From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2465
Date: Friday, February 04, 2005 7:17 PM

1. Re: Audio system solutions?
From: "Steven L. Alves" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>

2. Re: Re: The Rare Deloreans
From: "Alistair McCann" <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>

3. RE: Proto 1 Looking for flap sander
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

4. Re: Brief DeLorean Flashback - Car & Driver.com
From: "p12c16" <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

5. Re: Re: The Rare Deloreans
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Re: Catalytic Heat shield removal
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

7. Flapper tool & wheel
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

8. Re: Re: The Rare Deloreans
From: "Lawrence J, Lormand" <lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net>

9. Revin 500 & up
From: "vin00538" <lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net>

10. ski rack adapter
From: "Mads de Bruin" <debruin_at_dml_dia.eur.nl>

11. Re: Lambda system/duty cycle
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>

12. CLEANING
From: "Carl Davis" <carldavis_at_dml_familykia.com>

13. In need of tire advice
From: Aaron Crocco <acrocco_at_dml_gmail.com>

14. Re: CLEANING
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>

15. Re: CLEANING
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. Re: Flapper tool & wheel
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

17. Re: CLEANING
From: "Steven L. Alves" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>

18. RE: Proto 1 Looking for flap sander
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Re: CLEANING
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

20. Re: Revin 500 & up
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

21. Door struts
From: "heylacy" <heylacy_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. Re: Magazine $$
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

23. Front lower link 105177
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

24. Re: BTTF Trilogy
From: "dom1172" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>

25. Stereo Installation (was Re: Audio system solutions?)
From: "gzapf" <x86Daddy_at_dml_myrealbox.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 18:16:46 -0500
From: "Steven L. Alves" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>
Subject: Re: Audio system solutions?

You are not in the Fort Lauderdale area are you? I ran into a guy last week
who told me his dad was just getting a D from DMCH.

From: <ComposerZelgadis_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: [DML] Audio system solutions?

Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 23:30:57 -0000
From: "Alistair McCann" <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Re: The Rare Deloreans

Claude

To answer your question in part, my car Vin# Pilto25 was an early
re-production test car that was used as a road test vehivle for not only the
factory but for the motoring press.

It was never meant to be sold to the public and only survived because DMC
went bankrupt and this car along with a few others were fixed up and sold at
auction.

You can see my car on the cover of Autocar magazine in 1981 it still bears
the same registration plates RIA7124, and it shows the car on the apex of
the test track in Dunmurray.

Alistair McCann
Northern Ireland
VIN# PILOT25

Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 18:40:31 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Proto 1 Looking for flap sander

Bruce and Group, I can buy the old / new ARO tools at a discount if anyone
is interested. The Flapper tool has a list of $873.00 and I can get it for
$755.00.  But the flapper part doesn't come with it. That would be separate.
Base on what Gary Hull said we can get it there. The only thing I could do
is put together a group discount and I have the business credentials to
normally get it. Would be nice to get more than one.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com

Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 01:31:00 -0000
From: "p12c16" <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Brief DeLorean Flashback - Car & Driver.com

Looking at Tamir's website with the article, in terms of Sex Appeal,
the DeLorean placed second, 1 point behind the Ferrari 308.  The
quality of the ride was second place as well, behind the Ferrari once
again.  In terms of powertrain ranking, the DeLorean places last at a
7, while all of the rest are in the double digits.  Its fun to read
these old tests, if you have the time, check out Tamir's site and see
what Road and Track and Car and Driver used to be like.

Patrick
1880

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Tamir Ardon" <tamir_at_dml_e...> wrote:

> For those that want to see the original article (with bigger
pictures and color), you can view it on my site under the ARTICLES section.  It
is Car and Driver, Dec.1981

Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 19:45:49 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

OK, so they are pre-public sale (based on your
argument), but how does that make them
"pre-production"?  They were still production cars.
Based on the fact that they were used for DOT testing
proves that they are production vehicles.

If your argument is that there are fewer remaining
cars in the 500-599 VIN range versus, for example,
6000-6099, I don't see why that makes them any more
"rare" because of a coincidence of sequence.  Maybe we
can find another set of 100 consecutive cars that are
more rare than 500-599?

Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 04:11:10 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: Re: Catalytic Heat shield removal

I've only ever had experience with John Hervey's wrap-around
heatshield, but if I recall correctly you can unbolt the
actual "shielding" from the metal plate that bolts to the engine
block.  Then remove the lower plate from the block.

> Dom Diaz wrote:
>
> >Any tricks to removing the Cat heat shield? I have to admit I
didn't play with it very long but the bolts seem to be on top of the shield
UNDER the Cat!

Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 04:44:08 -0000
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: Flapper tool & wheel

Group,
For reference and those of you who don't know what a flapper tool is
to re-grain the De Lorean stainless steel body,  I have put a
picture on the web site under accessories. I can get the tool for
$755.00 new and will work on getting the wheel from what Gary posted
earlier. The tool is air operated and rated 1000 RPM where as the
new tool is 4500 RPM's. That would be the difference between the
( S ) and non S on the new tool.
John Hervey
 http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/accessories.html

Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 23:42:59 -0500
From: "Lawrence J, Lormand" <lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net>

The factory started producing cars _at_dml_000560 Production vin#'s that
started at De Lorean factory was suppost to be from  500. they didn't
give pilot cars vin's Did they?, the cars before that were put together
before there were factory workers as sample & training cars,  Like the
10 black body fiberglass cars these were all assigned vin #'s but only
3 were sold the others were destroyed. they also needed  crash test
cars, mechanic's training cars, engineering cars, test track cars,
electrical testing car, & shipping practice cars. I also talked with a
couple of the factory workers from Ireland that even they confirmed the
factory start up was at 560 that's at least 3 workers, & _at_dml_ Pigeon Forge
the engineer that was a guest speaker told me that mine was put
together by hand before the factory was finished he described it as the
car that was the pain in his arss as he talk to us all with soft door
skins & trying to line up the doors, making cardboard console, when he
& his wife checked my car out there were 4 other delorean owners that
were present he looked & said thats the car that was the Pain in my
arss he also recognized the dent in the drivers door about the window
that his crew dented by putting on the soft skins using his hand
instead of a rubber mallet. if you were at Pigeon Forge you might have
seen my car I also have the De Lorean name plate on the lower fender.
well, I really don't need to explain myself but, enjoy talking about it.

Thanks for your comment,
Lawrence  Mi. vin#'s 00538m, 00915a, 4873a

Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 04:59:52 -0000
From: "vin00538" <lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net>
Subject: Revin 500 & up

>From vin 500 to 560 were only available to De Lorean company assignes only. General public cars were produced from 560 up. Look up the VIN historys on the DML see for your selves.
Lawrence  --

Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 11:10:43 -0000
From: "Mads de Bruin" <debruin_at_dml_dia.eur.nl>
Subject: ski rack adapter

I like to get in touch with someone who has an original ski rack
adapter for the luggage rack. I like to ask them some questions.
Please respond off list at debruin(at)dia.eur.nl

Thanks,
Mads

Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 09:07:14 -0800
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>
Subject: Re: Lambda system/duty cycle

Found the source of the problem. The mechanic had connected the plug
for the thermal Lambda switch to the ground plug wire that is bolted to
the back of the air intake. I was able to switch the wires around
without having to pull the intake. I was working blind but it only took
five minutes. Glad I have skinny hands. Runs great now that I have the
mixture dialed in .

Phil Priestley
Alessandros Restaurant
http://alessandros120.com/
(503)370-9951
1(866)225-7985

Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 08:38:15 -0500
From: "Carl Davis" <carldavis_at_dml_familykia.com>
Subject: CLEANING

Hello, I recently purchased my first Delorean, I was wondering if there is any type car wash soap, etc that you can buy at a local parts store for proper cleaning of the stainless? Thanks for any tips.   Carl

Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 12:39:01 -0500
From: Aaron Crocco <acrocco_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: In need of tire advice

I'm in the market for new tires for my D and Tire Rack has two to choose from:

Michelin Pilot XGT H4, High Performance All-Season, which are a bit pricey.

BFGoodrich Radial T/A, Performance All-Season, about half the price of
the Pilot's.

I checked the DML archives and did not find any information about the
BF's and so I figured you guys could help.

So I need to know if the BF's are okay for the car.  If I can get a
good tire and save some cash, it would be really great.  Please let me
know what you think of these tires.  Thanks!

-Aaron Crocco
VIN 5591
NY Plate: OUTATYM

Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 10:02:07 -0800
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>
Subject: Re: CLEANING

I found that the Mr Clean Auto-dry car wash system works great. Car
dries spot free. You can get the starter kit at Wal-mart for about $19.
Phil Priestley
Alessandros Restaurant
http://alessandros120.com/
(503)370-9951
1(866)225-7985

Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 10:06:05 -0800 (PST)
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Once or twice a year I use a product called "Reflection" that is available from a janitors supply store. I removes the oxides that build up on the SS. It's a commercial product used in restaurant kitchens. The rest of the time I just use any car wash product.

Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 18:06:02 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Flapper tool & wheel

Just a reminder, the Aro tool is an air powered tool. It requires A
LOT of air. You will need a large air compressor to run it. Figure
that when you consider buying an Aro tool. You have to get one that
not only can give you the pressure you need but also the CFM (cubic
feet/minute) An alternative is to use a flexible shaft. The flapper
wheel doesn't care what makes it turn. You can use a flexible shaft
driven by an electric motor. You can get them at any large industrial
supply house and Eastwood sells one too. In an industrial setting they
mount the motor on a wheeled and gimbaled stand so you can manuver the
flexible shaft easier. You can also use an electric drill but it is
heavier and more cumbersome. The trick is to have a slow, controled
speed. If the speed is not controled it affects the grain pattern you
are trying to put on the metal. Even with the Aro tool you still must
control the speed. The Aro tool has a small regulator in it to control
the speed but if the air pressure fluctuates too much it will affect
the speed. You should have a good quality F-R-L unit (filter,
regulator, lubricator) to provide clean, steady and oiled air to the
Aro tool. Most people will not have an air system capable of running
the Aro tool and installing one can cost $$$ in addition to the tool
which is expensive all by iteself.

Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 13:08:47 -0500
From: "Steven L. Alves" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>

Simple Green and then rinse & dry.

From: "Carl Davis" <carldavis_at_dml_familykia.com>
Subject: [DML] CLEANING

Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 10:19:20 -0800 (PST)
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

For years I've had a "Sand-O-Flex Model 350R" that looks to be really close to the same thing you have pictured. Made by Merit Abrasive Products, Compton, CA. It's metal, has brushes to back the sanding fingers, and works very well. I think Knut bought one after seeing mine. Look around, I'm sure you can find one at a reasonable price.

Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 18:20:51 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

As far as a detergent to wash the car, you can use any mild soap. Even
dishwashing liquid. The real question is how hard the water is in your
area. You need to use a soap that can work with the water in your
area. If the water is hard you will get all kinds of water spots. Most
auto stores sell car wash soap. Talk to the guy at the counter and he
can help you select one. I use hot water in a bucket with a cupfull of
soap and a sponge. After you dry the car you may want to go over it
with something like Windex or alcohol to spot clean it better. In
general wax is not going to help so don't get any soap with wax in it.
Dry with a chamois or towels. For stains and tar use a solvent, just
stay away from the weatherstripping and rub strips with it. For a S/S
cleaner get the Glo-SS from Chemsearch and a blending pad from one of
the Delorean vendors. DMCH sells the cleaning kit that origionally was
offered by DMC.

Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 18:30:07 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: Revin 500 & up

But that has to do with prefered sales, not "Pre-Preduction".

Whom a certain run of cars are sent to has nothing to do with an
entire production run, when they are the exact same vehicle. They're
all DMC-12s, no special packages were installed, nothing was changed
structurally, so they're no different. Especially since the company
did not recognize them as such.

Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 18:59:32 -0000
From: "heylacy" <heylacy_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Door struts

Hi, Wheres the best place to get door, hood, and eng.cover stuts? I'd
like to buy in set.Is Gradys really a better strut?  Price and
quality wise. Thanks

Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 19:18:33 -0000
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>
Subject: Re: Magazine $$

Has anyone thought about organizing the three (Gullwing, DCS, and
deloreans) into one? It would take a lot of effort and compromise from
the various players, but when all was said and done the result would
be a nice thick magazine with plenty of content for a good price.

I'm sure this is one of those "It will never happen" ideas, but
imagine if it did. If I were the editor of any of these magazines, I'd
have pursued this with the others long ago. Shoot, even if you gave
each of the three players a third of the final product - essentially
sending out three magazines in one so everyone keeps their little
slice of the pie, then split any profits three ways equally - you'd
triple your subscribers and slash your printing & mailing costs.

-Ryan

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "gullwingmag" <gullwing-magazine_at_dml_s...>

Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 19:34:13 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Front lower link 105177

I only have the drivers side lower link out (105177) to replace the
bushing, and am wondering if this side is identical to the passenger
side lower link in the front suspension. It is difficult to compare
from underneith the car, and I'd hate to tear apart the suspension to
take the link out if I don't need to. Thanks guys -----Dani B. #5003

Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 19:57:01 -0000
From: "dom1172" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: BTTF Trilogy

The only way I would purchase another set is if it included the Eric
Stoltz as Marty McFly footage.

Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 20:12:19 -0000
From: "gzapf" <x86Daddy_at_dml_myrealbox.com>
Subject: Stereo Installation (was Re: Audio system solutions?)

Hunt down some local people who are car stereo enthusiasts and get
their recommendations...  One of the local big chains may have good
people working there who can do a good, clean install, but that is
exceptional.  The more expensive, specialty car audio shops tend to do
a much better job, but it ultimately comes down to who's the installer.

Print out instructions on all neeeded panel removals, etc... for the
installer (or for yourself).  This will be tremendously helpful in
avoiding damage / making it clean.  There are some wonderful guides to
console removal, speaker installation (in factory spots though),
etc... that I used during my install:

Center Console:
http://retroserver.no-ip.com/delorean/centerconsole.html
Rear Speakers:
http://lukesandel.com/auto/delorean/repair/thgraham_projects/speaker.html
Front Speakers:
http://retroserver.no-ip.com/delorean/frontspeakerremove.html

Mad props to the authors and hosts of the referenced info!

Also note that the factory harness / wiring has common grounds for
front and back, which you probably don't want.  This means that you'll
at least slightly change the way you use the harness, and probably run
new wires.  Email off list for my specific method, and I'll recollect
it, if desired.

--Greg