From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2476
Date: Sunday, February 13, 2005 8:15 PM

1. Bonnet Latch Too Tight.
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

2. Gas Milage Question.
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

3. Re: Gas Milage Question.
From: Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>

4. Re: Bonnet Latch Too Tight.
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

5. Re: using starting fluid to find vacuum leaks?
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

6. Re: Gas Milage Question.
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 23:52:52 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Bonnet Latch Too Tight.

Is there anyway to lessen the tension on the spring for the Bonnet
Latch? It's REALLY difficult to close my trunk now, and it's sawing
thru the brass Striker Latch. I noticed that DMCH sells a part called
an 'improved' spring for this latch. Is this what it's designed to
do? Lessen the tension?

Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 23:54:32 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Gas Milage Question.

Quick question for anyone here who gets gas milage above 25mpg+ on
trips. Of everyone who gets extraordinary economy out of their cars,
how many of you have replaced the wheel bearings on your cars?

Just a quick question I've been pondering lately....

Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 20:05:56 -0500
From: Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>
Subject: Re: Gas Milage Question.

I am one of those people with a high fuel economy claim.  I did once
carefully measure my fuel economy on an all-highway trip with a
passenger and very little cargo doing exactly 65 MPH.  I was delighted
to get a little over 28 MPG.

I hadn't put it together before, but this was on BRAND NEW wheel bearings!

That was about 30K miles ago.  I wonder, what would I get if I repeated
the experiment now?

Thanks for making me think about this, Robert.

- Mike Substelny
VIN 01280, over ten years

Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 04:33:01 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Bonnet Latch Too Tight.

If you are wearing out the loop on the hood hitting the latch, the
problem is not the spring but the latch needs to be adjusted. You have
to center the loop in the latch so it doesn't hit the sides of the
latch as it locks in. Generally you have to also enlarge (lengthen)
the slots on the latch so you can lower it slightly too so the hood
doesn't sit so high. Usually the problem with the springs is that the
short one is weak and the hood doesn't pop up so you need two hands to
open the hood. One to pull the release, and one to lift the hood. You
can shorten the short spring 1 or 2 loops or you can replace it with
the new, improved, one. When ajusting the hood you should screw the
hood stops (the rubber covered screws at the corners by the
windshield) all the way in. Set the height of the hood with the latch
(slightly low), and then unscrew the hood stops to set the height on
the corners. Lock in place with the nuts. Make sure the restraining
brackets on the hood line up with the hood stops. In the case of a
severe front end collision the restraining brackets are supposed to
keep the hood from going through the windshield and then through YOU!

Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 05:03:02 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: using starting fluid to find vacuum leaks?

You need to be able to aim the stream precisely, which means a straw
inserted into the spray nozzle. The only cans I've found with such an
arrangement are carb cleaners. Even brake cleaners are not set up for
straws.

My experience has been that hitting a vacuum leak with spray solvent
causes the engine to bog down, not rev up. Solvent doesn't seal the
leak but rather gets sucked into the engine.

Don't know what the flash point of carb cleaner is, but I've never had
it burst into flame even hitting a hot exhaust manifold. In the
absence of arcing ignition you shouldn't have any problem using it on
a running engine. Can't be healthy for O rings though -- don't go
crazy with the stuff.

Also be careful not to overspray anything painted (rear fascia).

Note that this method only works to find leaks at the engine itself --
won't diagnose leaking HVAC diaphragms for example. To test remote
leaks you need a hand held vacuum pump.

Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 10:05:21 -0800 (PST)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Depending upon where I am driving, speed, etc., I get
from 23 to 27 mpg on trips.  I have almost 100,000
miles on my car and I have never replaced wheel
bearings. My most recent long trip (over 2000 miles)
was one of my best for mpg (a just completed full
tune-up)i averaged nearly 27mpg.  I put nearly 75,000
on my previous DeLorean and while my mileage was not
as good (automatic) I never replaced wheel bearings on
that car either.

Dick Ryan
VIN 16867