From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2453
Date: Saturday, January 29, 2005 9:59 AM

1. Re: silly oil change question
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

2. Re: silly oil change question-simple solution
From: "Stephen Card" <stephen_at_dml_procomroofing.com>

3. Re: Re: silly oil change question
From: "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

4. RE: Re: Need help
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

5. Re: silly oil change question
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

6. Re: silly oil change question
From: "endotex23" <endotex23_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Re: Need help
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

8. Re: silly oil change question
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Re: DMC (Texas) Addresses SonnyV
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

10. RE: DMC Desktop Images - facia mark
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

11. RE: Bill need a new automatic
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

12. The truth about Post 40013
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Re: Need help
From: "Steven L. Alves" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>

14. DMC Desktop Images - Contest?
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Re: DMC Desktop Images - facia mark
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

16. Re: Re: SonnyV? There's a bigger issue here!--Yes there is
From: Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Re: Need help (Electrical Failure Starting A Fire)
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

18. Re: Need help
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

19. Re: silly oil change question
From: "Jim Reeve" <dmc6960_at_dml_gmail.com>

20. Re: DMC Desktop Images - facia mark
From: "Payne" <bpayne_at_dml_macnet.com>

21. Re: DMC Desktop Images - facia mark
From: Jack Stiefel <jackstiefel_at_dml_gmail.com>

22. Re: silly oil change question
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

23. RE: Bleeding Cooling System
From: "Arnie Brandon" <arnie_at_dml_pndc.org>

24. Sonny V rebuttal
From: Tom <dmctom_at_dml_earthlink.net>

25. Re: SonnyV? There's a bigger issue here!--Yes there is
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 23:49:18 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com
Subject: Re: silly oil change question

Owen - What I do with Winged1 is to fashion a little "deflector
chute" from any piece of cardboard I have laying around.  My
situation is a little worse than yours due to the rear sway bar that
I have installed on the lower surface of the frame cross-member.  If
you jam the cardboard up against the frame, it will deflect the oil
stream downwards into the pan.  For the filter, you can do the same
thing by jamming a piece of cardboard under the filter before you
loosen it.  The oil will drip down onto the cardboard into the pan,
leaving the engine block fairly clean.  I hope this helps.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Owen Emry <owen_at_dml_a...> wrote:

> Okay, I've changed my oil a few times, now, and I've not figured
out how to avoid making a mess.

> Once the oil plug is removed, the oil shoots straight out, hits the
frame, and splatters impressively.  Similarly, after removing the
filter, the oil makes a mess of the side of the engine.

> Is there any clever way to make the process neater, or am I going
to have to bite the bullet and do the epoxy floors in the garage?  ;)

Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 00:25:53 -0000
From: "Stephen Card" <stephen_at_dml_procomroofing.com>
Subject: Re: silly oil change question-simple solution

Take a piece of cardboard, crease it down the center (crease helps to
stiffen the cardboard and direct the oil). Hold it in front of the
frame at an angle(top closer to the engine), remove the plug. The oil
will hit the cardboard instead of coating the frame, the angle helps
direct the oil into your oil basin below.
Hope it helps,
Stephen
3601

Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 18:05:15 -0600
From: "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Re: silly oil change question

Also, I stole this idea from someone else on the DML:   Wrap that portion of
the frame in tin foil.  You can even "form" the foil to help direct the oil
down.

Jake Kamphoefner
Driving 1063, and still feeling safe.  (sorry David T.)  :-)

Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 19:43:28 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: RE: Re: Need help

Greg,

Your closing paragraph is fairly accurate and reasonable and I am in
agreement with much of what you say. My only concern is that your list may
be misconstrued by potential new owners or detractors of the DeLorean. Based
on that I make the following comments in the defense of the design engineers
and technical directors who staffed the company during its active years.

1. You said "waiting to happen". How many documented instances do you know
of where the electrical system started a fire.

2. You said "same with fuel system". How many documented instances do you
know of where the fuel system started a fire.

3. You said "Escape after rollover can be problematic" do you know of any
owners who have had difficulty escaping their DeLorean's in a rollover.

4. The factory became aware of the front frame extension weakness early on
and subsequently issued Safety Bulletin SC-03-01/82 which included beefed up
doubler plates and hardened fasteners. All other weakness problems are
usually related to corrosion and not design.

5. Trailing arm attachment. The design of this system is used in many other
vehicles. Virtually all of the problems related to bolt failure was a result
of incorrect torque setting of these bolts at the assembly plant. This
problem was addressed in several notices issued to service personal and
owners. Hardened replacement fasteners have been available from most of the
vendors for years.

6. All of the front suspension fastener problems we're corrected by the
factory with the following:
Safety Campaign's
NOS.RA-001 1/21/82 RA-002
SC-01-1/82
SC-04-12/81
SC-04-11/81
SC-03-11/81
SC-02-11/81
SC-01-11/81

7. I somewhat agree with you concerning the lower links but I wouldn't use
the term "prone". Failures are rare and usually related to corrosion or
collision damage.

In closing this week Ford Motor Company recalled 800,000 vehicles for engine
fires. Effected vehicles go back to the year 2000. If you go to the Office
of Defects Investigation at the NHTSA website you will find thousands of
recalls among automobile manufacturers around the world. Many of the recalls
involve hundreds of fatalities. Check and see how many recalls indicate :
"problem in detachment of steering column........." or "defect in power
brake coupling ....." "hood latch defect can cause hood to fly open at
highway speed causing ........". What about the SUV roll over problems a
couple of years back?

The DeLorean design engineers did an outstanding job in addressing safety
issues in the design of the car. Lutz Feuerabendt, William Charles, John
Patro, Doyle Potter, and Leif Montin, in-turn, did an equally impressive job
in staying on top of safety issues irrespective of mounting problems
throughout the production years.

Why did it take profitable Ford Motor Company 800,000 vehicles and five
years to take action on a safety problem while the floundering DeLorean
Motor Company made appropriate modifications and notified their customers of
all safety issues within three years at 8500 cars.

DMC Joe

Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 00:46:19 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

An old washing up bowl, and have you discovered "brake cleaner" for
cleaning up afterwards? It's a volatile, flammable solvent used in
workshops everywhere. It comes in aerosols, or more usually for a
professional setup, in a squirty bottle with a pump on the top. It
dissolves oil and dries to a powder in a few seconds. You'll recognise
it immediately because it stinks of lemon - in fact this is a major
ingredient

Martin

Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 01:19:12 -0000
From: "endotex23" <endotex23_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Put a Fomoto valve on it. I've run them for years. Well worth the $20.

Greg

Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 02:10:17 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Need help

If you look at the history the car did not turn out like Allstate
expected. It was not the "safety car" that was intended. The Bricklin
was also backed by Allstate and in it's time was much more of a
"safety car". I give Allstate a lot of credit for trying but it didn't
work out, at least in the case of the Delorean. BTW do you know what
the -12 was supposed to mean in DMC-12? The car was supposed to be
$12,000!!!!! That didn't work out either.

Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 02:28:33 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Here's a good tip courtesy of my good friend and expert jerryrigger
Shannon Yocom who thought up this neat little trick.

Take a regular gallon windshield washer bottle, (empty of course)
cut  the bottom off, and then cut id about 4 inches down. Cut the
side of the bottom of the bottle off, the side opposite of the
handle, and leave the back of the bottle attached.

So you will have a emty windshield washer jug with the bottom
removed, and the front bottom section removed.

You can just hold the jug upside down with the remaining part of the
bottle to act as a perfect splash shield, and the oil will flow
right down out of the opening  on the windshield bottle. With the
bottle upside down, you have the old handle still there to hold it
in place till the flow to where you can remove the splash shield.
Save the bottom circle part of the bottle to set the jug in to
prevent any dribbles of mess.

Perfect for the clean freaks like me to prevent oild from getting on
your frame. I cut my splash shield a bit bigger as I keep the frame
windexed and washed. This is the perfect trick to avoid the oil bath
the frame normally takes.

Hope you understood what I was trying to say. Let me know if you
need me to post a picture showing a cut jug.

Good luck,

Joe OBrien

2524,
16634,

Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 02:06:13 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: DMC (Texas) Addresses SonnyV

Claude, I see you are using one of your aliases. It seems YOU have the
vendetta with a vendor. Everyone else would just wish you would go
away. Everything in that post is the truth, you  just don't like to
hear it. I know, I was there.

Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 22:03:03 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: RE: DMC Desktop Images - facia mark

 Shannon,

Very nice pictures! The top image of the rear fascia reminds me of an
interesting anomaly that few owners are aware of. Instead of telling you
what this is all about lets see who can come up with the first correct
answer.

In the picture just below the amber lens segment you can see a faint blemish
in the gray section of the fascia. Approximately two thirds of all original
fascias have this mark. There is a similar mark under the right rear lens
and more under the headlights on the front fascia. Lets see who comes up

Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 22:03:03 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: RE: Bill need a new automatic

You said:
<"........but it is popping in a out of gear">

Could simply be a bad sifter solenoid or associated wiring.

DMC Joe

Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 19:27:27 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: The truth about Post 40013

Yup, Post 40013 is all true..  Claude could not even
turn the damn heat on, and it was one of the coldest
days of the year.

The four of us that were there that day are lucky to
be alive.

The discussion was about vendors refusing to sell
parts to people based on opinions they express in
public, Not a generous business man with 3 volunteers
risking their lives to clean out your basement, house,
garage, attic, and 3 story building which should have
been condemned.

You should be thanking Rob for what he did for you,
instead of dragging this topic back up as if you were
treated poorly.

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 22:45:32 -0500
From: "Steven L. Alves" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>

Funny, I noticed in those collision test vehicles.. The cars were equipped
with both drivers and passenger airbags. Guess that is another thing that
didn't make it to production.

Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 19:29:18 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DMC Desktop Images - Contest?

Was this a contest?

Those photos look like the ones from a calendar I
remember seeing at the first DCS show..

<SNIP>

Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 04:10:17 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

DMC Joe - Those marks are from the tape that was used to attach
protective sheets to the cars while at the QAC's.  What do I get as
a prize?

Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 19:47:35 -0800 (PST)
From: Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: SonnyV? There's a bigger issue here!--Yes there is

Patrick, Thank you for a thoughtful and well reasoned post. I am in total agreement. Rod Dillman VIN 10921

p12c16 <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com> wrote:

I think this list is overlooking a huge issue as well. All I ask is
that you step back and look
at the situation for a few moments. I may be going out on a limb
here, but I feel that
many others agree with me,
but they choose not to
speak up and voice their opinions on all of this. I'm not trying to
make enemies either.
Try go go back in
time 7 or 8
years. Where would we
be today without DMCH?

Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 05:24:01 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Need help (Electrical Failure Starting A Fire)

Regarding Point #1:

See the pic of my melted headlight switch in #5939's photo album.
Plastic was on fire, with flames visible from driver's footwell.
Ground wire also melted through the harness in a couple of places
under the console -- could eventually have set it on fire as well
(console is only made of cardboard after all).

Add an inline fuse BEFORE the switch.

Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 05:47:32 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

And what exactly are you basing all of this information on? Whatever
industry you're in is no substitute for lack of facts and raw data.
Especially if it's not automotive, Checksix.

The DeLorean isn't the same construction as other vehicles. Rather
than being of unibody construction, it's a "Cab Over Chassis" design,
that incorporates a monocoque body as an extention of the shorter,
typical cab.

As time goes on, cars may not pass more strict regulations that are
enforced after their build date. That is after all one of the key
points why consumers buy newer vehicles.

On this same point, I would argue that it is your statement that is
infact biased against the DeLorean. After, a Ford Model A wouldn't
pass modern safety tests. So, does that mean that it is some sort of
an engineering atrocity?

<SNIP>

Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 07:12:17 -0000
From: "Jim Reeve" <dmc6960_at_dml_gmail.com>

Given the substantial number of responces to this question already I'm
surprised nobody has yet said what I condsider the easiest solution to
this problem.  A cardboard paper-towel roll.  A toilet paper roll will
work as well but it isn't as long as I prefer.  Simply cut it down the
middle and bend it open just a little bit.  Its own tendency to curl
back up will easily wedge it between the engine and the frame so when
the oil hits it, it wont go flying.  The oil is then channeled down
the tube and into your oil pan.  As for the oil filter I just unscrew
it as fast as I can with a few shop towels directly undernieth it.
Once you get the hang of it you'll hardly spill a thing.

Jim Reeve
MNDMC - Minnesota DeLorean Club
DMC6960

Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 00:23:08 -0800
From: "Payne" <bpayne_at_dml_macnet.com>

I have these on my rear fascia. I believe it is from the foam pads that were
adhered to the bumpers of the cars before shipping. No matter what I use
that adhesive is far too baked on to be removed.

Brandon

Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 08:10:30 -0500
From: Jack Stiefel <jackstiefel_at_dml_gmail.com>

Does it have to do with the original shipping foam that was applied at
the factory?

I am just guessing here and have just gotten up, but I could see that
being an issue if not put on properly.

--
Jack Stiefel - Tampa, Fl   DMC Vin 03461

Parrot Head Radio http://www.fmtimemachine.com

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -- Adam Savage

Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 13:27:45 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

This is a point we all have addressed one time or another. That oil
drain can be a BIG mess. My first problem was just wondering how to
get the drain plug out. As to the mess, COSTCO sells a bag of rags
(50) for a few bucks, nice towel type. Then, go to the parts store
and get a spray can of non-flammable brake clean and a wide, oil-
drain pan. Just spray the brake-clean on the areas where oil needs
removed and wipe off. Clean-ups are fast easy and spotless. Just
throw the rag away and dispose of the oil properly.

When changing the oil on the floor, all the stuff I've tried usually
looked like a Rube Goldberg contraption and I made a bigger mess.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Owen Emry <owen_at_dml_a...> wrote:

> Okay, I've changed my oil a few times, now, and I've not figured
out how to avoid making a mess.
floors in the garage?  ;)

Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 19:47:45 -0800
From: "Arnie Brandon" <arnie_at_dml_pndc.org>
Subject: RE: Bleeding Cooling System

ON LINE STORE IN 1990???  Did you have a Pre WEB computer?

Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 07:34:49 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
From: Tom <dmctom_at_dml_earthlink.net>
Subject: Sonny V rebuttal

Here's a thought some of you may not have had.   We all know James was Sonny V.   The question is why?
how about realizing that James created the DML way back and over time has had people who will slam just about anything he writes on this list if he posts as himself.  Basically folks, James cannot enjoy the list he created because there are many of you who have a dis-like for James for whatever reason.

If James wants to enjoy the list, free of some of your backlash the I say that's fine.   When he posts for DMCH or as himself some of you say he's being "Self-serving""hidden agenda" etc.....   Sonny V, As I see it, and IMHO only was his way to be able to post on the list free of getting slammed by those that don't like DMCH or James personally.

His posts were not that bad.... come on, get over it.  Anonimity is not a crime, He didn't do anything so wrong as to warrant the kind of backlash he's getting.  Those that hate DMCH or James will obviously not ever agree with this but perhaps you will take my words into account and put yourself into his shoes for a minute.

The list he created was no longer something he could enjoy without having to worry that some of you would slam every post he wrote.  Sonny V, as I see it, was an attempt to re-connect with the list in a private way.. So what if he mentioned DMCH.  Those of you that don't like DMCH wouldn't care anyway, right?

Tom Watkins

Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 07:37:27 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "p12c16" <PRC1216_at_dml_a...> wrote:

<SNIP>I'm not trying to
> make enemies either.
> Try go go back in
> time 7 or 8
> years.  Where would we
> be today without DMCH?  Who would have bought the Kapac inventory?
> Where would the
> parts be located?  Would they be organized in the fashion that they
> are today?  Would they
> be as affordable and easy to order?  Would DeLorean1 have bought them
> all?
<SNIP>
It sounds to me like D1 practicly does own them now. Between this
fiasco, and Steven's association with D1, and "The Jag Shop" down in
Florida, and the horror stories that have come out of there.

Parts discovery, and new parts development are good. But rather than a
few shinny wrist watches, Christmas ornaments, posters, and wine,
Headlight switches should have been a priority. But I digress. I do
admit that DMCH has infact done allot of good.

<SNIP>
> Would they have the
> capital to research and
> design a Stage 1, 2, or 3
> PRV?  I doubt it, but thats not meant to make you look down upon
> them, or not to buy
> from them.  They just aren't as big as DMCH and don't have the kind
> of resources to do so.
<SNIP>
Bah! The PRV is a dead engine anyways. It's good that DMCH is selling
upgraded engine packages, so that they can get rid of stock. Plus,
what's involved with a port/polish, adjusted timing, new ignition
system, custom exhaust, and custom ground cam isn't all that much.
It's good that they took some time to research all this, but don't
believe that there were was any actual "tooling" invovled, when most
of the fabrication has most likely been farmed out to sub vendors.
Infact, other than those camshafts, and the work of an exhaust shop, I
doubt any exhaustive research was used. But bravo to them for getting
rid of their excess stock.

Otherwise, once the heads go on my car, I'm just junking the entire
motor. Salvaging my current engine after a catastrophe is just not
worth it _at_dml_ $1,200 per head, plus whatever it'd cost for cylinders and
sleeves. Engine swap please.

<SNIP>
Now, I am well aware that
> no one is perfect, but perhaps its not Stephen who placed these "meta
> tags" on the website.
> Does he even do web design?  I can't answer these questions.
<SNIP>

Totally agreed. After all, it's assumed that someone else who wrote
the page placed this information in (looks like Jill Bell, according
to their website). However, once he finds out this information, he
needs to have them remove it as soon as possible.

I know that DMCH has done allot for the marque, and that's good. And I
am happy that at lease some sort of an explanation was given. Not as
explicit as I had hoped for, but it is a start. As well, I know of the
loyalty from many owners that they created, and inspired. That is why
when all of this happened, it angered alot of people. A surmisable
amount of betrayal was felt. Myself included.

I still wonder what the purpose here was? I mean, Steven explains why
"SonnyV" was created, by why the need? After all, DMCH is literally
the most recognized vendor of DeLorean parts. Is business really that
bad down there?