From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2459
Date: Tuesday, February 01, 2005 6:59 PM

1. Re: Sealed Relays for door lock module?
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

2. Lambda system/duty cycle
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>

3. The Rare Deloreans
From: "delorean02378" <delorean02378_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Re: Re: Damaged DeLoreans
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Fuel Distributor Problems
From: "Namlemez" <thecal_at_dml_optonline.net>

6. Detroit AutoRama 3/4,5,6/05 Delorean?
From: "vin00538" <lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net>

7. Re: Vandalized D
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

8. Re: Frequency valve Qs
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

9. Re: Need help (Minimalist DeLorean Electrical System)
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

10. Alternative Method To Read DML
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

11. RE: Re: Need help (Electrical Failure Starting A Fire)
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

12. RE: Sealed Relays for door lock module?
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

13. Re: Re: Trailing Arm Bolts
From: "Roland Smith" <roland_at_dml_dnai.com>

14. Re: Vandalized D
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

15. RE: Proto 1 Looking for flap sander
From: "Kevin Milliken" <kevin.milliken_at_dml_btinternet.com>

16. Re: Vandalized D
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Privacy and Yahoo Groups
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. EPOXY COATING ON FRAMES
From: "Carl Davis" <carldavis_at_dml_familykia.com>

19. Re: Fuel Distributor Problems
From: "Mike Polzin" <MPolzin_at_dml_sen.com>

20. James Personett
From: "Adam Lee" <delorean852003_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. RE: The Rare Deloreans
From: "Dom Diaz" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>

22. Re: Re: Trailing Arm Bolts
From: "Dom Diaz" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>

23. Re: The Rare Deloreans
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

24. Fuel pump filter
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

25. Re: Can't Get Reverse With My D Manual Transmission (DMC Joe)
From: mike p <cambpd_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 23:23:41 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com
Subject: Re: Sealed Relays for door lock module?

Greg - The original relays inside the lock module are quite under-
rated for the load that the solenoids demand.  We have new 40amp
relays with the correct pin configuration that will replace the
originals perfectly.  The relays we currently stock are of the "open
air" variety, although we can get sealed units with the same
interfaces and the same load rating.  Please let us know if we can
help.  Thanks.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "gzapf" <x86Daddy_at_dml_m...> wrote:

> I plan to perform some of the normal upgrades to my door lock
module, and have seen pointers to use a hermetically sealed, higher
rated pair of relays to replace the originals.  I'd very much like to
persue a "fix it once" solution like this, but have no clue as to
what I'm looking for on that relay.

Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 15:21:18 -0800
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>
Subject: Lambda system/duty cycle

Just got the car back from the shop after having the heads fixed where
they had corroded through. Runs great now except for one thing.

It was running a bit rich so I hooked up the trusty dwell meter to set
the CO mixture and discovered that the duty cycle stays steady at about
54 percent or so. I can adjust the mixture until it leans out and dies
or till black smoke is billowing out the tail pipes and the duty cycle
stays the same. It's like the ECU has went into limp home mode for some
reason. The O2 probe is only a year and a half old. I pulled the wire
on it and adjusted the mixture until the voltage was about 720 mV and
it idles smooth but the the duty cycle remains in limp home mode and
the exhaust still smells a bit rich. I checked the continuity on the
WOT switch and it is working fine as is the idle speed microswitch.
It's idling steady at about 750 rpms and not idle seeking.

Where should  I begin looking?

Phil Priestley
Alessandros Restaurant
http://alessandros120.com/
(503)370-9951
1(866)225-7985

Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 01:54:59 -0000
From: "delorean02378" <delorean02378_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: The Rare Deloreans

After being glued to Speed TV all weekend watching the muscle,
concept and custom cars sell for crazy amounts, it got me thinking
about the rare Deloreans and how much they're worth.

We all saw the Proto 1 Delorean sell for 100K or more a few weeks
back.

What's up with the Gold Delorean in Snydor Texas? Is it for sale yet?
I remember reading that it could not be sold until the youngest
grandchild reached the age of 30. The site also mentioned that it was
for sale $175,000. The first time I read that I thought the price was
crazy but after seeing the auction this weekend, that's actually not
bad.
A Delorean that has zero miles, 1 of two gold Deloreans built in the
factory, never had gas in the tank and it's been in an enclosed glass
case. I'd say that's pretty rare.

What other Deloreans are out there that would bring over 100k?

Kirk
Vin# 02378

Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 15:32:50 -0800 (PST)
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Damaged DeLoreans

--- content22207 <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net> wrote:

> In the past 30 days, wind and ice have zapped 3
> Southern DeLoreans:
> - Myself (Q Panel)
> - Derek (Hood)
> - Joe (Fender & Windshield)
> Ordinarily, life south of the Line is good...
>
> Unfortunately not all owners have garages.

I agree with your points.  My DeLorean sits outside
24/7; I have no garage.  I have been great friends
with everyone that lives around me, so alot of people
keep their eyes on my car for me when I'm not around.
I have my DeLorean parked near the management office
where there almost always is a fresh set of eyes.
We've had some people heavily partying very close to
the area my DeLorean is parked in; I just have faith
that the residents will keep their friends on a leash.
 If not, someone other than me will pay for it.  Now 2
weeks ago, we did have a sizeable windstorm with winds
averaging at times 45-55 mph.  Since my area was hit
by Ivan just 3 months ago and I park under trees
(which may still be weak or have weak branches), I
moved both my vehicles from their normal parking
spots.  Nothing happened but still...no chances..

Last night, someone's Nissan Sentra was involved in a
hit and run rear end while sitting in its parking
spot, crushing its rear lense and damaging the rear
bumper...maybe at most 30 feet at almost a 90 degree
angle from where my DeLorean sits.  After reading
about the DeLorean recently vandalized and than seeing
that Nissan nailed pretty badly in under 30 minutes, I
lost a hour of sleep or so =P.  That's ok; I woke up
at 10 today =P.

I think I'll be reutilizing my car cover...out of
sight out of mind..

Jeremiah

Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 02:49:58 -0000
From: "Namlemez" <thecal_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Fuel Distributor Problems

Hey,

Long-time reader, first time making a substantive post :).  I've
looked through all the tech files I could find here and on
www.dmcnews.com but haven't found something like this.  Has anyone
ever experienced an unresponsive throttle?  The D starts up and idles
fine but won't accelerate when giving it more throttle.  Am thinking
it might just need a replacement but thought maybe someone had heard
of this before...

Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 03:07:38 -0000
From: "vin00538" <lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net>
Subject: Detroit AutoRama 3/4,5,6/05 Delorean?

Hello Everyone,
I have been awaiting a reply from the MHRA judges for the Detroit AutoRama Car
Show. Well, I still haven't had a reply But, I did get a comment from the man whom
runs the show & his response was, " I would love to see a De Lorean up close, I'll
see what I can do", I told him this is the 3rd year I've tried to register this car in this
show.  I will post the very moment I get a confirmation either way. I hope to see you
at autorama March 4th-6th 2005 With my vin# 00538. Lawrence Michigan

Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 02:51:25 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: Vandalized D

It's the wheels. They're very distinctive. I had the exact same
thing happen a few nights ago with a plumbing contractor. He asked
what I had, but he really knew already.

Still, it may keep ignorant, young punks away who are just out
commiting "boredom vandalism". Likely, they won't know what it is.

Rich A.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Hank <heskin_at_dml_g...> wrote:

> > When you put a good tied-down or locked cover on your D, you
hide the make,model, and most distinguishing characteristics of the car.

Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 03:21:25 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Frequency valve Qs

Are these the same freqency valves the Lamborghini uses?
My frequency valve is silent and is just lookin rough, thats why I'm
curious to know if it is working or not. I'm not sure about
performance or hard starting because the car is resting for the
winter-I don't drive it regularly, but when I do start it up, it fires
right up. I can tell you when I did have the car on the road, it would
never start (hot or cold) until I turned my distributor very CCW-then
would start right up (but run rougher) now it is a
little CW from center after engine work to give smoothe idle-starts
fine, but then again-it is winter and no daily driving. Since the
connector broke on the FV I have no idea if I connected the right wire
to the
right terminal, does this matter? When I disconnect this with the
engine running there is no difference; I should have disconnected it
before starting the engine to see what happens. Thanks for the help!
-----Dani
B. #5003

> Dan,
> The FV is like an injector spraying fuel back into the return line
going to the tank as told to by the Lambda system ( 02 ). It relives the
pressure in the lower chamber of the fuel distributor which in turn leans or
enriches the fuel going to the injectors. Poor performance, hard to start.
Normally if it's buzz zing it's ok.

Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 03:36:25 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Need help (Minimalist DeLorean Electrical System)

Without starting a flame war Re: British Automobiles...

DeLoreans also fit comfortably into a major paradigm shift in domestic
auto manufacturing that occurred at the same time (1980 onwards). For
three and a half decades following WW II, vehicles were basically over
engineered. Every system on the car (cooling, electrical, lubricating,
etc) left the factory with significantly greater capacity than needed,
to accomodate inevitable deterioration from impure fluids, leaded
gasoline, pourous filter media, crude electricals, etc. Was not
uncommon for those systems to be operating at 33%-50% of original
design spec at the end of their service life.

Plastic manufacturing also did not come into its own until the late
70's (that's why earlier cast components are made of white metal --
imperfect but still longer lasting than plastic).

Add to this general inertia from not re-engineering designs that
pre-date the two fuel crises, and you end up with cars that are
basically bullet proof on today's fluids & filters. Those of us loudly
trumpeting our vintage steeds need to remember that they might not
operate as well if we weren't running them in a 2005 maintenance
environment.

DeLoreans rode the wave of "new" engineering, now perfected in Saturns
et al. Every system on the car is designed to operate within narrow
tolerances. Items previously made of metal (such as bumpers and
grilles) are now made of plastic. Ditto for interior fittings. In fact
much of the car is designed to be "clipped" together rather than
screwed or bolted. And the fasteners that are used tend to be 20%
smaller (for 35 years 3/8-16" was the American standard -- basically
analogous to 10mm).

It is no more realistic to expect a 1981 DeLorean to continue
operating without significant maintenance demands than it is to expect
a 1983 Escort or a 1985 Cavalier not require the same.

Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 03:59:27 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Alternative Method To Read DML

For members reading the List via direct eMail, and finding
dissatisfaction with the volume of messages (at least regarding
certain topics):

DML can be read online via Yahoo's Groups website
(groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews). Messages are sorted reverse
interest. This also allows reading the List from any web accessible
computer anytime/anyplace.

Be aware that replies sent from the website go to the moderator to be
posted broadband.

Also be aware that direct eMail is still an option from the website --
edit your member profile to turn it off.

Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 23:09:41 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Need help (Electrical Failure Starting A Fire)

David,
Sometimes it's not what people say it's how they say it.
What's wrong with: Like in any 20 + year old car the electrical system needs
to be worked over and then offer what needs to be done.
Sorry, But I take exception with what you say that vendors offer ( fancy
band-aids ).
I feel some vendors like myself and others if we can't improve the item or
design it better then why would I offer the same old thing like some are
doing with the same old fuse box and the same old headlight switch. There is
no improvement, it's the same old thing that will do the same old thing,
Burn up or melt down.
I think over 250 + alternators sold world wide speaks for it's self. I feel
Bob Zilla with no telling how many Fan Zilla would feel the same way.
Bosch is the main items used in the electrical system and work fine if
proper maintenance is performed, But it's like I said, most people wait till
something happens before they address a potential problem.
I tell people all the time that one of the best things they can do is get
the electrical system up-graded starting with the battery and alternator.
Batteries new or not needs to be checked to see if it's under 12.66 volts.
Pumps, Fans, Blower motors are designed to operate at certain voltages and
when the electrical system is neglected the parts draw more current. I have
seen new batteries shorted and under voltage.
Your knowledge of the Delorean is vast so why not offer what needs to be
done short sweet and simple, then a lot of the problems will go away.

From: David Teitelbaum [mailto:jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net]

The underlying purpose of my last post was to point out that the
electrical system can't be ignored. With some preventitive
maintainence and a few upgrades it can be made safe and reliable. Even
then it needs constant watching. On too many occasions I have shown
the fuse area to owners and they comment "I didn't even know that was
there!". I have seen a fan fail bypass melt down. We all have seen a
melted out #7 fuse. I agree that some of the problems are "self
induced" meaning that with a minimal amount of attention they could
have been prevented. IMHO the wiring of the Delorean was minimalist at
best. Now with 20 + years of neglect it needs to have some attention
to keep it working. The upgrades you and other vendors provide are
fancy Band-Aids for a poorly designed system. I don't have an argument
with Band-Aids. They serve a valuable purpose. No one is going to rip
out a functioning electrical system to rewire the car. It is just that
whether you admit it or not the wiring system (on a system level) is
less than optimum. Add to that age related deterioration and previous
owner wiring mods and you have a recipe for failure. I still see cars
riding on the origional fan fail relay and the OE door lock module and
these people are not driving a concours queen! By warning readers on
the List it can only help your (and other vendor's) business by
getting owners to upgrade the wiring system. No one wants to hear
about another car melted down. If the wiring system in a Delorean is
not maintained and upgraded then IMHO it IS a "basket case". I don't
see these kinds of problems on other old cars except the ones from the
UK. You generally find the name Lucas on some of the electrical parts.

> David,
> With all due respect, you make the electrical system sound like a total
> basket case. Yes it has a few problems but some of them are self
induced.

Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 23:21:00 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Greg, Martin in the UK has stated he has a sealed relay to use in the lock
module. I don't know if he is mounting them internal or external. They
should be 30 to 40 amp contact rating if possible and with the absents of
air the relay will last longer. I have a up-graded relay for a direct mount
on the PC board, but under the current draw of the solenoids and the age
won't last forever. Don't use a 40 amp CB. That will add to the problem. Use
a 10 or 15 amp.

From: gzapf [mailto:x86Daddy_at_dml_myrealbox.com]
Subject: [DML] Sealed Relays for door lock module?

I plan to perform some of the normal upgrades to my door lock module,
and have seen pointers to use a hermetically sealed, higher rated pair
of relays to replace the originals.  Does anyone know of a part they're happy
with for this?  Preferably one that will fit in the original lock
module casing... otherwise relays triggering outside relays seems as
elegant.

Thanks,
--Greg

Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 21:47:01 -0800
From: "Roland Smith" <roland_at_dml_dnai.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Trailing Arm Bolts

I was charged $325.  They did not want to take the project on but did so
because I am a good customer having them service all four of my cars.

I have no other repair service in and around Oakland, California.

Best regards,
Roland Smith

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: [DML] Re: Trailing Arm Bolts

Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 07:48:47 -0000
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

Do like on that Toyota(I think thats what it was) commercial,where
that guy works in a office in a bad neighborhood,and has to park his
new Toyota on the street,he has a car cover over it with a P.O.S.
primered and rusty colored chevy Citation,PAINTED onto the car
cover,so for all intents and purposes, it seems like a P.O.S.
primered and rusty colored Chevy Citation parked there instead of the
shiney new Toyota,until he pulls off the car cover,then "volla" out
pops a shiney new toyota,when the car cover is removed.

On the other question about side skirts,you can use the same ones
(NOS)that are used on  1987 or older Lotus Espirits .

Claude

Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 15:00:02 -0000
From: "Kevin Milliken" <kevin.milliken_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: RE: Proto 1 Looking for flap sander

Hi Tony

Flap Wheel, Stainless Steel Grainer

I have pulled out all the original details on the Grainer which I had to get
to take out some nasty marks out of my Delorean. It is not a domestic type
flap wheel, but a industrial piece of equipment which attaches to the end of
a drill. The Grainer is about 150 mm in diameter and the cutting width is
approx 40 mm.

The unit weighs about 1.3 kilos when assembled. There are 12 abrasive strips
together with  brush backing. The abrasive strips are replaceable as are the
brushes. The abrasive strips are split through the length or can be solid. I
have used the slit ones.

The abrasive I used was a 60 grit but range from 60 through to 180 possibly
320.

The cost of the complete item when I bought mine was about 200 (the main
cost is the grainer itself) this includes a full set of abrasives strips and
brushes together with a shaft that is required that fits on the unit as
well.

If and may be a few others are interested I then will see about getting a
batch specially made. The company that made them lost out and were owed
quite a lot of money when things went wrong, but are interested from a
historic point of view and the original people involved have retired long
since.

Regards
Kevin

From: dmcproto1 [mailto:DMCPROTO1_at_dml_aol.com]
Subject: [DML] Proto 1 Looking for flap sander
Before the restoration of Proto 1 starts I would like to find an original
DMC dealer flap sander. I was told that it is an air tool that all the dealers
had. If anyone knows of one I could buy it would help out a great deal.

Thanks,
Tony

Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 15:15:28 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Weird isn't it?

When I first got my 83 D several years ago I asked a few friends if
they could guess what was under the cover in my garage. And
amazingly they guessed a Delorean as well. These were 4x4 truck guys
who weren't really into sports cars, and they still guessed it first
try. Is the shape of the car THAT unique to even give it away under
an obscure grey car cover?

I'm obviously not the only one who has had the art of surprise
ruined by the unique shape of the car.

Joe OBrien

Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 07:51:50 -0800 (PST)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Privacy and Yahoo Groups

 Moderators:  Though off topic, I thought this might
be of interest to the group.  I got this from another
yahoo group I belong to , The Aircooled Volkswagon
Group.

http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo

Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 10:56:36 -0500
From: "Carl Davis" <carldavis_at_dml_familykia.com>
Subject: EPOXY COATING ON FRAMES

 Hello, I was wondering if there was a problem with applying POR-14, type
 product directly over good epoxy?   I have sections of my frame that the
epoxy appears to be in good condition, but there are small sections where
 its starting to chip/flake off, I was wondering about coating the frame
 with the POR-14, and wanted to see if the epoxy would have to be removed
first. Thanks for any info.

Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 12:31:40 -0600
From: "Mike Polzin" <MPolzin_at_dml_sen.com>
Subject: Re: Fuel Distributor Problems

Well, this could be a number of things, however a friend of mine had a
similar problem and it turned out that his injectors were so bad that when
you hit the gas it just sputtered along. The car idled like a champ.

But before I discovered this I checked the entire car over for vaccuum
leaks, which can also cause this sort of condition if there is a massive
one.

Best of Luck!

Mike Polzin

Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 06:05:59 -0000
From: "Adam Lee" <delorean852003_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: James Personett

Hi List-

  I have found the name of the original owner of my Delorean. He
lived in the Spring, TX area many years ago. I am hoping that one of
you may know him or how to get in contact with him. He posted only
once on the DML in 1995. (He was selling a rear quarter panel at the
request of a currrent DMC owner). Please let me know if you have any
info about him or my car. His name is James C. Personett.

Thanks,
Adam E. Lee

Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 14:10:16 -0500
From: "Dom Diaz" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: The Rare Deloreans

'Never had gas in the tank' is not accurate, nor is your location of that
car. I viewed both Gold cars in July (the articles are in DCS magazine,
plug-plug). They both were running at one time. I think the Snyder one has
7(?) miles on it? I have the details in my notes. The car has been sold
(err, donated sorta) to a museum. The glass case was not airtight. Read this
installment of DCS and the next for more details.

My question is, who has the one that Legend completed in-house? The one that
was the subject of the Road and Track story years later about the editor
that got to drive it at Legend before they went under?

Dom Diaz

Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 14:16:11 -0500
From: "Dom Diaz" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Isn't that close (relatively) to Delorean Motor Center? I've really like
their service and knowledge.

Dom

Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 19:41:20 -0000
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Off the top of my head, I would have to say a restored #502 would
fetch a little more than that.
Harry vin #2696

Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 19:20:35 -0000
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: Fuel pump filter

Group,
If you have the Special T Auto new up-dated fuel baffle system that
uses the filter on the bottom of the pump.I now have a new filter
set up I'm offering to those for free + $4.00 postage. Then you can
replace the filter for only $5.00 with out having to spend $16.95 or
more with vendors and myself included. I will still supply the old
or original filter. Due to my link length and it gets cut off, goto
the fuel components page to view.

Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 11:59:12 -0800 (PST)
From: mike p <cambpd_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Can't Get Reverse With My D Manual Transmission (DMC Joe)

Thanks for the information DMC Joe!  I haven't been on
this site for a while and was very pleased to see your
helpful.  I'm going to reference the shop manual
tonite and try for a repair.