From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2483
Date: Friday, February 18, 2005 10:47 PM

1. Re: angle drive tips and suggestions
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

2. Re: B28F Water Pump Pulley
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

3. Re: Cooling System Problems (DMC Joe's Overheat Protector)
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

4. RE: B28F Water Pump Pulley
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

5. Re: Website that has pictures of parts
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

6. Re: Digest Number 2480
From: Dan Haney <DRHANEY_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

7. Re: Website that has pictures of parts
From: Mads de Bruin <debruin_at_dml_dia.eur.nl>

8. Re: Cooling System Problems (DMC Joe's Overheat Protector)
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

9. Re: Engine Trouble
From: "Joe LoRe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

10. Re: Fw: Houston suspension review
From: "turbodelorean" <dmcfan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

11. Re: Cooling System Problems (DMC Joe's Overheat Protector)
From: "Joe LoRe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

12. RE: High altitude adjustment
From: "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Re: Digest Number 2480
From: "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Re: Cooling System Problems - still
From: "Dave" <v-davidj_at_dml_microsoft.com>

15. Air bleed from radiator
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

16. Re: B28F Water Pump Pulley
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

17. Re: B28F Water Pump Pulley
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

18. Re: Carfaq
From: "Farrar \"Doc\" Hudkins" <dochudkins_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. St. Patrick's Day Parade in Houston
From: "birdwell77095" <birdwells_at_dml_usa.net>

20. Re: FLL-Tower Shops
From: "Steven L. Alves" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>

21. RE: Re: Engine Trouble
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

22. Re: Re: Fw: Houston suspension review
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>

23. Re: B28F Water Pump Pulley
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 15:02:25 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: angle drive tips and suggestions

Lubricate the angle drive at every service interval. Do it a minimum
of at least once a year. If you do not have the support bracket for
the lower speedometer cable then get one. It is the same bracket that
holds the left brake hose with a loop added to support the speedo
cable. The origional angle drive has plastic gears that will
eventually wear out. My theory is that on some cars inside the
instrument cluster some of the plastic pins break off. They have a
small metal clip on them that gets caught in the magnet of the
speedometer and jams it causing the angle drive to fail and the cables
to fail. To lubricate the angle drive you raise the front of the car,
remove the front left wheel, remove the cable from the angle drive,
rotate the angle drive till the little screw is on top. Remove the
screw and force some grease in.

Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 14:54:32 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: B28F Water Pump Pulley

Every Volvo I've ever seen has a double belt pulley -- are you sure
you're not looking at pics of DeLorean PRV's with Darryl Tinnerstet's
aluminum pulley?

>From my measurements it appears a standard Volvo pulley will just
barely clear if you remove the upper A/C idler pulley and run a
slightly shorter belt (52" or so). My car came with only the lower
pulley and I've been running it like that ever since no problem (upper
pulley is bit of a kluge anyway compared to the integral lower one).
Compressor is standard Sankyo/Sanden which people put on every vehicle
imaginable, with every belt arrangement imaginable. Be sure you're
running a DeLorean crankshaft pulley with the smaller outer groove --
standard Volvo pulley with equal diameter grooves will interfere even
with Darryl's pulley.

I'm running a Tinnerstet pulley BTW -- the only bling on my whole vehicle.

Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 15:15:05 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Cooling System Problems (DMC Joe's Overheat Protector)

Is this earlier "overheat protector" what most of us now call a "self
bleeder"? Latter seems to be becoming standard equipment on many
DeLoreans (even the Sunstar model has one!). I like it for the very
reason you mention -- automatically bleeds the system after coolant
change without messing with the brittle radiator barb. Another useful
mod I've found is to re-route the radiator bleed hose UPHILL to a Tee
in the heater core return line rather than DOWNHILL to the radiator
return line (because I replaced that aggravating piece of bent pipe,
which also rubs epoxy off the crumple extension, with a length of
contiguous hose, routing the bleed line somewhere else was necessary
-- might as well do it so air doesn't get trapped).

Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 10:17:28 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Jason, We make special one grove WP pulleys in quantity. They are on the web
site.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com

Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 07:16:52 -0800 (PST)
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Website that has pictures of parts

Shannon,

You're probably thinking of this site put up by Hank Eskin.

http://www.eskin.net/firstdelorean.html

Well done, Hank.  Also, John Hervey's site (www.specialtauto.com) has pictures of just about everything also.

Jake
1063

birdwell77095 <birdwells_at_dml_usa.net> wrote:

Some time ago I ran across a website that had photographs of various
parts in a Delorean and showed where they were located such as the
Lamba unit, ECU, etc. I can't seem to find the site now. Does anyone
know such sites?

Shannon

Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 11:32:16 -0500 (EST)
From: Dan Haney <DRHANEY_at_dml_peoplepc.com>
Subject: Re: Digest Number 2480

Congratulations on your new purchase, did you purchase the car in or around Denver? My car (automatic Transmission) has been in Denver since 1985 when my father drove it back fro Dallas. It has never had any adjustments made for the altitude and runs great and always passes emmissions.

But the true high altitude guy is Mr. Dick Ryan his car lives in Steamboat. His car is a (twin?) turbo. Dick my daughter, Nichole still talks about how fast your car is after riding with you at the 1st DMCH open house.

If you ever want to get together and drive or discuss Deloreans, contact me off list. I live in the southwest part of town.

Dan Haney
vin 03254

denverdelorean wrote:

>Hi Guys
>
>I just bought my DeLorean and I read in a service bulliten that
>there is a High altitude adjustment that can be performed.  Has
>anyone done this and can you offer the procedure?
>
>Thanks

PeoplePC Online
A better way to Internet
http://www.peoplepc.com

Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 13:46:09 +0100
From: Mads de Bruin <debruin_at_dml_dia.eur.nl>

Don't know about that website, but this is a good one as well.

http://retroserver.no-ip.com/deloreanmain.html

Mads
02010

Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 18:41:37 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

The overheat protector IS the continuous bleeder that is installed on
the thermostat housing. It is NOT connected to the bleed hose on the
radiator. The bleed hose on the radiator is connected to that special
pipe on the right side of the car. It is not a simple tee'd in
connection. The small pipe connected to the small hose off the top,
right side of the radiator goes inside the larger return pipe and
creates a venturi effect essentially pulling from the top of the
radiator to remove any air that is trapped. It doesn't seem to work if
the radiator is completely full of air so on an initial fill you
loosen the hose at the top of the radiator when pressurizing the
system to get most of the air out. From then on the bleed hose is
there to remove any air that may get trapped in the radiator. Same as
the overheat protector. Rerouting the bleeder to the heater hose may
only be putting air into the heater core and not getting it back to
the header bottle. The "best" route would be to just run the hose
right to the header bottle if you wanted to run "uphill". In any case
you still are coming off the fragile plastic barb on the origional
plastic tank. Check out your radiator carefully. I bet you it is green
around the edges. After 20 years it is time to replace it. On a new
radiator you will get metal tanks and a metal barb to attach the hose
to. If you are rubbing the epoxy with the pipe you are missing a piece
of foam padding to prevent that. I have no problem with installing a
continuous bleeder on the thermostat housing. My problem is it should
be done with all the other things it takes to make the system work
right and not rely on just it to "fix" the problems caused by leaks.
By fixing a symptom you are not going to fix the real problem.

Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 18:53:59 -0000
From: "Joe LoRe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Engine Trouble

Not so. (See workshop manual D:04:10 System Control Monitors, bottom
of page) In other words if you disconnect the O2 sensor or short
circuit the sensor lead the Lamda ECU will continue to send a fixed
voltage to the frequency valve resulting in continued operation. Most
non-working frequency valve conditions are related to circuitry
problems. i.e. A broken wire, connector problem, or defective
component. Refer to D:04:12 items #1, 2, and 3 to locate the source
of the problem.

DMC Joe

> Justin, I have seen FV not work because the 02 sensor was bad. If
the 02
> doesn't send the signal to the ECU then possible no reason for the
FV to
> work.
> Just and FYI.
> John Hervey
> www.specialtauto.com

[moderator snip]

Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 18:55:56 -0000
From: "turbodelorean" <dmcfan_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Fw: Houston suspension review

Yeah I am going to have to raise the big BS flag on this one. I don't
care what you do to the DeLorean as far as suspension goes you will
NEVER get the DeLorean to perform on a track like a GT3, Carrera, or
Viper. I have a set of lowered springs on my DeLorean and yes it
makes a world of difference as to how the car handles but to say it
drives just as good as those three cars is crazy. My other car is a
S2000 and that thing has proven to stay with those cars on a track
and my DeLorean doesn't even come close to how the S2000 handles. You
pick the track and I would gladly bring my S2000 and $1000 and show
you you are completely off as to say the DeLorean handles better. I
will even stay in 4th gear the whole time how about that???

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_m...>
wrote:

> [...]
I had an opportunity to "try out" the Houston Eibach springs and
shocks. Running with a new Porsche GT3 ,Turbo Carrera, and a
supercharged Viper ... going to a show in Orlando, although  I could
not keep up with them on the straight a ways, I did corner as well as
the Porsche and probably better than the Viper on the ramps. I sure
wanted the 140 mph speedometer as I had no idea how fast we were
going. (Jacksonville to Orlando , 147 miles in traffic in 90
minutes , you do the math!)

> I can not tell you how much lowering the car with these improved
springs and shocks help the car.

> The best thing I ever did to the car!
>
> By the way it was a great exotic car show with 20 Ferraris (
including an Enzo), 12 Lamborghinis, 7 Vipers, 60 Porsches, one
Rolls, one Bentley and one DeLorean!

> There is another great show coming up in Celebration near Orlando
which should be as good if not better. I hear last year there were 14
DeLoreans.

Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 19:08:36 -0000
From: "Joe LoRe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

Bill,

Yes, the Overheat Protector" is the original "self bleeder". Your
radiator air bleed hose modification sounds like a good sense
addition.

DMC Joe

Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 20:04:52 -0000
From: "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: High altitude adjustment

Thanks david.  I'll look into that.  The car is here for at least a
few years and it runs a bit rich.  Less air means less gas so I need
to do this adjustment ASAP

Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 20:10:47 -0000
From: "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Dan Haney <DRHANEY_at_dml_p...> wrote:

Hi Dan, Nice to meet you.  I bought the car in San Antonio and it is
originally from Phoenix.   It runs great but if there is an
adjustment recommended by the factory I would like to try it.  I
have spoken with Dick over email and we are hoping to organize a
Colorado Club.  I know of another DeLorean that lives near me so
that is 3 in the greater Denver area alone. there are at least 2 in
colorado springs that I know of.
  Mine is an 83 manual gray #16076 and has 32718 original miles.  I
LOVE IT.  I drive it every day.  I live in Englewood.

Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 16:35:44 -0000
From: "Dave" <v-davidj_at_dml_microsoft.com>
Subject: Re: Cooling System Problems - still

I thought you developed the "overheat protector" in 1996...?  Is 86 a
typo?

At any rate, just for the record, and giving credit where credit is
due...I believe that Toby Peterson, working with other Pacific
Northwest DeLorean Club members, actually developed the bleed kit a
few years before you did.  I know that they in fact had installed
these kits on at least 12 cars between 1993 and 1994.

Not trying to dimish your efforts Joe...I still give you kudos for
realizing the idea on your own.

FYI
Dave Jacobs

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Joe LoRe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_a...> wrote:

> From the description of Woody's original problem it appears to be
> related to air bubbles trapped at the thermostat. There is a simple
> test to determine if trapped air is the problem.
>
> Do the following start the car and allow it to run at idle speed
> until the temperature reaches approximately 210 degrees. That would
> place the temperature gauge needle just below the 220 mark. At that
> point gun the engine eight to ten times. While the engine continues
> to run at idle speed observe the temperature gauge needle. If the
> temperature rapidly drops the problem is caused by trapped air at
the
> thermostat.
>
> I wrote an article on this subject several years ago when I
marketed
> the "Overheat Protector".
>
> Here is part of what I wrote:

[moderator snip]

Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 20:44:16 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com
Subject: Air bleed from radiator

I just wanted to chime in that we include a unique component in
our "self-bleeder" system that greatly facilitates expelling all air
from the radiator without the mess, and without the danger of
breaking the hose barb on the original radiators.  We also offer this
as a stand-alone kit for those who already have the typical self-
bleeder installed.  Of course, if you enjoy the taste of
antifreeze ...

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 20:37:50 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Apart from the pulleys that Toby and John sell, which are specific to
the DeLorean to allow the use of a Volvo pump, I have seen one pressed
steel bolt-on single belt pulley on a DeLorean's water pump. I re-fitted
a new pump some time ago and apart form having to re-tap the mounting
hols to M8, it fitted perfectly. I have no idea what car it came from
but I can tell you that one does exist

The twin-belt pulleys also have a different offset and will cause the
belt to wear very fast.

Martin

Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 20:57:26 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

Hello List - The "bling" is still available on our website.  We use
the same machinist that Darryl used for years.  The machinist that
makes these awesome pieces for us takes great pride in the quality
and appearance of his work.  For those who aren't aware, these
pulleys allow the use of the more common Volvo-style water pumps, and
are also considered more secure than the pressed-on steel pulleys.
The pressed-on pulleys have been known to migrate off the pump shaft,
and also spin on the shaft, neither of which is a good thing.

Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 14:47:33 -0800 (PST)
From: "Farrar \"Doc\" Hudkins" <dochudkins_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Carfaq

Carfaq? Try Carfax.

Farrar
--- Kevin Abato <delorean_at_dml_abato.net> wrote:

> Anyone have a carfaq account that can run a couple
> of Vins for me
> (non-DMC vins)
> Contact me on the side if you dont mind.
>
> THanks
>
> Kevin Abato
> Vin# 16680

> team, please address:

> sale see www.dmcnews.com

=====
"Forty-two," said Deep Thought, with infinite majesty and calm.

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 23:16:29 -0000
From: "birdwell77095" <birdwells_at_dml_usa.net>
Subject: St. Patrick's Day Parade in Houston

There will be a St. Patrick's Day Parade on Sunday March 13th. Check
in time starts at 11:00 and the parade starts at 2:00. This will
start on FM 1960 at Wells Fargo parking lot at Champions Forest
Drive. They are expectiong about 60,000 - 80,000 spectators. Cost
will be free for the Delorean owners. For more information go to
http://www.1960parade.com/parade.htm.

Contact me for further information.

Shannon Birdwell

Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 11:46:00 -0500
From: "Steven L. Alves" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>
Subject: Re: FLL-Tower Shops

Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 18:01:07 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Engine Trouble

Joe, As I said I have seen the FV not work and when the 02 was replaced it
started the BuZZZ again. Your mistaken because I had the car here last year.
The man is looking for answer not so much for in-depth technical that he
can't possibility control or even fix and doesn't have the dwell meter to
measure with.
The FV won't do it's job of varying the pressure on the lower chamber of the
fuel distributor if the 02 / ECU isn't ( working )correctly.
Yes, It as I know will sit in the manuel state of 80/20 and the car will run
rich, thus causing a problem.
John Hervey
 www.specialTauto.com

Not so. (See workshop manual D:04:10 System Control Monitors, bottom
of page) In other words if you disconnect the O2 sensor or short
circuit the sensor lead the Lamda ECU will continue to send a fixed
voltage to the frequency valve resulting in continued operation. Most
non-working frequency valve conditions are related to circuitry
problems. i.e. A broken wire, connector problem, or defective
component. Refer to D:04:12 items #1, 2, and 3 to locate the source
of the problem.

DMC Joe

> Justin, I have seen FV not work because the 02 sensor was bad. If
the 02
> doesn't send the signal to the ECU then possible no reason for the
FV to
> work.
> Just and FYI.
> John Hervey
> www.specialtauto.com

[moderator snip]

Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 20:46:54 -0500
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Fw: Houston suspension review

I am not sure who you are because you did not sign your email but obviously you are not a very experienced driver!
Do you have the Eibach springs or just some hack sawed down ones with the wrong coil rate?

Cecil Longwisch
  Yeah I am going to have to raise the big BS flag on this one. I don't
  care what you do to the DeLorean as far as suspension goes you will
  NEVER get the DeLorean to perform on a track like a GT3, Carrera, or
  Viper. I have a set of lowered springs on my DeLorean and yes it
  makes a world of difference as to how the car handles but to say it
  drives just as good as those three cars is crazy. My other car is a
  S2000 and that thing has proven to stay with those cars on a track
  and my DeLorean doesn't even come close to how the S2000 handles. You
  pick the track and I would gladly bring my S2000 and $1000 and show
  you you are completely off as to say the DeLorean handles better. I
  will even stay in 4th gear the whole time how about that???

  --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com<mailto:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>, "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_m<mailto:dmc1982_at_dml_m>...>
  wrote:

> [...]

  moderators_at_dml_dmcnews.com<mailto:moderators_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

  For more info on the list, tech articles, cars for sale see www.dmcnews.com<http://www.dmcnews.com/>

Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 18:46:57 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

FWIW, it would be nice to have a twin belt waterpump
pully for the DMC.