From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2489
Date: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 10:45 AM

1. Re: Fuel Accumulator
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

2. Re: Fuel Accumulator
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

3. RE: Re: Interior color
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

4. Re: Fuel Accumulator
From: "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Re: Fuel Accumulator
From: "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. DMC (Texas) 2005 Open House Event (Update)
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

7. Re: red paint lower control arm
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

8. Re: Re: Fuel Accumulator
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

9. Door Lift Pistons- Rob or Houston
From: "delorean02378" <delorean02378_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. Fuel Injectors Cleaned
From: rickmichaels_at_dml_yahoo.com

11. Recall Identification
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>

12. Detroit AutoRama Delorean
From: "vin00538" <lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net>

13. Re: Re: Cooling System - High Pressure
From: Jeff Phillips <rvparty_at_dml_gmail.com>

14. Re: Re: "Fake" converter available
From: Jeff Phillips <rvparty_at_dml_gmail.com>

15. Sony Gran Turismo 4
From: "Steven L. Alves" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>

16. Re: Door Lift Pistons- Rob or Houston
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

17. Re: Fuel Injectors Cleaned
From: Jeff Phillips <rvparty_at_dml_gmail.com>

18. Re: Door Lift Pistons- Rob or Houston
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

19. Re: Fuel Injectors Cleaned
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

20. Re: "Fake" converter available (Rusty Hardware)
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 20:39:14 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Fuel Accumulator

You probably kinked the pickup hose when you put the pump in, or the
pickup filter is blocked. You should drain the tank and see if there's
crap in the bottom, clean it out and replace the filter

(did exactly this on Saturday)

Martin

Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:04:58 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Sometimes you can hear the accumulator make a noise a while AFTER you
turn the car off as it de-compresses. You may also hear this if you
power up the fuel pump, cold-start, without the starter running.

It sounds like thumping a beer can. Any "running" noise you hear has
to be the fuel pump noise being carried thru the system.

> Matt, If there is a crimp in the return line somewhere that will
create a
> higher pressure back from it and the car will have trouble running.
The

Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 15:10:45 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Interior color

If any of you are going to the DMCH open house, they will show you the
prototypes of
the burgendy / marroon interior peices they were making for 83.
Nasty looking.
I think there is actually one or two people who actually have it.
-VB

Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 22:45:13 -0000
From: "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I just dont see how the sound could be coming from the pump.   I
literally had it out of the car in my hand pumping gas to the
engine.  ther was no excessive vibration or noise coming from the
pump.  but there was still sound coming from the transmission area.
Could sound really be transmitted through a rubber hose that
loudly?  AND it is a brand new pump.  The problem also dissapears if
the car sits over night.

Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 22:48:19 -0000
From: "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Nope, checked that.  tank is clean as a whistle.  no kinks in the
pickup hose.  no collapsed hoses.  The return line was pinched a
little and it hasn't done it since that was corrected but I also
haven't driven the car long enough to see.  It seems to only do it
if I have been driving at varying RPM's for an extended period.

Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:57:16 -0600
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: DMC (Texas) 2005 Open House Event (Update)

I'd like to thank everyone who has registered for the event so far.
After a little more than a week after opening up registration for this
event, it's already half sold-out.

We've received registrations from:

Texas
Florida
Illinois
California
New Jersey
Ohio
Tennessee
Alabama
Missouri
Maryland
New York
Oregon
Nevada
Arizona
Oklahoma
Wisconsin
Northern Ireland
The Netherlands

Remember, registering for the event gets your BRP privileges from the
date of your registration through the end of 2005 - that means a 10%
discount on all non-kit purchases from DMC (Texas).

James Espey

------------------------------------
DeLorean Motor Company
Vice President
james_at_dml_delorean.com
15023 Eddie Drive
Humble, Texas 77396 USA
tel: 800/872-3621
tel2:281/441-2537
fax: 281/441-2813
http://www.delorean.com
------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 23:34:25 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: red paint lower control arm

The short answer is YES, when the "RED" recall was done the parts were
marked with red paint and a red dot was to be placed just to the left
of the engine cover support. There was a subsequent recall, the BLUE
recall, after that. You should have the Blue recall done too.

Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 23:08:27 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Re: Fuel Accumulator

The tank is a pretty good echo chamber.  Once that pump vibrates
and the fuel level goes down it can resonate pretty well.  When I
first got my car, we drove it from New Mexico to Minnesota in
September.  Along about the badlands, I started to hear a vibration
coming from what sounded like the right front footwell.  It got louder
as time went on.  We pulled in to Wall Drug for lunch and gas, and
when we hit the road again, the noise was gone.  The only difference
was fuel level and some cooling.  It still gets pretty warm in South
Dakota in September, so I think that was a contributor to the intensity
of the sound.  Ever since then, I have been able to count on a buzzing
from the fuel tank as a reliable indicator of low fuel - much better than
the tankzilla low fuel indicator lamp.  I've had the car since 1993 and
haven't had to change out the pump.

Another possible source of the sound is a pinhole leak in the intake
hose.  Even a small leak is enough to draw some air into the pump
once the fuel level goes down a bit.  The cavitation caused by the
air is pretty noisy.

-------------- Original message from "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>: --------------

Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 23:59:11 -0000
From: "delorean02378" <delorean02378_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Door Lift Pistons- Rob or Houston

My two cents on ordering Door Lift Pistons.

I had Rob's (P.J. Grady's) door lift pistons on the Delorean for the
past two years and they have been wonderful. I open the door and UP
they go, even in the cold! Those things lastest forever, I only
changed them because 1 of them started to sag a little this winter.

I usually order parts from PJ Grady's and Houston. This time I had
ordered some Door Lift Pistons from Houston and they are just not as
good. I have to assist the door for them to go all the way up. I've
had them in the box for 4 or 5 months but I wouldn't think that would
make any difference. I guess I was just use to pulling the latch and
the doors going UP, not the case anymore. What would be the big
difference? Why would Rob's work so well and Houston's half ass?

Don't get me wrong, this is the first part I've ever not been 100%
satisfied with from Houston but I'm just not all about these door
pistons. How cool does it look to open the door and literally have to
HELP the door go up!

Kirk

Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 01:52:40 -0000
From: rickmichaels_at_dml_yahoo.com
Subject: Fuel Injectors Cleaned

  I am some tune up work on my car over the winter months and wanted
to have my fuel injectors cleaned.  Does anyone recommend a service
center to take them to are send them to?  Is there anything I should
look out for when taking them in?  Also, should I mark the injectors
so that they are put back in the same locations after cleaning?  I am
in the Detroit area.

Thanks,

Rick

Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 19:31:31 -0500
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>
Subject: Recall Identification

Hey all,

There has been some talk recently about recalls and how to identify them.  My question is if anyone has a complete list of all of the recalls and the subsequent colors and paint marks that should be found on the car, and where to find them.  I will be looking at a car next week that I suspect has not had any of these updates.  So it would nice to be able to prove the neglect in that area.

Thanks,
Todd

Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 02:18:48 -0000
From: "vin00538" <lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net>
Subject: Detroit AutoRama Delorean

Good news Poeple,
I just got my Exhibitor passes today for the Detroit AutoRama march 4-
6, Now I have to get to work cleaning her all up for the show, the
chairman said he was sorry for having to give me such short notice
for the show but, once they saw the photo's I sent they had to get it
down there, ( the board want's to check it out up close ).
Hope to see some of you there. if you do show up let me know who you
are I will be more than happy to talk & show my De Lorean off. check
out pictures in files for my car. vin00538
Thanks,Lawrence vin 00538

Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 20:31:39 -0600
From: Jeff Phillips <rvparty_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Cooling System - High Pressure

I had a leaking head gasket on mine.  It would hold a pressure just
fine but would blow out coolant when under a load, like heavy
accelleration.  Other than that it displayed no typical signs of head
gasket failure as the leak only occured under combustion pressure.
Ie.  No coolant in the cylinders, no oil in the coolant, no sweet
smelling exhaust.  I also ran the engine with the pressure tester on
and watched the pressure climb and exceeded 15 psi.  If you are
experienceing overheating then be concerned with it.  If you are not
then run the right cap and if there are no problems then don't dig for
one.

Jeff

Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 20:38:53 -0600
From: Jeff Phillips <rvparty_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: "Fake" converter available

I Absolutely correct.  I had to cut my crossover pipe in half and
rewelded later.  The nuts on the cat were so far gone that they were
rounded off.  Even after having the cat/half-pipe out, cuting off the
studs, and pounding with a sledge I still couldn't separate it.  Ended
up taking it to a muffler shop where they could heat it with a  torch.
 They replaced the flex portion and rewelded the pipe, all is good
now.

Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 22:06:40 -0500
From: "Steven L. Alves" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>
Subject: Sony Gran Turismo 4

I noticed James Espey got a special thanks in the new Playstation game. I haven't actually played it yet but I am guessing that means there is a DeLorean in it..

Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 21:06:22 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Door Lift Pistons- Rob or Houston

www.specialtauto.com sells NEW struts that were made by the same
company that made the originals back when the factory was open.

Mark V

Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 21:12:54 -0600
From: Jeff Phillips <rvparty_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Fuel Injectors Cleaned

Yes send them to John Hervey at Special T.  He offers a dirt cheap
rate and will credit the cleaning fee towards the cost of new
injectors if you opt to buy them.

Jeff
#10544

Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 03:36:36 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

My car also possesses Grady's pistons. Why are they better you ask?
Read the website, they're custom made to be better then original with
better seals and etc. Check out their site! -----Dani B. #5003

Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 21:07:16 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

www.specialtauto.com cleans them.

Mark V

Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 15:29:10 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: "Fake" converter available (Rusty Hardware)

The biggest byproduct of internal combustion is water vapor (burning
HYDROcarbons). That's why exhaust systems rust from the inside out.
That's also why a car that has never seen road or beach salt can have
hopelessly rusted exhaust hardware.