From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2450
Date: Thursday, January 27, 2005 6:02 PM

1. Changes to the Millennium Concours
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

2. Re: DMC (Texas) Addresses SonnyV
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

3. Re: eBay Car
From: "istewart88" <istewart88_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. RE: TURN SIGNALS
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

5. SonnyV? There's a bigger issue here!
From: "Rustproof" <Rustproof_at_dml_comcast.net>

6. Re: Re: DMC (Texas) Addresses SonnyV
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Re: DMC (Texas) Addresses SonnyV
From: Aaron Crocco <acrocco_at_dml_gmail.com>

8. RE: Re: DMC (Texas) Addresses SonnyV
From: Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>

9. Re: Damage Under The Console (John R)
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

10. Re: Bleeding Cooling System
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

11. Re: DMCH performane engine
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

12. Re: DMCH Addresses SonnyV
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

13. hazard/headlight switch bulbs
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

14. Re: TURN SIGNALS
From: "Carl Davis" <carldavis_at_dml_familykia.com>

15. Need help
From: "Jennifer Moe" <jennymoe4_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. New Products & New Ideas
From: "jamesrguk" <James_rg_at_dml_hotmail.com>

17. Barret Jackson car auction this weekend on the Speed Channel
From: "sweitzel_2000" <sweitzel_at_dml_lffltd.com>

18. RE: Need help
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

19. DMCH's shifter boot early wear/tear ?
From: "Stephen M. Jones" <smj_at_dml_cirr.com>

20. Re: hazard/headlight switch bulbs
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>

21. Re: hazard/headlight switch bulbs
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. Re: DMCH performane engine (SS frame)
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

23. Re: Need help
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

24. Re: DMCH performane engine
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

25. RE: hazard/headlight switch bulbs
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 12:42:47 -0600
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Changes to the Millennium Concours

DeLorean Motor Company (Texas) is pleased to announce that the Millennium
Concours will now become an industry-sponsored event with the addition of
DeLorean Motor Center of Garden Grove, California and P.J. Grady of West
Sayville, New York as co-sponsors.

In addition to providing an initial operating budget for the Millennium
Concours, the owners of the three sponsors, Rob Grady, Don Steger and
Stephen Wynne will act as members of a Concours Advisory Board. Grady, as an
original DMC dealer, along with Don Steger, an original employee of the
original DMC and Wynne, with a set of engineering drawings and thousands of
pages of factory documentation jointly bring their experience and knowledge
to the Millennium Concours and it's participants.

Management of the events themselves, as well as responsibility for the
Millennium Concours Judging Handbook will rest with a Concours Executive
Committee. The sponsors have asked Knut Grimsrud, Marty Maier and Dave
Swingle to form the first Concours Executive Committee. Grimsrud and Maier
are both long-time DeLorean owners, as well as both being qualified as
Millennium Concours Head Judges. Swingle, another long-time DeLorean owner,
has judged three Millennium events in the past. All three are also active in
the DeLorean community as Moderators of the DeLorean Mailing List.

Regards,

James Espey

------------------------------------
DeLorean Motor Company
Vice President
james_at_dml_delorean.com
15023 Eddie Drive
Humble, Texas 77396 USA
tel: 800/872-3621
tel2:281/441-2537
fax: 281/441-2813
http://www.delorean.com
------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 01:21:40 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: DMC (Texas) Addresses SonnyV

I agree this thread should end soon but there is a much bigger issue
here than just sonnyv. Anyone can make up multiple ID's and say
anything about anything. Look up the meaning of "shill". A while back
Claude made up multiple ID's to make it sound like a bunch of
different people were agreeing with him. Without some kind of
authentication there is no way to know who is posting and what their
motives are. This List was not set up for that. You MUST read posts
and then use your own judgement as to what is truthful and what is
not. Eventually the truth comes out. On a related subject I worry that
the archives can be tampered with. Posts can be deleted. If they can
be deleted they can be modified. Someone with malicous intent can make
anyone look any way they want. Be aware of this when you read and post
to the List. Don't blame the moderators, they are just caught in the
middle. Their main purpose is just to keep things on the subject of
Deloreans and to try to keep us from flamming each other. It wasn't
their fault DMCH tried to manipulate the List. BTW I got a LOT of
private e-mail about this, all of it positive except for 1. I guess
most on the List are afraid to comment publicly about this topic. In
this I give Mark Levy a lot of credit.

Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 23:49:13 -0000
From: "istewart88" <istewart88_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: eBay Car

When I looked at this car about 2 weeks ago, the seller mentioned that he had been able to
shift it into 1st gear with a little effort, indicating a misadjusted shift linkage. Maybe he
replaced or adjusted the part, or else he believes it's not worth mentioning now that it
almost works.

He's also raised the initial price to $8,000 from $5,000. He mentioned at the time that he
wanted to get at least $8k for it, but had forgot to set a reserve. I'm guessing the first
auction fell through. I personally don't feel that the car is worth $8,000, but that choice is
up to the eventual buyer to make.

Ian

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_y...> wrote:

> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
ViewItem&category=31830&item=4522860027&rd=1

Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 20:18:23 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: RE: TURN SIGNALS

Carl,

Your response is the exact reason I asked you the question concerning your
hazard flasher switch. Your problem may be the result of bad contacts inside
the hazard switch but can also be caused by dirty contacts in the plug at
the rear of the switch. Before replacing the switch disconnect the plug and
spray it with electrical contact cleaner. Remove the switch and spray its
interior with the same spray. Be sure that the plug is fully seated when
replacing. If the problem still exists replace the hazard switch.

DMC Joe

Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 21:47:53 -0500
From: "Rustproof" <Rustproof_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: SonnyV? There's a bigger issue here!

I normally would accept Stephen's apology in this regard but I am bothered
by Marc's assertion that DMCH has used the Meta Tags of their competitors on
their website. This is not only unethical, it is in fact, considered illegal
in most places. For those that don't know what these tags are, they are used
to direct search engines such as Lycos or Google to your site. That means
someone that types in "P.J. Grady" into the search engine might find
themselves directed to a DMCH site! It's a little like standing in front of
a competitors store and stealing away his customers as they approach and
walking them over to your place....Not cool at all and if I were Grady, I'd
be pretty pissed! . (You can't be K-mart and put Wal-Mart's name on your
site just to fool the search engines.) If this is true, and it should be
substantiated, then I would say that this "Mea Culpa" from Stephen has lost
all credibility. As for everyone that is sick of this thread, they should
realize that in order to maintain the integrity of this "list" and to assure
the members that there is no underlying ulterior motives to theses posts,
this stuff MUST to be exposed and weeded out.  Otherwise, if left unchecked,
this list will become just another info-mercial in cyberspace. One I would
choose not to participate in. WAKE UP FOLKS! I commend Marc for his efforts
to keep things on the level!
Rustproof
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 08:55:48 -0800 (PST)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: DMC (Texas) Addresses SonnyV

David has expressed something that others have as
well; ie, being afraid to post publicly to this list.
The inference is that a vendor will get even if he is
offended by the post.

I personally think this is total cr--.  With the
exception of ONE vendor, I have never heard of a
documented vendor vendetta against any of the list
members and I have been on the list since the very
early months.  BUT, just for the sake of argument,
lets assume that such could happen.  With EXTREMELY
few exceptions, any part you can get from one vendor
you can get from another.  AND, the prices are almost
idenetical.

While I'd hate to see a flood of vitriolic diatribes
posted here, I just don't buy this "I'm fraid of
retribution" argument.  If you've got something
worthwhile to say - - SAY IT!

Dick Ryan
VIN 16867

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 08:21:58 -0500
From: Aaron Crocco <acrocco_at_dml_gmail.com>

I must say that I too am suprised at the amount of time it took for
DMCH to respond to this issue.  While reading it, I was under the
mindset of 'too little, too late'.  When reading Marc Levy's reply,
which had facts to back it up, I saw even more that this 'apology' was
nothing more than a PR move.  While there may not be any more to
disclose about this situation by DMCH, I feel that no matter what we
hear it would never be enough for everyone.  I don't agree with what
was done by DMCH and how they wrote this apology, but what else should
we all expect out of this?

On a more alarming note, is Marc Levy mentioning that Delorean.com
(the official website of Delorean Texas)  has the names of other
companies in the meta tags of their website, which can affect the
results of a search.  While 'smarter' search engines aren't affected
as much, others are.  A search on Google and Yahoo for PJ Grady does
not bring up DMCH on at least the first two pages.  On Ask Jeeves
(ask.com) DMCH is second only to pjgrady.com.

Recent lawsuits and court decisions have shown that it is illegal and
copyright / trademark infringment to use another company's name in web
advertising involving keywords.  The fact that PJ Grady and also
Delorean Moter Center (also appearing in their website code) were
explicitly put into DMCH's website, is a clear violation of trademark
protection and they can be held liable.

Without divulging details, DMCH seemed to act swiftly regarding
another form of copyright infringment on this list / a member of this
list, yet are commiting a violation themselves.  Delorean Texas does
not own PJ Grady and Delorean Moter Center and cannot just stash them
in their website code so they can place higher in search results.
Having designed websites for many companies, I can vouch for this post
with experience and not guess-work.

I have pasted their meta tag code below for everyone to see.  I'm sure
others here will agree with me on this.  Steven or James, if you are
reading this, perhaps you should consiter removing this content off
your site as to not infringe on anyone's trademark.

-Aaron Crocco
VIN 5591
NY Plate: OUTATYM

Meta code from Delorean.com:

<META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="DeLorean, De Lorean, John Delorean, John Z.
DeLorean, delorean sales, delorean parts, delorean service, restoration,
stainless steel, gullwing, ireland, belfast, complete, texas, houston,
international, worldwide, source, repair, expert, service, national,
delivery, mail order, stephen wynne, james espey, warehouse, kapac, delorean
parts depot, delorean one, pj grady, p.j. Grady, delorean motor center">

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 13:10:11 -0500
From: Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>

I spoke to James on the phone about the whole issue and was satisfied with
his explanation. But, I'm with you David. The whole issue of forged IDs and
edited content is a bigger issue. It has to do with honest practice... which
brings me to another issue that has been brought to light recently regarding
the DMCH website. The source reveals

<META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="DeLorean, De Lorean, John Delorean, John Z.
DeLorean, delorean sales, delorean parts, delorean service, restoration,
stainless steel, gullwing, ireland, belfast, complete, texas, houston,
international, worldwide, source, repair, expert, service, national,
delivery, mail order, stephen wynne, james espey, warehouse, kapac, delorean
parts depot, delorean one, pj grady, p.j. Grady, delorean motor center">

The Meta tag "keywords" are what search engine spiders use to associate
keywords with your website. (Google uses a proprietary algorithm to rank
their websites so it does not apply.) Everything is groovy except for
"delorean one, pj grady, p.j. Grady, delorean motor center."

Bad form. Although this is a common practice, it's frowned upon in the
industry. If Pepsi had "coke, coca-cola" all over the source of their
website, you better believe the lawyers would be on that like grease on a
pork chop.

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 05:26:55 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Damage Under The Console (John R)

Except for fluids and the shift linkage, everything that passes from
the back of the car to the front is routed under the console
(including the throttle cable). Introduces the potential for all sorts
of mischief. I've experienced three failures under mine:
- Cracked vacuum line to the HVAC mode switch
- Wiring harness damage due to melted headlight switch
- Wiring harness damage due to trim screw piercing
There's so much stuff in such a confined an area (with some difficult
bracketing) that damage can easily be incurred.

Totally unrelated topic: Re: Lambo vs DeLo thread -- came out of class
tonight to find five people gathered around my car. Even with a dented
Q panel it draws a crowd. Don't know if any other marque could
consistently do such.

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 07:42:06 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com
Subject: Re: Bleeding Cooling System

DMC Joe - I have never had the opportunity to meet you in person,
and hope to do so at DCS 2006, or whenever.  I was wondering about
the introduction of the "overheat protector" to the DeLorean
community.  Do you happen to recall approximately when that
happened?  I am just curious about the ongoing pace of
the "evolution of the DeLorean" - or DeLorean Anthropology - and how
some of these innovative ideas bubble to the surface.  Thanks!

Toby Peterson VIN 2248 "Winged1"
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_a...> wrote:
> <snip>
I would strongly suggest that you install an item I invented
> specifically for the DeLorean cooling system many years ago. The
item was originally marketed as the "Overheat Protector".
<snip>

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 03:07:11 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: DMCH performane engine

I want to thank everyone for their input and information. The
decision- I will buy the stainless frame full out with arms and etc.
sometime in June/July and keep the dream rolling rust free (means I'll
also have a good used M/T frame for sale soon enough if anyone is
planning a swap around then) as well as finally restore my dead seat
covers, rugs and sunburned dash. The engine, I'm still debating. I
also have a few "appearance" modifications I'd like to do to the
interior, and exterior- no, nothing to the stainless, you'll see in
06-----Dani B. #5003

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 18:33:40 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: DMCH Addresses SonnyV

Re all the discussion of Web site tags...

There appears as though there could be a legal issue concerning meta
tags but the only parties with those potential issues legally are
those whose names were tagged. We aren't business lawyers and as of
now either are any of those who have posted regarding this. Rather
than collect and post a dozen laymen's opinions regarding this it may
be in the list's majorities interest to move on with the original
intent of sharing the pride and tribulation of DeLorean ownership. If
there are deep concerns regarding this it might be best to forward
them to the parties directly involved.

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 12:27:28 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: hazard/headlight switch bulbs

Can anyone tell me what type of bulb(s) the hazard & headlight switch bulbs
are?

Mine have been burned out forever and I want to replace them. Would a local
partshouse have these or do I need to get them from a vendor? Are there LED
equivelants? (I doubt it but I'm asking anyway)

Thanks,

Rich A.

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 08:28:52 -0500
From: "Carl Davis" <carldavis_at_dml_familykia.com>

Thanks joe, that why I figured I would ask beofre I do more damage than
good.   Carl

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 16:39:05 -0000
From: "Jennifer Moe" <jennymoe4_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Need help

I am a very new owner and one of the people I work with is slamming
my D.  Course I think he is just jealous because he has always
wanted one, I mean who doesn't.  So I need some help.  I would like
some good sites I can go to or good solid info on the safety
standards of the DeLorean. He said that it was a Very "Unsafe Car"
and I know it was originally designed for an insurance company as
a "safe Car".  And when I told him this he said "well yes when he
had originally designed it back in the sixty it was considered
safe!"
Now I know that was one of his major concerns and major focuses was
safety.  SO any help or info you could send would be great!  I would
really love to stick it to this guy! Thanks!

Jennifer

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:10:02 -0000
From: "jamesrguk" <James_rg_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: New Products & New Ideas

Hi all,

Just to keep you all updated on my crazy ongoing quest to reproduce
DMC parts I have had a few more possibilities come to light.

1) I saw the 1st sample of the rear lamp covers this morning and
they look awesome, I should have the 1st set ready and on my car by
Tuesday next week.

2) I can have the steering column cowling remanufactured in the OEM
look, textured, black plastic, (the bit that the indicator arm and
horn etc... poke out of).

I heard that these were hard to get hold of, it this the case? Is it
worth pursuing?

3) I visited my mate at his printing studio and he was showing me a
sign he had done for a clients van rear windows, it was printed on
Contra-Vision film.

This stuff is amazing, photo quality picture from any JPEG/BMP
etc... From one side of the window you can only see the picture and
from the other side you can see straight through it very weird.

Hmmm a panoramic shot of the factory in the rear qtr windows? This
has huge possibilities.

I would, as always, be interested in your comments.

James RG

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 17:40:39 -0000
From: "sweitzel_2000" <sweitzel_at_dml_lffltd.com>
Subject: Barret Jackson car auction this weekend on the Speed Channel

I noticed that they have one Delorean for sale VIN 2647.
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/events/scottsdale/vehicles/cardetail_list.asp?id=180164

Anyone want to wager a guess as to what it will sell for?

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 13:52:53 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: RE: Need help

Jennifer,

There is complete documentation concerning the evolution of the DeLorean as
a safety vehicle in the publication "Stainless Steel Illusion" pages 22 to
24.

DMC Joe

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 13:11:57 -0600 (CST)
From: "Stephen M. Jones" <smj_at_dml_cirr.com>
Subject: DMCH's shifter boot early wear/tear ?

I purchased one of the new shifter boots that use a metal bracket
just over a year ago and already the boot has developed holes on
either side (from using 5th gear and reverse). After the fact, I
noticed that the metal bracket had sharp edges and they could probably
be smoothed and prevent this from happening.  If you have one of these
new boots and you've not torn it, I'd suggest you'd check yours out
to make sure you don't accidentally cut your boot.

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 11:23:24 -0800
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>
Subject: Re: hazard/headlight switch bulbs

I found them at my local Schucks auto parts for about $3 for a pair

Phil Priestley
Alessandros Restaurant
http://alessandros120.com/
(503)370-9951
1(866)225-7985

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 19:26:34 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

They are VERY tinly little things. I couldn't find them for sale in
any hardware stores. Almost considered going to Radio Shack. Luckily
I bought some junk switched for parts and the bulbs were all in
working order. So I never found a place that sells them other then
DMCH.

I'm sure if I looked hard enough, I could find em'

Let me know if you find them in LED.

Later,

Joe

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 20:09:26 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: DMCH performane engine (SS frame)

Dani B. and others,

If you "plan" to order a SS frame soon, with all the SS extras
you may want to check with Pearce Design at least a few months
in advance of your need, since the frames and some of the SS
extras are not "just sitting on the shelf waiting to be bought".

Most of the first series of frames have been built in sections
with the center section (manual or automatic) construction being
left for the "build to suit" option.  There is a lead time from
a few weeks to a few months, depending upon current orders.

This is something you do not want to wait until June/July to
order, only to find out there is a waiting list until Fall.

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 12:24:33 -0800 (PST)
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

Well, Jen.  Let's face it: It's obvious that this guy you work with is a complete and total loser.  That much is obvious to those who actually own the car.  In fact, it's probably not worth it to even dignify this guy's "dixie whistlin' " with a response.

But, if the front crumple zone, low center of gravity, responsive handling, side impact beams, padded dash (knee pads), interia switch, plastic fuel cell, and urethane fascias don't convince him that the car is safe, not much will.  ....Except maybe this:

http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/rollover.html

Note the driver walked away from this.  Keep an eye on those 23 year old T/A bolts, and it's even safer!  :-)

Jake Kamphoefner
1063 -->with Toby bolts

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 20:42:15 -0000
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

 Just like to both congratulate and thank you for your choice. Its
actually pretty cool knowing someone is going that extra mile for the
car. Ive owned a Lotus , a 308 and afew other noteworthy cars in my
life and Ive never really been satisfied by owning them, the Delorean
is truly a car worth keeping and preserving, good choice. The upkeep
of the lambo could have been devestating, although the Countach is
truly an incredible vehicle.
Harry Vin# 2696

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 14:44:03 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Rich, For the life of me I can't find the part number as of yet, but I have
them in stock