From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2456
Date: Sunday, January 30, 2005 7:42 PM

From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

From: kevin creason <kcreason77_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: AJL521_at_dml_aol.com

8. Re: Vandalized D
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

9. Re: Which magazine is best?
From: "Richard" <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

10. Re: Bill need a new automatic
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. DCS exotic destinations
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>

12. RE: Re: Need help (Electrical Failure Starting A Fire)
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Re: Vandalized D
From: "Richard" <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

14. Re: Barrett Jackson Auction- AZ
From: Cory Cooley <mrdelorean88_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 21:00:21 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Barrett Jackson Auction- AZ

I agree with you totally that the value on these are ridiculously low
for such a unique machine- being made of stainless with the ability to
literally last forever, and with the gull wings as you said; a value
of 50K or more would be more like it. But in the past with these cars-
when you try to sell for 50 (for example) and no one will buy,
obviously you have to lower your price until you get a buyer. Now if
everyone just stopped selling these cars at 10, 20 thousand and
started asking 30, 40+, the people looking to buy would be forced to
pay 50 or whatever for one. I know never sell 5003 even for 25
thousand, to me it is just worth much more. Besides- knowing my luck,
I'd sell it for 20 and then suddenly the value would raise to 100k
LOL. You're right, hopefully in another 20 years out of production,
these will start to see some gain in value, plus with all the
accidents to come (sorry guys, but it is inevitable) there will be
less and less of these on the roads...-----Dani B. #5003

Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 16:02:15 -0500
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>
Subject: Re: Which magazine is best?

Hey Alex,

All the DeLorean related magazines out there of a very high quality,
interesting to read, and provide important information about not only
the cars but what's going on in the community.  You didn't list DeLorean
Car Show magazine among your choices, but we'd love to be included when
you make your decision!

Our magazine covers everything related to DeLoreans;  The car, the
company, the man and the community.  We've featured articles by John
DeLorean himself, as well as a series of reports from George Crane, who
used to work for the company, Bob Gale, who wrote "Back to the Future",
Claudia Wells, who starred as Jennifer Parker, in BTTF 1 as well as many
fascinating enthusiasts on and off the DML, who care deeply about the
cars and the community.  We feature several tech articles per issue, and
have covered everything from fascia removal and installation to engine
tune-ups, A/C mode switch rebuilding and radio/speaker replacement.

We've also covered all the great DeLoreans you see at Ken's car shows,
(hence the name of the magazine) including specialty cars like Curtis's
red VNDC8TR, Dave Stragand's Project Vixen, Project DeLorean, the Gold
DeLoreans, Rich W's projects, etc, etc.  We also try and include
everyone, so in our most recent issue, we included a shot of the group
photo session we had, as well as a pull out poster featuring nearly
every single DeLorean that was at the Pigeon Forge show!  Most
importantly, we cover the community.  When there is a get together,
whether it be local, regional, national or international, we try and
provide the best coverage possible, to keep enthusiasts like you who may
not be able to attend an inside peek at what's going on.

We promise to continue providing the best articles and photographs we
can in our magazine, because we feel that the community deserves it.  If
this sounds like something you might be interested in taking a look at,
we'd love to have you!  You can find out more about subscribing and
ordering back issues on Ken's website, which is www.deloreancarshow.com

Thanks for your interest,
Josh Haldeman
Assistant Editor
DeLorean Car Show Magazine

Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 15:07:24 -0600
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>
Subject: Re: Vandalized D

Joe and Micheal,

Sorry to here about your cars being damaged.   It was a bad week for
Deloreans.

Bob

Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 13:34:58 -0800 (PST)
From: kevin creason <kcreason77_at_dml_yahoo.com>

> The one thing about the list due to being moderated
> is the time lag.
> People mention that Monster Garage will be on
> tonight at such and
> such, but by the time it gets thru, its tomorrow,
> and everybody who
> was counting on this to remind them, its out the
> window.

The Yahoo! Groups provides a calendar here:

This would be useful to schedule things down like
that. Hey moderators, how about opening up the
calendar so that we can put in events like that and
the socials, gatherings, etc?

Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 21:29:08 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

Tom - this is an age-old question.  What makes one car more
important/valuable/desireable than others?  If you look at the
cars that have been pulling the really big money at Barrett-Jackson,
they have some characteristics in common that aren't common to
the DeLorean.

Probably the biggest difference it paint.  Most of the cars at
B-J are carrying finishes that are miles better than the cars ever
had from the factory.  This is every visually appealing, and most
of the bidders understand the time, effort, and money it takes
to put that kind of finish on a car.  All DeLoreans have the
same brushed stainless finish.  If a DeLorean car has been painted,
it is generally seen as an effort to cover up damage - not
the message to convey at a top-end auction.  You won't see
vastly over-restored DeLoreans like you do other, steel
bodied cars.  Because of that, they will always be seen as
"just used cars".

Another big difference is performance.  You don't see many
six-cylinder Mustangs or Camaros pulling big numbers.  All
the high dollar cars have the large diplacement, high performance
engines.  These cars typically were rarer when they were new,
which also increases their current value.  The DeLorean had
no engine options, and we all know about the relative lack
of horsepower.  Put 5 DeLoreans next to each other, and
the general public will have problems telling one from another.
The variety of options, colors, bodystyles, drivetrains make
other cars much more personal.  As an aside, I think this is the
primary reason that the DeLorean was always doomed to
failure.  People who care about cars in general don't want their
car to look just like everyone elses.

Provenance is the next biggest difference.  The DeLorean has no
performance heritage - in fact it's heritage is just the opposite.
DeLorean set out to build an ethical sportscar.  This is the
antithesis of sports cars - they are ostentatious and have
very short shelf lives when they are new.  Sports car owners
- and I'm generalizing here - are always looking for the next
good thing.  Faster, flashier, better handling - first time owners
just don't keep cars as long as the DeLorean lifespan was
intended to be.

Sometimes, cars that have been in recent movies can experience
a bounce in value.  Eleanor from Gone in Sixty Seconds, the
Bullit Mustang, Don Johnson's hemi 'Cuda from television are
examples.  Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your
point of view), the DeLorean is best known as the Back to
the Future time machine, which is more of a cartoon image
than a desireable car.  Another problem is that one of the
main themes of the movies was overcoming all of the
reliability issues with the car - hardly a good image.

There are exceptions to these observations.  Lotus
has a stellar Formula 1 history, along with sports car racing
in general, however Lotus cars tend to occupy the low end
of the sports car market, even with performance, handling,
racing history, eye appeal, and movie history all seemingly
in the right categories.

-------------- Original message from "Tom Porter" <treehouse2000us_at_dml_yahoo.com>: --------------

Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 15:54:02 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Bummer bro.
I empathize.
I would have blood in my eyes.
This is why I put a camera on the car that records everything.
I have ROTT who will let me know if anyone is walking down my road, and a
Berretta and Desert Eagle for those who try.

Hope it doesn't happen you again, but I would get a camera set up.
Check SAMS club.
- Videobob

Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 17:20:44 EST
From: AJL521_at_dml_aol.com

I had to deal with a simliar problem last summer when somebody broke into my
D in a parking lot of a bar, I suppose thankfully in my case they just broke
the window (however it still was not a fun experance)  Sadly in your case it
sounds like somebody knew a decent amount about the car, since most of the
general public would not know about the placement of the horns or the fuse box.
This does not however sound like a "professional job" because I would assume
that most theives would take what they came for and leave the rest of the stuff
alone, based on what you have discribed it sounds more like a personal grudge.

       From my own personal experance I discovered that the sooner that you
get it fixed the better you'll feel, It made me sick looking at my car without
a window.  In any case it sounded like the police were more helpful in your
case.  When my D was broken into there were 4 squads patroling the parking lot,
and none of the officers on duty saw anything.  Then when I had to get a copy
of the police report to submit to the bar manager, the police department
wouldn't even give me a copy of the report.  I had to go through the process of
filing a request under the Freedom of Information Act, needless to say it was a
real mess.
       In any case if you're going to claim it on the insurance call your
agent as soon as possiable and get price quotes on all the parts, thankfully the
parts prices can be easily obtained by going to the websites of our vendors,
however it will be more of a challenge getting labor prices, unless you plan on
doing the work yourself, but either way it would be a good idea to get the
labor costs for the purposes of records.

Best of luck,
Andrew

Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 22:50:30 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

This stuff blows my mind. I can't comprehend the level of jealousy
that makes people do stuff like this.

I don't own a garage. I can't lock mine up. I'm glad I have good
insurance and I've decided I'm going to mount a small surveillance
camera attached to my computer with a harddrive dedicated for the
recordings.

Rich A.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "dmcorlando2003" <SundeQuick_at_dml_a...>

Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 22:48:37 -0000
From: "Richard" <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "mauibarber12" <mauibarber_at_dml_h...> wrote:

> I checked the archive and couldn't really find what I was looking
> for.  I was curious what everyone thinks is the best of the DeLorean
> Magazines?  I live in Hawaii so joining the DeLorean Owners Assoc
> wouldnt do me any good. > Thoughts?
> Alex

Well, I've been getting "Gullwing" for almost 2 years now and I'm very
impressed with it.  Cheryl and Ron do an excellent job with every
issue, and it's a lot less than &78 bucks. There's lots of "how-to"
articles that you will find very useful, plus great info about the
"Screamin' Yellow D", which is one of the coolest DeLoreans around.

Richard Rowe

Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 14:55:18 -0800 (PST)
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Bill need a new automatic

> Bill in now in the market for a slightly used
> automatic transmission.
>
> Anyone got one?

Go to entermyworld.com

The guy that did the "DeLotus" has a auto tranny up
for grabs.  It needs to be "reconditioned", but hey -
it's there!

Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 23:08:36 -0000
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>
Subject: DCS exotic destinations

I seem to recall quite some time back Ken was fishing for comments
about locations for future shows. I don't know about everyone else,
but one thing I really like about Ken's shows is that I get to see
parts of our great country that I otherwise would have no reasonable
opportunity (or reason) to see. For example, it never would have
occurred to me that Pigeon Forge even existed before Ken's last
show, let alone pursue gooing there.

Since Ken's shows is my excuse for seeing places I would have no
reason to otherwise visit, I thought I'd make an observation based
on a program I just saw about destinations and highlights in
Arkansas. I always envisioned Arkansas was nothing but chicken
farms, but I was really amazed at some of the beautiful sights
there. Obviously, the program was intended to reflect it in a
positive light, but I must say that if it was representative at all
that it would be an interesting area of the country to have seen.

     Knut

Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 15:19:08 -0800 (PST)
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Need help (Electrical Failure Starting A Fire)

In my short time of owning my DeLorean and being
involved here, this is the only time I've ever heard
of a DeLorean catching on fire...

http://www.babbtechnology.com/Tech/overheat.htm

http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo

Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 23:18:59 -0000
From: "Richard" <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "dmcorlando2003" <SundeQuick_at_dml_a...> wrote:

> Just thought I would share what I woke up to this Sunday morning...
>
> I had left my D in the driveway...garage was full of bathroom remodel
> stuff...Someone had unplugged my horns and jimmied my side window
> with a screw drive and the basically muscled it almost out.
> Moral to the story..LOCK THEM BABIES UP IN THE GARAGE......
>
> Michael Q
> VIN# 02944

Hearing stories like this really makes me sick!  What is wrong with
some people these days?  These people have no idea or care about how
much money and work you put into your car and have no respect for
other people or themselves.  They could have just taken the stereo,
but noooo!....they had to ruin the rest of the car "just for fun".
While I haven't had my DeLorean vandalized, I did have someone put
half a dozen nails in all four tires of my truck in a parking lot,
leaving me stranded at 2am 30 miles from home.

The worst thing about it is that the bastards who did this to your
DeLorean will probably never get caught and will do it again to
someone else's car.  I agree with your advice, keep it locked up
inside whenever possible.

Richard Rowe

Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 16:54:05 -0800 (PST)
From: Cory Cooley <mrdelorean88_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Tom, group
   The reason is that a DeLorean goes up on the auction block is because its one of a kind car, so what it doesnt sell high, big deal.  I remember someone once telling me, its not the performance that matters, its style. Even though its the car from Back to the Future, if it wasnt for that movie, this car probably be on the same pages as the SV-1 Bricklin, the car that history forgot almost. Thats my opinion on the subject.
L8tr,
Cory C

Tom Porter <treehouse2000us_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:

I am scratching my head, why on earth are these things so cheap? It
cant be the cocain thing ingrained in these peoples heads is it? To
me looking at it, I would say 50,000 at least. These people say, Oh,
John DeLorean, hes so not cool, lets bid 20 on it. And thats if
their generous.

Mabye history will be more kind to us in another 20 years. At least
our body pannels will be able to last that long.

Tom Porter
Maine (dont get out much), USA