From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2470
Date: Tuesday, February 08, 2005 8:47 AM

1. Re: Re: The Rare Deloreans
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

2. Re: Carfax No Deloreans?
From: ComposerZelgadis_at_dml_aol.com

3. Re: Re: The EARLY Deloreans
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

4. CV Boot replacement
From: "sweitzel_2000" <sweitzel_at_dml_lffltd.com>

5. Delo on ebay.com
From: "paul" <paul.morgan_at_dml_monifieth.co.uk>

6. Re:Clarify vin number pre production
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

7. Re: Michael J. Fox interview (BTTF reference)
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

8. RE: Re: Took car out on first drive in 1 1/2 years, not without problems, though
From: Michael Townsley <townfour_at_dml_mindspring.com>

9. Re: Just to clairify some misinformation
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

10. Re: Re: The EARLY Deloreans
From: "Lauren" <LPLand_at_dml_earthlink.net>

11. Re: Hunting unwanted grounds on the #12 fuse
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

12. Re: CABURATED PRV INSTALLED
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

13. Valuable DeLoreans -- The Other Side Of The Coin
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

14. DCS Pheasant Run Web page update
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

15. Re: Factory RHD cars -or- "Dan is Bored."
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

16. Re: Re:Clarify vin number pre production
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

17. Re: CABURATED PRV INSTALLED
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

18. South Florida Owners Meetup?
From: whocruiser_at_dml_aol.com

19. Dumb and Dumber
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>

20. Re: Just to inform some misclarification
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

21. Re: Factory RHD cars -or- "Dan is Bored."
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

22. Owners / Enthusiasts in the Raleigh-Durham area
From: "Michael C. Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>

23. Re: Delo on ebay.com
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

24. Re: South Florida Owners Meetup?
From: "Steven L. Alves" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>

25. Forgot To Mention Re: Potential Wiring Harness Damage (Rich)
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 12:23:43 -0800 (PST)
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Re: The Rare Deloreans

--And just to add a bit to what Mike said, the VIN 500 car has the early style VIN plate on the dash (the one that read: "DeLorean Motor Cars Ltd.  Belfast - N. Ireland") and the VIN tag on the door sill (including the build date of JAN. '81).

-So it looks like the intended procedure from car #1 was to have two vin tags.  I've got a ton of detailed pics of this car if anyone wants to dispute!  :-)

Jake Kamphoefner
1063 --> early, but not *that* early.

Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu> wrote:

I happened to visit VIN 500 at the Crawford Museum Saturday night. Here
are a few other details:

VIN 500 was donated by Jeff Abrams, a Consolidated executive, not
purchased by the Crawford.

VIN 500 is displayed with its factory window sticker, just like any
production car at any new car dealership. The VIN on the sticker
matches the VIN on the dashboard. I doubt that pre-production cars get
such stickers.

To me the window sticker is clear evidence that VIN 500 and every
DeLorean thereafter are "production" DeLoreans.

- Mike Substelny

Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 15:13:50 EST
From: ComposerZelgadis_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Carfax No Deloreans?

I've run a CarFax report on my soon-to-be DeLorean.  They had the car  on
file, but only with minimal information.

Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 12:28:13 -0800 (PST)
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Re: The EARLY Deloreans

I've read a couple posts saying that Carson's car was one of the first ones to hit the shores.  According to everything I can find (and what I can remember from seeing the car), Carson's was a late '81, October build, VIN 4523.  The VIN wasn't that low.  Looks like even Johnny had to wait a little for the hottest car of 1981.

Jake Kamphoefner
1063

David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net> wrote:

It would seem that you took some early mis-information and tried to
use it to make your car seem more valuable than it really is. In any
case you no longer own vin 570 so what is your point? Even Johnny
Carson's car was owned by DMC but it is not valuable because of it's
low vin and no one is saying it is.

Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 21:42:26 -0000
From: "sweitzel_2000" <sweitzel_at_dml_lffltd.com>
Subject: CV Boot replacement

Group,

What is the preferred procedure for replacing the CV boots on an
automatic? Does the entire axle shaft have to come out of the car? or
is there some trick that makes it easy?

Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 21:46:30 +0000
From: "paul" <paul.morgan_at_dml_monifieth.co.uk>
Subject: Delo on ebay.com

How would one go about repairing the wear and tear to the rear fascia & why
is it such a different shade to the rest of the car?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31830&item=4525325494&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

The front spoiler just looks like it needs some "back to black" cream
treatment.
Any other comments on this car?
Like "wouldn't you have tucked that stereo wire away?"!

Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 21:42:06 -0000
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re:Clarify vin number pre production

Ken,

Hate to say this(and don't want to say how) but the other "vin
plate" is easy enought to switch,just study it and you will know
what I mean.
Regards
Claude

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, kKoncelik_at_dml_a... wrote:

> Some of these cars and I do not know how long it lasted had the
information
> on the dash vin plate only.  It is a different vin plate from what
most of  us
> are used to but in the early cars this alternate plate was used
and there was
>  no door vin number plate.
> Vin 500 is the same way in Cleveland and it is the FIRST
PRODUCTION CAR so

Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 22:29:27 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Michael J. Fox interview (BTTF reference)

FYI,

Since I am stuck working the night shift this week for a client,
I caught a little daytime TV today. (surfing the cable channels)

Michael J. Fox had a long interview today on the talk show Jane
(Jane Pauley).  I did not see the whole show, but apparently he
was on for most of the first 1/2 hour and then again at the end
of the show.  I did catch a reference to BTTF when Jane asked if
he still played the guitar, like he did in BTTF and Michael did
say that he still played, but not as often as he would like.

As you may have guessed, the primary focus of the show was about
Parkinson's disease, the Michael J. Fox Foundation, etc.

Michael did make an interesting final statement near the end of
the show, which was "Make sure not to waste any day you have to
do something meaningful since you will never get that day back".
I guess that can be the thought for the day.

Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 15:46:11 -0800 (PST)
From: Michael Townsley <townfour_at_dml_mindspring.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Took car out on first drive in 1 1/2 years, not without problems, though

[Moderator Note: This message approved for comparison purposes only.  Anyone wanting to discuss Mercedes repair should do so via private email, or use one of the many fine Mercedes forums available.  - Mike Substelny, DML moderator of the week]

I have been following this thread with great interest...I have a 1984 380 SL which sets a lot that is behaving the same way i.e. it will not run at all under load until the engine operating temperature reachs its normal level...it will run ok then but abit rough on acceleration. I have replaced the fuel filter, plugs, ignition wires, etc to no avail...the vacuum gauge also drops off abit...some days though it runs just fine but if you shut it off and then restart it the problem may show up. My further testing is leading me to believe the problem is with the warm-up regulator or the idle control unit. My Delorean has not had this very fustrating problem.

Mike Townsley
Vin # 17043 (not a preproduction model...but it does have twin turbos...post production)

Joseph Kuchan <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com> wrote:

> I haven't been following this thread, so I might be way off base here, but
> if the car is running poorly until it warms up, the issue could also be the
> converse of what David Teitelbaum suggests: The three port vacuum switch
> applies vacuum to the warm up regulator until the car is warm so if there
> was a vacuum leak on the warmup regulator side of that vacuum switch or a
> problem with the cold control pressure (under the control of the warmup
> regulator) that could also make the car run poorly until it is warmed up.
>
> What David suggests - that base timing is off - is certainly possible. Just
> want to point out that you shouldn't overlook the possibility that something
> is amiss over on the warmup regulator side of that vacuum circuit.
>
> Again, I haven't been following this thread and may be way off, so if I am
> just chalk it up to that!
>
> -Joe Kuchan

[long quote trimmed by moderator]

Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 00:27:55 -0000
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Just to clairify some misinformation

NO NO not DOA as in the Delorean site/group,but D.O.A. as in Dead ON
Arrival. or D.O.A. Was sure 99 9/10 of the people out there knew
what D.O.A meant.This is for that 1/10 that knew not better.
Regards
Claude

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Dan Deutsch" <danrc30_at_dml_h...> wrote:

> 2)    That comment about Cuban refugees at sea being members of
the DOA was
> PRICELESS!!! Lol!!!
>
> ---Evil Dan
>
> PS- I think Ken summed it up from JZD's comments about vin 500.
>

> Give credit where it is due, Pilot is very rare, Legends are rare,
Gold

Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 19:32:46 -0700
From: "Lauren" <LPLand_at_dml_earthlink.net>

Robert VIN 6585"X" wrote:

> Many cars are hidden,
>It will just take some time for them to surface.

Hopefully the price that Proto One fetched will flush them out of
hiding.

........................LP
10440 (it's special only because it's mine!)

Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 01:18:50 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Hunting unwanted grounds on the #12 fuse

All those wire junctions are under the console (Purple, Green,
Red/Orange, etc).

Have you damaged either of the two harnesses that pass under the
console? It's easy to pierce them with the trim screws that hold the
shift boot plate.

Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 02:12:06 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: CABURATED PRV INSTALLED

Step #1: Find a suitable intake manifold. In all seriousness, that is
the *ONLY* stumbling block for a small group of owners looking to
experiment with alternative fuel metering. I was going to try
modifying a B280/Chrysler 3.0 manifold for Dani, but he now has his K
Jetronic up & running so the point may be moot (until the first time
he tries to change plug wires, heater core hoses, clutch slave
cylinder, etc...).

There's a pic of my own conversion in #5939's photo album, taken in
the middle of the night Wednesday (right before the 6/10 message you
read). Notice the lack of louvers and engine cover. Maiden voyage
through the sleeping streets of Laurinburg failed due to a clogged
coolant system. Cosmoline was flushed out the next day, and I left on
a 2,000 mile shakedown cruise that Friday. That's how much faith I
have in carburetion (have been motoring no sweat ever since).

If you do decide to experiment with carburetion, and if you manage to
find a suitable intake manifold, there really aren't many other mod's
necessary (all reversible of course):
- Substitute a low PSI fuel pump in the tank
- (I'd recommend running a new fuel to the back of the car, with an
easily accessed cartridge fuel filter)
- Run a ported 3/16" vacuum line to the distributor
- Run a full 3/8" vacuum line, with check valve, to the HVAC/brake
booster Tee
- Run PCV through a valve into the carb
- Either cut the factory throttle cable to fit your carb or run a new one

That's all it takes for trouble free thereafter fuel delivery (IMHO).

Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 04:03:54 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Valuable DeLoreans -- The Other Side Of The Coin

Regarding the extinguished "Rare" thread and variants:

Many of us are owners precisely because our cars are NOT exceptionally
valuable. For some, high entry prices would simply be unobtainable.
For others, such costs could not be justified even if funds were
available. This is yet another aspect in which DeLoreans are unique:
how many other vehicles with such a legend, such an actual history,
and such ongoing public appeal are affordable by non-traditional car
collectors? And if our DeLoreans were really so valuable, how many of
us would use them as daily drivers or caravan to shows versus
trailering? I would argue that generally low DeLorean prices are the
greatest testament to JZD's original vision: putting as many cars into
as many driveways to be enjoyed by as many people as possible, today
as much as 1981.

And to avoid any future confusion, IMHO #5939 is the most valuable
DeLorean out there because it's mine.

Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 23:43:35 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DCS Pheasant Run Web page update

Well Gary did it again and the web site for DCS is now updated for Pheasant
run
I have not added all of the things we are planning and it does not include
some items that the Chicago Group may be doing so that will come later once we
have some details.

Please check out the daily events.  At this point it is tentative but  as in
the past it is pretty representative of what will happen.  Our guest  list is
not yet totally defined and I do not do that until Oct. so we still have  a
few months.

Check out the pre show pics They are cool.

Again thanks Gary for another great website.

_www.deloreancarshow.com_ (http://www.deloreancarshow.com)

Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 04:07:34 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Factory RHD cars -or- "Dan is Bored."

Very common for a factory to outsource finishing work on cars. Many
send their cars to shops to have sunroofs cut in before delivering to
a selling dealer. DMC was going to have all the cars go through Legend
Industries for the turbo install. All these cars would still be
considerd "Production". The fact that the factory did not do all the
work on the production line does not mean the car was not a
"production" car. Another example is the fact that most (if not all)
Deloreans went through QAC. Even that cannot change the status of a
"production" vehicle. The 83's were handbuilt after the factory closed
down. Again these are still considered "production". At this point the
only way you can say a Delorean is NOT a production car is if it has a
vin below 500. Some cars with vin's above 500 may have special status
but I do not believe you can call them "Pre-Production". Some buyers
may call their 83 Delorean "RARE" in an advervetisment to sell their
car but in reality they are no rarer than any other Delorean. Some may
consider a low vin (above 500) special because it was origionally
assigned to a company offical. This does not make it "pre-production".
This may make it special because of it's history (provanance) but it
does not make it "pre-production". IMHO the only way you can make the
claim preproduction is if it has a vin # lower than 500 or some other
special designation that is not a vin # above 500. Pilot 25 is a
pre-production car and rightly so. As boring as this may be to some it
may mean a lot of $$$ to others. RHD cars are special all by
themselves. There are not many and the conversion is custom and one-of
which is expensive.

Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 23:53:44 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re:Clarify vin number pre production

In a message dated 2/7/2005 11:44:32 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net writes:

Ken,

Hate to say this(and don't want to say how) but the other  "vin
plate" is easy enought to switch,just study it and you will know
what I mean.
Regards
Claude

Both are easy to change but the one in the dash seems to be the one that
floats.
some are just stuck on others are riveted.  The one in the door seem  to stay
there as I have rarely seen one of these missing but even at the shows  we
find them missing the dash one.

Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 05:28:11 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

Bill, I'm still interested in converting to Carb. I've been hunting
all over the UK looking for the "A" series manifold, seems I'm getting
a bit closer every day. The only problem that stopped me from using
the 3.0 manifold was how high everything would sit, modification or
removal of the lower cover would be required. I may have the K up and
running, but I'm still experimenting with all the possible manifolds,
K can be removed and reinstalled if wished-at least I know it now
works. I'm am finding how and where to modify manifolds to mount a
carb, including our own manifolds that come stock. I'll let you know
if I find somthing suitable-that is if the "A" series hasen't been
found yet. -----Dani B. #5003

Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 00:55:12 EST
From: whocruiser_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: South Florida Owners Meetup?

In a message dated 2/7/2005 8:30:35 AM Eastern Standard Time,
dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com writes:

> Message: 2
>    Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 22:54:38 -0500
>    From: "Steven L. Alves" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>
> Subject: Re: Audio system solutions?
>

> We really need a Florida club.
>
> Steve

I'm also in the Ft. Lauderdale area and would like to see a local group
organized here.  I already have enough projects & commitments that I couldn't run
it myself, but I'd certainly show up when I could if someone else was to run
one.  In the mean time, I have recently talked to one of the guys who runs the
weekly car show every Friday night from 6-10pm at the Tower Shops plaza in
Davie (right by where I-595 meets University Drive) and he'd be happy to set aside
some spaces all together for us to come out and display (OK, show off...) our
cars.  I'd be up for trying it on the last Friday of this month, the 25th of
February, how many others would come out and join me if we did that?  And
anyone willing to drive in from Orlando, Tampa, or wherever would of course be
welcome.  Or if that's too soon, perhaps in March?  We can briefly discuss it
here on the list, or anyone can e-mail me off the list at whocruiser_at_dml_aol.com

Dan Harris - VIN# 1662 - FL Tag# MY 81DMC

          *****WhoCruiser_at_dml_aol.com is Dan Harris*****
WhoCruiser's Personal Home Page: http://members.aol.com/WhoCruiser
Read about The Sci-Fi Sea Cruise at: http://www.scificruise.com
Purr-use The Cat House at: http://members.aol.com/LookAtMyCatsPage

Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 06:24:27 +0000
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Dumb and Dumber

Dumb...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=88433&item=5555657885&rd=1

and Dumber....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=88433&item=5556180300&rd=1

Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 06:39:09 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: Just to inform some misclarification

[Moderator Note: This topic is now closed.  -Mike Substelny, DML moderator of the week]

That comment was sarcasm, Claude. Sarcasm that took advantage of the
opprotunity for a quick punchline. And this follow-up post was for the
1 in 1568 DML'ers who didn't get the joke.*

Yes, I did it. And I'd do it again. I am both a wise-ass, and a
thread-killer. But I still don't understand the comparison that you
were trying to make. I'm open to hearing it, but I just didn't see the
connection.

But the vision I had, that you inspired, of DeLoreans floating around
in the open sea with pontoons tied to them, being powered by vintage
Russian diesel engines, and piloted by Cuban refugees still makes me
giggle.

"When this baby hits 88 knots!" & "You built a raft, out of a
DeLorean? The way I see it, if you're gonna sneak into America, why
not do it with some style!" I could go on all night, thank you!

*this number is based upon current, factual information.

Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 10:37:59 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Hi Robert, I feel the need to jump in here, not to correct but to add
some info.

>HOWEVER, these vehicles, were converted to right hand drive, whilst
>their legal ownership was retained by DMCL, and BEFORE they were
>released from the factory for public sale/distribution. Sure, the
>work was farmed out to Wooler Hodec, for the conversion process.

<snip>

There were in fact three DeLoreans converted at the factory. A lot of
people would argue with this, but we also know -why- a lot of people
don't know about these three cars. They are not in the "run" of
wooler-hodec right-handers which carry 12171-12181 May'82 vin plates.
The car we have in the workshop at the moment is vin# 5565 and is an
october 81 car with all body panels and underbody conforming to this
time except the doors which have plastic guides and 05/82 -written- in
them. This is backwards from the wooler-hodec cars which have early
underbodies and doors but late panels. There are two basic differences
across all the right-handers done at the time, which relates to the
brakes. Some have the original servo setup with the servo/m/c assembly
on the end of an extension down the right front corner

http://www.deloreans.co.uk/features/eurospec/big_pics/mcylinder01.jpg

Others have the m/c directly on the end of the pedal, and two remote
servos, one for the front and one for the rear. I beleive the three
factory converted cars all have the twin-servo setup, and I know of one
Wooler-hodec car with the same. The three factory cars are most
identifiable by the aerial being on the roof.

All of those that I have seen have overcome some major problems in the
conversion process - namely the fitting of the vent box to the left,
which is extremely difficult, and the fabrication of steering rack
parts, which although very similar to the Lotur Esprit, and therefore
interchangable with a right-hand esprit rack (you'd think), isn't close
enough to allow direct swap-out.

>Since there are no Production Specifications that these cars must
>adhere to, that allows for variances such aerials, foglights, marker
>light colors/placement/absence, etc... The same goes for the "Factory
>Euro-Spec", LHD cars.

There is actually only one left-hand drive car that has this setup.
(rear lights, front indicators and 140mph speedo). Read more here

http://www.deloreans.co.uk/features/eurospec/eurospec.html

Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 08:01:03 -0500
From: "Michael C. Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Owners / Enthusiasts in the Raleigh-Durham area

Hey all,

With a DeLorean back in my garage again, I wanted to see if there were
any other DeLorean owners in the RTP area that would like to get
together.

Also any enthusiasts that would be interested in seeing a DeLorean up
close and personal let me know (I am always more than happy to show
her off).

Feel free to contact me off of the list at "mcb at babbtechnology.com"

Michael
The Quintessential DeLorean Website

Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 07:50:41 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Delo on ebay.com

It has a funny looking dashboard and the entire glovebox is missing, it
doesnt even show the glovebox door.

Mark V

Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 09:12:13 -0500
From: "Steven L. Alves" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>
Subject: Re: South Florida Owners Meetup?

Dan, I have been going to the Tower Shops show for the last 3 weeks. I have
tried emailing you off list and calling but haven't been able to get a hold
of you. If you or anyone else want to meet up in South Florida, drop me a
line off list and we can figure it out.

Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 14:29:04 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Forgot To Mention Re: Potential Wiring Harness Damage (Rich)

Forgot to mention: I don't think the wiring harnesses are supposed to
pass under the bracket that holds the shift boot cover/switches bezel.
The problem is: without some sort of restraint they have a tendency to
fall out on either side of the console (that's why I was routing mine
under the bracket). After repairing the damage caused by a piercing
trim screw, I added two staps 1/3 and 2/3 of the way along the center
spine to hold everything up top, and routed the harnesses safely on
the outside of that bracket. Makes installing those two nuts rather
obnoxious, but better than a short circuit.