From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2473
Date: Thursday, February 10, 2005 8:49 PM

1. Millennium Concours valuable participant benefits upcoming
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>

2. Re: Delo on ebay.com
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: Millennium Concours tip of the day (clock)
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>

4. contact info for John Delorean?
From: "sweitzel_2000" <sweitzel_at_dml_lffltd.com>

5. Florida Group
From: "Steven L. Alves" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>

6. Ebay listing..too good to be TRUE.!!
From: "ashtonorlan" <ashtonorlan_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Re: Quick tranny question
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

8. Re: Delo on ebay.com
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

9. Re: Ebay listing..too good to be TRUE.!!
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. Millennium Concours vehicle differences and competing with 83's
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>

11. Re: Millennium Concours vehicle differences and competing with 83's
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

12. BTTF actor Tom Wilson performing comedy in Hermosa Beach
From: "BTTF.com" <stephen_at_dml_bttf.com>

13. Unusual Repair
From: "Steven L. Alves" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 22:04:18 -0000
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>
Subject: Millennium Concours valuable participant benefits upcoming

As you have already heard, the Millennium Concours is now a
jointly sponsored event supported by DeLorean Motor Company
(Texas), P.J. Grady (NY), and DeLorean Motor Center (CA).
The three corporate sponsors have developed a fantastic
program for concours participants that I think everyone will
find to be very generous. If you have considered
participating, this event is one that I think you'll find
could be very rewarding.

    Knut

Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 22:38:36 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Delo on ebay.com

That isn't a dashcover. That is a hillbilly method of covering dash
cracks. And the same "quality" method was used on the binnacle as
well. I'm from W.V.a. originally, so I know hillbillies.

Watch out for this one, looks to need quite a bit of work, but with
the right money, it is descent enough to restore.

Joe OBrien

2524,
16634,
16815

Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 23:13:35 -0000
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>
Subject: Re: Millennium Concours tip of the day (clock)

[MODERATOR NOTE:  Feel free to continue discussing the sponsorship, psychological experience, and other aspects of concours competition.  But if you have questions or comments about the Millenium concours manual and standards, please take them to the forum dedicated to that subject.  - Mike Substelny, DML moderator of the week]

As David points out, one of the real challenges for developing a
precise handbook for the Millennium Concours is indeed how all the
variability in the cars is handled. Great effort has been taken in
adequately capturing these factors in the handbook and judging
criteria, but at the same time it is likely that it's not perfect.

The concours will likely be an effort involving continual
improvement as the handbook and corresponding criteria are
continually refined based on the latest known information. In fact,
the handbook is undergoing revision now in preparation for the next
event, and areas of doubt raised at the last event are being
researched to ensure they are sound.

In addition, the corporate sponsors will be adding their vast
experience in a review of the judging criteria to ensure it meets
their high standards. If anyone is aware of inaccuracies in the
handbook, please bring them to my attention so resources can be
focused on those areas. The dedicated millennium-concours group
might be most appropriate for discussions about the details of
judging criteria in order to avoid excessively distracting this
group.

         Knut

<snip>

Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 02:48:47 -0000
From: "sweitzel_2000" <sweitzel_at_dml_lffltd.com>
Subject: contact info for John Delorean?

[MODERATOR NOTE: If anyone cares to respond, please do so by private email.  - Mike Substelny, DML moderator of the week]

Group, I have a question
Say I wanted to write a letter to JZD. Does anyone have contact info
for him? Have any of you written to him in the past and or know if he
tends to respond?

Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 22:38:56 -0500
From: "Steven L. Alves" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>
Subject: Florida Group

Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 04:10:28 -0000
From: "ashtonorlan" <ashtonorlan_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Ebay listing..too good to be TRUE.!!

Couldn't help meself.

ViewItem&rd=1&item=7953614547&category=46098#ebayphotohosting

Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 04:45:18 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Quick tranny question

Low fluid can cause the symptom you describe however, I would
suspect that the lever was just "close" to reverse - not quite there
in those few instances you observed the long delay or no engagement.
Another possibility could be leaking at or sticking of the B1
brake/clutch - reverse is the only time it is "on". If there is no
slipping, I wouldn't worry about it. I would probably change the
fluid, using a good synthetic to see if that helped, and check to be
sure the linkage is adjusted correctly.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Enid/Jeremiah

Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 04:57:36 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

This car has defintly sat outside for a LONG time. I'd check
out the frame before purchasing this-or at least having the buyer take
pictures of the frame. With all the sun damage on the exterior and
interior-thats enough to tell you it sat outside for a long time.
THEN-the TIRES are shined ONLY on the parts where the tires rutted
into the ground from sitting so long-just look at the pictures; only
"parts" of the tires are shined. And the picture of the rear pass tire
gives it away, mud caked into the treds, the way the mud is, and the
liquid for shining running down it-definitly sat long enough to rut
down into the earth=no good. Get pictures of the frame, front end,
stuff like that if your definitly interested. This will take lots of
money to fix up, and perhaps it is overpriced as it is now?? BEWARE
GUYS...-----Dani B. #5003

Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 06:02:56 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Ebay listing..too good to be TRUE.!!

He is probably working on a BTTF car...  This guy does
move car replicas.

http://www.bkauto.net/custom%20showroom.htm

http://my.yahoo.com

Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 18:51:15 -0000
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>
Subject: Millennium Concours vehicle differences and competing with 83's

[MODERATOR NOTE: Those interested in this topic should check out the discussion in the Millenium concours forum:
- Mike Substelny, DML moderator of the week]

I received a question about competing with model 83 cars and whether
they were disadvantaged due to having build differences the earlier
production cars. I thought I would try to clear this up.

There is no inherent penalty for an 83 model year car entered in the
concours competition. There are indeed a lot of changes to the 83
compared with the 81 cars, but as long as factory documentation has
been found to substantiate those changes the judging handbook aligns
accordingly (hopefully). The cars are judged against how the factory
indicated those cars were supposed to be built. The 83's were
supposed to be built differently and the handbook should reflect
this. For example, 83's are required to have the ASI radio instead
of the Craig radio since that's what the factory put into those cars.

Ken Koncelick competes regularly in the concours with his 83 car(s)
and he does very well. He has his eye on the top spot this time
around and has been preparing his 83 for the event accordingly.

Bottom line is that there should be no inherent penalty for an 83
car. For those interested in the details, the judging handbook is
available for download in a couple different palces (including the
competitors forum). If you find discrepancies in the handbook, now
is a good time to raise them since it will be updated with the
latest known researched information in preparation for this years'
event.

                        Knut

Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 16:22:46 -0500
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

I agree that 83's are not much different to judge than the other years .  The only thing I think is a disadvantage is in the cleanliness catagory.

Since it is undercoated it does not and will never look as spectacular as a clean undercarriage of a non undercoated one.
That is why I brought the 170 mile 81 car to Houston.

The disadvantage is that it is just not looked at as being as clean.  This is the only thing I think is a disadvantage for the 83.(especially the white glove test LOL)

Its not a matter of point deduction and there certainly is notning in the manual specifically to deduct points but it does give an overall impression of the car is not as clean.
On the other hand (this moderator specifically) has stated my undercarriage is "Clean as a whistle" on one of the judging sheets.

I have been told by other judges that it did distract from the judging since you cannot see things as well.

Either way this is just something that IS a part of the car and I am more than happy with my 83 and have no intentions of changing that.  SO if I don't get a point or two somewhere then that is the way it is.

I do have one suggestion
You want to know if the undercoating should be removed on 83 concours cars (NO leave it as is)
I would write it that the undercoating needs to cover the metal components that it is intended to protect.
But don't take off for overspray since every car is different.
But do allow us to clean some of the overspray off to make the cars more presentable.  It will give the 83's a better and more even chance.

Again I love my 83 and would never discourage anyone from entering an 83.  I have been 1/2 point from victory from Chris Smiths car so I am right there at the top.
I just need to get shoved over.

You will either love the way I cleaned my car or not
It is quite dramatic from the last time you saw it.

So this will be interesting.

Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 22:02:52 -0000
From: "BTTF.com" <stephen_at_dml_bttf.com>
Subject: BTTF actor Tom Wilson performing comedy in Hermosa Beach

Those of you who missed out on seeing actor/comedian Tom Wilson
("Biff" from BTTF) last week at the ArcLight screening in Hollywood
will have another opportunity to see him live on stage -- but this
time performing comedy standup at the Comedy & Magic Club in Hermosa
Beach, California on Monday, February 14.

Details can be found at BTTF.com:

http://www.bttf.com/index.php?/weblog/more/tom_wilson_making_them_laug
h_in_hermosa_beach_feb_14/

Enjoy!

Stephen Clark,
BTTF.com

Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 18:23:59 -0500
From: "Steven L. Alves" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>
Subject: Unusual Repair

I had what I am guessing is a very unusual problem yesterday but the solution was far simpler then I thought.

Ken had removed the trunk release assembly when he put the remote release in. Although he gave me the release handle and a new cable, I discovered the bracket that holds the cable and handle (101165) was missing. I ordered the new bracket and when it came in I started to put it all together. The bracket mounts to a plate with two studs that is on the fiberglass body. For some reason the studs were not lining up quite right but I was able to get it on and as I was tightening the lower nut, the stud snapped. I looked in the parts manual and wouldn't you know it.. No part number. I called DMCH and Grady and learned that evidently this part is actually part of the fiberglass frame and not a separately orderable part. Grady did offer to strip one off a parts vehicle if I needed one (Thanks) but I couldn't figure out why it was part of the frame. I removed the three bolts and scraped the silicone that was holding it to the body and Viola.. It is just a metal plate with two studs on it. A quick trip to the welder and he ground the old stud down and welded a bolt on, a little silicone and it works like a charm. The real question is how many of these little parts are not available except by stripping them off a parts car. I am almost thinking of picking up a junk car just for oddball parts.