From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2498
Date: Monday, February 28, 2005 4:54 PM

1. Re: delorean turbo question
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

2. Re: delorean turbo question
From: "Dave" <v-davidj_at_dml_microsoft.com>

3. RE: Re: New Pictures of hidden treasures _at_dml_ NBC Universal
From: "Jeff Chabotte" <jchabotte_at_dml_adelphia.net>

4. Custom Headlight Covers (Blackouts) For Sale
From: "Tamir Ardon" <tamir_at_dml_entermyworld.com>

5. High Idle Followup & Thanks
From: Woody <BePositive2000_at_dml_Yahoo.com>

6. French/German Numberplates
From: "jamesrguk" <James_rg_at_dml_hotmail.com>

7. Started my frame-off restoration!
From: dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com

8. Re: delorean turbo question
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

9. Re: delorean turbo question
From: "gullwingmag" <gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

10. Re: Started my frame-off restoration!
From: "erikgeerdink" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Cincinnati Tech Session and Parade - March 11th-13th
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

12. Re: High Idle Followup & Thanks
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

13. RE: delorean turbo question
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

14. Re: Custom Headlight Covers (Blackouts) For Sale
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Re: Started my frame-off restoration!
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

16. Re: delorean turbo question
From: "Michael Townsley" <michaeltownsley_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

17. Re: delorean turbo question
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

18. Early VIN Door Key Replicas!?
From: "dmc3989" <dmc3989_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. RE: Trailer Hitch
From: "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net>

20. RE: RE: Trailer Hitch
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>

21. Re: Re: Custom Headlight Covers (Blackouts) For Sale
From: "Tamir Ardon" <tamir_at_dml_entermyworld.com>

22. RE: Custom Headlight Covers (Blackouts) For Sale
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

23. Re: Early VIN Door Key Replicas!?
From: "Steven L. Alves" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>

24. RE: RE: Trailer Hitch
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

25. window motor installation procedure
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 04:27:59 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: delorean turbo question

It has been tried. The problem with the cold start valve is that it
does not meter fuel very precisely, it does not atomize it well, and
it does not get delivered evenly to all the cylinders. The short
answer is you can do only so much with the K-Jetronic and then you
should think about replacing it with something better if you are not
satisfied with it's performance. It is upgradeable but only to a
point, after that you must go with soemthing else. No you are starting
to understand why Bosch came out with other, more advanced fuel and
engine management systems. K-Jetronic with Lambda was OK for it's time
and the application. It was quickly supersceded by more advanced
systems as the technology improved.

Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 04:34:23 -0000
From: "Dave" <v-davidj_at_dml_microsoft.com>

Hi Darkstar...

Ross Racing custom made the pistons for me (www.rosspistons.com),
those guys are absolutley awesome.  They sent me to another outfit to
have the rods made...I don't recall off hand the name of the
company...I need to go back and look through my docs.

JE Pistons will also custom make some rods for you. They also will
make some pistons for you, however, Ross was much cheaper for the same
product & quality (www.jepistons.com).

Hope this helps!
Dave Jacobs

Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 21:41:03 -0500
From: "Jeff Chabotte" <jchabotte_at_dml_adelphia.net>
Subject: RE: Re: New Pictures of hidden treasures _at_dml_ NBC Universal

My understanding is that it's used in parades around the park and thus,
they blare out the BTTF music from the car.

-Jeff Chabotte

Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 23:12:53 -0800
From: "Tamir Ardon" <tamir_at_dml_entermyworld.com>
Subject: Custom Headlight Covers (Blackouts) For Sale

Dear List,

Yes, the blackout headlight covers that a lot of people are looking for are
hopefully going to be produced with the help of the DeLorean community.

These covers are based off of the popular Lund covers that were discontinued
many years ago.  These covers are very rare to find and I feel there is a
strong enough demand for the covers to try and reproduce them.  I am working
with another DeLorean owner who specializes in plastics to make sure the
covers are of a high quality and finish.  There will be three styles
offered; clear, smoked, and black.

So sign up for a set or two in the Site Shop of my site and let all your
DeLorean friends and local clubs know about this exciting new product coming
to the DeLorean community soon. :)

http://www.entermyworld.com

Right now a pre-order page is up in the Site Store section of my web-site.
We need a pre-order of 250 units to make the tooling costs effective,
so start signing up today!

http://www.entermyworld.com/dshop/index.html

Regards,
Tamir
http://www.entermyworld.com

Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 23:00:59 -0800 (PST)
From: Woody <BePositive2000_at_dml_Yahoo.com>
Subject: High Idle Followup & Thanks

Thanks for all of your responses.

I am inclined to look at the idle motor.  I removed it from my wrecked
car and had a little bit of a problem with high idle on this car, as
well.

Today, I made a few adjustments in fuel enrichment and it didn't have
much effect on idle. If I ran the car lean enough to eliminate the ruch
mixture, the car would not  start afterward.

 I am running more lean now, assuming that turning the CO adjustment
screw counter clockwise will make the car run leaner.

Any more suggestions appreciated.

Woody

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 08:58:05 -0000
From: "jamesrguk" <James_rg_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: French/German Numberplates

Sorry to keep harping on about this, but is there a French or German
owner on this list who could e-mail me the measurements of a
French/German numberplate?

Height and width and does the border surrounding the plate have to
be visible etc...

Please e-mail me off list james(at)newoldbits.co.uk

Regards

James RG

Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 09:14:28 -0000
From: dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com
Subject: Started my frame-off restoration!

Hi lads,

Well, I've started my frame-off restoration of my DeLorean!

After 3 years and 15,000 miles of very happy motoring, I've turned my
car into a pile of parts in my Dads garage...

My brother Maurice and I started working on it Thursday morning, and
had the rolling frame out of the car that afternoon, after getting
delayed with lots of rusty seized bolts, and a fairly rusted and
seized steering shaft. Also, it was pretty time consuming raising the
GRP body up with concrete blocks, but we were very happy to have the
frame separated that day.

Then on Friday morning, we started to strip the frame down, and got
everything of the frame except for the suspension, which we completed
on Saturday morning. We then powerwashed the frame, and inspected it
for rust damage, which thankfully is not bad overall. 90% of the
frame is in like new condition, but there is a bad area under the
front crossmember which will need to be cut out and replaced, some
minor surface rust in the fuel tank area (drivers side), and some
more rust on the lower side of where the front frame extension meets
the front crossmember, which will also need some new metal welded in.

Other problems we found during the stripdown include a bad passenger
side lower ball joint, a bushing missing on the gear linkage, the
drivers side rear hub was loose (glad I found that one out!), and a
few other things.

One of the most surprising parts of the teardown was to find of the
12 bolts securing the body to the frame, only 2 were actually
tight!!! The 2 bolts that go thru the saftey belt thingy were very
tight, but the rest were barely hand tight. These bolts could be
tightened in 5 minutes, so I'd definitely recommend everyone has a
look at theirs also, it would probably get rid of any creaking noises
you get when driving. I feel silly for not having checked mine before
now!

So, at the moment, I have a thing that looks like a DeLorean hovering
a foot off the ground at the back of the house, and the garage is
full of parts like the engine/transmission, fuel tank, suspension,
etc, and of course the frame. My Dad is not too impressed with what
I've done to his garage!

My Dad is not a car guy, and he thinks I've lost my mind doing this
to a car that appeared to be in perfect condition from the outside!
He came outside at one point when we were stripping the frame down,
shook his head and told us that in the 60 years he's been around,
this is the craziest thing he has ever seen anyone do!

Back when I was about 7 or 8, my Dad came home one day to find I had
taken the TV and radio completely apart and arranged the pieces all
over the living room floor, (never did get it back together, they are
still in the attic in pieces), so he is a bit concerned now that his
garage is going to look like a junk yard permanently!

Anyway, the next step will be to get the welding done, then get the
frame acid dipped and sandblasted, hot-dipped galvanised, and
powdercoated. I'm not going to get the original matte gray color on
the frame, I'm going to powdercoat it a very bright metallic Silver,
to give it more of a Stainless Steel look. I'll powdercoat the
suspension arms the stock black color...

Then, I'll go shopping - the list will include Toby's polyurethane
bushings kit and strengthened brackets for the front sway bar, new
upper and lower ball joints from DMCH, the front end recall kit,
stainless steel braided brake hoses, and anything else that I find
needs to be done.

I took about 150 pictures so far, and will upload them to the website
in the coming few days, and will let you all know.

Any suggestions/comments/questions welcome!

Also, any advice on how I'll ever get this damn thing back
together?!!!

Thanks,
John Dore, Ireland.
Vin 3810
http://www.delorean.ie

Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 07:09:17 -0600
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Bacause the cold start valve injects fuel very inefficiently for even
distribution to all cylinders. Some cylinders will run lean while others
will run rich. It is OK to get the motor running but it is not a safe or
effective way to enrich the mixture under boost.

-Joe Kuchan

Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:50:29 -0000
From: "gullwingmag" <gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

This brings up a question I've been wondering about.  Why does the
Island Twin Turbo continue to be advertised in DW Magazine but is not
available.  Ive contacted them a couple of times since 1999 and am
told they are working on finding another turbo for their
application.  Ive even been sent a whole packet on the setup, but why
advertise (for such a long time) something you cant supply?

Ron

...At this time I do not know if there are ANY turbo packages still
available new. Island Turbo does not have any new kits to sell at
this time...

Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 16:55:12 -0000
From: "erikgeerdink" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Started my frame-off restoration!

John,
we will have to compare notes.  I'll be trailering my Delorean down
to Ohio in 2 weeks to start the frame restore on my car.  Fortunately
I have a great condition frame waiting for me.  We are looking at
getting this restoration done in 3 long weekends.....i'm keeping my
fingers crossed.

Erik
04512

Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 11:59:33 -0500
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>
Subject: Cincinnati Tech Session and Parade - March 11th-13th

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to write and update everyone on what promises to be a
fantastic tech session and St. Patty's day parade event coming up in
Cincinnati the weekend after next! (March 11th-13th)

For those who haven't heard, we are going to help Erik Geerdink replace
his frame at Ken Koncelik's new warehouse.  A great opportunity to see
what goes into building one of these cars.  We will also be covering the
event for our next issue of DCS magazine, so you have an opportunity to
become famous by attending!  Maybe you can even be our next centerfold!

There is enough indoor parking for our entire group there, (Ken could do
a DeLorean Car Show inside this building if he wanted to!) so we'll be
having fun rain or shine!  Food and beer, as well as non-alcoholic
drinks will be provided, as will the usual access to my stock of
DeLorean parts.  So far, with those planning to attend, that we've heard
from, we have these states represented:

Ohio - 9-10
Michigan - 3
Tennessee - 1
Pennsylvania - 1
New Jersey - 2

If you would like to attend, there is no charge for the tech session.
Contact me privately via e-mail, and I will provide you with the address
and directions. (jhaldeman(AT)fuse.net)  We will be starting early
Friday in order to get as much done as we can on Erik's car.  Feel free
to come early if you can get off work!

On Sunday the 13th, we will be participating in the annual Cincinnati
St. Patricks Day parade.  Last year we had 6 cars there, and it gets
bigger and better every year!  There is a $15 registration fee for
participating in this parade, payable upon arrival.  Definitely worth
the money, as those who attended in the past can confirm.  This is one
of the largest St. Patty's day parades in the whole country...and we're
always an important part of it.  In addition, we have a connection that
works for the local CBS affiliate, and has promised to send a crew to
cover our participation...so yet another opportunity to be "seen" in
your DeLorean and show off what a truly great community we DeLorean
enthusiasts share!

If anyone has any questions, comments or suggestions, please write to me
at the e-mail address listed above.

Thanks,
Josh

Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 17:02:35 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: High Idle Followup & Thanks

It is also possible the black box that runs the idle motor (the idle
computer aka idle ECU) is bad. It does fail (not often) and will leave
the idle stuck in a high speed. You cannot blame the idle motor, it is
only doing what the idle ECU is commanding. The "best" way to
determine is to temporaraly substitute a known, good, idle ECU with a
known, good idle motor.

Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 11:15:12 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Thanks Joe for stating that. The fuel distributor modification will
distribute the fuel evenly.

Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 19:31:36 -0000
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Custom Headlight Covers (Blackouts) For Sale

Hey Tamir,

I would definitely love a pair but my question is, do you have
pictures of all 3?  I checked the website and so far it looks as if
only the blacked out ones are up.  I'm curious about smokey or
whether to go all black or if there is a huge difference.

Thanks,

Brandon
Vin 3323

Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 17:37:30 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

John - Be careful with the hot-dip galvanizing.  The temps are high
enough that the frame can warp.

-------------- Original message from dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com: --------------

Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 17:15:30 -0000
From: "Michael Townsley" <michaeltownsley_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

I have an orginal Island Turbo set up i.e. no Cats or pressure
switches, etc,...and when I inquired to them about finding someone
who could check out the system for me...I got the same packet...but
no solid lead on who could service the set-up. I still have no idea
if they are working properly or not...the car does run though.

Since there seems to be several Island Systems around...it could be
worthwhile for someone to take them on... provide service and sell
new systems or replacement parts...unless these sytems are/were so
bad and create other problems as has been discussed here...we should
all convert back to the orginal factory set up if the parts are
available at a reasonable cost.

Mike Townsley
--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "gullwingmag" <gullwing-

Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 19:36:36 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

I can only guess (but it is an educated guess) that there is a
long-term advertising agreement with a significant discount. Island
Turbo is a long-time advertiser and has been with the DOA since near
the beginning. This also tends to answer the question why there seems
to be more turbo set-ups in the Midwest and Western part of the US.
Don Steiger claims to have done over 400 installs. I do not know if
they are all Island kits or if he does any of his own set-ups. In any
case he is probably the biggest user of the Island kits and certainly
seems to have the most experience with turbos. I would say he and Fred
Dellis are probably the closest thing we have to experts on turbos. As
for availability of the Island kits, I spoke to Eleanor recently and
she has to have new pattterns made for the castings. She anticipates
future shipments later in the year. It is also getting harder and
harder to get the IHI turbos. They are getting scarce and expensive. I
think she is looking for an alternate.

Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:00:30 -0000
From: "dmc3989" <dmc3989_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Early VIN Door Key Replicas!?

Hello-
Does anyone have any idea where I can find a replica of the the
original door key for the early VIN Deloreans with the push button
light!? Ive searched all the usual part retailers but everyone tells
me they arent available anymore. Thanks for your input.

Josh

Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 16:30:27 -0500
From: "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net>
Subject: RE: Trailer Hitch

Has anyone put a trailer hitch on their DMC?  If so, is there a standard
part number that can be ordered somewhere.  I want to tow a light item
to a series of trade shows.

Jack.
10002, 20069

Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:48:00 -0600
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>
Subject: RE: RE: Trailer Hitch

Jack,

Call Houston.

At one time they had some for sale.

Scott Mueller 002981

Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 13:48:01 -0800
From: "Tamir Ardon" <tamir_at_dml_entermyworld.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Custom Headlight Covers (Blackouts) For Sale

Brandon and others,

I will try and get pictures of all three covers on the site shortly.  The
clear covers are obviously clear with the rubber stripping around the edge.
The smoked is a more bronzish looking cover where you can see the headlights
through the cover during the day and are better at night use than the black
covers.  The black covers are very dark and black, and you can't see the
headlights during the day and they are unusable at night.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Tamir
http://www.entermyworld.com

Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 16:15:11 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Tamir, I am glad that you are doing this.
The DeLorean community needs more motivated guys like you to bring us these
cool accessories and I hope that people order them.
I assume that there will be vacuum formed plastics?
Might I suggest an idea that I thought would look cool?
Use the clear, and use mirror tint on the inside so that they appear to be
chrome
or silver, but the light shines through.
Just an idea that I think would look cool.
You might want to take a poll as to what styles people prefer.
Cool.
- VB

Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 17:04:19 -0500
From: "Steven L. Alves" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>
Subject: Re: Early VIN Door Key Replicas!?

I will add to that question. Are there any parts available for the lit keys
if you already have one?

Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 16:20:30 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

DMCH has one that they sell, you might check thier site or call them.
I was going to buy one but it would not match up well with my custom
exhaust.
I thought it was strange that used a 2" reciever on it, since that is way
passed the
capacity it would ever need.
I would have used a much smaller and less noticable one....

Hey, Ron?
You out there?
What did you use for the hitch on the Yellow D?
- VB

Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 17:27:21 -0500
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: window motor installation procedure

I am finally replacing my window motors. Anyone have a writen procedure on
which attachment point you use for the heavy duty but different motors that
we are using now or better yet pictures?
I litterally bought mine 7 years ago and can not find the instructions if I
received any.

I searched the archives and all the sites and could not find any!
I have it installed but have waited to bolt on the motor in case there is
someone who has been down this rode and if there are potholes I miss the
ones you have stepped in.

Thanks in advance,

Cecil Longwisch