From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2449
Date: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 7:33 PM

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

From: "Carl Davis" <carldavis_at_dml_familykia.com>

From: "Carl Davis" <carldavis_at_dml_familykia.com>

From: "Carl Davis" <carldavis_at_dml_familykia.com>

From: "Jason Sisto" <wizard_at_dml_tdgllc.com>

12. Re: DMCH Addresses SonnyV
From: "p12c16" <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

13. Re: DMC (Texas) Addresses SonnyV
From: "bbbigray" <bbbigray_at_dml_comcast.net>

14. Re: DMC (Texas) Addresses SonnyV
From: "Dan Saulnier" <dps_at_dml_seacon.com>

15. Hella's opinion's on Xenon/HID
From: "turbodelorean" <dmcfan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

16. Re: Re: another site that explains HID vs. halogen
From: Nathan Robinson <nathanrobinson_at_dml_gmail.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 18:54:37 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: TURN SIGNALS

Start with the simple stuff like fuses, bulbs and flasher. Try the
4-ways. If it blinks check if any bulbs are burnt out. On a 20 year
old car you have to also worry about rusted out bulb holders, bad
connections, etc. This is another case where a mult-meter (even a
cheap one) would be a big help. It could be as simple as the plug for
the turn signals came loose under the dash. When inspecting plugs make
sure all of the connectors are pushed all the way in, sometimes one
may back out as the plug is connected so you think all of the
connectors are making contact when they are not.

Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 19:03:35 -0000
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Hi Carl,
Unfortunately in my case, I found that I had melted wiring in the
back as well as the harness. Turns out it was a crossed/shorted
connection in my interior console! My dad was able to temporarily
help me get my turn signals/brake lights working by taping up the
old wires with elec. tape, but then I went ahead and had them fix
the majority of the wiring.
--John

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Carl Davis" <carldavis_at_dml_f...> wrote:

> Hello, I know this might be a vauge question, but I just purchased
> Delorean and all electric items seem to work, except turnisgnals,
I was
> wondering if someone had a few leads i should check first. Thanks--
---

Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 12:55:09 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

Carl,

Because the turn signal circuit is routed through your emergency flasher
circuit, my first question to you is; do the flashers work?

Dmc Joe

Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 19:06:17 -0000
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: ERRATIC AUTO TRANS

I actually had a very similar problem with my OTHER (crap) car, a 90
Dodge Spirit. My auto trans would run at 2-3 gear for a while on the
freeway instead of going into overdrive like it was supposed to.
Then after it warmed up, it would shift into 4th. I ended up having
to get a completely rebuilt transmission installed into it.
Expensive. Bummer. Luckily, my DMC-12 is a manual.
-John

Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 14:06:54 -0500
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

This relates to a different question that Carl Davis asked us about his
frame via direct E-mail on Monday. My answer bounced back and I have no
other contact information. If you still would like an answer please call
(800)350-7429 or provide us a phone number so we can discuss your problem.
Please note I'll be out of town from Thursday until Tuesday. Sorry to
digress from your question but I wanted you to know we tried to contact you.
BTW check your T/S flasher and hazard light switch first.

Thank you,

Rob Grady

Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 19:06:12 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Brakes

You might also have a lot of free-play in the pedal linkage like a
worn pin or bushings. The master cylinder or the booster could even be
loose! If you suspect a problem with the brakes the least you should
do is a through visual inspection. What is the color of the brake
fluid? If it is dark and has not been changed recently the whole
system should be flushed out with new and bled. Check the pads front
and rear. Check the emergency brake.  Drive the car, it should not
pull and it should stop smoothly. A small amount of free-play is
acceptable, a 1/2 inch seems like a lot. I don't recall a spec for it.
BTW a low pedal is an indication that one of the systems (front or
rear) is not working. On the Delorean there is NO proportioning valve
or safety switch to light up and warn you. The brake light ONLY lights
up to warn of low brake fluid or the emergency brake is not completly
released. It is also possible the rod on the booster is not set right
(not likely but possible).

Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 19:36:46 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re:Moderator Edits

Since I did it I can answer - we often edit posts, but only for two
reasons....
--99% of the edits are to trim prior quotes. Since we have not been
effective at getting people to do it, we do it.
--1% (like this one) is where we are asked to change something before
it goes thru. In this case it was to add a formal sig line that he
forgot.

BTW - we do not edit original content unless asked to.

Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 14:43:40 -0500
From: "Carl Davis" <carldavis_at_dml_familykia.com>

I was wondering if they might be related, I press the hazard switch but only
one side on the instrument cluster flashes.

Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 14:41:05 -0500
From: "Carl Davis" <carldavis_at_dml_familykia.com>
Subject: Re: Re: TURN SIGNALS

Thanks to everyone who gave info.  Carl
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 14:44:57 -0500
From: "Carl Davis" <carldavis_at_dml_familykia.com>

Hello , thanks for the reply, my brakes , and all othe rlighting seems to
work, except as note I have found only one flasher working ehrn I press the
hazard switch in. appreciate all the help

Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 15:10:49 -0500
From: "Jason Sisto" <wizard_at_dml_tdgllc.com>
Subject: Wanted / Trade??

Dear Group Members:

First off...

Please do not waste the moderator's time, efforts & resources by posting a response to the List, just contact me directly.  This list & the people on it are GREAT resources for the DeLorean community and I do not want to see it overburdened or misused.  Thanks!

Looking to trade a 1987 Porsche 944 for a DeLorean (any condition or rolling chassis and/or DeLorean parts).  If I sell the car outright, the money goes into the family account and I must justify a "need" for any money I spend out of the family account on DeLorean related items.  This way, I can get around the system.

I live in New England and if anyone is interested, please e-mail me for more details.

Thanks,

Jason
wizard_at_dml_tdgllc.com

P.S. - THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN APPROVED AND ENDORSED BY MY WIFE!!

P.S.S. - Just kidding about the Wife.  She is actually VERY, VERY supportive of my hobbies and loves DeLoreans herself (that is one reason why we are selling to Porsche).  It is just easier to trade, especially if it works for all parties.

Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 20:13:40 -0000
From: "p12c16" <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: DMCH Addresses SonnyV

I think I share the opinion of many that this thread needs to be
dropped.  We have all
heard this as much as we want to, and I feel only a few people
actually cared in the first
place.  I have always supported DMCH, and will continue to do so.
They have always been
honest and straightforward with me as a customer, and were quick
to solve the one
problem I had in an order (I got one less Oil Filter than I ordered).
 James Epsey is the
same way, and is always prompt in returning emails that I have sent
him regarding
questions about certain DMCH products I am looking into buying.  Stephen appologized
for the
whole SonnyV
issue, which is what the few who were so upset were asking for.  Lets
consider it over and
done with.  We are all adults here, let bygones be bygones.   We are
all entitled to our own
opinions about each other, but lets not publicly use this list to
bash one another.

Please direct all hate mail about my post to me direcly, and not
clutter up this great
resource for DeLorean owners.
Patrick C.

Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 22:01:37 -0000
From: "bbbigray" <bbbigray_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: DMC (Texas) Addresses SonnyV

Hi Steve.

Thank you for being frank.   The market and the marquee are far
healthier for it.   Personally, I never took a wingman into a fight
if I couldn't count on him.

This community, like many others, has too many divisive factions
already, and I'm pleased your voice is part of the constructive
discourse.   Your continued openness on this subject will be a
tremendous unifying influence in this group, and set an exceedingly
valuable example of intelligent dissension.  (Some folks will still
want to argue this with you, and may lob a few valid shots.  We all
goof.  It's how you recover that defines you.)  It will become part
of what sets this forum above and apart from the rest.

I look forward to seeing you on the list, and one of these days, to
working with you in some way.  (Beyond headlight switches.)  I've not
had the opportunity to do significant business with you since 10693
came out of resto.  (DeLorean Motor Center.)

I've known Don Steger for over twenty years. (Ditto Rob Grady) I
don't think you guys were even in biz when the D went on blocks many
years ago, so I never got to know you (vital) prior to my project.  I
will, however, enjoy getting to know you now that the car is back on
the road.

Once again, I commend your continued honesty.

Happy knuckle-bustin', everybody!

--Ray
10693 and Counting

Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 16:55:20 -0500
From: "Dan Saulnier" <dps_at_dml_seacon.com>

It took two months for DMCH to put this ridiculous response together?

I'm currently in grad school for business administration, and have been
watching with interest to see how DMCH would respond to the storm of
emails that were flying around the past couple of months.  I was
originally shocked to think an established business would stoop to such
tactics, and expected an immediate apology (or an explanation, if there
was one).  But the response we just got doesn't seem very believable to
me.  Maybe if they'd spent a third month working on it...?

At this point, though, I think the only thing I'd believe would be a
full disclosure of wrongdoing and apology.  The stuff about "a profile
of a typical DMC customer" and "no particular company or it's products
would be singled out for criticism" is especially hard to swallow,
especially in light of Marc's list of topics from the SonnyV posts.

Anyway, I think Marc Levy deserves a lot of praise for figuring this
stuff out (and continuing to push it to resolution), because there's no
indication that DMCH ever would have come clean about it on their own.
Nice work, Marc!  Have you considered a career in investigative
journalism?

Dan.
Watertown, MA
VIN 5804

This electronic mail message and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom addressed.  You acknowledge that by opening the electronic documents attached hereto that you agree with the terms of the disclaimer / waiver, the statement of ownership, and other matter as documented on S E A Consultants' WEB site at http://www.seacon.com/disclaimer.htm

Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 18:53:55 -0000
From: "turbodelorean" <dmcfan_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Hella's opinion's on Xenon/HID

I have provided proof from Sylvania about how HID is a lot better
than Halogen and still there are disbelivers. Here is a link to
Hella's company site. Check out the Xenon section. If there are any
other people who still think a Halogen lamp can be better than an
HID/Xenon after you read Sylvania AND Hella description then please
state why. Any of those disbelivers should call any headlight
manufacturer and have them explain the differences and the advantages
over Halogen to you. Obviously there are people that are 100% not
interested in this kit and there are some who contacted me saying
they like it and understand the whole set up. You have the option to
buy or not buy the kit. The next time I will post will be when the
kit is available and what vendor you can buy them through. I thank
anyone who made VALID points toward the discusion of this product.
For the one that just wanted to make a fuss over this product I still
urge you to read up on what HID/Xenon lighting really is and does for
the vehicle and driver. Here is Hella's link. Thank you.

Peter Kuchan

http://www.hella.com/produktion/HellaPortal/WebSite/Internet_usa/Produ
ctsServices/Performance_Lighting/Performance_Lighting.jsp

Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 14:40:54 -0600
From: Nathan Robinson <nathanrobinson_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: another site that explains HID vs. halogen

[MODERATOR NOTE - About time to end this thread - it's pretty far off topic and getting redundant. ]

I'm not a warmonger, however for the safety of many car owners out
there, I would say, in response to this, you are incorrect. Please
don't post conceived facts without quoting DOT regulations and
documents.

HID is indeed whiter than halogen, and with fewer current draw, can
produce the same amount of light (lumens/candela) that halogen
(technically, tungsten-halogen) can produce. This does not mean HID is
better. VHS is not better than DVD, but a laser disc is (because there
are no compression artifacts present); as well as LP's will actually
sound better than a CD but if you have terrible speakers or amp then
you won't be able to tell the difference.

As for the articles written by Daniel Stern Lighting, they were
written before companies like Sylvania made HID kits.

HID light consists of shorter wavelength light, hence its "blue"
appearance, whereas tungsten-halogen has a longer wavelength of light,
hence it's "yellow" appearance. Short wavelength light was actually
made illegal (in France I believe) because short wavelengths diffuse
quicker in air particulates, and in bad weather conditions, all you
have is different densities of atmosphere particulates (water/dust)
and short wavelength light will not illuminate the road (because it
diffuses rapidly), and thus it is far more dangerous in those
conditions.

One of the reasons we have HID in our cars?
http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/p67/144650.tif
"I think its great"??? - thats an opinion if I ever saw one.

http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/p62/133369.pdf

The research info on tungsten-halogen vs HID. check out figure 2.
Also, page 9 shows that for the same spectral glare produced (which is
really bad), TH (tungsten-halogen) lamps can produce more light
(lumens/candela) than HID, effectivly meaning that for the same
ammount of glare (which is bad) produced, you have have a brighter
(more intense light source, lumens) with halogen than you can with
HID.

There is a ton of info from the D.O.T  at http://dms.dot.gov/search/
- search 8885 to see everything regarding headlamp documents and such.
I didn't take to time to read all 5116 records, however, there is some
substantial evidence against using HID. Why do we have HID then?

Congressmen think that HID is "cool" apparently, and manufacturers
like to make money on the latest fad.

I would refrain from saying that HID is better than halogen (that is
if you want to continue to debate this). It's just different, and if
you live in a location that has fog, HID lamps are extremely
dangerous. That is not an opinion. It's a fact. (see above document on
issues about spectral glare)

Don't take manufactures word on just about anything. They are ONLY
trying to sell more of whatever you happen to be reading about. (This
is why there is independent testing performed for regulatory purposes)
You can't prove HID is better than halogen, even in photographs,
because camera apertures settings are considerably different that what
an eye can see. Also, the comparisons they conduct? geee. let me
compare a mediocre halogen system with HID. Now there's a fair
evaluation!

This isn't my .02 anymore, it's federal regulations and documentation.
Nathan