From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2479
Date: Wednesday, February 16, 2005 9:26 PM

1. Bricklin's new company.
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Cooling System Problems - still
From: Woody <BePositive2000_at_dml_Yahoo.com>

3. DeLorean for sale Minneapolis/St.Paul
From: "ashtonorlan" <ashtonorlan_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Delorean used for radio one tour (UK)
From: "Simon Shepherd" <simons_at_dml_ndmltd.com>

5. Re: "Fake" converter available
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>

6. Re: Rear tail light lense covers update **photos**
From: "Patrick C." <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

7. Freezing throttle linkage topic
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: Re: Re: Not so stainless?? HELP!
From: <docrth_at_dml_verizon.net>

9. Engine compartment latch?
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. Re: Rear tail light lense covers update **photos**
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. RE: Cooling System Problems - still
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

12. Re: Cooling System Problems - still
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

13. RE: Freezing throttle linkage topic
From: "Michael C. Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>

14. Re: Rear tail light lense covers update **photos**
From: "jamesrguk" <James_rg_at_dml_hotmail.com>

15. Re: Freezing throttle linkage topic
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

16. Re: Delorean used for radio one tour (UK)
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

17. RE: Re: "Fake" converter available
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

18. Re: Rear tail light lense covers update **photos**
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

19. Speedo Angle Drive Removal
From: "Michael & Denise" <luckeys71_at_dml_cox.net>

20. Re: Re: Rear tail light lense covers update **photos**
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. HAVING TROUBLE
From: "allante932003" <allante932003_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. turbo parts needed
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 21:13:04 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Bricklin's new company.

I posted a few months back about Bricklin's new
project, and that Fred Dellis (of Legend industries)
was involved in the project.

Looks like they have an official web site now.

http://vvcars.com/

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 00:38:47 -0800 (PST)
From: Woody <BePositive2000_at_dml_Yahoo.com>
Subject: Cooling System Problems - still

Thanks for all your replies to my previous post. Unfortunately, I'm
still experiencing cooling system problems. . . OVERHEATING

I discovered the otterstat is not working so I used a jumper wire to
get the fans to run, but still overheats.  I also bled the system but
still overheats.

The car doesn't behave like I've previously experienced with a blown
head gasket:  No engine miss, no vapor in exhaust, no signs of exhaust
in coolant.

Could this be thermostat related?  The temp. gage shows overheating,
but the radiator (or coolant bottle) cap does not blow.  It is a new
cap and opened at 15.5 psi with the pressure tester.

Could the problem be the water pump? The pump is a little noisy but
shows good flow into the coolant bottle.

Thanks again for your help.

Woody

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 04:32:17 -0000
From: "ashtonorlan" <ashtonorlan_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DeLorean for sale Minneapolis/St.Paul

Hi...there is a D for sale in the Maplewood area. The Owner is asking
15,500.00. I have seen and inspected this car, its worth every penny.
Here are the details.

1981 vin
36,000 Miles
windshield Antenna
Black Interior
Auto Trans
orig. Side Stripes.
2 key setup w/ orig light up key.
all Orig. with all factory updates.
runs and drives perfect.

Email me if you would like any more information.

Brian D Vin. 05905

AshtonOrlan_at_dml_yahoo.com

Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 16:06:02 -0000
From: "Simon Shepherd" <simons_at_dml_ndmltd.com>
Subject: Delorean used for radio one tour (UK)

Good afternoon all,

I heard this morning on my journey to work that Radio One DJ Chris
Moyles will be using a Delorean to tour Scotland as part of his Comic
Relief Fund raising duties.

The Delorean will form part of his 'Cars from TV/Film' convoy touring
the whole of the UK, also including a KITT replica, a General Lee
replica, and an A-Team van replica.

Just curious to know if it's anyone from this list that's donating the
use of their vehicle to the big man.

Shep

Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 08:47:00 +0000
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: "Fake" converter available

Can you give me an idea of how difficult it is to swap out / disconnect a
catalytic converter on a delorean?
-Alex

Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 17:30:45 -0000
From: "Patrick C." <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Rear tail light lense covers update **photos**

Maybe its just me, but why on earth would you want to darken the rear
tailights?  Those are the only things stopping someone not paying
attention from plowing into you, and I would want them as bright as
possible, not dark.

Just my opinion,
Patrick C.
1880

Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 19:01:16 -0000
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Freezing throttle linkage topic

Hi all,
Given the fact that I live up here in Michigan and we get a lot of
snow (freezing rain recently), My DMC's throttle tends to freeze up
every now and then. I accidently bent the pedal this past December
trying to get it unstuck! Fortunately, my mechanic fixed it while he
was tuning it up. The last time this happened, I merely got up an
hour early and left the car running. I then tapped gently on the gas
pedal and worked the ice off the cable by revving the throttle by
hand. While it took a good 50 minutes or so, the engine heat
eventually thawed it. I noticed a "recall kit" or something
DeLorean.com has though. Could this be a possible remedy/aid to this
problem? What are your thoughts? Thanks all!

Can't feel my hands,
John :)

Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 10:59:10 -0600
From: <docrth_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Not so stainless?? HELP!

What is the  chemical that works so well?
Doc RTH,St Pet, FL

> From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>
> Date: 2005/02/15 Tue PM 02:15:06 CST
> To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
> Subject: Re: [DML] Re: Not so stainless?? HELP!
>

> Hello All!
>
> I'd like to thank everyone who responded to my post. Thank you for the
> advice!
> The spots on my car seem to be in fact rust spots.

[moderator snip]

Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 19:05:17 -0000
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Engine compartment latch?

Howdy fellow DeLorean owners/fans,
One other thing I was wondering about is the engine cover and louvre
compartment. My DeLorean has no catch or latch to keep the
compartment securely shut. And like the manual shows, there is a pull
switch behind my driver's seat that is supposed to pop the "boot" or
in this case, rear hood. However, due to the combined weight of the
sunshade and engine cover, I never have to worry about it popping up
even when I'm on a bumpy, dirt road. But am I missing a piece that
goes back there or what?
(The funny thing is, my other car has the exact opposite of a
problem: the hood is pretty much jammed shut and jury rigged to open
via what's left of my hood release cable! Murphy's law. >_<)
-John

Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 19:10:47 -0000
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I agree. I've been rear-ended before in my own driveway (not the
DeLorean thankfully!) But given the age of my DMC-12, it got pretty
dim and I ended up replacing the boards at the very least. I also had
to put amber bulbs in my blinkers b/c they were all faded and cops
told me that my lights "weren't amber colored enough."
*Sneezes sarcastically at the local law enforcement*
:) -John

Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 13:41:14 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Cooling System Problems - still

Woody,
If you have an original radiator it could be clogged up, You could have
leaves & debris between the radiator and condenser coil that blocks air flow
or a bad  thermostat. Then as you know the otterstat turns the fans on could
be bad or a broken connection.

Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 20:25:01 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Check the actual temperature of the motor, maybe the thermostat gauge
is not reading correctly. You can either put a thermometer into the
coolant or use one of the new-fangled infra-red, non-contact
thermometers. Make sure both fans are running in the correct direction
and the fans are securely attached to the shafts of the motors. You
*could* have a stuck thermostat, easily checked by removing it and
running the motor. Bleed the radiator by pressurizing the system and
loosening the small hose on the top right side. Be gentle, it is a
plastic barb on the radiator and can break off easily. Only use 50/50
soft water and permanant-type anti-freeze. DO NOT RUN ONLY ON WATER!
The boiling point is too low and will boil unless you mix anti-freeze
in besides the fact that straight water will freeze. You can use water
to test for leaks but it has no anti-corrosion properties and can
allow electrolisys. Replace the otterstadt switch and seal, don't use
any silicone on it, it will damage the seal. Make sure to use the
metal clip or at least a strap-tie. If the timing is way off it can
also cause the motor to run hot. Make sure the radiator is not clogged
up with leaves, dirt, and debris that would cut airflow. If there is a
license plate on the grill it can block enough air to cause the car to
overheat.

Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 15:27:59 -0500
From: "Michael C. Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: RE: Freezing throttle linkage topic

You REALLY need this for your car - it is a simple fix, just a metal
plate that covers up the throttle to keep this from happening. The
recall is a simple black one, or you can sometimes find them in
stainless steel as well.  For example, the one on my car:

http://www.babbtechnology.com/pics/3472images/engine/engine_full.JPG

Michael

Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 19:24:08 -0000
From: "jamesrguk" <James_rg_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Patrick,

That is very true, they are really only a display peice, but having
tested several shades and gauges, the final ones have only a very
minimal effect on the light output from the rear.

Rest assured despite the 'not for road use' status I will be
rigorously testing them before selling any.

I am fortunate to have anouther owners car sat next to mine so I can
do an exact comparison between betwen a car with the covers and
without.

James

Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 20:37:12 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Your problem will be solved with the throttle recall. While you are at
it make sure all of the other recalls have been done. This includes
the inertia switch (the newer one and new location), the blue front
end recall, and the fan relay bypass. Call one of the venders and they
will go over what you need. You may also require the relay upgrade
kit. The throttle recall is easy to do. My way of doing it is to
disconnect the throttle cable from the spool, put a piece of hose
(around 1 foot long) over the outer cable with a hose clamp, fill the
hose with a 50/50 mixture of anti-freeze and water, and then blow
through with compressed air till it comes out by the pedal. Leave an
old towel under the pedal to catch the anti-freeze. The recall comes
with instructions. Even if the recall is installed it is a good idea
to blow anti-freeze in every 20 years or so anyway to lubricate the
cable. It is very important to have a freely moving throttle cable. It
can be dangerous if it should get stuck when you step on the pedal and
it got stuck down in traffic.

Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 21:30:55 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Delorean used for radio one tour (UK)

Given the "movie" status of the other cars, It'll probably be the BTTF
replica that recently sold on ebay UK

Martin
www.delorean.co.uk

Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 14:18:47 -0600
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: "Fake" converter available

Anywhere from "easy" if the studs are not frozen to $%&#! if they are.

-Joe Kuchan

Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 22:30:13 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

I would have to agree here. Although it does look great and is one
hell of a job; I really like the appearance but what would concern me
a bit would be actually how much light would be transmitted through
this material. Keep in mind police will pull you over if you're tail
lights are too dim. If you go into a dark room and they look fine
lit-don't forget to then shine a bright light on them and then see how
well they light up-simulating the sunlight shining on them during the
day. Said again- we all know how important taillights are; make sure
you're not diminishing the amount of light output. Keep yourself and
your car safe! -----Dani B. #5003

Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 17:39:07 -0500
From: "Michael & Denise" <luckeys71_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Speedo Angle Drive Removal

Hey gang,
Can anyone help me with some information on removing the speedometer angle drive?  I have removed the large nut holding the angle drive but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the retaining ring to release the angle drive from the nut.  Any thoughts as to how to remove the retaining ring?
This is turning out to be a tougher job than it looks,

Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 15:56:11 -0800 (PST)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Rear tail light lense covers update **photos**

Patrick

Just curious - are the tail light covers easily
removable?  Years ago I had the smoked headlight
covers that attached via velcro.  Looked great in the
daylight and removed them at night for driving.

Dick Ryan
VIN 16867

Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 00:21:29 -0000
From: "allante932003" <allante932003_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: HAVING TROUBLE

I would appreciate if anyone could explain to me where the 3 vacumn
lines that come from the switch therm vacumn attach or hook up to.
thanks Dan

Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 21:44:34 -0500
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: turbo parts needed

I am in need of the four original turbo pipes for the Island turbo setup. Anyone have a junk setup they are willing to part out or sell cheap??????????
Please contact me off group

dmc1982(at) msn.com

Cecil Longwisch
#10663 twin turbo someday!