From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2451
Date: Thursday, January 27, 2005 8:54 PM

From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

From: "Charlie" <charles_az1_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: Chris Pilcic <chrisdmc82_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

From: "p12c16" <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

From: "Michael & Denise" <luckeys71_at_dml_cox.net>

From: "Lawrence J, Lormand" <lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net>

From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

From: "endotex23" <endotex23_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

15. Re: Speedometer Woes
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

16. Re: Speedometer Woes
From: "Lawrence J, Lormand" <lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 20:52:48 -0000
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: Need help

Congradulations on your new ownership!  I found that with some of
these "know it all's" that it doesn't matter if you have all of the
car's data in front of you or if you have DOT records showing no
fatalities in the DeLorean - EVER, that you can't convince them otherwise.

Tell Mr. Jealous that he's right and you're gonna go have fun in your
totally-unsafe-unreliable car.  Just nod your head and say "uh-huh"
every time he opens his pie-hole.  He can go have his fun in his
Honda, (or city bus or skateboard or whatever).

Johnny
5518

BTW: the DeLorean Safety Vehicle was underwritten by Allstate in the
1970's.  Go here for lots of D material like this: www.entermyworld.com

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 20:58:51 -0000
From: "Charlie" <charles_az1_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Hey Jennifer,

I too got this yesterday and these people are probably 1 at all our
jobs or in life.  And I rolled my eye's to all the responses he gave
even had the gull to call it a beamer???  and honestly its not worth
all the reasearch for those people...cause in the end they really
don't care..

That's my opinion,

Charlie

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 14:25:10 -0800 (PST)
From: Chris Pilcic <chrisdmc82_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Help w/ New Radio Install...

Hey group,

I am attempting to put a new cd player in the car,
however i keep blowing the 1 and a half amp in-line
fuse in the car... the new radio is running a 15 amp
fuse on the same line... any recommendations?

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 23:06:59 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

See Messages #35514 and #35530 (I've re-uploaded pics to #5939's photo
album).

Cadillac weighed ~4500 lbs. Closing speed was at least 120 mph. I'll
let your co-worker do the math.

Use DeLorean safety judiciously, however. It tends to be a single use
application. You most likely will walk away from the experience, but
the little silver car may well sacrifice itself in the process.

I seem to remember reading that over the decades there's only been one
or two fatalities in a DeLorean.

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 22:28:30 -0000
From: "p12c16" <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

I totally recommend buying a copy of the Stainless Steel Illusion, which answers all of your
questions and then some.  Its available on www.delorean.com and probably on some of
the other vendors sites.  Its about $40, but all owners should have a copy.  Loan it to the
guy who is hassling you, and make him feel like a total idiot.  And the car was not
designed in the 60's, he is way off on that one.

Patrick
1880

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 18:40:57 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: RE: Bleeding Cooling System

Toby,

I started research and testing of the Overheat Protector in 1987. I believe
I started to installed the devices in customers cars in 88 or 89. High
demand from other owners pushed me to package and sell them through my
former on line store in 1990.

DMC Joe

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 19:16:38 -0500
From: "Michael & Denise" <luckeys71_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Speedometer Woes

Hi gang,
Whenever I have trouble I turn to the experts for help so here I am again!  I had removed my dash binnacle to replace some burnt out bulbs and put everything back together with no problem except now the speedometer will not work.  Everything seems to be O.K. and I even detached the upper speedo cable to make sure the gauge was still functioning with the cable in it and it seemed to be working fine.  I must be doing something wrong with the cable hook up but darned if I can figure this out and I've been struggling with it for over a week.  Any thoughts or ideas on my dilemma would be appreciated!
Thanks as always,

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 20:02:33 -0500
From: "Lawrence J, Lormand" <lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net>
Subject: DMC SAFTEY

Hello,
Tell this guy that Between John De Lorean  & Lotus this is probably one
safe car,  My insurance company still gave me a discount because of the
safety features in this car.
I saw a Delorean that was creamed from the front & the Pod was hardly
damaged, the whole luggage compartment on the car was totally broke off
the Pod. the driver walked away Dazzed but, unhurt. Another De Lorean
was t-boned & the  door stayed intact & the fiberglass was cracked
around the door framing but, the foam in the fiberglass takes up a lot
of impact. I drive clover leafs & 60 MPH no slipping or sliding.  I
feel very safe While Driving in my De Lorean's .
Lawrence  MI. vin's 00538a, 00915a, 4873a

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 19:19:21 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Help w/ New Radio Install...

Chris, Not knowing what the new CD player draws in current, I would try a
2.5 amp and go from there. As far as the other one at 15 amps. That sound
extremely high.
15 amps = 180 watts. Is there anything rated in watts on the equipment.
John  Hervey

I am attempting to put a new cd player in the car,

Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 01:27:23 -0000
From: "endotex23" <endotex23_at_dml_yahoo.com>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Jennifer Moe" <jennymoe4_at_dml_y...> wrote:
>  I am a very new owner and one of the people I work with is
slamming
> my D.

Uh, the bias here is a bit tough to swallow. I work in an industry
that defines safety and the comments here reflect both ignorance and a
clear lack of objectivity. "Safe" needs to be defined. Are you
refering to crashworthiness or something else?

Just so you're aware:

1) Portions of the electrcial system are a fire waiting to happen.

2) Same with the fuel system.

3) Escape after rollover can be problematic.

4) Front crumple zone is flimsy and needs to be re-enforced.

5) Trailing arm attachment design and materials used are an
abomination.

6) Broken nuts holding front suspension components are a problem.

7) Control arms are flimsy and prone to cracking and failure.

I could could on. The bottom line is the car is reasonably "safe"
as long as the poor design and service bulletins are corrected and
complied with. The somewhat shoddy design and construction, a less
than rigid frame and body coupled with a low design height in today's
SUV rich envronment, and a number of other factors such as inadequate
crash padding, poor visibility, lack of a SRS, etc, make the car not
nearly as "safe" as modern vehicles. A Delorean would likely fail
current crashworthiness tests in nearly every category and the quoted
lack of fatalities is nothing more than a statistical aberration.

I suggest you solicit information from people who have more
objectivity than any of the parties currently involved. It's your life
you know.

Greg

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 19:49:46 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Jennifer,
don't bother doing a bunch of research to please this person.
They don't respect you or your feelings and they do not need a response.
They have their mind made up and you are not going to convince them
otherwise.
They are jeleous pure and simple.
I am betting this person drives a car that think is the "best" and everyone
else's car is crap.
They don't like to have the spot light shifted.
You will meet these type of know-it-all jack asses on a daily basis as long
as you own the car.
It comes as part of the package, you will always have to answer stupid
questions every time
you stop for gas or someone catches your near the vehicle.
If your lucky, you will get "hey, nice car"... but usually you will have to
put up with:
"Where's the flux capacitor?"
"How much did this cost?"
"How fast does it go?"
"Where did you find that car?"
"How long have you had that car?"
"is the guy who made that car still in jail?"
"...find any coke in the doors?"
...and the one I hate the most,
"How do you like that DeLorean?"
I usually reply, "I hate it, but I am forced to drive it as part of my
comminity service"
They look at me funny, and sometimes figure out I am being sarcastic.

This is life with the DeLorean.
Next time your loud mouthed buddy wants to shoot off at the mouth,
if your a nice person simply tell them in your own way,
"This is the car I wanted and I enjoy it and that's all that matters.
I wanted something unique and different as a novelty and I have a lot of fun
with it
and frankly it is none of your business"
If you an A-hole like me then you would say,
"Go Fxxx yourself before I knock your teeth out."

Either response will usually stop the harassment.
So far no one has lost any teeth.

- Videobob

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 19:53:07 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

...BTW, I wrecked my DeLorean last year in a 30MPH collision.
I never felt a thing, just a bump.
I repaired all the front fiberglass, replaced the facia, hood, fender,
windshield etc
for only a few thousand bucks and it looks like new.
It was cheaper to repair than our Honda Accord when we wrecked it the same
way.
- VB

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 20:17:32 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: hazard/headlight switch bulbs

I found the number and I will order them tomorrow. I thought they were on
the sight.
#2721, I put it on the sight.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/images/bulbs-for-headlight-switch
.jpg

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 21:17:25 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: RE: Re: Need help

Bill,

I believe you are correct. Although I have no official documentation
concerning fatalities in wrecks involving DeLorean's my memory recalls only
two in the entire cars history of 25 years.

DMC Joe

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 21:49:30 -0500
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>
Subject: Re: Speedometer Woes

Hey Mike,

Best thing to do is jack up the front of the car, so the LH wheel is off
the ground, and disconnect the lower speedo cable from the lambda
counter. (inside passenger compartment)  Turn the wheel by hand, and
note whether the inner lower cable is also turning.  If it isn't, try
twisting and pushing it down into the outer flexible shaft. (not too
hard)  Sometimes, the thing just becomes unseated.  If it's jammed, then
you probably just need a new lower inner cable, since we just replaced
your angle drive.

If everything works there, check the connections at the lambda counter
for wear.  If you need a replacement counter, I've got a few here.  Let
me know.

Good luck,
Josh

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 21:49:22 -0500
From: "Lawrence J, Lormand" <lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net>

mike
Make sure your pressing the cable into the speedometer so that clip on
the back Holds it in place. then if thats fine take your rim off the
car & turn the studs by hand while checking the speedo to make sure
it's working, most of the time the angle drive is seized up or broken,
but the plastic speedo dust cap on hub may not be seating in or the
lower cable might be stripped.
Lawrence