From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2467
Date: Sunday, February 06, 2005 5:33 PM

From: Peter Cameron <cameron_at_dml_bnl.gov>

From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

From: "gullwingmag" <gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

From: "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net>

From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

From: kevin creason <kcreason77_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: kevin creason <kcreason77_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: Jason McKee <tymchsr_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: ComposerZelgadis_at_dml_aol.com

From: "azman3us" <azman3us_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "azman3us" <azman3us_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Re: The Rare Deloreans
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

20. Re: Front lower link 105177
From: Bryan Pearce <bryanp_at_dml_pearce-design.com>

21. Re: Door struts
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

22. Re: Front lower link 105177
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

23. Took car out on first drive in 1 1/2 years, not without problems, though
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

24. Re: CLEANING
From: "Louie" <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 20:54:46 -0500
From: Peter Cameron <cameron_at_dml_bnl.gov>
Subject: Re: In need of tire advice

Aaron,

I bought from tirerack, am quite happy with what I got

7101 Vorden Parkway * South Bend, IN 46628 *
<http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AE1&url=/about/contact.html>888-541-1777
*<http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AE1>www.tirerack.com

2P235/60HR-15 Michelin Pilot XGT H4
In Stock $70.00 ea
2P195/60HR-14 Michelin Pilot XGT H4
In Stock $80.00 ea

Peter Cameron

Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 02:24:06 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: CLEANING

There are a lot of personal tastes on this I'm sure, but over the
years the best soap I have found for the D or any car for that
matter is P21S. It is a German product and is by far the best for
cleaning and leaving a really nice bright shine. The P21S wheel
cleaner is the best wheel cleaner too. The stuff is a little pricy
but well worth it.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Carl Davis" <carldavis_at_dml_f...> wrote:

> Hello, I recently purchased my first Delorean, I was wondering if
there is any type car wash soap, etc that you can buy at a local
parts store for proper cleaning of the stainless? Thanks for any
tips.   Carl

Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 02:27:51 -0000
From: "gullwingmag" <gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Magazine $$

Murray,

Sorry we are not set up for credit cards unless you do it through
PayPal.  I would suggest sending a check.

To subscribe to GULLWING Magazine, send check or money order to:

GULLWING Magazine
P.O. Box 991
St. Peters, MO 63376
USA

or electronic fund transfers available using checking account or
credit card via www.PayPal.com to gullwingmagazine(at)juno.com.

The cost for the magazine is $48 US, $54 Canada, $66 Foreign.

This will get you a one year subscription of four issues starting with
the current issue #8.  (Back issues are available at the back issue
price of $16.75 US, $18.25 Canada, $20.00 Foreign.)

Sincerely,

Ron & Cheryl Wester
gullwingmagazine(at)sbcglobal.net

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_c...> wrote:

Ron,
What is your address and system for paying for a subs for Gullwing
Mag.   I have kept putting off subscribing unless it is an easy
simple Visa setup usually.  (no PayPal!!).
Murray
Vin: 05962
Lic: DMC-XII

Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 21:36:02 -0500
From: "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net>
Subject: RE: Re: The Rare Deloreans

How about a D that was never registered and no miles on it.  Would that
make it rare?

Jack.

Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 02:41:26 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

Be sure to do a search of the list for tires. There has been more
than a couple of threads started on this.

If you are looking for a good safe ride that is not so pricy you
might take a look at the Cooper Cobra Radial G/T's. I just got a set
of cooper tires for another car of mine and these things are great.
I was checking out the ones for the D. Look great - Made in the USA -
 the raised white letters I would turn to the inside though. I have
the XGT's on my D. They are stiff like performance tire should be so
the ride suffers. I have had the Goodrich Radial TA's before - I got
rid of them after 15,000 miles because of the noise they made (the
rears especially).

Good luck deciding. I'm guessing you will get a million opinions.

Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 02:58:24 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Front lower link 105177

Yes, they are identical.

Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 03:16:34 -0000
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: The Rare Deloreans

As you said test cars,to prove their road wortheness.The test before
full production could resume,just like vin 502 had to prove the
wortheness of a turbo setup.Other cars had to prove the cooling
system,emissions, ect.Not to put down the Bricklin(i own one)But you
guys remember,what happened with the Bricklin,car Vin 0001 went
straight to the dealers,and all the cars following went straight to
the dealers,a big fiesco,unfinished cars,cars with major problems
were brought by customers,right from the beginning,totally ruined the
Bricklin image,from day one,or vin 0001.JZD learned from that
experiance,so just put two and two together,and you can see why the
first lot of cars were not released to the general public,and QAC was
formed in these shores.
Regards
Claude

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_w...> wrote:

> I agree if they were DOT tested would make them production cars
because
> if they were pre-production they would have never wasted their time
DOT

Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 21:21:10 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I second.
I use this thing everyday on the time machine and the KITT car,
KITT is laquer black and impossible to clean, so I use it everyday and it
really works.
I noticed that they just came out with a new and improved version as a kit
at Wal-Mart.
Check it out.
- VB

Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 21:23:18 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

NOTE: Don't ever spray this stuff on your tires, it will suck the grease out
of them and leave them
white and ashy looking. Does the same thing to your weather striping.
It is not kind to blacks.
- VB

Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 03:38:37 -0000
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

Mark,
Do you remember a incedent a few years back about some cubans getting
a old truck and lashing some 55 gallon drums around it and making the
driveshaft into a propeller,then setting out into the ocean with it
in hopes of making it to these shores, then the the U.S. Coast Guard
caught up with it,grabbed the Cubans,then blew up the truck,---That
truck was D.O.A.,the moment it came anywhere near these shores,
My Point here is Basically all those Deloreans were made to be
Destroyed,Dismantled,or used for parts,down the road never to see
private hands,and any of these Deloreans that survived are true
survivers.

Regards
Claude

Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 19:47:58 -0800 (PST)
From: kevin creason <kcreason77_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Door struts

Truth of the matter is they are all comparable in
value  and performance.

Pick your favorite vendor, or closest vendor.
Unless you find something specific you want-- some
have black arms available instead of chrome.

Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 19:55:05 -0800 (PST)
From: kevin creason <kcreason77_at_dml_yahoo.com>

> BFGoodrich Radial T/A, Performance All-Season, about
> half the price of the Pilot's.

I've been running them for four years (about due to
change).
They are a fine tire, but I can only compare them to
horribley aged NCT's. I don't recall the price between
the BFG and Pilot being THAT drastic, I think it was
on the order of about 20-40 per tire difference.

They were noticably quieter than NCT's. They stop MUCH
better. The rear end only breaks away in wet
conditions-- such as hard acceleration or hard
turns+acceleration.

Kevin
#4687, TX

Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 04:45:23 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

You have discovered one of the "quirks" of British cars. They
generally have identical upper and lower control arms on both sides.
If you refer to the Parts manual it will confirm that the left and
right "lower links" aka lower control arms ARE identical as are the
"wishbone/bushing assys" aka upper control arms. Refer to 5-1-0 in the
Parts manual ref # 31. In the QTY column it says 2 because you need 2,
one for each side. It does not distingush between left and right, in
fact the picture only shows the left side but just about all of the
parts are identical except for the stub axle (spindle to us Americans)
and the front upright #1. Very frugal. As long as you have it all
apart make sure you reassemble as per the Blue recall. Make sure
everything is torqued to spec at "road height", that is with weight on
the suspension so as not to preload the bushings. If you had to
replace the bushing in the lower link you might consider having an
alignment done. I would carefully inspect ALL the bushings on both
sides, it is rare for only one bushing to be worn out. Generally when
one bushing goes there is a lot more stress on other parts in the
suspension generating more wear throughout. The sway bar bushings
would take the brunt of it so inspect them carefully.

Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 06:08:35 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Flapper tool & wheel

David,

Out of interest, how large of an air compressor would be suffecient?
Would a 30 gallon tank be good enough? I have a 30 gallon tank, and
I have been considering getting a flap sander soon.

Joe OBrien

Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 22:54:49 -0800 (PST)
From: Jason McKee <tymchsr_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Hi Aaron, I was in the same boat you are about a year ago. I ended up buying the Michlin Pilot
XGT H4's from the Tire Rack. I'm glad I did, the D rides and handles great with them. Its best to stick with an H rated tire since thats what the D came with, but thats only my opinion. The BF Goodrich are good tires also, but are only and S or a T speed rating.

The speed ratings are important because it affects handling characteristics also, not just speed. I know the Michelins are a little more pricey, but there worth it. In the end thow, its your decision. Also look at the tred, traction & temp. ratings on the tires also, thows might give you a better idea of witch tire will last longer and handle better. Hope this helps your decision.

-Jason McKee

Aaron Crocco <acrocco_at_dml_gmail.com> wrote:

I'm in the market for new tires for my D and Tire Rack has two to choose from:
Michelin Pilot XGT H4......BFGoodrich Radial T/A,

Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 03:03:52 EST
From: ComposerZelgadis_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Audio system solutions?

Actually, no.  Not too far, but not Ft. Lauderdale.  I'm down on  Marco
Island, a few hours away, I believe.

Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 16:47:07 -0000
From: "azman3us" <azman3us_at_dml_yahoo.com>

David is correct here regarding the CFM's to drive the tool.  I have
a 5 hp 22 gal compressor the we use for the AZ-D (yes he have a Aro
tool) and it is just enough to drive the Aro.

Randal "The 3M Guy"
AZ-D

Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 16:55:12 -0000
From: "azman3us" <azman3us_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5501 has run the AVS and now the Michlin Pilots (recommended by Rob
Grady).  AVS went bad ( could not be balanced) thus the switch to the
Pilots  --- Love the Pilots, solid tire, yes pricy, but all Michelins
are ... well worth the investment

My $ .02

Randal "The 3M Guy"
5501
AZ-D

Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 17:10:49 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

Let's don't, Claude. They're not "Factory Use Only" cars. They're
simply production cars that were reserved for specific sales, or
assignments. I met a guy here in Vegas that says that he has VIN 507,
which is supposed to be the very first Automatic ever built. And he
wasn't a company employee, nor an engineer. He states he picked up it
directly at the Jersey QAC.

So if that's the case, and it can be proven, then that blows the
image of cars from VIN 648 and down, from being anythign special, out
of the water. They're not apart of some "special batch" of cars.
Their just represented by their own individual history...

Something more so is the technicality that DMCL is the manufacturing
division that manufactured these cars. They turned all vechilces over
to DMC, the distribution arm. The factory itself had no say in whom
these vehicles were going to be assigned to.

Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 12:55:47 -0600
From: Bryan Pearce <bryanp_at_dml_pearce-design.com>

Dan,

The lower links (105177) on the front suspension are the same.

Bryan P.
Pearce Design
www.pearce-design.com

Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 22:29:06 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

Lacy - Just to give you an option to consider ... we offer the
struts as well, and our door struts have a temperature compensating
valve internally, which allows the struts to function more
consistently regardless of the outside temperature.  Many struts are
too energetic when warm, and too sluggish when cold.  Ours don't
tend to be that way nearly as much.  We also offer a limited
lifetime warranty to the original purchaser on the orginal car.  We
are currently backordered on the door and hood struts, but expect
the stocking shipment in 7 to 10 days.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 22:33:41 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

Dani - The DeLorean uses that same lower link on both sides.  The
link is symmetrical about the centerline of the part, so you just
flip it around for use on the other side.  I hope this helps.

Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 23:02:25 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: Took car out on first drive in 1 1/2 years, not without problems, though

So finally, today I took my DeLorean that I bought in July 2003 out
for a drive for the first time since September of 2003.  The car
starts fine, idles fine, revs freely up to 6000 when parked, but when
I head out onto the road it will drive up to about 3000 RPMs and then
doesn't want to go any further.  Depressing the accelerator just
makes it sputter.  It is a 5 speed, and to drive it around, I've been
just shifting early with it.  Top speed is about 55 mph.

Here's a list of what I did:
-replaced all engine vacuum hoses with silicone ones, replaced W-pipe
gaskets and o-rings, replaced injector seals, replaced o-ring on
mixture assembly, all 3 brass screws are closed
-re-gapped all spark plugs to 0.031", I know this is larger than
specification, but I also have the MSD Blaster 2 coil, so I thought I
should be able to space them a little further.
-Completely cleaned out fuel tank, checked every injector by placing
them in a bottle and jumping the fuel pump; all seem to spray
correctly.
-New distributor cap, new 8mm silicone spark plug wires, new ignition
coil (MSD Blaster2)
-checked that butterfly valves are opening fully
-gas is 87 octane, and tank is full
-pick-up hose assembly in fuel tank was replaced with john hervey's
pick-up filter, baffle being used is a large tuna can (bill robertson
style)
-frequency valve is buzzing happily

Is there anything else I can do?  Like I said, the car seems to run
fine until the engine is under load.  For that reason, it seems like
a vacuum leak, bad RPM relay, or any type of fuel starvation
shouldn't be the part of the problem.
I guess I should also mention that right now the car has no oxygen
sensor, and the exhaust manifolds are connected to straight pipes.

Where should I begin?

thanks,

Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 23:18:11 -0000
From: "Louie" <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

I very rarely "wet wash" my car. Most of the time I just use Windex
and paper towels to wipe mine down... makes it really glitter in the
sunlight, and you don't have to worry about water spots. The foaming
Windex in a can was about the best stuff I've ever used on the
DeLorean, but I haven't been able to find it in years. I've also
used a can of Stainless Steel Cleaner I found at Lowe's Hardware a
few years ago. It comes in a blue can and is a foaming product...
spray on and wipe off and the car glows. Regardless of what anyone
says on the list I've used it for years and it has never left any
sort of residual product on my car. It cost about $3/can wheras the
comperable product the vendors sells is $25+/can, and is in my
opinion an identical product.

First lesson in DeLorean ownership 101: there is a good deal of old
unfounded perpetuated dogma in the DeLorean community. About 99% of
the information disseminated from this list is 100% accurate, but
don't trust everything you read here as gospel either. As in any
online community there are extremists and purists who can get a
little overzealous with things. Don't be afraid to try new things
with your car and break the mould, the cars aren't as much rocket
science as many would make you believe.

Louie Golden
VIN 5252 Charlotte, NC