
now, where it wouldn't before. It's not a bad investment to upgrade
these 24 year old parts. And while you've got your engine apart to
do these things, make sure and replace all the o-rings, internal
coolant hoses, and the like while you're under the intake manifold.
I went ahead and replaced all my vacuum components while I was under
there as well. To do all of the above will run you roughly $500 in
parts, but it's a worthwhile investment for your car's health.

Louie Golden
VIN 5252 Charlotte, NC

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_y...>
wrote:

Hello all,
I was wondering what anyone's opinion is on those Hy-fire ignition
system upgrades? Would that improve gas mileage/engine efficiency
any? I recently got some spark plug wires from John Hervey's site;
the 8mm custom ones and they are pretty good. What are your thoughts?
PS: My dad said there was no coil involved with that. Is that true??
How could you start the car without a coil? That may be a stupid
question but I worked a lot this week with minimal sleep so bear
with me. I think I see two monitors right now.

Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 01:01:03 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

>From the lights you can tell what gear the shift computer is
commanding the transmission to be in. The neat thing about it is you
can actually see it change gears BEFORE the transmission can even
shift! You know immediatly if you are starting out in 1st or 2nd and
there is no guessing at what speed you are shifting at. Now if someone
wanted to get really fancy, from the logic they could power a display
so it would show the gear #, not just 2 lights. It is easy to add a
switch and override the shift computer to shift manually but I do not
think it is a good idea. There is no govenor to prevent you from
commanding shifts at the wrong speeds so you can do damage with
improper shifting. The shift computer handles all the shifting so
without it you have no safeties. BTW if you can't for instance get
into 1st gear you really won't know why until you use the light box.
If, for instance, the light box is telling you the shift computer is
commanding for 1st and you are not in it then you would asssume the
shift computer is OK and the problem is with the wiring, a solenoid,
or perhaps the valve body. (This is JUST an example for the usefulness
of such a tester). If your car is shifting fine then you are correct,
there really is no need for the light box.

Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 20:43:39 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

Videobob,

Actually your question concerning a manual override is relatively simple to
wire up and has been done on several occasions. Gear changes are
accomplished by switching two solenoids inside the auto trans on and off.
Somewhere in my library I have instructions and a diagram to accomplish this
modification. If your interested in a copy let me know and I'll conduct a
search it send it to you.

DMC Joe

Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 21:00:28 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Re: 3 post idle microswitch

endotex23 wrote:

>Martin, the ECU sets the motor to a default duty value when that input
>is brought low. It's the same default value as when the tach input is
>lost. One of the ways (there are several but the manual only gives one
>as I recall) to test the idle speed loop is to disconnect the switch
>when the throttle plates are fully closed and observe a rise in RPM as
>Elvis points out.

Hmmm - I always assumed this was down to the ignition advance - I'll
have to have a play. We have a factory right-hander in at the moment
which has a Renault engine in it, and has no idlespeed or lambda system,
just the auxiliary air valve. All the electronics are there though