From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2471
Date: Tuesday, February 08, 2005 9:27 PM

1. Re: Carfax No Deloreans?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

2. Re: CV Boot replacement
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

3. Re: Magazine $$
From: "Dave" <v-davidj_at_dml_microsoft.com>

4. Re: CV Boot replacement
From: mike clemens <rmclemns_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. RE: South Florida Owners Meetup?
From: "Richard Caliendo" <racaliendo_at_dml_msn.com>

6. 2005 Celebration Exotic Car Concours!
From: "jeff512tr" <cingular512_at_dml_comcast.net>

7. Re: Dumb and Dumber
From: Japheth Deaux <secret_jedi_guy_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: Delo on ebay.com
From: "Nun Yah" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Raleigh, NC St. Patrick's Day Parade
From: "Michael C. Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>

10. Quick tranny question
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Millennium Concours tip of the day (clock)
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>

12. Re: Delo on ebay.com
From: "mydmc5898" <mydmc5898_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Re: CV Boot replacement
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

14. Re: Delo on ebay.com
From: "dmcorlando2003" <SundeQuick_at_dml_aol.com>

15. RE: South Florida Owners Meetup?
From: "Richard T. Herrick, MD" <docrth_at_dml_verizon.net>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 15:04:24 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Carfax No Deloreans?

You might get a better idea of the car's history if you contact the
nearest Delorean vendor and/or the vendor that the present owner has
delt with. You can also do a search in most States of the chain of
ownership but that costs money and takes time. All that will tell you
is the names of the previous owners, the addresses, the dates bought
and sold, and the mileage at time of sale. Carfax does not seem to be
very useful on old cars (over around 10 years).

Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 15:17:41 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: CV Boot replacement

5-speed or automatic does not matter. You can replace the a boot
without removing the half-shaft but it makes it so much easier to
remove it completely from the car. There is a lot more to this than
just replacing the boot. You should disassemble the joint and clean
and inspect it. Reassemble and lubricate it. You should do all 4. The
"trick" that makes it easy is experience. Once you do it you will be
able to do it a whole lot faster. To remove the half-shafts you just
have to undo a whole bunch of bolts. You will need a retaining ring
removal tool (external expanding kind). Depending on the type of strap
you use to hold the boots you may also need a tool for them. Some
types use a winding kind of thing to tighten and secure the strap.

Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 16:58:55 -0000
From: "Dave" <v-davidj_at_dml_microsoft.com>
Subject: Re: Magazine $$

Good question.  I think that Gullwing and DCS should definitely merge.
 If those two joined forces, I can only imagine the kick ass a
magazine they could produce.  Then again…maybe competition is a good
thing?

Dave Jacobs

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_r...> wrote:

> Has anyone thought about organizing the three (Gullwing, DCS, and
> deloreans) into one? It would take a lot of effort and compromise from
> the various players, but when all was said and done the result would
> be a nice thick magazine with plenty of content for a good price.
>
> I'm sure this is one of those "It will never happen" ideas, but
> imagine if it did. If I were the editor of any of these magazines, I'd
> have pursued this with the others long ago. Shoot, even if you gave
> each of the three players a third of the final product - essentially
> sending out three magazines in one so everyone keeps their little
> slice of the pie, then split any profits three ways equally - you'd
> triple your subscribers and slash your printing & mailing costs.
>
> -Ryan

[long quote trimmed by moderator]

Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 09:33:31 -0800 (PST)
From: mike clemens <rmclemns_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I replaced the boots on my automatic and it only took
about 4 hours, start to finish.  Remove the four bolts
on each end of the shaft, drop them off the car,
change boots, and reinstall.  I had the backend up on
jackstands and the wheels removed so the access was a
lot easier and you can also spin the axle shaft to get
to the bolts.

Mike      Pizza Special

Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 11:28:48 -0500
From: "Richard Caliendo" <racaliendo_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: RE: South Florida Owners Meetup?

Hey Everyone,

I'm from the Chicago area and I'm a member of the Delorean Midwest
Connection up-there. However work has me splitting my time between Boca
Raton and Chicago, which is not half bad at this time of year. Anyway my D
is up in Chicago, but I would love to be a part of the Delorean community
down in South Florida also. I think that if there is not a club we should
think about starting something. Anyway I will be heading back to Chicago
tomorrow for about 10 days returning to South Florida on the 19th. The show
in Davie sounds like fun. Anyone interested please respond on the list or
privately and let's try to set something going.

Thanks;

Richie Caliendo
racaliendo_at_dml_msn.com

[very long quote trimmed by moderator]

Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 18:49:48 -0000
From: "jeff512tr" <cingular512_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: 2005 Celebration Exotic Car Concours!

Hello!
The annual Celebration Exotic Car concours event will be held the
weekend of
April 30-May 1, 2005, in Disney's beautiful town of Celebration,
Florida,
adjacent to Walt Disney World. If you attended in 2004, you know what
great event it was, and if not, you have probably heard about it!

Last years inaugural event had over 100 exotic cars including Ferrari,
Maserati, Lamborghini, Pantera, 14 DeLoreans, Aston Martin, Lotus,
Rolls Royce
and more. This year we have expanded the concours field and can
accommodate
145 cars, but please register soon as we are expecting the event to
be sold
out.

We have some special surprises this year, and our event promises to
host
some of the rarest and most exotic cars on the planet.

Disney is expecting 15,000-20,000 spectators this year. The proceeds
of the
event will go directly to Make-A-Wish and Give Kids The World. In
2004, we
donated $40,000 to Make-A-Wish with some matching corporate funds,
and this
year we hope to do even better!

This year the concours event will be on Saturday, April 30, with
class award
presentations on the field. Saturday evening there will be a black tie
(optional) dinner and major awards banquet at the Celebration Hotel.
Sunday,
May 1, will be our first annual rally, and will be a fun and
challenging day
to drive your cars and see central Florida!

A block of rooms is being held at the Celebration Hotel at a discount
rate.
Please call 407-566-6000 for reservation and mention the Exotic Car
Show.

Please register on-line at www.celebrationexoticcars.com

Again, please register early to avoid being sold out of this premier
event!

See you in April!

Jeff Ippoliti
Event Chairman
1983 DMC #20022

Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 12:56:55 -0800 (PST)
From: Japheth Deaux <secret_jedi_guy_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Dumb and Dumber

Hey Alex,

Before calling something dumb, maybe you should look
into the reasons first.  No one on this list can deny
the fact that this car gets lots of attention.  This
is my D'.  It isn't in the best shape on the inside
and I don't have the finances to get those things
fixed, but from the outside it looks new.  If I can
usse that attention and it's looks in one of the
hottest markets in the U.S. to make me some cash to
finance vin 1223's restoration then so be it.  I
actually have interested buyers.  It's a way to make
some money off the car without selling it.  That
doesn't seem dumb to me.

Japheth VIN: 1223

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=88433&item=5555657885&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=88433&item=5556180300&rd=1

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 21:32:33 -0000
From: "Nun Yah" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Delo on ebay.com

Mark,
  If you look closely you can see a dash cover, that covers up the
glovebox, on the car. I thought the same thing you did when I saw it
but I looked at it again and saw the outline of the dash cover.

Josh

Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 16:42:50 -0500
From: "Michael C. Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Raleigh, NC St. Patrick's Day Parade

Anyone interested in joining me in the Raleigh, NC St. Patrick's Day
Parade?  There is no charge to participate, and I will be sending in
my application to drive in the next day or two.

The parade is March 12th, with the line up beginning at 10:00.
Additional information is located at http://www.raleighstpats.org/

Le me know if you want to drive together at mcb at babbtechnology.com
ASAP and I will hopefully see a few of you at the parade!

--
Michael C. Babb

Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 14:57:52 -0800 (PST)
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Quick tranny question

Hey guys,

Quick question.  Whenever I go in reverse, everything
sits for a second or two, then reverse engages.  Today
when I got to school, I wanted to reverse really
quickly to straighten out in parking lot (hadn't shut
car off yet).  When I selected reverse, it
waited...prolly about 4 seconds and then engaged.  I
shifted back and forth to see if this was going to be
continual; it shifted fine after that.  I have had a
ongoing leak for over a year, but the fluid level is
still "Hot" when checked...

My question with the reverse issue - does this ever
happen to anyone else?  It's extremely sporadic - only
has happened 3 times that I can remember.  I just
wanted some people's thoughts on this.  I'm not taking
my tranny down and breaking it all apart before asking this....

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 23:02:40 -0000
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>
Subject: Millennium Concours tip of the day (clock)

I have been sharing some simple tips for concours participants on
the dedicated Millenium Concours competitors forum, but I thought
some of you might enjoy seeing some of these tips so I'll also share
them here. If anyone is interested in the concours or just curious
about additional details for the event, feel free to also check out
the dedicated Millennium-Concours yahoo group where most of the
event-specific discussion is being concentrated.

These tips generally come from deductions that have been encoutnered
in the past that would have been trivial for the competitor to have
avoided. I suspect Ken K learned some of these tips the hard way.

TIP: If you are bringing your car in from a different timezone or you
have had the battery disconnected during periods of storage, check
to ensure you have the correct local time on the console clock (or
the ASI radio clock). Getting a deduction because the battery had
been disconnected and you forgot to reset the clock is a real bummer
and something that is so easily avoided.

ORIGIN: The origin of the criteria in the handbook generally stem
from various documents that have been discovered in the DMCH
archives. My understanding is that the origin of this particular
item is the pre-delivery inspection checklist which calls out that
the clock be properly set for the local time where the car is being
delivered.

            Knut

Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 23:23:15 -0000
From: "mydmc5898" <mydmc5898_at_dml_yahoo.com>

It looks like a cover I made for my own car out of vinal. But when I
made my cover I cut out a space for the glove box.

Darryl

Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 19:36:33 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 2/7/05 10:43:16 PM Central Standard Time,
sweitzel_at_dml_lffltd.com writes:

> Group,
>
> What is the preferred procedure for replacing the CV boots on an
> automatic? Does the entire axle shaft have to come out of the car? or
> is there some trick that makes it easy?

When I did mine I bought my boot kit from Marty Maier on the Midstate DMC
website (www.midstatedmc.com).  the whole shaft come out.  You can do one shaft
in about an hour if you have the right tools.  Really all you need are
wrenches, sockets, ratchet, and a retaining ring plier/remover, oh yeah and a CV boot
strap tool available at pretty much any parts store. Super messy but it's a
necessary evil.  Just follow the instruction in the tech section of DMCNEWS.com,
written up by Dave Swingle I believe.

Good luck!

Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 00:05:43 -0000
From: "dmcorlando2003" <SundeQuick_at_dml_aol.com>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_w...> wrote:

> It has a funny looking dashboard and the entire glovebox is
missing, it
> doesnt even show the glovebox door.
>
> Mark V

The Dashboard has a thin "pad" on it.  It covers the speakers as well
and has a small cut out for the VIN plate.  Also Binacle has been
successfully (?) recovered as well.  Adn cloth seats and its an auto
so 5 bucks says it needs a new trans computer

I would pass it up (JMHO)

Michael Q

Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 21:03:31 -0500
From: "Richard T. Herrick, MD" <docrth_at_dml_verizon.net>

[MODERATOR NOTE: The DML often allows people to arrange meet-ups, but this is becoming a "me too" thread.  I urge someone to take the initiative here before I am forced to kill this thread.   - Mike Substelny DML moderator of the week]

WE REALLY do need  a FL club
DocRTH
Redington Shores(St Pete area)