From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2496
Date: Sunday, February 27, 2005 4:27 PM

1. RE: Re: Gran Turismo 4 Screenshots
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

2. Re: Another EBAY Scam!!!!
From: "paul" <paul.morgan_at_dml_monifieth.co.uk>

3. Re: delorean turbo question
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Re: DeLorean Car Mats
From: "M. P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>

5. Re: New Pictures of hidden treasures _at_dml_ NBC Universal
From: "Dave" <v-davidj_at_dml_microsoft.com>

6. Re: delorean turbo question
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

7. Re: Re: DeLorean Motor Company Opens Southeastern Regional Service and ...
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

8. Re: Mechanic Referal - Washington, DC
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

9. re-DeLorean Turbo Question
From: "Bruce Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

10. Re: Re: DeLorean Car Mats
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Re: delorean turbo question
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Re: Re: delorean turbo question
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. High Idle
From: Woody <BePositive2000_at_dml_Yahoo.com>

14. My New Can of Spinach
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Re: delorean turbo question
From: "Dave" <v-davidj_at_dml_microsoft.com>

16. Re: delorean turbo question
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

17. RE: DeLorean Car Mats
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

18. Still Looking for DMC in Driving Distance from Detroit
From: "Aaron" <atsudds_at_dml_cogeco.ca>

19. Alpine A310 on eBay.
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

20. Re: delorean turbo question
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

21. Re: Re: DeLorean Motor Company Opens Southeastern Regional Service and ...
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

22. Re: High Idle
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

23. RE: High Idle
From: "Gary Hull" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

24. RE: High Idle
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

25. RE: delorean turbo question
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 16:47:02 +0100
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: RE: Re: Gran Turismo 4 Screenshots

If somebody is looking for a pretty good simulation with a Delroean in it -
check out the game RACER.
http://www.racer.nl/

Racetracks and Cars can be found and downloaded. It inlcudes the regular
Delorean and the 200hp version.

I tested it on the Nurburg-Ring - in the game and in real life. But I drove
much better in real life ;-)

Elvis & 6548

That's a good thing in my opinion.  In a game like this with tons of hot
cars, if you could get a DeLorean and get at best 250hp out of it after all
the
mods, people would say, 'don't get the delorean, that thing is slow and
sucks'
when they could have a viper or something else instead.  All that would do
is
help make our cars seem inferior to 'real exotics'.  We have been waiting
(some
of us anyway) for a real game that has a real DeLorean in it, and luckily
they didn't make it the runt.  In fact, from what I have heard, it appears
to be
an aspirational/reward vehicle.  We should be very pleased!!

Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 21:02:05 +0000
From: "paul" <paul.morgan_at_dml_monifieth.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Another EBAY Scam!!!!

It would be great if a Delorean did sell in the Uk for 4000$! One has to
part with at least 15,000 to become a owning member of this newsgroup :-(

Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 13:52:34 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: delorean turbo question

Can you still get new turbo setups??

It is unfortunate, there are (IMHO) no good cost
effective performance modifications that can be done
to the DeLorean.

The turbo kits that have been around are OK, but even
if you limit the boost to 6 lbs (as most do) you risk
internal engine damage.  Usually a cracked ring.  Dick
Ryan (who lives at higher altitude than the rest of
us) is the only person I know who has reported no oil
burning on his bolt-on turbo setup.

To do turbo's correctly, you would need a full engine
rebuild using turbo-parts (Pistons and rings are the
biggest problem).  I would also suggest a electronic
engine management system that is turbo-aware to get
optimum performance and reliability... But this
project would probably get up in to the 10K plus price
range.

Exhaust improvements are a good idea.  There are some
kits already out there.  The DMC exhaust system is a
BIG bottleneck and probably the best place to start.
However, if your future plans include turbo chargers,
it will limit your exhaust options.

I don't know if DMCH sells their exhaust system alone
(or only with the full engine upgrade), but you can
call them and check.  I find the DMCH system to be too
loud, but it may not be too difficult to swap the
mufflers with something a little less noisy (SonnyV
says I am too old!).

DeLorean UK also has a nice exhaust system, but I have
not heard it so I cant comment on the noise.

http://www.delorean.co.uk/DMUK/perfomance.html

Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 22:25:21 -0000
From: "M. P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>
Subject: Re: DeLorean Car Mats

Ray,
     These look like very nice quality pieces.  Can you refer me to
someone who has them installed so I can see pictures and talk with
them about the product?  I have the stock carpeting in my DeLorean and
the rear deck piece is too big front to back and too short side to
side.  I need a mat that will lay in there perfectly and line up with
the rear wall and wheel wells the way it was intended.

I look forward to your reply,

Matthew
VIN 16816

P.S. Kudos for coming to the DeLorean public with a new and functional
upgrade.  The embroidery is a nice touch!

Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 23:31:13 -0000
From: "Dave" <v-davidj_at_dml_microsoft.com>
Subject: Re: New Pictures of hidden treasures _at_dml_ NBC Universal

Hey Sam...

Thanks for sharing the pics.  I have a question...why does the
DeLorean have, what looks like, Advent speakers in the quarter panel
windows?

Thanks!
Dave Jacobs

Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 23:50:11 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

I would not recomend installing a turbo on an automatic, it will not
live long with the added power. Straight pipes will be way too noisy.
Before installing, the motor should be in tip-top shape with a recent
tune up and the cooling system should not have any problems like
leaks, old hoses etc. All of the engine systems should be working
properly and correctly adjusted. It is more difficult to diagnose
engine problems with the turbos added. The trubo set-up can be done by
an advanced novice but is best done by someone with some experience.
Perhaps the hardest part will be putting the fittings into the block
and removing the old exhaust system.

Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 19:03:50 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: DeLorean Motor Company Opens Southeastern Regional Service and ...

In a message dated 2/26/05 9:46:52 AM Central Standard Time, PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com
writes:

> Unfortunately I think it would have
> been better in the Midwest, for people who can't journey to Texas or
> New York, or now Florida to easily have their cars serviced by
> DeLorean experts.

I agree.  Great for the southeast to get a new facility - it kinda takes the
place of DMC Joe when he got out of the business.  But the upper midwest could
really use something.  It just isn't feasible for me to take my car on a two
day trip for professional servicing.  The Chicago area seems to be a major DMC
hub and could probably stand to keep someone pretty busy.  On the other hand,
I have also wondered how flooded the very tiny DeLorean market is getting?
If we opened up ANOTHER shop, could the community sustain it?  Or are we
currently under-supported?  How backed up are the real service centers?

Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 00:08:42 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Mechanic Referal - Washington, DC

You need to make acquaintance with Rich Acuti
(racuti1[at]delorean.com)in Crofton MD and Mike Cohee
(Billsfanmd[at]aol.com)in Columbia MD. Once upon a time, tech sessions
at Mike's place were a regular feature. I'd drive up and play (family
in Arlington VA). Eric Itzel (eric[at]Seviernet.com) would drive over
from Tennessee (family in Anapolis MD). Rich is pretty good in back of
the car. Mike's expertise is in the passenger compartment. Eric has
done some stainless repairs. We may need to get back into the tech
session habit...

Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 18:27:45 -0700
From: "Bruce Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

Your post doesn't offer any clues as to your expertice with a project like
this. There are numerous obstacles to overcome and none of the previously
offered kits are available any longer. When I turbocharged my DeLorean I
thought I could beat the then advertised BAE single turbo kit price of
$1800. In the end I spent at least that much and today's price would be
considerably more than that. There was an excellent article in Gullwing
magazine an issue or two back regarding the trials and tribulations of
installing a turbo on the DeLorean. If you haven't read it you might try Ron
Wester at
gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net to see if there are back issues available.
While you're at it you might want to subscribe, it's a great magazine.

Bruce Benson

Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 18:11:41 -0800 (PST)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: DeLorean Car Mats

Matthew & others

I just received and installed the mats from DOA
(Deloreanmats.com).  My comments are:

VERY heavy, luxurious carpet stock.  Should wear very
well.

Fit is excellent.  I got the entire series - trunk
mat, floor mats and rear shelf mat.  Like Matt (no pun
intended - well maybe intended) my stock rear shelf
mat was short, side to side and almost too long, front
to rear.  This mat fit extremely well.

I have the two tone '83 and went with the black mats.
Because I have alwasy felt that the D could use just a
dab of color, I went with the embroidered "DeLorean"
in red.  Yeah, I know that will get some responses,
but, to each his own.

I can't say how they will wear.  But I can say they
look and fit better than anything I have had in either
of my cars and that includes the original dealer
installed mats in my first D.

FWIW, I am not a fan of the current DOA, but I cannot
say anything bad about the mats.

Dick Ryan
VIN 16867

http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo

Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 18:22:18 -0800 (PST)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Marc is pretty much on target here.  However, a couple
of comments may put a slightly different perspective
on this subject.

Rings:  Total Seal has rings for the D.  They have
them in "regular" and "forged" (for forced induction
engines).  With these rings you have almost zero
blow-by.  I have not installed them, but on the next
significant engine work I probably will.

Pistons:  Forged pistons in various compression ratios
are also available, per Don Steger at DeLorean Motor
Center.  He has built a "racing" PRV using forged
pistons with a 7 to 1 compression ratio to be used
with high pressure forced induction.

Fuel:  I suspect that this is what prompts Marc's
commenta about an engine management system.  More fuel
is desireable for the engine when boost is smployed.
The articles by Joe Kuchan in the recent Gullwing
magazine address this to a point.  More could be done,
of course, but these changes are not cost prohibitive.

Dick Ryan
VIN 16867

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 18:27:25 -0800 (PST)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: delorean turbo question

I sort of second David's comments - but only sort of.

I ran twin turbos on my first DeLorean which was an
automatic.  After some 30,000 miles with the turbos
(installed when the car already had over 40,000
miles), there were no transmission problems.

The problem is that the automatic is somewhat slow off
the line.  Add to that the adjustment to timing
necessitated by the turbos and I just felt that I
didn't get any real bang for the buck.

Perhaps with a higher stall speed converter?????

Dick Ryan
VIN 16867

Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 18:33:17 -0800 (PST)
From: Woody <BePositive2000_at_dml_Yahoo.com>
Subject: High Idle

I'm stumped. Car insists on running at 2400-2600 rpm.

I've diagnosed the idle circuit by removing the ECU plugs and doing all
the tests. I did not have the temp curve for the thermistor but the
resistance variation approached that of a chart I had for a Volvo B28F.
Nothing seems to be binding in the linkage, throttle plates are closed
at idle, air metering plate not binding.

I tried checking the frequency valve with a dwell meter attached to the
orange wire on the diagnostic plug, but not sure I was reading the
dwell correctly.  One book says read dwell on 4 cylinder scale, other
books, including the Delorean manual do not say what scale so I assume
they mean the 6 cylinder scale. I don't have a gas analyzer and cannot
find anyone around that will check CO who knows the engine.

This car had been in storage for 5-7 years so I removed & cleaned the
tank, cleaned the lines, and replaced the pump, cold start injector,
control pressure regulator, injectors and fuel distributor with those
from my wrecked D which had most of these components replace in the
past 2 years.  Installed new accumulator, as well.

In addition, I installed a new thermistor, replaced most of the vacuum
lines, checked for vacuum leaks in the system and did not find any.

The past 2 days I've also noticed a new possible problem.  The car
starts hard after sitting for several hours.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or sites to look for answers.  I
thought had troubleshot about every conceivable problem with the
injection system but this one has me stumped.

Woody

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 03:33:59 -0000
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: My New Can of Spinach

Hi everyone!

I figured I should share a recent positive experience I had amidst
many tough ones.  As for the title, I consider my Delorean my new
can of spinach (popeye reference) because of the way it makes me
feel.

As you guys know, I posted a little while back about my Delorean
that needs some help since the original engine was blown.  Well the
bank didn't care and therefore I had to hurry and get the VIN
verified before they could issue the title etc.  Sadly, I couldn't
convince the people to drive half a mile down the road to do it in
my garage and therefore had to hire a couple guys with a truck and
car trailer to tow it down there.

And so the story begins.  Since there is no engine I had to cleverly
construct a little invention out of nuts and bolts to properly
secure the rear wheel rotors and wheels onto the car.  Once that was
accomplished I tested it to make sure the vehicle would roll and
thankfully it did, very smoothly.  Yet again, another obstacle.
After spending two weeks trying to get the car rolling, I forget the
keys 60 miles away and the front wheels are locked.  After much
internal yelling and kicking myself, we managed to use a jack and
push the front end around as necessary to get it onto the car
trailer.  Needless to say, without an engine the Delorean is light
enough for me to push by myself.

Now this is where the fun starts.

The car is on the trailer and we begin our half mile trip down to
the local Jiffy Lube.  I had to follow the trailer because there
wasn't room in the truck.  I'd have to say this experience made all
my craziness absolutely worth it.  As we traveled, I watched
everyone and I mean absolutely EVERYONE staring at the car.
Pointing, smiling, people walking and actually stopping to point.
By the time we got to Jiffy Lube I nearly had a group of people
standing around the car.  I know the Delorean is Stainless Steel but
was a huge magnet installed in it too?  Anyways, I spoke to many
onlookers and had a great time explaining the voyage of this car.
One of the funniest sites I'd have to say I have ever seen is when a
biker on a really nice Harley watched the car pass by him and then
actually drove up next to it practically staring it down.  He was
smiling and seemed to be having a good time simply looking at the
car.

All in all, I just wanted to share my experience.  After 3 weeks of
grinding rust and putting lots of love into this car, it was really
nice to see it light up peoples faces.

At this point I'm thinking of buying a used Delorean engine till I
can find the perfect engine to upgrade it with.  I'm still talking
to the guy with the Lotus, but we'll see if he works something out :)
If anyone has a used engine they are willing to sell in the
meantime, please send me an email.

Thanks for listening,

Brandon N.

Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 05:31:12 -0000
From: "Dave" <v-davidj_at_dml_microsoft.com>

Hmmmm....didn't cost me that much.

How much do the BAE kits usually go for?  I have seen them for about
$3k.

-Forged Pistons, rings, rods, pins $800
-Fuel system tuning (re-routing vacuum for CPR, hobbs switch, other
parts) $60
-MSD Blaster Coil2 $60

Added Equipment for Precautions:
-Remote oil filter for turbo $15
-Electric oil pump with aeroquip lines $200 (for external filter)
-Oil cooler kit w/aeroquip lines $100
-Transmission Cooler Kit w/aeroquip lines $100

Considering you do all the work yourself, and you get a BAE kit, you
could get it done, with the added precautions for about $4k and
change.

If you didn't get the BAE kit, it would probably cost you just as much
to build one yourself.  You can find good turbos with wastegates for
about ~$600 (i.e. Ebay Item# 7957433987).  Get some intake piping made
for you at a muffler shop if you don't have a tig or mig welder to do
the work youself.  Shouldn't cost you very much.  There really isn't
much to the BAE kit...if I were to make one myself, I estimate it
would probably cost me about $900 total which includes a Dynomax or
Flowmaster muffler, and all Aeroquip lines.

I suppose if you went with electronic fuel injection, which you really
don't need to do, that could cost you about $2500 to convert your car.
 That could bring you up to $6500 in parts.

Marc is correct that if you don't do the work yourself, you could
easily pay upwards of $10k or more to have it done.

FYI
Dave Jacobs

P.S.  My car (automatic) doesn't eat oil.  Running _at_dml_ 10psi  =)

Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 08:47:33 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

I've had excellent results running a richer overall fuel mixture on
what is basically the same engine (8.5:1 compression). Is especially
noticeable at lower RPM's. Note that I have no catalytic converters to
be affected.

(Don't even think about igniting a carburetion flame war -- Renault
cleaned the 2.8L odd fire clock with a dual carb'd setup on the A310:
160 max HP, albeit at 9.5:1 compression).

Speaking of which: all super/turbo charging does is basically yield
the same results as simply increasing compression of normal aspiration.

Regarding the exhaust system: If you route it UNDER the rear frame
extensions, rather than trying to squeeze it BETWEEN them, space is
opened up for all sorts of options, especially if you don't use a
muffler across the front of the engine. My engine compartment now
looks absolutely anemic next to a factory configuration.

Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 10:04:07 +0100
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

Ray,
me and some other Delorean owners over here in Europe
are interested in these great looking carpets. But it is
a bit disappointing that you don't ship to non US addresses.
Why not ?

Elvis Nocita, Proud Owner
www.deloreans.de

Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 13:47:15 -0000
From: "Aaron" <atsudds_at_dml_cogeco.ca>
Subject: Still Looking for DMC in Driving Distance from Detroit

Still looking for a manual tranny DMC within driving distance of
Detroit.  Really would like a project car that is complete and needs
mechanical work.  Not running ok.  Perfer not to have major rust issues.

Thanks,

Aaron
Windsor/Detroit
asudds_at_dml_yahoo.com

Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 15:57:37 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Alpine A310 on eBay.

Well, if you ever wanted to own one, or at least see some good
pictures of the interior, now is your chance!

ViewItem&rd=1&item=4530993416&category=6385

Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 15:58:12 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

Looking for more engine performance in a DeLorean is a common
thread. At the risk of getting boo-ed out of the list I would submit
that there are few turbo installs that work reliably and deliver.
I've seen two that appear to be engineered to function correctly -
Marc Levy's Legend turbo and Marty Maier's turbo application. I'm
sure there are one or two more out there.

Engineering for proper and adequate fuel delivery, spark timing, and
boost at different throttle positions is no simple task. If you
happen to be successful at producing a lot more controllable
horsepower you then are faced with emissions issues, needed brake
modification, probable suspension issues and, reliability issues
with the then turbo-engine that was not made for a turbo - not to
mention the looks of plumbing hanging out the back and under the car.

I will be the first to say that the stock D could use some more HP -
but a refined tune on a stock D delivers "ok" performance in my
book. I'm not implying a tune that just throws some new plugs and a
few parts at it; I mean a real technical setup to check spark, fuel
mixture, etc. I believe most owners that want more HP do not really
go to the trouble to get the max from their stock engines.

All that said, I've been searching for a good 4 cylinder turbo that
delivers 200+ hp to toy with on an install into a D with a broken
engine.

Harold McElraft - 3354 (mostly stock engine)

Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 11:00:36 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

Did anyone mentioning a Midwest center consider that Dave Bauerle is in
Columbus
I keep seeing this Midwest need and you have one in Columbus that has been
there for years.

Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 16:20:38 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: High Idle

Are you ABSOLUTELY SURE the throttle plates are closed????? A vacuum
leak is possible but at that speed - unlikely. Have you disconnected
the idle speed motor while the engine is at "idle" to see what
happens?

Harold McElraft - 3354

Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 08:44:11 -0800
From: "Gary Hull" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

> I'm stumped. Car insists on running at 2400-2600 rpm.

If the Idle Speed Screws are all closed, the next thing I would check would
be the Idle Speed Motor.

When my D idled high, I found that the Idle Speed Motor was stuck in the
wide open position.  I used carb cleaner and a screw driver to free it up,
and then sprayed in some lubricant. It has worked great for several years
and several thousand miles.

Gary
IN2TIME

Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 11:34:53 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Woody,
Most of the time the high idle is caused by Vacuum leaks, throttle linkage
not set correct, cable not adjusted properly, fuel mixture set to rich,
vacuum solenoid not set up correctly + more. I know you have done a lot but
it may be just one little thing that was over looked.
I am available 12/7 9am till 9pm
John Hervey
972-564-9321

Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 11:40:52 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

I have mentioned this before. The fuel distributor can be modified to
deliver more fuel under boost. We have done this several times on Porsche
with very good results.