From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2468
Date: Monday, February 07, 2005 7:29 AM

1. Re: The Rare Deloreans
From: "vin00538" <lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net>

2. Re: Audio system solutions?
From: "Steven L. Alves" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>

3. Re: Re: The Rare Deloreans
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

4. Re: The Rare Deloreans
From: "vin00538" <lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net>

5. Re: Flapper tool & wheel
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

6. Re: Took car out on first drive in 1 1/2 years, not without problems, though
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

7. Re: The Rare Deloreans
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

8. Re: Took car out on first drive in 1 1/2 years, not without problems, though
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

9. RE: Re: The Rare DeLorean
From: "Jack Stiefel" <jackstiefel_at_dml_gmail.com>

10. Re: Took car out on first drive in 1 1/2 years, not without problems, though
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

11. Re: The Rare Deloreans
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

12. Re: The Rare Deloreans
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

13. Re: ski rack adapter
From: tahoeray_at_dml_aol.com

14. Carfax No Deloreans?
From: "Rustproof" <Rustproof_at_dml_comcast.net>

15. Make Tire Polls, please.
From: kc <kcreason77_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. Hunting unwanted grounds on the #12 fuse
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

17. CABURATED PRV INSTALLED
From: "allante932003" <allante932003_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. SS LOUVERS
From: "allante932003" <allante932003_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. EUROFEST06 ARTICLE IN BELFAST PAPER
From: "Alistair McCann" <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>

20. Re: The EARLY Deloreans
From: "Louie" <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

21. Re: Took car out on first drive in 1 1/2 years, not without problems, though
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

22. Re: 99% Accurate DML Information
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

23. Re: ski rack adapter
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

24. Re: The Rare Deloreans
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

25. Re: The Rare Deloreans
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 03:36:19 -0000
From: "vin00538" <lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net>
Subject: Re: The Rare Deloreans

Okay Let me tell you this then, My 00538 Has not been DOT tested, I have no Door
plate vin, On dash only, no way to verify this car was tested for US Sales, Also no date
or month of Build, no weight limits, no emissions mentioned. Now what? Have I
convinced you yet? I can post some more pice in the pic section check them out vin-
00358,
Lawrence

Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 22:54:38 -0500
From: "Steven L. Alves" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>
Subject: Re: Audio system solutions?

We really need a Florida club.

From: <ComposerZelgadis_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: [DML] Audio system solutions?

Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 22:59:27 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: The Rare Deloreans

John and I had this conversation years ago in Cleveland when we had the  show
at the Crawford.  That question was asked a few times if my memory is
correct.
The first production
HEAR THIS
PRODUCTION
car was bought by the museum to have as the FIRST DeLorean off the
PRODUCTION line
It has vin 500 and it had at that time I think 8 or so miles on it.
The museum has this car and its claim to fame is that it IS the first
PRODUCTION CAR off the line.  That means it was meant to sell because it  was bought
by the Museum.

So if Vin 500 is the FIRST PRODUCTION car and John had said that VIN  500 was
the beginning of production of the DeLorean Then that is good enough for  me.

These cars were to be sold.  Vin 501 and 502 were done to help promote  the
turbo and then these cars were to start rolling off the line (slow  production
at this point) but sold.
I saw two more of these cars in Columbus and the owner was telling me they
were pre production cars but he bought them off a dealer I believe. The vin
tags  were a bit different but that was about the only thing I could see that was
 anything significant.

So I hope this helps as John himself considered VIN 500 to be there first
Production car.
There were many changes in there first 100 cars as they did not build many
per day and made changes as they found issues.

Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 04:21:39 -0000
From: "vin00538" <lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net>

1st of all, Dot testing was only for USA sales, The didn't need dot testing for over seas
but, Still tested & shipped with dot approval tags anyway, I've talked with 3 factory
workers whom told me that while they built black bodies engineers were assembling
cars for testing,  Mine, 00538 was used to engineer how the parts were to be installed
in the vehicles, As I said I have right hand & left hand assembly parts on my car  such
as right hand door has 2 switches not 1, has 2 washer solvent bottle holes in luggage
compartment, and so on I can't go thru all now As I'm righting an ad for the magazine
you can all read it there. 00538 didn't get a vin # right away as they didn't have the
dash ready built & as soon as the plates were punched they were passed out to all the
vehicles, my doors are vin 0528 & 529 soft skin no welds, my 1/4's are 529 & 530 my
fenders are 537 & 536, my frame is 536, bonnet is 536, nothing matches as they just
grabbed the next item when they were ready for the next part, Just so you all know
I'm not arguing or being sarcastic, I'm just stating what I've heard & what I was told I
also saw it on a web site as well I'll Have to find it for you all.

Lawrence

Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 05:56:35 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Flapper tool & wheel

Contrary to popular opinion or intuition the size of the tank has no
bearing on the CFM output of the compressor. You must look at the
specs of the compressor for it's CFM rated output and at what pressure
and compare it to the spec requirement of the equipment you want to
run. I do not know the CFM required to run the Aro tool. You can't
even go by the size of the motor. The CFM output of a compressor is
affected by the size of the cylinders, the speed it is run at, the
pressure it pumps to, and the # of stages. This is assuming it is a
recip. Rotary are calculated differently. BTW a recip is only rated to
75% of it's capacity so it has some period of cool-down and you can
have only so many start-stop cycles per hour. This is where the size
of the tank starts to matter. Anything more than 3 HP and you should
consider a 3 phase motor which is hard to do in a house. You have to
also consider some way to get the water out of the air or you will
quickly ruin that expensive Aro tool. All in all it is not the "best"
way to go in a house for a tool that you will not use often. IMHO a
flexible shaft-driven tool running on an electric motor makes more sense.

Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 06:02:05 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Took car out on first drive in 1 1/2 years, not without problems, though

Check the base timing, the mechanical advance and the vacuum advance
to be sure they are all working and close to the specs in the Workshop
Manual. You could also have a plugged up fuel filter causing fuel
starvation. Since you are not running an O2 sensor I would just jump
the WOT micro so it goes rich in open loop. Not great but better than
nothing.

Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 06:23:18 -0000
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

Just saying that was how it was supposed to go,but who knows what
happened towards the end,when all hell broke loose,when JZD got
busted.
But also as you said it was picked up at QAC,and Not thru
the "normal" channels,such as/thru a normal DMC Dealership.That is
what I have been stating from the beginning,that these cars were
saved,or disposed by people aquiring them thru "other" means,such as
vin #614.Therefore saving them from there real fate.
It is just such a mystery that these cars were proved that they
existed,but 90% were/are missing from the get go.(they were never
sent/assigned to DMC dealerships to sell to the general public)

Regards
Claude

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_c...>

Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 13:31:36 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

What you describe is usually a symptom of inadequate or improper
spark. If that is your problem for sure it is hard to say. I assume
it revved fine before all the maintenance and modifications.

I would be suspicious of the vacuum line routing, spark timing, and
the resistor for the coil. If the resistor is incorrect, as in too
much, the spark will not be strong enough. That is what it sounds
like - under load the engine needs a strong spark and the light is
going out.

Harold McElraft - 3354

Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 08:55:02 -0500
From: "Jack Stiefel" <jackstiefel_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: The Rare DeLorean

How that post made it past the moderators based on past performance is
beyond me...

Claude, what are you talking about?  Just because a car was given to certain
employees why would it make it "built for destruction"?  I can see the pilot
cars being considered that, but not yours.  Basically you have a low vin
number, but still a production car that came down the same line as the rest
of ours.  Yours is no rarer than mine, and mine was like half way through.
Give credit where it is due, Pilot is very rare, Legends are rare, Gold
plated is rare -- survivors if you like.  Vin 570 (I believe that's yours),
is... well... Vin 570.

Jack Stiefel -- Tampa, Florida
www.fmtimemachine.com
Direct listen link: www.live365.com/stations/radiocape

Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 15:32:25 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

Just wanted to clarify this, since I had an opportunity to drive the
car a little further this time until the temp reached the halfway
point (180?).

The problem starts to disappear after the car has warmed up quite a
bit.  I'm still not able to take the car up to 6000, but I can get it
up to 5000 or so, where as when it's cold, I can barely get 3000 out
of it.

thanks,

Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 16:21:45 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

I'm not seeing the connection here between refugees at sea, and
DeLoreans. Are you saying that the Cubans were members of the DOA?

Unless someone can produce legitimate paperwork that specificly
states that theses cars were supposed to have been destroyed, never
sold to the public, or otherwise back up your claims in anyway shape
or form, then this argument is null.

These are production cars, and on their own merit as DeLorean
automobiles, exculding their individual histories after their
manufacture was completed, there is absolutely nothing at all special
about them.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_s...> wrote:

> Mark,
> Do you remember a incedent a few years back about some cubans
getting a old truck and lashing some 55 gallon drums around it and then setting out into the ocean with it in hopes of making it to these shores, then the the U.S. Coast Guard caught up with it,grabbed the Cubans,then blew up the truck,

Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 16:45:59 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

The QACs were meant to correct any errors that occured durring the
assembly process _at_dml_ DMCL. I.e crooked trim pieces, misaligned panels,
etc. The idea of the QAC was to correct these errors while the
workers at the factory ramped up their learning curve. Eventually,
once the facotry workers were on par, the QACs were to be phased out.
The "Q" in "QAC" means exactly that: "Quality". No where
is "Engineering" ever mentioned, nor intended.

And as a side note, this was to correct ONLY vehicles manufactured
durring the DMC-12's production run. Pre-preduction underbodies, as
can be seen in certain rare factory footage, were used to train
workers, before the factory opened. And on these, you can clearly see
that these are NOT the same vehicles that were later placed into
production.

Other pre-production test cars, such as the one at the Ulster
Transport Museum were intended to be used as a test car, in order to
prove the vehicle model's road worthyness. Not production run
vehicles.

Now, if DMC had wanted to suspend the first production run from
consumers, in order to place said vehicles into "real world" testing,
then that would have been ideal. However, that still does not
indicate that these were anything more than production vehicles, that
were excluded from dealership distribution. And you'd still need to
have some sort of factory documentation to prove this.

p.s. VIN 502, and other cars that were sent to Legend Industries were
vehicles that were going to have proven turbo packages installed.
Actual testing of the Legend set up was "proven" on seperate
drivetrains that were outside of vehicles, in cradles. A description
of the Legend shop was given in an old article that was written back
in '83 or so, that backs this up.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_s...> wrote:

> As you said test cars,to prove their road wortheness.The test
before full production could resume,just like vin 502 had to prove the

Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 12:34:55 EST
From: tahoeray_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: ski rack adapter

I HAVE AND USE AN DELOREAN SKI RACK- IT MOUNTS ON THE LUGGAGE RACK
ATTACHMENT. IT HAS A PROBLEM- IF YOU MOUNT MORE THAN I OR 2 SETS OF SKIS YOU CANT OPEN
THE DOORS --THE RACK IS A STANDARD SKI RACK AND IS WAY TO WIDE. I CAN ANSWER
ANY QUESTION YOU HAVE.
RAY PETRAGALLO
TAHOERAY_at_dml_AOL.COM

Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 13:36:22 -0500
From: "Rustproof" <Rustproof_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Carfax No Deloreans?

I tried to input my two Delorean VIN numbers into the Carfax database and both were rejected as invalid. Has anyone else encounted this problem?
Rustproof

Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 12:28:25 -0800 (PST)
From: kc <kcreason77_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Make Tire Polls, please.

Hey guys-
I made a tire poll so that we will have something in
concrete for people to look at when it is time to buy
tires.
I wrote Tire Poll #1 as follows, and would like
someone else to do the same for Cooper cobra, Michelin
Pilot and Yokos:
> I have driven my Delorean on
> BF Goodrich Radial T/A's and consider them:
	___ inferior tires, I chucked them ASAP
	___ a "luke" tire-- neither hot nor cold and spewed
them from my car as soon as they were spent
	___ a respectable tire for the price and I might get
them again
	___ an awesome tire and I will get them again

Please write polls similarly, or better. And PLEASE
vote where you have an opinion on a brand/model or
tires for ALL Delorean owners.

thanks.
-Kevin
#4687 which may need tires sometime this year

Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 21:14:13 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Hunting unwanted grounds on the #12 fuse

I spent today hunting the ground that's blowing the #12 fuse.

I unplugged everything that I could get access to; engine compt.
light, bonnet light, dome lights, glove box light, door switches and
courtesy light harnesses inside the doors. I have NOT pulled the T-
panel yet.

In the wiring diagram, at the fusebox, brown feeds the fuse, and
purple coming from the fuse distributes the power to all of the
above items. They are turned on/off by switching ground as we all
already know.

The must be a very bad ground on the purple distribution wire
because I put my multimeter on the purple side of the fuse at the
fusebox and touched a ground point and the meter indicated a
connection. Brown and purple should both indicated an open circuit.
The ground must be deeper in the core of the harness.

The diagram indicates a purple wire junction point where the shorter
legs all come together before the main wire goes to the fuse.
Perhaps someone can direct me to this junction point.

If I can disconnect each item one at a time at the junction point,
and test for the ground, it'll tell me where the bad wire is.

Rich A

Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 22:38:44 -0000
From: "allante932003" <allante932003_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: CABURATED PRV INSTALLED

I READ THE ARTICAL FROM JUNE 10,2004 ALBUM#5939 WOULD LIKE SOME
INFORMATION ON HOW TO SET UP THE MANIFOLD INTAKE AND CARBORATOR .
THANKS DAN

Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 22:35:56 -0000
From: "allante932003" <allante932003_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: SS LOUVERS

FOUND AN ARTICAL FROM NOV.4,2003 WITH PICTURES OF YOUR CAR WITH THE
SS LOUVERS. VERY IMPRESSIVE I'M WONDERING IF YOU SELL THEM OR IF YOU
CAN TELL ME HOW TO GET IN TOUCH WITH WHO DOES. I HAVE A 1981 VIN
#3496 THANK YOU VERY MUCH DAN

Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 23:35:56 -0000
From: "Alistair McCann" <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>
Subject: EUROFEST06 ARTICLE IN BELFAST PAPER

Hi everyone

I was surprised to see this article in my local paper on friday, thought I would share it with you all.

GULL WINGS COMMING BACK TO LISBURN
The city council has agreed in principle that a "Delorean Motor Festival" should be held in Lisburn next year to mark the 25th anniversary of the production of the famous gull winged car at Dunmurry.

Representatives of the Delorean Owners Association attended the economic development committee to outline plans for the festival which is scheduled to take place from may 24th to 27th 2006.

Corrine Weatherup, Robert Lamrock and Peter Lavery explained the overall purpose of the event was to mark the 25th anniversary of the cars production.

The deputation gave councillors a description of the background of the car and proposals for the festival.  Ms. Weatherup explained there would be benefits and oppertunities for the city if it goes ahead.  A number of councillors spoke in support of the festival taking place in Lisburn.  Councillor Edwin Poots then reommended, in view of the possible benefits for the promotion of the city that the committee should support in principle the hosting of the event.

He also recommended that prior to agreeing to any specific funding for the project, officers should establish precise costs associated with staging such an event.  Both these recommendations were seconded by councillor James Tinsley.

A further report on the matter will be brought to a future meeting of the committee.  The Delorean factory was located at Derriaghy on the site now occupied by Montupet but collapsed after just a short time.

That your lot folks................. Looks like things are moving ahead.

Alistair McCann
DOC 25
VIN# PILOT25

Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 01:54:40 -0000
From: "Louie" <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: The EARLY Deloreans

I tend to agree with Robert on this one. And let's think about it
this way: DMCL couldn't have afforded to allot the first 150 cars
for strictly factory uses never to be sold to the public. The
company was already very late in getting the cars into production,
and were strapped for cash. They had already practiced assembly on
the "black cars." Why would they continue to essentially throw out
money by keeping these first cars for company use when they could be
used for badly needed profit and in turn, PR? They needed to get the
cars into customer hands ASAP. At the same time there were needs for
tests cars and the like, and being that the cars were now being mass
produced all they had to do was chose several. Undoubtedly they
would use some of the early cars just to get these necessary evils
out of the way, and also because they likely knew the first run of
cars would be a bit "cobby" and it would be better to go ahead and
use the needed amount of cars with these early production cars
instead of using higher quality later cars which would be better
suited for retail buyers. I have no doubt that a handful of the
first 150 cars had some sort of company usage, be it for PR
purposes, training for workers by rebuilding them, company cars,
etc; but I have never seen any evidence that this ENTIRE run of cars
was to be used SOLELY for company purposes and NOT meant for general
public consumption. Sorry Claude, but you can't badger us into
believing the first 150 cars were not for the public by repetedly
insisting your viewpoint is correct, when you really have no
evidence to back up these claims. If you can get JZD or another big
wig factory rep to come out and say your viewpoint is correct then I
might change my mind. But otherwise I see no conclusive evidence to
back up any of your ideas.

Louie Golden
VIN 5252 Charlotte, NC

Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 04:16:04 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

First, replace the fuel filter. See if you can blow through the old one.

Then ensure no fuel is leaking past the piston in the accumulator
(pull the bypass hose off the back and plug it with a 1/4" bolt, jump
the pump, and look for fuel from the bypass barb).

Replace the pump, especially if your new tank pickup was occassioned
by disintegration of original components.

If you truly are suffering from fuel starvation, opening the throttle
plates will lean the fuel/air mixture out unacceptably.

I've uploaded pics of my "Tuna Can Baffle" to #5939's photo album for
the curious. Is basically same size and principle as John Hervey's,
but with a solid bottom. Works like a charm.

Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 04:31:16 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: 99% Accurate DML Information

Is the other 1% the renegades and rebels?

Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 05:31:29 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

Unless you're loading it wrong, I see no reason that it should hinder
door operation.

http://dmcnews.com/faq/img/docs/doc_06a.gif

Maybe it's not a real DMC rack?

I know that there's another DML'er here on the list has the Ski Rack,
because he out-bid me on eBay a couple of years ago (no hard feelings.
In fact, since he skis, and I don't, I'm, glad he got it). If there
was any issue with loading the skis and poles, I'm certain that he
would have mentioned it by now.

Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 06:31:02 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

Like I said in the other post, DOT approves vehicle designs, not
individual cars. So ALL DMC-12 vehicles are "DOT Approved".

Now then. While your car might have an interesting history on the
assembly line, that still doesn't change the fact that it IS a
production vehicle. What happened to this vehicle before it's final
assembly is irrelivant. Since it got stamped with a VIN plate, that
means that it was just parts that were rebuilt into production
vehicle. The factory even states this by stamping the car with a
Production VIN plate AFTER serial # 500, before it left DMCL.

This is why I love DeLoreans. No build sheets, no numbers to match.
Just a VIN plate, and a whole lot less confusion. Cut and dry is nice.

Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 06:05:37 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

Umkay. The Department Of Transportation (DOT) does NOT test vehicles!
It is up to the manufacturer to carry out safety tests. Ie 3rd party
crash test, endurance testing, etc, with the results reported in.

Secondly, what we are discussing here is actual "pre-preduction"
status. Cars that were built before the vehicle with serial # "500"
was built. Since your car is #538, this negates any intended use by
DMC for the vehicle, because your particular car was manufactured
after production started. You own a production vehicle.

As for your car, who knows what's going on. If it's got no VIN tags,
or proper emissions labels, well, who knows what's up with it.
However, if it swims like a duck, quacks like a duck, comes from the
same underbody dies as a duck, and has the exact same equipment as a
production run duck, then it's NOT a pre-preduction duck. Err, car.

Now I'm not trying to incite anything here, but if your car does not
have any serial #'s/VIN tags, then how are you able to claim "VIN
538"? More imporantly, how are you able to register it with the local
DMV? Were the plates removed? Do you have an assigned serial # from
the state? Where did any of this information come from? Do you have
any documentation?

With this line of logic here, I could claim that my November 81 bulit
car, is a "pre-preduction, 1982 DeLorean".