From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2484
Date: Saturday, February 19, 2005 6:12 PM

1. Houston suspension review
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Self-bleeder on the Sunstar cars - Was Cooling System Problems (DMC Joe's Overheat Protector)
From: "Montgomery, Ken" <kenm_at_dml_csus.edu>

3. Re: agreed value appraisal
From: "vin00538" <lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net>

4. Re: B28F Water Pump Pulley
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

5. STAINLESS STELL HOSES
From: John Podlewski <john_podlewski_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Re: Fw: Houston suspension review
From: "M. P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>

7. Pictures of the DMCH Eibach Suspension? How does it look?
From: "Patrick C." <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

8. Re: Cooling System Problems - still (coolant overflow bottle)
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

9. Re: Cooling System Problems (David T)
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

10. Re: B28F Water Pump Pulley
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

11. RE: Houston suspension review
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

12. RE: STAINLESS STELL HOSES
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

13. Re: Pictures of the DMCH Eibach Suspension? How does it look?
From: "sandorp1" <piszar_at_dml_comcast.net>

14. Re: B28F Water Pump Pulley
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Re: Re: agreed value appraisal
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

16. Houston suspension reprise
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>

17. Re: Re: Fw: Houston suspension review
From: "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

18. Clutch Problem
From: jimbo0946_at_dml_aol.com

19. Re: Clutch Problem
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

20. Re: Clutch Problem
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 19:19:26 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Houston suspension review

The question I have is are the eibach springs better
than the previous DMCH springs which were done in
Europe?  The claim was (then) that they were designed
to the original specifications (before the car was
rumored to be lifted for DOT reasons), and made the
DMC handle better than an Audi TT.

So, which is better?  An Audi TT, or a Porsche GT3?

<SNIP>

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 19:46:25 -0800
From: "Montgomery, Ken" <kenm_at_dml_csus.edu>
Subject: Self-bleeder on the Sunstar cars - Was Cooling System Problems (DMC Joe's Overheat Protector)

   The Sunstar models have the 'self-bleeder' because the car the models
were patterned after has one. I now own the Sunstar/Welly car. It's the
car that was photographed and measured to make those models. You can
tell by the shape of the warp in the air dam, the design of the
non-stock radio, the way the cooling bypass hose was added and the
notched exhaust pipe tips. So all of you that have the Sunstar or Welly
models have a model of my #2 car!

Ken Montgomery, Sacramento CA - VIN #10911 'OUTTIME'
http://www.time-traveler.org/delorean/
mailto:kenm_at_dml_csus.edu
President, Northern California DeLorean Motor Club
http://www.ncdmc.org
http://www.dmcnews.com mailto:directory_at_dml_dmcnews.com

Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 03:21:58 -0000
From: "vin00538" <lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net>
Subject: Re: agreed value appraisal

Hello,
My Delorean is insured for $60,000.00 usd & no appraiser or
insureance agent came out to inspect it. All I had to due was give
them a picture of the car. the name of the insurance company is
American collectors insurance,they have a web site as well it's
:"www.americancollectors.com" check it out.
Vin00538

-- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_m...> wrote:

> The agreed value policies I have allow you to select the appraiser
( you
> also pay their fee).
> They have been very liberal with their assesment of my cars in the
past and
> I have generally had to ask them to lower them to keep the
insurance rates
> lower.
> Unless yours is one of the "special" cars of a previous long thread
I don't

Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 03:39:03 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: B28F Water Pump Pulley

Having 2 belts instead of 1 does not necessaraly make the set-up more
dependable. I have seen many cases where one belt gets thrown off or
rolls over and catches other belts causing them all to fail. The # of
belts is mainly a function of how much power you are trying to
transfer. If it is near the capacity of 1 belt then the designer may
either go to a method with a higher amount of power transfer (more
expensive) or just add another belt. In our case 1 belt is more than
sufficient. Just make sure it is aligned, tensioned properly, the
pulleys are not worn or bent, and replace the belt every 10 years or
so. A loose belt will quickly fail from all the heat generated. Heat
is the big enimy of a belt (usually caused by being loose). The second
biggest cause is being overtightened. This stretches the cords causing
them to break. As you can see setting the tension on a belt is important.

Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 21:15:08 -0800 (PST)
From: John Podlewski <john_podlewski_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: STAINLESS STELL HOSES

Does anyone on list know who offers stainless steel braided coolant hoses, specifically for our cars.
Last year in Tenn. I nocticed a few Deloreans with them installed and they looked great.

Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 05:37:59 -0000
From: "M. P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>
Subject: Re: Fw: Houston suspension review

Alright Cecil,
     I'm a little behind in my DML readings, but nevertheless I'm
going to call "Shenanigans" here.  147 miles in 90 minutes?  147
miles/1.5 hours=98 MPH.  Granted, that's an average.  If you figure
you did not stop for the entire trip but did get slowed somewhat by
traffic, there would have been significant 100+ MPH spurts.  In broad
daylight.  In traffic.  Florida traffic.  I did the math (see above).
 I'd like to do a polygraph now.  While not altogether impossible, I
find it highly improbable.  Considering you were pretty deep into the
throttle for much of the "spirited" driving with a 996, Viper, and
GT3, how could you have enough fuel to make the entire trip at those
speeds-even assuming you entered the highway with the other vehicles
right from a refueling stop?  I agree it could be done, but highly
unlikely with that kind of "race-inspired" driving on a traffic-laden
highway.  In Florida no less.
     Now, I agree that lowering the car makes a big difference.  The
PO of my car ordered DMCH springs and shocks when they became
available and he even cut the springs to make the car lower.
Interestingly enough it handles well with no everyday ride
degredation, something that surprises just about everyone who had been
in my car, either passenger or driver.  I am willing to bet that with
the new Eibach setup a DeLorean can handle even better than with
previous "suspension upgrades" that were available.  I'm pretty sure
you could even out-corner a 996, a GT3, and a Viper, but ONLY, let me
repeat, ONLY if the drivers of said performance vehicles above were
fairly incompetent or worse.  And, of course, all of this is, again,
assuming that you are a top notch race-bred driver who knows the ins
and outs of his vehicle, its breaking points, and how to recover.  I
am pretty sure any decent driver who has pushed a DeLorean to the edge
can agree that this is not a very forgiving automobile.  This brings
to mind the "Audi TT" poll of DML lore....:)
     Of course I could be wrong and must admit that up front.  You may
very well have averaged almost 100 MPH in your newly lowered DeLorean
for 90 minutes in Florida traffic from Jacksonville to Orlando with a
Turbo Carerra, GT3, and supercharged Viper.  You could also have
evaded the law during this entire time and not been spotted by speed
traps, helicopters from said law enforcement, or upstanding motorists
with cell phones.  You even could have out-manuvered all of the
aforementioned vehicles.  I wasn't there and cannot say for certain.
I can just say that this appears to be a case of "Shenanigans."  IMHO.

At any rate, I'm glad you enjoy your new suspension setup, Cecil.
Thank you for your very colorful critique.

Matthew
VIN 16816

had an opportunity to "try out" the Houston Eibach springs and shocks.
Running with a new Porsche GT3 ,Turbo Carrera, and a supercharged
Viper ... going to a show in Orlando, although  I could not keep up
with them on the straight a ways, I did corner as well as the Porsche
and probably better than the Viper on the ramps. I sure wanted the 140
mph speedometer as I had no idea how fast we were going. (Jacksonville
to Orlando , 147 miles in traffic in 90 minutes , you do the math!)

> I can not tell you how much lowering the car with these improved
springs and shocks help the car.

> The best thing I ever did to the car!
>
> By the way it was a great exotic car show with 20 Ferraris (
including an Enzo), 12 Lamborghinis, 7 Vipers, 60 Porsches, one Rolls,
one Bentley and one DeLorean!

> There is another great show coming up in Celebration near Orlando
which should be as good if not better. I hear last year there were 14
DeLoreans.

Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 05:49:54 -0000
From: "Patrick C." <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Pictures of the DMCH Eibach Suspension? How does it look?

Does anyone have pictures of just what the new shock/spring setup from
DMCH looks like on their car?  I am just considering replacing my
original shocks before the summer, but would like to see how the car
looks with Eibach springs as well.  I do agree that the stock look is
a little too nose high, but other lowered setups I have seen make the
front look too low and the back too high.  Basically the reverse
problem from the stock setup.  I think what the car needs is to be a
little lower in the front and back, but to keep the rubstrip parallel
to the ground (as was pointed out by Josh H to me once).  When that
rubstrip is angled down at the ground in the front, it just makes the
car look strange somehow.

If anyone has pictures of the DMCH setup of springs and shocks on
their car, feel free to email them to me at PRC1216(at)aol.com

Thanks,
Patrick
1880

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_m...> wrote:

> I am not sure who you are because you did not sign your email but
obviously you are not a very experienced driver!
> Do you have the Eibach springs or just some hack sawed down ones
with the wrong coil rate?

> Cecil Longwisch
> #10663

"Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_m<mailto:dmc1982_at_dml_m>...>
>   wrote:
>   >
>   >
dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com<mailto:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com<mailto:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com<mailto:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>>

www.dmcnews.com<http://www.dmcnews.com/>

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews>

Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 06:11:04 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Cooling System Problems - still (coolant overflow bottle)

Don't forget to use an overflow style radiator cap, otherwise coolant
will never get sucked back.

System also MUST be 100% tight, otherwise it will suck outside air
rather than overflow coolant.

Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 05:51:49 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Cooling System Problems (David T)

Perhaps you misunderstood: I made both mods myself. I know the
original configurations very well because they were in place before I
deviated.

Stock DeLorean cooling system is slightly schizophrenic (all the
separate pipe sections). A person could be forgiven thinking that JZD
had started a hose clamp company adjacent to the factory in Dunmurry.
I have simplified mine to just the 2 in the engine compartment
(necessary for "otterstat" and expansion tank connections) and 4
adjacent to the frame/under the fuel tank, which I wish were just 2
and may in fact replace as such some day. Everything else is rubber.

Return pipe section between the radiator and under tank pipe (the one
with the bleeder barb) is very difficult to maneuver into place.
That's a major reason I jetisoned it in favor of flexible hose (which
of course required routing the radiator bleed somewhere else).
Cushioning it with a piece of foam seems like yet more DeLorean
fix-it-on-the-fly engineering. How is that foam supposed to survive
next to the pavement anyway?

The purpose of my bleeders is not to mask some underlying condition,
but to make coolant changes easier. Simply fill the system and start
the engine.

Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 11:43:16 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

The twin-belt crank pulley doesn't fit in behind the heatshield though.
I've seen a couple of cars with mashed heatshields as a result of doing
this.

Martin

Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 14:04:20 +0100
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: RE: Houston suspension review

ah well, you know...didn't you hear that story about the TT ?
They had a big problem at higher speeds and they had a recall
to get a little wing installed on the trunk lid.
There were some funny pictures going around about TT's that
were crashed on the Autobahn.

I am interested in that suspension, too. Is there a
possibility to show handling differences between the
original setup and the new one ? I have seen the springs and
shocks but couldn't test them on a car yet.
Are they softer oder harder ? how much harder ?

Thanks

Elvis

Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 09:32:28 -0500
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: RE: STAINLESS STELL HOSES

I believe those are just slip over braid purchased through any hotrod parts
vendor. JC Whitney carries them. You also need the end cover fittings.

Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 14:47:24 -0000
From: "sandorp1" <piszar_at_dml_comcast.net>

Patrick,

I just emailed you some picks.  I just had the suspension installed
on my car and I love the look.  It is not nose-down, the car sits
level and looks great.  And the ride and handling are phenominal.

I highly recommend it.

Sandor
# 3002

Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 09:09:10 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Ah..  Having only worked on Twin-Turbo DeLoreans, I
have no clue how the heat shield plays in to any of
this.

:)

Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 11:10:14 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Re: agreed value appraisal

Yeah another Insurance company that tells you how to drive your car,
boy am i tired of them.

Anybody that has Agreed Value Insurance with no driving restrictions
please let us know what company are you using.

Our cars were meant to be driven and i am not going to let an Insurance
company tell me how to drive it and when i can drive it.

By the way my car is not a museum piece that hides in the garage most
of its life, it does get driven.

These policies are only great for the few mint Deloreans out there, you
know the show cars/concourse cars and the drivers who like being told
how and when to drive their cars.

Mark V

Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 10:06:51 -0500
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Houston suspension reprise

*****  Moderator's note  *****
Obviously, this kind of driving is not condoned on public
streets.  If you really have a speed jones - take it to
the track.

Mike G - Moderator of the Week
Currently in Sebring, FL driving in a Skip Barber event
at the speedway...
*****

I have no reason to stretch the truth, and will be glad to drive with any of you. Do I need a sworn affidavit from my wife?????? I-95 is a perfectly straight and flat road. "Normal" traffic in the left lane is running at 80-90mph. The other three cars were running in spurts 130mph plus according to them, I was the tortoise who kept it at 100+mph (speedometer buried so I am not sure of actual speed). They would get caught up in traffic and eventually I would catch up and they would pull away again. The Viper was not in the group returning to JAX, just going down.
All of my suspension components are new, bushings-etc. Ground effects and the new eibach suspension. I think I have the best tires available for the car (Yokohamas) . I still had a 1/4 tank of gas when arriving in JAX/ no stops.

There was actually a Toyota Corolla (with Ontario plates) that ran with us at those speeds and was still going that fast when we exited at Jacksonville.

It has been a long time since I drove this fast for that long on a public road and do not condone it however I just happened to get caught up in the moment and almost felt a need to show the newer high dollar cars that the DeLorean is respectable.

All three of the other drivers were surprised and impressed with the DeLorean's  (23 year old) ability to keep up (not sure what their expectations were)!

I'm glad I wrote the email now as the list was in a lull.

Marc it is your turn for a thread!

I'm done. Maybe track time will work out at an event?

Cecil Longwisch

Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 14:03:19 -0600
From: "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Fw: Houston suspension review

Well, actually...

If you calculate the said velocity of Cecil's DeLorean, along with the drag
coefficient of the car, taking into consideration the weather conditions and
wind direction that particular day, my calculations say the correct answer
for how fast Cecil was driving is:   .........Who gives a sh**?!!!

The point is: he was driving fast and the suspension is good.  Sometimes
things really are that simple.

The DML is not a court of law.  Maybe we should accuse Cecil of working for
DMCH, and then spend three weeks stoning him with the same 3 facts....

Jake Kamphoefner in 1063
"Sworn in" to the DML for 5 years

Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 17:01:55 -0500
From: jimbo0946_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Clutch Problem

DMLer's

I went to take my D out for a nice little drive and as soon as I sat down and felt the pedals, I knew something was wrong.  The clutch felt extremely loose.  I still have the original stiff clutch.  When I press on the pedal it feels like a normal loose clutch, found in today's cars, for about 75% of the way.  The remaining quarter of the way, it feels like it should.  It won't go into gear all the time, but will sometimes.

Could this just be the cable?  Any and all ideas welcome.

Jim

Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 22:53:11 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Clutch Problem

Open the hood and remove the rubber cover next to the gas fill, the
one closer to the side of the car. Underneath you will find the
resovoir for the clutch system. Look inside and see if there is any
fluid in there. I am guessing it is empty. You probably need to get a
clutch master AND slave cylinders, one of them (possibly both) have
failed. In any case it is just good practice to replace both of them
at the same time. If you haven't gotten the braided metal hose this is
a good time to replace it too. The clutch on a Delorean does not use a
cable, it is hydraulic.

Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 23:04:25 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

The DeLorean uses a hydraulic clutch system consisting of a clutch
master cylinder and a clutch slave cylinder. There is no cables or
linkages as found with today's cars. You've either got a leak in the
system, or you're reservoir is bone dry. If you've got drips under the
car then obviously you have leaks otherwise one of the cylinders are
shot. If you have air in the system, then you have a leak somewhere.
Go over the components and see if there is leaks or damage. Let us
know what happens, or if you'd like more help contact me off
list-----Dani B. #5003