From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2485
Date: Sunday, February 20, 2005 5:30 PM

1. Re: Clutch Problem
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

2. Re: Cooling System Problems - still (coolant overflow bottle)
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

3. Re: STAINLESS STELL HOSES
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

4. Re: Fw: Houston suspension review
From: "jeff512tr" <cingular512_at_dml_comcast.net>

5. Re: Re: Pictures of the DMCH Eibach Suspension? How does it look?
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>

6. New DeLorean Owner...Old engine blown...Help me make decision
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Re: Clutch Problem
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

8. RE: STAINLESS STEEL HOSES
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

9. RE: Clutch Problem
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

10. TOBY TAB install question for [sweitzel_2000]
From: "jamesrguk" <James_rg_at_dml_hotmail.com>

11. Re: New DeLorean Owner...Old engine blown...Help me make decision
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

12. Re: New DeLorean Owner...Old engine blown...Help me make decision
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

13. Re: New DeLorean Owner...Old engine blown...Help me make decision
From: "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Re: New DeLorean Owner...Old engine blown...Help me make decision
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

15. Brakecylinder
From: "Johan" <dmc_at_dml_tranceponder.se>

16. Re: Brakecylinder
From: "Johan" <dmc_at_dml_tranceponder.se>

17. Re: TOBY TAB install question for [sweitzel_2000]
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

18. Re: Clutch Problem
From: jimbo0946_at_dml_aol.com

19. Interior color
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 23:45:57 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com
Subject: Re: Clutch Problem

Jim - The very first thing to do is check the fluid level in the
clutch fluid reservoir.  The clutch system is hydraulic, so there is
no cable to simply tighten.  If the level has dropped significantly,
there may be air in the system now.  You will have to bleed that air
out before the clutch will work correctly.  If the fluid level has
gone down, you have a leak someplace.  The list of possible leak
sources includes the master cylinder (look for fluid on the driver's
side floor mat between the brake pedal and gas pedal), the hose
between the reservoir and the master cylinder (rubber, known to
deteriorate over time), the hydraulic fluid line (original is
plastic and is known to fail) between the master cylinder and the
slave cylinder, and finally; the slave cylinder (mounted on top of
the transmission bell housing just forward of the engine).  Pick
your favorite vendor for any parts that you find are not correct.
Diagnosing problems in this system does require some removal of
access panels, and also access to a lift or some good ramps for
inspections and repairs under the car.  Feel free to contact me off-
list for any additional information.  Good luck.

GENERAL GUIDANCE - Check all fluid levels *before* you have an issue
like this, rather than after.  Includes brakes, clutch, coolant,
transmission oil, and engine oil.  Good maintenance practice.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, jimbo0946_at_dml_a... wrote:
> I went to take my D out for a nice little drive and as soon as I
sat down and felt the pedals, I knew something was wrong.  The
clutch felt extremely loose.  I still have the original stiff
clutch.  When I press on the pedal it feels like a normal loose
clutch, found in today's cars, for about 75% of the way.  The
remaining quarter of the way, it feels like it should.  It won't go
into gear all the time, but will sometimes.

Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 00:18:09 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Cooling System Problems - still (coolant overflow bottle)

Good point - Hervey's cap will let you do a separate expansion
bottle BTW.

> Don't forget to use an overflow style radiator cap, otherwise
coolant
> will never get sucked back.
>
> System also MUST be 100% tight, otherwise it will suck outside air
> rather than overflow coolant.
>
> Bill Robertson
>
> >--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "David Teitelbaum"
<jtrealty_at_dml_w...> wrote:

> > Putting an overflow bottle on is a no-brainer. When I changed
over to
> > a metal header bottle I was no longer able to check the coolant
level.
> > To fix that I could have used a clear hose with two fittings top
and
> > bottom into the header bottle but I couldn't find any clear hose
that
> > could take the pressure and temperature. It was then that it made
> > perfect sense to just add a hose to the fitting under the
pressure cap
> > and run a hose over to an overflow bottle. I mounted mine just
ahead
> > of the carbon cannister on the left side of the engine
compartment and

Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 00:25:18 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: STAINLESS STELL HOSES

I agree - you can get that stuff at most speed-shops. I had a
braided mesh over the hose under the intake for some 15 years but
went with Grady's silicone hose at this year's tune-up and WP
replacement. It is probably better than a metal mesh.

Harold McElraft - 3354

Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 01:02:27 -0000
From: "jeff512tr" <cingular512_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Fw: Houston suspension review

I saw Cecil's car at the concours last weeknd, and it looked
absolutely awesome with the new Eibach springs! How awesome? I
ordered a set from DMCH the very next day for my car.
I am replacing the original DMCH lowering springs that I have on the
car now. They did lower the car some, but still maintained the
somewhat nose high attitude and I would like to see the nose about
1.5" lower still.
These new springs sure seemed to do the right thing for Cecils car.
Jeff Ippoliti
#20022

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_m...>
wrote:

> [...]
I had an opportunity to "try out" the Houston Eibach springs and
shocks. Running with a new Porsche GT3 ,Turbo Carrera, and a
supercharged Viper ... going to a show in Orlando, although  I could
not keep up with them on the straight a ways, I did corner as well as
the Porsche and probably better than the Viper on the ramps. I sure
wanted the 140 mph speedometer as I had no idea how fast we were
going. (Jacksonville to Orlando , 147 miles in traffic in 90
minutes , you do the math!)

> I can not tell you how much lowering the car with these improved
springs and shocks help the car.

> The best thing I ever did to the car!
>
> By the way it was a great exotic car show with 20 Ferraris (
including an Enzo), 12 Lamborghinis, 7 Vipers, 60 Porsches, one
Rolls, one Bentley and one DeLorean!

> There is another great show coming up in Celebration near Orlando
which should be as good if not better. I hear last year there were 14
DeLoreans.

Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 20:11:18 -0500
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Pictures of the DMCH Eibach Suspension? How does it look?

One added comment. The rear height is adjustable by screwing collars on the bottom of the shocks.

If you like the nose a little lower in the front, raise the rear a little.

As far as the ride it is firm but not harsh. The big difference for me was the reduced body roll.

Cecil Longwisch

Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 03:56:47 -0000
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: New DeLorean Owner...Old engine blown...Help me make decision

Hi Everyone!

Since I was a little kid, I knew I wanted a DeLorean and I finally
have one!  I decided to purchase a 1981 DeLorean that is in need of
some much needed TLC.  The body is in great condition, but the
engine seems to be the only issue.  A mechanic blew out the original
engine several years ago and a new mechanic tried to place a 1992
Eagle Premiere Engine in the vehicle.  I recently hoisted the engine
out of the car and noticed that there is a decent amount of rust and
the engine will probably require some major cleaning to get it
working.  My question is this...Since I got the car for a really low
price and it doesn't have the original engine (who knows where the
mechanic trashed it)...Should I place a 1997 V8 Twin Turbo Lotus
Engine (Currently in contact with a seller for a good price) or
should I try to resurrect the old '92 Eagle Premiere Engine that was
attempted?  The original automatic transmission seems in decent
condition and the car only had around 26k miles on it.  I can easily
get a Renault transmission for the V8 Twin Turbo Engine as well.  I
always wanted a project DeLorean and this car seemed to fit since
most of the original parts are still on the vehicle except for the
engine.  Thankfully, most of the main parts seem to be in good
working order.  Just a few new misc. upkeep parts so far.  Any
suggestions?  My main reasoning is this, if I keep the '92 engine
wouldn't the value in my car depreciate more than a '97 Lotus V8
Twin Turbo that is exotic?  I'd hope since the original engine is
completely blown that placing such an engine would enhance the price
instead of possibly spending the same amount of money trying to get
this 92 eagle premiere engine to work.  I'm definitely not looking
to sell my baby but having such information definitely helps with
the wife.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Brandon N.
Proud New Owner of Neglected '81 DMC 12
Vin 003323 (Do I have that right?)
New Website with pics to come!
PS - Does anyone have a good cross-reference number for Gull Wing
Door Lift Supports?  The Passenger Side door doesn't work anymore...

Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 04:29:53 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

One other potential leak source: the stopper in the master cylinder
that shuts off the reservior. If it fails, fluid will shoot out the
top of the reservior rather than activate the slave cylinder.

Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 22:46:05 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: STAINLESS STEEL HOSES

I have and have access to stainless steel braded to go over the hoses. If
you let me know which hoses, I can get it.

I agree - you can get that stuff at most speed-shops. I had a
braided mesh over the hose under the intake for some 15 years but
went with Grady's silicone hose at this year's tune-up and WP
replacement. It is probably better than a metal mesh.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_v...> wrote:

> I believe those are just slip over braid purchased through any
hotrod parts
> vendor. JC Whitney carries them. You also need the end cover
fittings.

[moderator snip]

Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 22:40:58 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Jim,
As the others have said about the clutch hydraulics', my question is how
many miles are on the car and do you know if the clutch has ever been
changed. Also, there is a small seal in the clutch master cylinder that if
it isn't sealing properly will allow fluid to go back into the reservoir
when you step on the pedal. You can see the clutch seals for the master and
slave on the site.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/clutch-transmission.html

I went to take my D out for a nice little drive and as soon as I sat down
and felt the pedals, I knew something was wrong.  The clutch felt extremely
loose.  I still have the original stiff clutch.  When I press on the pedal
it feels like a normal loose clutch, found in today's cars, for about 75% of
the way.  The remaining quarter of the way, it feels like it should.  It
won't go into gear all the time, but will sometimes.

Could this just be the cable?  Any and all ideas welcome.

Jim

Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 16:54:41 -0000
From: "jamesrguk" <James_rg_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: TOBY TAB install question for [sweitzel_2000]

Hi there,

I was just looking at your Toby TAB install photos in the photos
section, was this an install on an Automatic trans DeLorean?

I have to do mine, my car is of the road anyway at the mo, but would
be greatful if you could contact me of list for some help.

A few questions.....

1) do you have to disconnect the trailing arm from the hub carriers
on both sides of the car?
2) did you require any special tools?
3) did you do this over a pit/on a ramp? or do you have to take the
weight of the rear wheels for this operation?

Many thanks

James RG
VIN#5462 UK

Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 17:03:47 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

The least expensive option would be to go with an origional PRV
engine. Around $5k. It does not have to be the one the car was built
with. There is no "matching numbers". The next higher price would be
with DMCH's performance engine. An engine swap to any other kind of
motor is going to cost at least twice as much and take a whole lot
longer to do. The automatic trans will not live very long with any
kind of upgraded engine, it can't take the horsepower. Doing an engine
swap means a lot of custom made parts, rewiring the car, changing the
weight bias and handling, and on and on. You also must document
everything carefully so it can be serviced in the future. If you have
the time and money go for it but if you have ANY doubts it is probably
safer to stay as stock as you can. Doing an engine swap does not
always make the car worth more. A lot depends on how it is done. If
you do an engine swap do not count on getting all of your investment
back. All of the Delorean venders sell door struts, you may also need
a torsion bar adjustment.

Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 16:47:56 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

Brandon,

You will probably see this posted here numerous times, but check
out Tamir's Delorean Website under the Custom Deloreans section,
Lotus Conversion.  Robert has done an awesome job on the same
type of conversion you mentioned, but note it was expensive.

Also, do not try to get door struts with some cross-reference
number, since these struts are specific to the Delorean and any
other strut may cause damage to the strut mount, if too long.
Any of the major Delorean parts vendors have the "right ones".

wrote:

> Hi Everyone!
>
> Since I was a little kid, I knew I wanted a DeLorean and I finally
> have one!  I decided to purchase a 1981 DeLorean that is in need
of
> some much needed TLC.  The body is in great condition, but the
> engine seems to be the only issue.  A mechanic blew out the
original
> engine several years ago and a new mechanic tried to place a 1992
> Eagle Premiere Engine in the vehicle.
(moderator snip)

Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 14:37:22 -0000
From: "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Well this seems like a no brainer.  If you have access to the lotus
v8 and follow the example set forth by robert on tamir's site.  that
would be the definite way to go.  I'm surprised you would even have
to ask.  The premiere engine has NOTHING on value or desireablility
over a Lotus v8.  The key to value here is desireability.  if you
have a buyer who tries to tell you your car isn't worth anything
because there is a lotus engine in it then they are lying to you to
get a good price.   DO IT.  and do it right.   And give us lots of
pics and your source for the engine :-)

Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 18:44:12 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

There are often used DMC PRV engines around for considerably less
than $5000 as well. It really depends on what your budget is - the
spred between your ideas is probably $10,000 lowest to highest. How
much are you trying to spend (or not spend?). Are you trying to build
up a performance car or just a D to drive?

The Eagle engine swap has been done but there are options there - did
he attempt to keep the original Bosch mechanical FI from the DMC or
did he get the EFI and computer from the Eagle?

Your simplest/cheapest way out would be to find a good used DMC
engine and put it back to "normal". Anything else will require a fair
amount of backyard engineering - so it depends on how good you are at
that. If you go this route try and get a "dressed" engine, i.e.
alternator, manifolds, etc. Not that you need all that, but it may
save you a lot of time finding all the little brackets and fittings
that you are likely missing.

Be prepared to find some problems with that transmission - if it's
been sitting a long time other things go bad.

Sounds like a good project car.

Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 20:08:57 +0100
From: "Johan" <dmc_at_dml_tranceponder.se>
Subject: Brakecylinder

Hi,

I'm about to change brake cylinder.
Just woundering if this is the proper part before i rip it apart.

Please look att the pictures of the cylinder i bought this weekend.
http://dmc.yournetalbum.com    click on "brake cylinder" folder.

Regards
Johan

Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 20:49:58 +0100
From: "Johan" <dmc_at_dml_tranceponder.se>
Subject: Re: Brakecylinder

The old one is still on the car, the one on the pics is the new :)
I haven't begun with the work yes just purchased the cylinder. I guess
dml:ers has gone thru this before so just checking if its the right part.

Regards
Johan
5425

Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 20:26:47 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: TOBY TAB install question for [sweitzel_2000]

1) You only have to disconnect the trailing arm to hub carrier on the
left side for an automatic unless you cannot easily remove the bolt.
2) No special tools required unless you cannot remove the bolt easily.
In that case you have to remove the trailing arm AND bushing mount
with the bolt, and then take the whole mess to a shop to have it
pressed apart. BTW you will need a torque wrench (not a special tool).
3) You HAVE to remove all weight from the rear suspension. I do not
recomend ramps. Jackstands are much safer. Place them under the rear
frame. Toby can also give you the info you will need. Be sure to count
the # of shims BEFORE you take it apart. Use a magic marker and write
the # right on the frame. Be careful, the shims are not all always the
same thickness. You could have some thick ones and some thin ones. I
like to stick the thin ones in between the thick ones (if there are
any thin ones).

Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 15:52:07 -0500
From: jimbo0946_at_dml_aol.com

Thank you for all that have helped.  It was in fact that the fluid was low.  I filled the system, bled the air out, and everything was fine.  I plan on running through the whole system and see if I can see a small leak somewhere.

I'm not sure how much hydraulic fluid it takes, but I put in about a cup...didn't seem too much, then bled it.

My D only has 23,500 miles on it.

Thanks Again,
Jim
VIN#15880

Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 22:04:33 -0000
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Interior color

(I hope this doesn't sound "noobish," uninformed or just plain
stupid! ^_^)
Have there been two variants on the DeLorean's grey interior,
meaning "Dark Grey" and "Light Grey?" I always thought there was
just black and grey, minus the very rare, coveted beige of the gold
DMC's. Mine is grey except for the top of the dash which is all
cracked and blackened from the previous owner living in CA.
-John
*plays riff from Metallica's "Blackened" here*