From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2463
Date: Thursday, February 03, 2005 4:52 PM

1. Re: Rare Deloreans
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

2. Re: The Rare Deloreans
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

3. Re: Re: The Rare Deloreans
From: "Alistair McCann" <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>

4. Manual transmission - hard shifting when cold
From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>

5. Car stereo resource
From: "dmcox_sd" <dmcox_at_dml_tfb.com>

6. Re: Brief DeLorean Flashback - Car & Driver.com
From: "p12c16" <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

7. Re: The Rare Deloreans
From: "p12c16" <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

8. Re: Re: The Rare Deloreans
From: Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>

9. Unwanted ground- Where to look?
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

10. Re: Rare Deloreans
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

11. Re: Re: Trailing Arm Bolts
From: Owen Emry <owen_at_dml_aerodrome.us>

12. BTTF Trilogy
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

13. Re: Vandalized D
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

14. RE: Proto 1 Looking for flap sander
From: "Gary Hull" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

15. Re: Re: Trailing Arm Bolts
From: "Roland Smith" <roland_at_dml_dnai.com>

16. Magazine $$
From: "gullwingmag" <gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

17. Re: BTTF Trilogy
From: Owen Emry <owen_at_dml_aerodrome.us>

18. Re: Unwanted ground- Where to look?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

19. Re: The Rare Deloreans
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

20. Re: Unwanted ground- Where to look?
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

21. Re: Re: Brief DeLorean Flashback - Car & Driver.com
From: "Tamir Ardon" <tamir_at_dml_entermyworld.com>

22. Audio system solutions?
From: ComposerZelgadis_at_dml_aol.com

23. Re: Re: Brief DeLorean Flashback - Car & Driver.com
From: "Michael C. Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>

24. Re: BTTF Trilogy
From: "Chris Williams" <chris_at_dml_cwilliams68.fsnet.co.uk>

25. Re: Re: Brief DeLorean Flashback - Car & Driver.com
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 14:33:33 -0500
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Rare Deloreans

Thanks
 The $15 also gets you on the Newsletter list and if you come to the show it makes it easier to register.
If I could get the volume of Playboy I could go below $12 - LOL -   but we have to do it on a laser printer so maybe someday we will become a major publication LOL

Thanks again

ken

Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 19:43:31 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: Re: The Rare Deloreans

The last I heard, this car was in Sunbury, PA.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_c...>

Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 20:18:18 -0000
From: "Alistair McCann" <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Re: The Rare Deloreans

Well the pre-production were VIN'S# PILOT22 - PILOT28

These cars were the demo cars for the 50k mile tests in Ireland but this is
also strange as VIN# 514 (the one in the ulster folk and transport musem)
was also used as a test car????

What classes a Delorean as being rare??

Alistair McCann
VIN# PILOT25

Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 20:45:46 +0100
From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>
Subject: Manual transmission - hard shifting when cold

Hello everyone!

I need some advice about what to do with my problem... how to fix it. I'd
like to know where to look for the problem before I start tearing things
apart. I appreciate any help in advance.
The problem is as follows: When the engine is cold and running it is
difficult to shift into 1st and very difficult to shift into 2nd. The
problem is worst when the car is moving, it's easier to shift when the car
is stationary. The problem is especially apparent when it's below freezing -
it is pretty severe now as it's pretty cold with lots of snow here in
Poland.
Once the engine warms up a bit the problem goes away and shifting is very
smooth and precise. All other gears are ok. It's very annoying not being
able to shift into 2nd. Sometimes its just impossible when the car is moving
(even if its less than walking pace). When it stops the problem goes away,
but then I need shift to 1st.
I have replaced the transmission oil not long ago, and I just checked the
level to make sure I didn't loose the oil. It's fine. And YES, I used the
correct oil for the manual transmission.
The car has 30k miles on it, but I don't know how good the previous owner
was with the manual trans.
Any help is appreciated.

Tom Niemczewski
jamesik_at_dml_vp.pl
VIN 6149 (in Poland!)

Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 20:19:20 -0000
From: "dmcox_sd" <dmcox_at_dml_tfb.com>
Subject: Car stereo resource

I stumbled across this web site: www.cartoys.com  I don't know
anything about them, but they have a vehicle search that is suppossed
to tell you what speakers and radios will fit in your vehicle.  The
Delorean is included in that list.  I'm not much of a stereo guy, so
I don't know if their recommendations are any good, but I thought I
should share this with everyone.

Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 20:22:03 -0000
From: "p12c16" <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Brief DeLorean Flashback - Car & Driver.com

Thats what I like to see---A DeLorean ahead of the Ferrari (308?), the Porsche, The
Corvette, and the Datsun on the track.  Great picture, too bad it isn't bigger.

Patrick
1880

Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 20:27:21 -0000
From: "p12c16" <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

Some things I recall seeing on VIN 502 were that the VIN plate on the dash looked
different, and was stainless colored with the DMC logo and it said DeLorean Motor Cars
Dunmurry, Northern Ireland.  Also I recall seeinng the latch for the louvres was stainless
and the DMC Logo was on that as well.  Also, the glove box lid had no latch to open it, it
was perfectly flat, and I believe to open it there was a release down near the trunk release.
I am pretty sure this is 502 I am remembering, if not, there was a car with all of these
features at Pigeon Forge.

Patrick

Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 15:45:58 -0500
From: Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>

Speaking of Johnny Carson's DeLorean, I just got word that it was
featured on the local CBS news broadcast last night here in Cleveland.
I don't have a link to any online footage, but if I find one I will post it.

For those who don't know, Johnny's DeLorean is in the Canton Classic Car
Museum.  It appeared at Ken's 2000 DeLorean Car Show in Cleveland.

Say what you want about the rarity of Johnny's car, but its fame did
earn it a few minutes on television last night.  I think that counts for
something.

- Mike Substelny
from sunny Cleveland

Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 22:50:01 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Unwanted ground- Where to look?

My car has started blowing the #12 fuse (dome lights, courtesy
lights, glove box, luggage and engine compartments)

I have not tapped into this circuit to power any peripheral devices.

Obviously one of the "hot" wires is grounded somewhere and I'll end
up tracing these hand-over-hand. I'm just wondering if anyone knows
of a common fraying/rubbing point that could speed up the search?

Thanks in advance,

Rich A.

Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 18:46:09 -0500
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

When our subscription rates get into the numbers that Playboy has, our
magazine (DCS) will sell for less!  Only reason it's so high, is because
of the printing costs having to be covered by less people.  Tell
everyone you know to subscribe, and the price will plummet!

Josh
Assistant Editor
DCS Magazine

Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 15:52:21 -0800
From: Owen Emry <owen_at_dml_aerodrome.us>
Subject: Re: Re: Trailing Arm Bolts

It's a 5-6 hour drive.  Not that close.  Yeah, just did it myself.  :)

Regards,
Owen

Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 00:18:29 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: BTTF Trilogy

I was in Costco today getting new tires for a non-Delorean and was
just looking around. They are selling the BTTF Trilogy for $17.99 on
DVD. If anyone hasn't got it yet, it ain't gonna get any cheaper. And
if you still don't have a DVD player they have them as low as $69.
There is a bunch of extra stuff on the DVD that was not released on
the VHS tape if you are at all interested in the movie.

Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 20:43:12 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Vandalized D

racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com writes:

> I can't fathom taking my car to a show and telling every lookie-loo who
> asks a  question "sorry, can't tell you that. Please admire the car from no closer than a 3 meter distance."

Rich,

What I meant was perhaps he showed an onlooker how he wired up his alarm
system.  He noted that the wiring for it was wrecked in the fuse box area and the horns were disconnected.

Something like that I would avoid showing a random person.  Anything
else that has to do with the car itself is AOK.

I didn't mean to make it sound the way you read it.

Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 18:45:24 -0800
From: "Gary Hull" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>
Subject: RE: Proto 1 Looking for flap sander

My DeLorean dealer original ARO unit is marked
Model# 8067E1S   Serial# 4845F81   RPM 1000

The "S" on the Model# was struck harder and the 1000 on the RPM looks like
it was struck over the number 4500.

My guess would be that the "S" was for special, and the slower RPM was what
was Special.

I wonder if the F81 in the Serial# indicated February 1981.

The 1 1/2" wide, 12 brush "Wolfhead" sanding head was made by:
"Grinding & Polishing Machy. Corp. Indianapolis Indiana U.S.A"
Mine is SER. H 5195.

You can purchase "essentially" the same sanding head, shaft adapter, and
replacement sandpaper from them now.

They go by the name G&P Machinery, and the unit can be seen at:
http://www.gandpmachinery.com/wolf2.html.  Click on More Information and go
to the bottom of the page to see the 12-brush unit.

Members of the Pacific Northwest DeLorean Club www.PNDC.org can see and use
the unit at one of the tech Sessions held at my house, but as mentioned
earlier, the 80-Grit it came with is VERY aggressive, and should probably
only be used for re-graining damaged areas.

Gary
IN2TIME

Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 19:51:48 -0800
From: "Roland Smith" <roland_at_dml_dnai.com>

They are about 375 miles from Oakland.

Roland Smith
Oakland, California

From: "Dom Diaz" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [DML] Re: Trailing Arm Bolts

Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 04:39:27 -0000
From: "gullwingmag" <gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Magazine $$

Ken and Josh are correct... the DeLorean enthusiasts have to support
these magazines and it takes numbers to get the price down.

One disadvantage we have is that there are only so many advertisers
willing to place ads in a magazine with a small market.  That also
keeps the printing cost high.  Fortunatly, the DeLorean vendors all
participate in supporting these mags.

The number of subscribers for all three magazines put together
(Gullwing, DCS, and deloreans) isnt really enough to support one.
All of us have been trying to offer an alternative to DW, which seems
to be going further out into left field with every issue, but it
takes some numbers to get a better price.  Im sure Ken, Josh, and
James would agree.

If you can help support a magazine, do it.

Thats my soapbox for this evening.

Thanks, Ron
Gullwing Magazine

Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 21:06:25 -0800
From: Owen Emry <owen_at_dml_aerodrome.us>
Subject: Re: BTTF Trilogy

It's also available on half.com for as low as $16, in case you don't like supporting mega warehouse stores like Costco and Wal-Mart.
http://half.ebay.com/cat/buy/prod.cgi?cpid=1105928564&domain_id=1877&meta_id=3

Regards,
Owen

Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 05:10:39 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Unwanted ground- Where to look?

I would start with the light in the engine compartment. They melt and
the brass contacts inside can touch. Next make sure you did not cross
the wires going to the left door switches. One is for the lights and
the other for the buzzer. There are 4 wires but they are taped
together in 2 groups of 2. These are among the most common causes for
blowing #12. Of course any point along P (purple) can blow the fuse.
Remember that everything is "hot" until it is grounded at a switch.
This is not the way most cars do it. Most switch the power, on British
cars they interupt the ground.

Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 05:27:45 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

It is not so much that a particular Delorean is "rare" as much as it
is "special". This could mean pre-production (lower than vin 500) or
it could mean provenence as in the car has a special history like the
Johnny Carson car or the Gold Deloreans or the Legend cars. In most
cases if a car was owned by a celebrity it does affect it's value. As
an example take the car that was once driven by the Pope. It sold for
a lot more than it was worth as a car. In fact as part of the deal the
Pope gave the new owner the keys! Look at the auctions. If the car was
owned by somebody famous they go to great lengths to advertise it as
such. It matters a lot. BTW Johnny Carson never actually owned the
car, it was taken back by the receiver and sold. I am pretty sure but
Johnny never had it titled in his name but I don't think it diminishes
the value of the car anyway. It will always be known as HIS car. When
I saw it in Cleveland it was parked next to me and I was suprised at
the terrible condition it was in at the time. This was an early car
with the Ducy alternator. On Johnny's ride home it failed and the car
died. I hope it is in better condition now. As for the Gold cars, the
factory assembled the third out of the parts that were in parts
inventory. A door was missing so they had a door plated. It came out
several shades off. This is the 3rd Gold car and also the last vin #
car. I guess you can say it is one of the 83's.

Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 06:21:53 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

Rich - I would start out at the door switches themselves.  The
little pieces can easily move around to where you are getting
unwanted contact between parts.  A couple of our customers have run
across this recently, in terms of the switches loosening and the
contact pieces moving around a bit.  After that, the engine cover
switch would be my second vote.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC

Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 22:38:59 -0800
From: "Tamir Ardon" <tamir_at_dml_entermyworld.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Brief DeLorean Flashback - Car & Driver.com

For those that want to see the original article (with bigger pictures and
color), you can view it on my site under the ARTICLES section.  It is Car
and Driver, Dec.1981

http://www.entermyworld.com

Regards,
Tamir

Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 02:30:22 EST
From: ComposerZelgadis_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Audio system solutions?

Greetings, list!  Hopefully before too long here, I'll be taking  possession
of a 1981 DeLorean.  Good ol' DMCH has a pretty nifty mounting  bracket
available for installing standard DIN-sized radios and CD players, as  I'm sure most
everyone here has heard of.

My questions, unfortunately, are not all simple.  At least,  they don't seem
to be to me.  :)  I've never done much with car audio,  so I'm pretty
uncertain as to how everything works and is setup.  What I'm  looking to do is,
install four 6x9s in my car.  Two on the back parcel  shelf with a speaker box, and
two in the footwells.  I'd like to mate these  6x9s to an Alpine CDA-9833.

What 6x9s would one recommend?  Do I need an amplifier?  Any good  brands
worth mentioning?  I'm not looking for LOUD SOUND.  I'm looking  for good volume
(louder than the car's engine & wind noise, but not  head-banging loud), and
good clarity.  I'd also like to reduce the car's  overall wind & engine noise.
I believe SpecialTauto has a dampening  kit.  Does that really do the trick?
Or is there any other methods I  could employ to reduce overall traveling
noise?  Any suggestions?

The CDA-9833 has an overall peak output of 60 watts, and an RMS rating  of 26
watts.  Here's another question: Is 26 watts multiplied by the number  of
speakers?  Or is it divided?  For example, will each of my four  speakers be
getting 26 watts?  Or would each speaker get 6.5  watts? 6.5 x 4 = 26

Or am I misunderstanding the concept entirely?

Is there anything else at all that I should consider?

One thing I would like to mention is, I don't want any permanent mods made
to the car (and, if there has to be some, I would really like to keep them to a
 bare minimum).  I've already decided *not* to cut the factory mounting
bracket, and to just buy a custom one from DMCH.  Is there anything I  should know
before diving in?  If I decide to have the job professionally  done, what
should I look for in an installer?

And more importantly, how should I go about on doing this?

Thanks a ton, list!

-William F.

Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 08:03:45 -0500
From: "Michael C. Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>

http://www.babbtechnology.com/mags/CarDriver/car_and_driver2.htm Has a
bigger picture of the front cover of the mag with the D clearly in the
lead. ;)

I am working on revamping the website, and hope to have higher
resolution images up soon as well.

Michael - 3472

Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 09:21:18 -0000
From: "Chris Williams" <chris_at_dml_cwilliams68.fsnet.co.uk>

Yes I must agree with these comments below, there are some very
interesting extras. I have just purchased the boxed set
from 'www.choicesdirect.com' This company has this on offer at the
moment for only 14.99 inc free delivery. A very reasonable price
I'm sure you would agree for all uk users of this site.
Best wishes

Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 13:45:32 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

Heh heh - the DeLorean isn't ahead - it's getting lapped...

-------------- Original message from "p12c16" <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>: --------------