From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2499
Date: Monday, February 28, 2005 9:45 PM

1. RE: Re: delorean turbo repair
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>

2. Re: Started my frame-off restoration!
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

3. Re: RE: Trailer Hitch
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Re: Early VIN Door Key Replicas!?
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Re: window motor installation procedure
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

6. Re: Custom Headlight Covers (Blackouts) For Sale
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. DMC (Florida)
From: "Tony" <DMCPROTO1_at_dml_aol.com>

8. Re: RE: Trailer Hitch
From: "gullwingmag" <gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

9. Re: Started my frame-off restoration!
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

10. Re: High Idle Followup & Thanks
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 17:19:12 -0500
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: RE: Re: delorean turbo repair

I am pretty confident that Don Steger and also Bauerle Auto both still
service the twin turbo setups.
I have spoken with the lady at Island in the last week and she is in the
semi retirement mode.
You can still get parts from her if you can catch her at home. I am getting
the pipes I need from her but I can tell you it took persistence to get her
on the phone.

The turbos they offer are 20 year old technology and just need to be updated
to the newer ones available. (Ball bearing and water cooled) Too bad we
can't take advantage of all the fuel and spark systems that are available
for the "Fast and Furious"  rockets now without changing  everything.
With the 6-$7000 price tag it is understandable why the Island setups are
not selling considering the other mods available to you for that spend.

Cecil Longwisch
#10663

Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 22:59:36 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Started my frame-off restoration!

John,

You may want to re-consider a few of the things you mentioned
regarding the stripping and refurbishing of your frame.

Acid dipping - to do this in such a way as to remove the epoxy
and not damage the mild steel underneath, you may have your
frame in a solution for several YEARS.  This was done by a
member of the Mid-States Delorean club and he had his frame
at Redi-Strip for a few years at the bottom of one of the big
tanks.  They would check it, early on, every few days, then
weeks, then months.  Of course, the loose epoxy came off right
away, but the stuff that was stuck good was STUCK REAL GOOD.

Sand blasting - you need to be careful with the type of media
used, especially if you were considering stripping the entire
frame.  Again, where the epoxy is still stuck good, you will
really need to work at these areas to remove the epoxy, but
care must be taken not to accidently remove adjacent good steel
with a media that is too abrasive.

Hot dipped galvanizing - not only can the heat from this process
warp your frame, but plan to re-tap every bolt location on the
frame after the galvanizing process, to clean out the threads.
Again, this has been done before and takes a lot of extra time.

Since you said that your frame is 90% in good or very good shape,
you may want to do spot repairs, POR15, prime the entire frame
and then paint the entire frame the desired color.  Otherwise,
your dad may not get his garage back for a long, long time.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, dmcjohn_at_dml_h... wrote:

> Hi lads,
>
> snip <
>
> Anyway, the next step will be to get the welding done, then get the
> frame acid dipped and sandblasted, hot-dipped galvanised, and
> powdercoated. I'm not going to get the original matte gray color on
> the frame, I'm going to powdercoat it a very bright metallic
Silver,

Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:42:29 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: RE: Trailer Hitch

I have seen them..  I think they are specific to
DeLorean, someone used to make them.  I think DeLorean
One maybe??

Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 00:27:45 -0000
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Early VIN Door Key Replicas!?

Hey Guys,

I have an original Delorean key with the light bulb in it.
Everything is connected but the bulb is blown.  I've taken it apart
and have studied it's design.  Not really much but a shaped piece of
metal soldered to a small bulb.  Once the battery touches the metal,
the bulb turns on.  I'm going to try resoldering a small bulb and try
running some tests.  If possible, I'd really like to recreate one
using Stainless Steel.  The only problem with the Delorean key is
that it is bulky and awkward and feels quite funny in your pants.
Not sure if you wanted to know that much...

Thanks,

Brandon N.
Vin 3323

Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 23:50:15 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com
Subject: Re: window motor installation procedure

Cecil - I have a PowerPoint slide that shows the installation
options.  If you would like a .pdf version of the slide, email me off-
list and I will send it to you.  This assumes that the window motors
that you bought 7 years ago are the same as those being sold today.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_m...>
wrote:

> I am finally replacing my window motors. Anyone have a writen
procedure on which attachment point you use for the heavy duty but
different motors that we are using now or better yet pictures? I
litterally bought mine 7 years ago and can not find the instructions
if I received any.

Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 00:32:51 -0000
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Custom Headlight Covers (Blackouts) For Sale

Hey Tamir,

Thanks for the quick response!  I'd have to say I agree with VB.  Is
the mirror option even an option with the guys you are going
through?  Thanks by the way for doing this, I was actually looking
into it before you brought it up since I have some old D magazines
that feature companies with front and back covers.  If the black
doesn't work at night, it'd probably be easier to stick with clear,
brownish, and the mirror tint.

Thanks again,

Brandon

Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 00:47:52 -0000
From: "Tony" <DMCPROTO1_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: DMC (Florida)

Hi all,

I have been asked if my venture with DMC (Texas) has anything to do with
"The Jag Shop" or if David is working over here. This shop has nothing to do
with David or The Jag Shop what so ever. The reputation of this shop is all on
me and my insanity for detail that I know you will all appreciate.

Sincerly,
Tony Ierardi

Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 00:49:59 -0000
From: "gullwingmag" <gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

The hitch many of you have seen on the Yellow D was made by Rich
Weissensel and company.  You might want to check with him and see if
he is going to make any more.

I was going to buy the hitch from DMC Houston but I was told there
was a liability issue.  Check with Houston anyway, maybe its not an
issue now.

Ron

Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 01:24:07 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Another big problem with hot-dip galvanizing is that you will trap a
lot of zinc in many hidden places in the car. This will add a lot of
weight. You will never get all the epoxy off unless you put the frame
in a barnfire. Epoxy is very tough to get off. If the majority of the
frame is in decent shape local repairs are the way to go. You may also
have trouble finding someone in your area with a tank large enough to
do your frame, it is quite large for most places. Powder coating is
probably a good alternative now to epoxy and galvanizing.

Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 02:19:43 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: High Idle Followup & Thanks

In the interim Woody could idle his engine manually. I know this is
not a popular option in the DeLorean community, but it's a perfectly
valid use of the brass screws already in place. FWIW: A/C compressor
load doesn't seem to be an issue -- never needed the aux air valve for
it when I ran my K Jetronic manually, and I've never added an A/C
solenoid to my current carb. Warm up is the only difficult time.
Throttle plates/deceleration valves will of course need to close
properly (unless he decides to idle his engine by cracking them in
lieu of brass screws).

Don't think vacuum leaks are Woody's problem. Usually those cause
decreased or erratic idle speed from unmetered air, unless mixture is
cranked way up to compensate (which then kills fuel economy on the road).