From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2457
Date: Monday, January 31, 2005 4:55 PM

1. Re: Barrett Jackson Auction- AZ
From: "Charlie" <charles_az1_at_dml_hotmail.com>

2. Ground Effects?
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

3. RE: Re: Need help (Electrical Failure Starting A Fire)
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

4. Re: New DeLorean?
From: "delorean4981" <DeLorean4981_at_dml_hotmail.com>

5. Frequency valve Qs
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

6. Re: Ice Storm In Atlanta
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

7. Re: Vandalized D
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

8. Re: Vandalized D
From: "Dave Stragand" <dave.stragand_at_dml_forwardlook.net>

9. Re: Ground Effects?
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>

10. Re: Barrett Jackson Auction- AZ
From: "turbodelorean" <dmcfan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

11. Newsletter DCS Pheasant Run
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

12. Re: Re: New DeLorean?
From: Stephen Jones <smj_at_dml_cirr.com>

13. Re: Ground Effects?
From: "gullwingmag" <gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

14. RE: Vandalized D
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

15. RE: Re: Vandalized D
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

16. Re: Damaged DeLoreans
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

17. Re: Need help (DeLorean Electrical System Weaknesses)
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

18. Sealed Relays for door lock module?
From: "gzapf" <x86Daddy_at_dml_myrealbox.com>

19. RE: Frequency valve Qs
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

20. Which Magazine is best?
From: "Tom Watkins" <dmctom_at_dml_earthlink.net>

21. Thanks for the Info!
From: "Jennifer Moe" <jennymoe4_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. Re: Ground Effects?
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

23. Remove engine cover and Hinges
From: "Charlesdos Mavor" <charlesmajor_at_dml_hotmail.com>

24. Re: Need help (Electrical Failure Starting A Fire)
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

25. Re: Vandalized D
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 01:23:58 -0000
From: "Charlie" <charles_az1_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Barrett Jackson Auction- AZ

Live from Tempe:  for those who missed the auction on TV I just left
the show at westworld.  The delorean looked great and the car was
from Oklahoma and is going to CO Springs.  Everything looked good
except the paint on the rear bumper was peeling and also just one
small dent on the passenger fender..But It was a cool car none the
less.

Charlie
!!Cause I can!!

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Tom Porter" <treehouse2000us_at_dml_y...>

Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 01:35:38 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Ground Effects?

I've seen some DeLoreans in pictures with additional ground effects
attached to the bottom of the air dam, and bottom of the rockers. Are
these available anywhere? -----Dani B. #5003

Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 19:12:25 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Need help (Electrical Failure Starting A Fire)

David,
With all due respect, you make the electrical system sound like a total
basket case. Yes it has a few problems but some of them are self induced. We
wait till the blower motor to go out and draws almost twice the current and
over heats the CB and maybe scorches the wires before we replace it. Same
with the fuel pump and #7 fuse. We can't blame mother nature for getting
grit and grime into parts where we don't want it. I don't know of any mass
market car manufactures of that time will make a bullet proof wiring system.
We just have to use some common sense with it and update it according and it
will be fine. Again, as you know were dealing with a 20+ year old
technology.

Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 02:30:52 -0000
From: "delorean4981" <DeLorean4981_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: New DeLorean?

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "snyepsp" <ryanmcgrory_at_dml_n...> wrote:

> Hey, I'm new too all this, but I love DMC 12. I searched new
> DeLorean and I got a strange looking red thing, that supposedly
will
> cost $1,000,000, and also rumours of a new $20,000 car.

Sorry to burst your bubble but, they are not making the car.  I
thought they were when i first looked through Tamir's site, but then
i got on the message board there and realized that it wont happen
anyitme soon.  The watches arent selling at all, and those pics were
just photoshop concept drawings.

Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 02:59:51 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Frequency valve Qs

Can someone describe to me what symptoms would be typical of a bad
frequency valve? Anyone know how much voltage is supposed to be coming
from the wires that plug into the valve? Thanks guys -----Dani B. #5003

Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 03:01:13 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Ice Storm In Atlanta

Why did it HAVE to be the LEFT FRONT FENDER!!!!!!!   There is an owner
in New York that has left his out in the yard under trees for many
years and a large branch landed on it, of course, and creased the left
REAR fender and knocked out the rear quater glass. I told him to move
it at least off the dirt, onto pavement, but he just put some more
covers over it! Maybe put a blanket over the car and then a cover over
that. Maybe a Carcoon could have prevented the damage?

Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 01:29:46 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Vandalized D

Get yourself a decent pager alarm. I've installed one and didn't even
bother hooking up a siren or connecting it to the horns. With an LCD
pager, you'll know when your cars being disturbed, not the people
trying to destroy your car so-you can give them a good surprise.
Thankfully, I've never had a problem (yet?)-even when I left my car
sitting in a community college parking lot for hours with the spare
key left in the passenger door (!!). Like all the rest of us here,
I'll never comprehend why people do this. Wish you the best of luck
fixing everything, and definitly increase the security of the car.
-----Dani B. #5003

Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 21:48:31 -0500
From: "Dave Stragand" <dave.stragand_at_dml_forwardlook.net>

For those of you who are forced to keep your car outside, I would really
recommend getting a car cover.  (In the interest of "vendor disclosure",
yes, I do sell them.  However, I won't try to sell anyone a cover here -- I
will simply try to sell you on the IDEA of a cover --ANY COVER-- even from
Wal-Mart or the like.)

When you put a good tied-down or locked cover on your D, you hide the make,
model, and most distinguishing characteristics of the car.  It averts the
curious, and simply just hides the fact the vehicle underneath is a
DeLorean, and that alone helps solve a lot of the problems inherent with
leaving your D outside.  Add to that the weather protection that a cover
provides, and you really would be crazy to go without one.

I believe every major vendor carries D covers of different fabrics, colors
and styles, and the discount stores have 'generic' covers that do a decent
job (but do not fit anywhere like a tailored cover).  A cover lock, bungee,
or piece of rope will help keep the cover on the car, and discourage cover
thieves or 'peekers'. Prices range from around $30 for a generic cover up to
around $270 for tailored covers in specialized fabrics.  The investment is
well worth the price, and anything is better than nothing. Cheap protection
is still better than none at all.

-Dave Stragand

Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 23:06:53 -0500
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: Ground Effects?

Houston and Grady both have them now.
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 04:17:40 -0000
From: "turbodelorean" <dmcfan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Honestly the biggest factor as to why most DeLorean's sell for a
cheap price is because most owners do not restore their DeLoreans
like they should or keep them maintained like they should. I see too
many people spending money on add on items like door launchers for a
few hundred dollars instead of buying new headliners, if their car
needed it or just anything that the car should have to make it more
valuable. I bought one that was mechanically sound but needed some
very minor restoration work. Since I bought mine I replaced(with all
original parts) seat covers, weatherstriping kit, headliners(pj
grady, by far the best imo), bought every part that would make the
car more reliable, and have made some subtle changes to the car that
most people find the car more appealing. I have pulled my
engine/trans twice first time to clean it up, second to paint and
polish everything to show car quality. I keep the same three colors
on the car when I upgrade anything(gray, silver, black). I feel that
any other colors take away from the car. I have a BAE turbo kit that
I ceramic coated everything in it so it always looks great. Twice a
year I go over the stainless with a blending pad. The car is always
indoors when not in use. These are the things that people SHOULD do
with their cars to make them worth more. I have seen too many choppy
installs of parts or custom parts that do not make the care look
good at all. So in my opinion it is all up to the owner as to what
they want their car to sell for or be valued at. Mine is currently
insured with an agreed value of $34,000. I honestly believe that if
I were to put my car up on that auction floor I would get that or
more. Why? the condition I keep it in and that EVERYTHING works. I
have probably put close to 10k in it the past two years so that I
can go places with it and show people that there are really good
ones out there and what they should look like. I always keep towels,
windex, and SS polish in my car incase I see a finger print or
something on the glass. I have won three 1st place awards in various
car shows and won 1st place in 20K-30K mileage catergory at 04 DCS.
The value of the car still comes down what somebody is willing to
pay for it, but if you want it to be worth anything you MUST put in
the time for it and keep it running. If you are unable to fix
something or repair something to make the car worth more or run
better than you bought the wrong car. I realize that some people buy
this car because they always wanted one, which is why I bought one,
but if you can't afford to fix something right at that moment or put
a few thousand into it to make it look better you should not own any
specialty cars. What I do to keep mine in the shape it is in is not
overkill, but it is what owners need to do with their cars to make
their DeLoreans worth more.

Peter K

Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 23:30:50 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Newsletter DCS Pheasant Run

I sent out the newsletter if you have been to one of the shows or have the
magazine you should get it.
If not and you want it e-mail me privately and I will send you a copy

We spent the weekend at Pheasant Run and it was Awesome we had a  blast.
So we are on our way to 2006.

Thanks for your support

Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 20:17:32 -0800
From: Stephen Jones <smj_at_dml_cirr.com>
Subject: Re: Re: New DeLorean?

On Jan 30, 2005, at 6:30 PM, delorean4981 wrote:

> Sorry to burst your bubble but, they are not making the car.  I
> thought they were when i first looked through Tamir's site, but then
> i got on the message board there and realized that it wont happen
> anyitme soon.  The watches arent selling at all, and those pics were
> just photoshop concept drawings.

 From what I understand those drawings were from the mid 80s anyway,
right?  Did anyone get the watch?  I wanted to order one, but the site
went down before I could.  I believe his daughter was taking orders a
couple of years ago at the Delorean show in TN (is that right?)

I realise its expensive for a watch, but for me just having the
certificate and
watch would have been fine, never mind the place in line for a car.

Honestly, I don't think there will be another Delorean.  There are so
many
positive facts over looked on the old car .. lots of people focus on
its short
comings .. but its quite an amazing vehicle .. and like a recent list
member
said, its really held up to the times and always stayed unique.

I watch the Pennebaker film at least once a year .. and from my
professional
career in Engineering and dealing with outside vendors, I completely
empathise
with what is going on in each of those meetings .. I always feel a bit
depressed,
even though the film ends on a positive note showing figures, pointing
out how
the company 'beat the odds' but we know the later story.  Oh, and I
know this is
all subjective and people have strong opinions about who was
right/wrong ..
so I probably shouldn't even bring this up ;-)

Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 04:35:05 -0000
From: "gullwingmag" <gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

DMC Houston and I believe P.J. Grady sell them

Ron
Gullwing Magazine

Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 23:34:40 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

Michael.

Sorry for your misfortune. One item that you mentioned puzzled me. You said:

<"They ripped out my fuse box and cut all of the wiring ...">

Unless you already had the carpet and electrical panel exposed how would
they know that these item's were there.
In the years I have spent as a DeLorean technical consultant I have always
been amazed how the electrical compartment is in a stealth location.

On one particular project a client requested the condition of a DeLorean he
was purchasing. The car was for sale at a classic car dealer in the Midwest.
Shortly after my arrival the showroom manager said that the service manager
wanted to ask me a question. After an introduction the manager asked: "where
is the fuse box and relays". He said they (his staff) searched everywhere
and couldn't find them. When they observed me lifting the carpet and pulling
up that totally inconspicuous flat black cover they were shocked.

So unless your vandals we're experienced DeLorean thieves I'm very surprised
at their discovery of the hidden electrical compartment.

DMC Joe

Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 22:45:51 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Vandalized D

I sorta agree with you...
but no one covers up a crappy car... so if I were a curious individual I
might wonder what is so special that it is covered up.
Also, the cover provided a nice place to hide under and not be seen while
inside, and
most likely they will end up shredding your cover too costing you more
money.

I think the best thing is a good alarm, one with a two way pager system then
beeps and vibrates.
These pagers are just little keychains, the good thing is that they usually
have an auto start
and a lot of other goodies too.

Don't get me wrong, I think people who park outside need car covers for when
ever the
weather kicks in, I cover mine up in the weather but I am not going to cover
it up when
I am at the mall.
People don't pay attention to car alarms at the mall, but if they are REALLY
loud, and
coming out of a DeLorean they might.
The key is to get the right alarm that doesn't go off everytime some kid
presses his
nose against the glass, it needs to be tuned to take a real shock or
pressure change.
The DeLorean that cries "wolfe" is as bad as one that is silent.
You need to spend a few bucks and get the GOOD alarm and have it
professionally installed.

Also, at the house, get a VIDEO CAMERA and hook it up to a monitor and
recorder.
Put it next to your desk.
Mine even has audio, so I can turn up the sound and hear what is going on.
Actually, mine has a small built in speaker intercom and I can talk back
through the camera.
>From here at the command center that is my office I can see the front of the
house,
the cars and the horses.
I can switch between them and record images.
SAM'S CLUB sells some great systems cheap, and even sell a digital hard
drive recorder with
a Sony Memory Stick slot for saving and printing images, I think it's less
than $300.00

Remember, people with a vendetta who vandalize will sometimes come back for
seconds after
you have made the repairs... sometimes it is almost worth the damage to
catch the SOB.
I would tell you more, but I can not on the grounds in which it might
incriminate me :>

- Videobob

Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 04:53:11 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Damaged DeLoreans

(Sorry about your roof too).

In the past 30 days, wind and ice have zapped 3 Southern DeLoreans:
- Myself (Q Panel)
- Derek (Hood)
- Joe (Fender & Windshield)
Ordinarily, life south of the Line is good...

Unfortunately not all owners have garages. Even parking in the clear
is no guarantee of protection (Derek and I both were hit by objects
originating far from the vehicles). This is yet another hazard (along
with vandalism, collisions, etc) of treating DeLoreans as they were
meant to be -- roadable machines in service on public thoroughfares,
not static museum displays.

The question is: would any of us really want it any other way? Fixing
damage is no fun -- trust me, I'm in the middle of it myself -- but
I'm exceedingly glad to have driven my car so many miles before The
Limb, and I look forward to doing so many more after repairs are
completed. Much preferrable over locking the car away like a Ming
Dynasty vase.

I just wish in hindsight I had parked another foot over...

Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 05:14:45 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Need help (DeLorean Electrical System Weaknesses)

Overall wire gauge is too small. Some fused circuits, such as #8, are
badly designed (a catch-all for everything that was left?) and
"normally" operate at the limits of safety. Unfused headlight switch
is just plain negligent. DeLorean electrical systems are salvageable,
but far from optimal as they left the factory. Even devices that may
never actually burst into flame, such as A/C panel bulbs, still cause
damage to the vehicles.

I have personal experience with several other contemporary marques
that suffer no such electrical maladies, and remain in daily service
with none of the component attention and replacement required by a
DeLorean.

>--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_s...> wrote:
>
> David,
> With all due respect, you make the electrical system sound like a total
> basket case. Yes it has a few problems but some of them are self
induced.....I don't know of any mass market car manufactures of that time will make a bullet proof wiring system.

Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 08:15:12 -0000
From: "gzapf" <x86Daddy_at_dml_myrealbox.com>
Subject: Sealed Relays for door lock module?

I plan to perform some of the normal upgrades to my door lock module,
and have seen pointers to use a hermetically sealed, higher rated pair
of relays to replace the originals.  I'd very much like to persue a
"fix it once" solution like this, but have no clue as to what I'm
looking for on that relay.  Does anyone know of a part they're happy
with for this?  Preferably one that will fit in the original lock
module casing... otherwise relays triggering outside relays seems as
elegant.

Thanks,
--Greg

Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 23:19:45 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Frequency valve Qs

Dan,
The FV is like an injector spraying fuel back into the return line going to
the tank as told to by the Lambda system ( 02 ). It relives the pressure in
the lower chamber of the fuel distributor which in turn leans or enriches
the fuel going to the injectors. Poor performance, hard to start. Normally
if it's buzz zing it's ok. Before I would replace it I would replace the 02
sensor and see what happens. They very seldom go out.

Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 07:17:40 -0500
From: "Tom Watkins" <dmctom_at_dml_earthlink.net>
Subject: Which Magazine is best?

By far you should get DCS Magazine and Gullwing Magazine.  I also subscribe to the wonderful publication by DMCH "deloreans".  If you can afford all 3 then by all means do it.  They are fun, informative and have great articles.   Some don't like the blatant advertisment of "deloreans" as nothing but a marketing tool but I have been able to do some work on my car because of articles in there that I would not have been able to do.   I think it's great.

Lastly there is DW or DeLorean World by the DOA.  This one is up for debate as it has shifted focus to more of a lifestyle, travel mag.  Rumor is there are new editors on board so that may change.  My opinion is that they charge way too much for what you get.   Being a DOA member IMHO doesn't have the impact it did during it's heyday in the 80's + early 90's as they dropped thier local chapters around the country.  You really need to be living in Southern California to really take advantage of it.    If you've got the extra $75 (?) check it out, but for me, 4 mags for that much is not worth it.  Sorry DOA....drop your price and you may entice more of us back..........

Tom Watkins
dmctom_at_dml_earthlink.net
Why Wait? Move to EarthLink.

Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 14:40:24 -0000
From: "Jennifer Moe" <jennymoe4_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Thanks for the Info!

Hey Thanks everyone for all the information on the safety of the
DeLorean.  I know I really shouldn't care about what this guy says
but it really bugged me. I have wanted a DeLorean since I was 8 and
now that I am 25 I have one and I thought that was a pretty decent
accomplishment and to have this yahoo "rain on my parade", so to
speak, just rubbed me wrong.  So I wanted some info so when I pull
out my DeLorean this spring and if he makes just one comment, I am
going to take out my packet of info and give it too him. Then I'll
say in the sweetest voice "you were mis-informed".  Might not change
his mind but it would definitely make my day!

I love learning new things about my car so thanks again, I really
appreciated the effort everyone put in!

Looking forward to spring,
Jennifer

Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 09:26:40 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 1/30/05 10:05:34 PM Central Standard Time, 5n-_at_dml_gmx.net
writes:

> I've seen some DeLoreans in pictures with additional ground effects
> attached to the bottom of the air dam, and bottom of the rockers. Are
> these available anywhere? -----Dani B. #5003

Call PJ Grady. About $1000 painted black for all 4 sides.

Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 15:47:51 -0000
From: "Charlesdos Mavor" <charlesmajor_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Remove engine cover and Hinges

I want to take off my hinges to both of the engine covers and
repaint them as some rust is forming. Where to access and remove?
Hate to be pulling off some SS skin if I dont need to.
Thanks
Charles 16835

Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 15:23:43 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

The underlying purpose of my last post was to point out that the
electrical system can't be ignored. With some preventitive
maintainence and a few upgrades it can be made safe and reliable. Even
then it needs constant watching. On too many occasions I have shown
the fuse area to owners and they comment "I didn't even know that was
there!". I have seen a fan fail bypass melt down. We all have seen a
melted out #7 fuse. I agree that some of the problems are "self
induced" meaning that with a minimal amount of attention they could
have been prevented. IMHO the wiring of the Delorean was minimalist at
best. Now with 20 + years of neglect it needs to have some attention
to keep it working. The upgrades you and other vendors provide are
fancy Band-Aids for a poorly designed system. I don't have an argument
with Band-Aids. They serve a valuable purpose. No one is going to rip
out a functioning electrical system to rewire the car. It is just that
whether you admit it or not the wiring system (on a system level) is
less than optimum. Add to that age related deterioration and previous
owner wiring mods and you have a recipe for failure. I still see cars
riding on the origional fan fail relay and the OE door lock module and
these people are not driving a concours queen! By warning readers on
the List it can only help your (and other vendor's) business by
getting owners to upgrade the wiring system. No one wants to hear
about another car melted down. If the wiring system in a Delorean is
not maintained and upgraded then IMHO it IS a "basket case". I don't
see these kinds of problems on other old cars except the ones from the
UK. You generally find the name Lucas on some of the electrical parts.

Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 16:26:57 -0000
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

Michael, I know it's too late for ideas, however, if you or anyone has
to park their DeLorean outside overnight, you could try to ask a
trusted friend to keep it in their garage, (if they have the space).

I've had offers without even asking!  Big surprise...

I'm deeply sorry about your car.  There's no excuse for this kind of
behavior.

Johnny