From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2464
Date: Thursday, February 03, 2005 8:49 PM

1. Catalytic Heat shield removal
From: "Dom Diaz" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>

2. Re: Manual transmission - hard shifting when cold
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

3. RE: Unwanted ground- Where to look?
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

4. Re: Proto 1 Looking for flap sander
From: "Bruce Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

5. Re: Magazine $$
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net>

6. Delroean Mid-Atlantic Club Spring Socail - Update
From: Kevin Abato <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

7. Re: BTTF Trilogy
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: The Rare Deloreans
From: "azman3us" <azman3us_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Re: BTTF Trilogy
From: "p12c16" <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

10. Re: Rare Deloreans
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

11. Re: Catalytic Heat shield removal
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

12. Re: The Rare Deloreans
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 09:43:35 -0500
From: "Dom Diaz" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Catalytic Heat shield removal

Any tricks to removing the Cat heat shield? I have to admit I didn't play
with it very long but the bolts seem to be on top of the shield UNDER the
Cat! Doesn't leave a lot of clearance for removal; Josh, can you help me out
on this one? Thanks!

Dom

Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 13:52:34 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Manual transmission - hard shifting when cold

This sounds like normal behavior Tom.  All of my
synchronized manual shift cars have harder shifts when the
gear oil is cold.  The reason is that the gear oil is more
viscous when it is cold, which means that it will not flow out
from between the synchro rings and the gear as easily,
making it harder to engage the gear.  The higher gears
have larger synchros, which makes it a little easier for the
gear oil to be forced out of the sychro.  That's why those
gears don't seem to be impacted as much.  As long as
you don't try to rush your gearshifts until the car warms
up, you should be fine.

Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 10:58:59 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: RE: Unwanted ground- Where to look?

Rich,

Start by checking the engine compartment lamp circuit.

DMC Joe

Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 10:02:29 -0600
From: "Bruce Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>
Subject: Re: Proto 1 Looking for flap sander

We bought a few ARO tools during the years I worked for Ford. My guess is
the distributor that supplied these to DeLorean re-geared them with gears
from another tool to achieve the desired speed. Aro made everything from air
feed drills to air logic controls. The company has changed ownership a few
times since 1981 and the parent company now has moved ARO from it's old home
town of Bryan, Ohio. I'm not sure where they're located now. Many times we'd
have a specific need for something not offered in catalogs and the local
distributor would modify a tool and stamp something that would signify to us
and the distributor what was changed. Actually any air tool with a chuck
capable of holding the flap sander head could be used. Just reducing the air
pressure to produce the desired RPM's is all that's necessary. High speeds
will produce a too smooth, too shinny surface and too slow will produce the
opposite. It just takes some experimenting.

Bruce Benson

Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 08:21:51 -0800
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net>
Subject: Re: Magazine $$

Ron,
What is your address and system for paying for a subs for Gullwing Mag.   I
have kept putting off subscribing unless it is an easy simple Visa setup
usually.  (no PayPal!!).
Murray
Vin: 05962
Lic: DMC-XII

Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 13:49:13 -0500
From: Kevin Abato <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: Delroean Mid-Atlantic Club Spring Socail - Update

Now that we are starting to get enough details on our spring social
together, we have posted more information on the event on our club website.

Details can be found at:
http://www.deloreanmidatlantic.com/updates/updates.htm

We urge everyone in the area to attend!  This is going to be a great event.

Kevin Abato
Vin# 16680

Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 05:29:49 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: BTTF Trilogy

This is probably why:

"While rumors continue to circulate that the reason
for the speedy moratorium is because Universal plans
to release a 20th Anniversary disc for the first film
later this year, there has been no official word on
this to date."

http://www.bttf.com/index.php?/weblog/more/v2_trilogy_boxed_sets_finally_arrive_in_stores/

Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 19:32:38 -0000
From: "azman3us" <azman3us_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: The Rare Deloreans

Patrick -

I too noticed the stainless latch for the louvers with the DMC logo
on 502 at PF.  Spoke with Rob about it and they are custom made from
2 pieces of stainless welded together then ground smooth and
polished. Thought they looked very sharp, the cost is $100.00 due to
all the hand labor and are very limited in availability. Rob also
mentioned that it will not remain on 502 after restoration is
completed.

Randal
AZ-D

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "p12c16" <PRC1216_at_dml_a...> wrote:

> Some things I recall seeing on VIN 502 were that the VIN plate on
the dash looked
> different, and was stainless colored with the DMC logo and it said
DeLorean Motor Cars

Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 20:52:12 -0000
From: "p12c16" <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

The reason they are clearing them out at that lower price is because
they will be re-released again in a "20th Anniversary Edition" with
more bonus features, and other goodies.  Universal wants all of these
editions off of the shelves when the newer ones are released.  I have
no idea of the release date for the 20th anniversary version, but it
is rumored to be this year, my guess is around Christmas.

Patrick
1880

Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 20:31:06 -0000
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Rare Deloreans

How about doing it in a PDF format,and letting the subscribers print
them out,if they so wish.At well under a buck a disk(plus cheap
shipping costs) or no shipping if downloaded from your web
site,password protected)Plus saving trees)Maybe then the price could
also come down.

Claude

 --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_f...> wrote:

> When our subscription rates get into the numbers that Playboy has,
our magazine (DCS) will sell for less!  Only reason it's so high, is
because of the printing costs having to be covered by less people.

Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 18:02:08 -0500
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>
Subject: Re: Catalytic Heat shield removal

Hey Dom,

I haven't done a cat heat shield in awhile, so I don't remember the
setup, but I think Ken just got done with one.  Ken?

-Josh

Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 20:21:09 -0000
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

Mark,
No disrespect, But I was basing this on an article from 1987(see the photos
section,under early Deloreans)that states that fact,these cars(pre#
vin 648 or earlier)were NOT intended to be sold to the general
public,yes they were coming down the factory assembly line,so that
they were a early form of production car,but just like the black
bodies, that came down the SAME production line, previous to these
early cars, they were never intended to be sold to the general
public, hence pre-production,if you look up these cars,you will find
all of them became assigned cars,D.O.T. cars, mules,test cars,parts
cars ect.If that was not the case,then where are they now,they should
be as common as any other Delorean,yet they are few and far in
between,as most were destroyed or used for parts at the factory or
QAC.If I am NOT correct please explain to me were these cars are,as
they are missing and only few are in existence.The ones that you see
around today were only around because they happened to still be at,or
being used for DMC business,when the factory shut down,so naturally
the cars were liquidated for use to pay the creditors,otherwise none
of these early cars would be around at all had the factory never
folded.Plus the fact,that these were now, Factory used,tampered cars
ect, they could NOT be sold as new production cars.I may be wrong(I
have no proof)but I suspect,that the black bodies on these pre vin#
648 were from the actual lot of the pre 500 black bodies,that were
produced before vin#500 started,they could have sorted out the good
ones,and used them for that lot run,another reason,to start off with
the first release of vin #649,to the general public.
By the way vin 570 was NEVER sold from any DMC dealership,it came
from a company that dealt with liquidations.(not kapac)

Claude