From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2516
Date: Saturday, March 12, 2005 7:23 PM

1. Re: transmission
From: "istewart88" <istewart88_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Re: Retrofitting Throttle Enrichment Circuit
From: "endotex23" <endotex23_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: April 30 show in Floridia..
From: "jeff512tr" <cingular512_at_dml_comcast.net>

4. Re: Getting Ready to Buy
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

5. Re: Removing the sacrilage from my Delorean.
From: "deer_hunter1971" <deer_hunter1971_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Re: Fuel System Advice
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

7. Re: Turbo PRV.
From: "endotex23" <endotex23_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. transmission.
From: "rodrael1" <rodrael1_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Re: Turbo PRV.
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

10. Re: Chicago St. Pat's Day Parade today
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

11. Re: Getting Ready to Buy
From: "sandorp1" <piszar_at_dml_comcast.net>

12. Frame Removal Progress
From: "erikgeerdink" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Re: delorean brake pads - rear and front
From: Daniel Plakosh <dplakosh2_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 02:39:52 -0000
From: "istewart88" <istewart88_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: transmission

If nobody minds me interjecting, I'd like to know what the estimated maximum power that
the stock DeLorean 5-speed can handle. I've been researching the 3.0L PRV from the Eagle
Premier/Dodge Monaco, as well as John Lane's setup in his Volvo, and before I buy my
DeLorean I'd like to know as much as I can about performance options which would leave
the car reasonably stock.

Also, Robert, what are the mods you're referring to? I certainly don't plan on driving as you
describe, but if I need a stronger tranny it'd be helpful to know all this stuff beforehand.

Thanks,
Ian

Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 03:39:21 -0000
From: "endotex23" <endotex23_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Retrofitting Throttle Enrichment Circuit

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Rick" <rdevaux_at_dml_t...> wrote:

> I'm looking to retrofit a throttle enrichment circuit onto my PRV.
> Does anyone have a schematic of the components and connections?
> Thanks

Sorry Rick, I missed this. Plus I've been out of town. This could be
useful to Jim Reeves too, whose post I also missed until now.

Pulling pin 11 (currently unused) low on the stock lambda controller
will set a fixed FV cycle for nearly maximum enrichment. It can be
further combined with the WOT input (the pin current number currently
escapes me at the moment) to gain even more. You can easily use this
pin for accel enrichment via a differential pressure switch measuring
intake tract vacuum and venting through a calibrated orifice. Volvo
later went this route and it beats using the CPR any day. With a bit
more hardware you can also do electronic warm up enrichment and the
CPR can be removed.

For accel enrichment it works well but note using it will result in
surpressing the lambda loop and result in a fixed output. If you want
to use it for closed loop or warm up you'll need a seperate control
element for PWM, then you can control lambda at any point you desire
as long as you have a wide band O2S. If you go that far you might as
well use the controller to do all three functions. Contact me if you
need part numbers or more help.

Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 04:02:04 -0000
From: "jeff512tr" <cingular512_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: April 30 show in Floridia..

Hello!
My name is Jeff Ippoliti, I am the event chairman for this show and
also a fellow DeLorean owner (#20022). While our DeLoreans may not be
the most expensive cars at the show, they certainly attracted a huge
amount of attention last year. With 13 DeLoreans lined up, the
10,000+ spectators at the event loved it! Many people commented to me
afterwards that the "long line up of DeLoreans" was their "favorite
part" of the show!
The dinner itself is optional, and so is the black tie. This entire
event is help to raise money for Make-A-Wish and Give Kids The World.
We found it was easier to attract corporate sponsors and donations if
the words "black tie" appeared, but the reality is that a jacket, or
open shirt, or whatever you are comfortable in is more than welcome!
We are there to have fun, and last years party and dancing went well
into the morning hours! It was anything but stuffy!
The DeLoreans were a huge hit with the crowd last year, and we hope
to have at least 20 Deloreans this year. (Take a look at the photo I
posted of last years event.) It is a great location for a show. Rob
Grady is the DeLorean judge again, and we give multiple tropies in
this class. Rob is also giving a free tech session to all DeLorean
owners registered for the event.
The concours entry fee is $50.00, which is donated entirely to
charity. I hope many of you will bring out your D's and join us, have
a great time, and help these children that are so desparately in need.
Hope to see you there!
Jeff Ippoliti
#20022
www.celebrationexoticcars.com

Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 04:09:55 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Getting Ready to Buy

To find out what insurance will cost you can just call up some
insurance companies and get a quote over the phone. Two of the largest
and most popular are A.C. Taylor and Hagerty. This is assuming you are
going to go for the limited, collector type insurance. Typically you
must not use the car as a daily driver and less than 2,500 miles a
year. Titles are issued by State motor vehicle agencies. If you buy a
car out-of-state you must apply for a title in the state you will
register the car in. To do that you MUST have a "clean" title from the
previous owner and a bill-of-sale. Driving your new purchase home is a
real gamble. If you get stuck the tow will cost a whole lot more than
if you just have the car shipped. Maybe rent a trailer and trailer it
home? You might consider getting someone familiar with Deloreans to
look the car over for you before you buy it. Maybe you can find
someone nearby where the car is to meet you and help you. Get in touch
with any owners nearby, you are going to meet them soon anyway! As
soon as they hear about a new Delorean in the area they will look for
you! You might also consider just gettng the car over to a Delorean
vendor and have it gone over so you know it will not get you stuck. It
depends a lot on how handy you are and how much you are willing to do
yourself. In any case Good Luck.

Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 04:13:28 -0000
From: "deer_hunter1971" <deer_hunter1971_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Removing the sacrilage from my Delorean.

Aircraft Stripper is a great chemical stripper, there is also Captain
Lee's (I've never used it, but I hear it's good). You'll want to use
bondo spreaders to remove the paint that peels up, and be sure to
wear coveralls, or clothes you don't mind getting all messed up,
because you're bound to get them that way. I stripped a 1968 AMX with
Aircraft Stripper, and it only took a few hours to strip the whole
car. You'll want to work in a very well ventilated area, and maybe
wear a respirator as well (while using the Aircraft Stripper), if
not, you can be overcome by the fumes. After stripping the big
patches of paint off, then use the small scrapers and razor blades in
the "hard to reach areas". As it was posted before, don't get the
stripper on the rubber/plastic parts, it will eat them up. To regrain
your stainless, you'll want a sandpaper "flapper" wheel. They're
available in hardware stores, and you'll also want a variable speed
drill to use it with.     Hope this helps.

Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 04:24:45 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel System Advice

A lot depends on how bad the fuel tank is. If it is all gunked up you
can assume the rest of the system is probably at least as bad. If it
turns out to be relatively clean inside you could take a chance and
try the system out. You will eventually have the fuel injectors
cleaned, new fuel filter, and possably the accumulater. Some cars that
are stored for 5 years are in worse condition than some stored 15. A
lot depends on if there was fuel left in it, the temperatures, if it
was stored inside or outside, etc. Other areas of concern are the
brake and clutch systems, battery, and electrical. Figure on
rebuilding the brake system, clutch system, new battery, and cleaning
a lot of electrical connections. Drain and replace ALL fluids, wiper
blades, coolant hoses, and a complete tune-up. Getting a car that has
not been used for many years will cost, parts only, over $5,000. Don't
forget tires, frame rot, headliners, bulbs, struts, and a zillion
other little things. They may not all go bad at once but as you use
the car they will seem to all age and die at an accelerated rate. It
is like old age is catching up with it. It will take a while to work
all the kinks out of it. There will be times it will seem you won't
get ahead of all of the problems. Be persistant and fix them one at a
time and eventually you will get ahead of them. It won't be cheap and
it won't happen quickly. Point is the fuel system is only one of the
things you have to worry about.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_r...> wrote:

> It looks like a may be purchasing a Delorean that has been used on a
very minimal basis over the past 10-15 years (as noticed with the 1992
inspection sticker).  The biggest concern I have (of many) is the
condition of the fuel system.  I plan to completely update the tank,
new pump, boots, filters, baffle update, new rubber feed/return hoses i

Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 04:41:11 -0000
From: "endotex23" <endotex23_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Turbo PRV.

Hmmm...a bit of confusion here, mostly about nomenclature. Skipping
wastegate theory (after all, most turbo setups have 'em) a few
corrections:

A pop off/dump valve a not technically a BOV (in the USA at least).
One is a simple spring loaded safety for overboost while the other is
used to avoid compressor surge. BOVs typically vent to the ambient
while the recirc type mentioned is correctly called a compressor
bypass valve (CBV) and dumps to the inlet side of the compressor. BOVs
are usually closed at less than atmospheric pressure and during boost
but open momentarily upon throttle lift, while a CBV is open below
atmospheric and closes at atmospheric and above. Put another way, a
CBV continuously returns some air back to the inlet when the engine is
not being boosted.

As stated by others, BOVs and CBVs are used to prevent compressor
surge and keep the turbo spooled on throttle lift, mainly for shifts.
I personally feel CBVs do a better job of this because they equalize
the delta P across the compressor in a smoother fashion.

There is another reason you'll see a CBV on some cars. Martin
mentioned a BOV shouldn't be used on a mass flow metered system while
a CBV can be used in either a mass flow or manifold absolute pressure
design. He's right. A CBV should be used in a mass airflow system
because any boost dumped to ambient by a BOV has already been metered
and will result in an enrichment spike by the PCU. On the other hand
MAP sensors are usually located in the intake plenum and don't care
about dumped boost, they meter based on pressure in the intake tract
downstream of the throttle plates.

If turbos are placed upstream of the throttle plates on a K Jet a CBV
should be used for the same reason: dumped boost has already been
metered by the airflow plate but never made it into the engine. The
result is an enrichment spike during throttle lift that goes right out
the taiplipe. This is not only wasteful and hurts performance but
if you have a leaky exhaust system can result in annoying afterfire.

Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 04:52:05 -0000
From: "rodrael1" <rodrael1_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: transmission.

I am wanting to know the name of manufacturer of transmission along
with the model etc.

thanks again.

Rodney

Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 05:43:32 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

Okay so now that the talk of turbos has been thrown around the list
for a while-I'm pretty interested. Can anyone recommend a what brand
turbos are the best for the PRV, any model numbers-brands, what
additional parts are needed/recommended, etc. If anyone could give me
any information at all I'd appreciate it (on or off list). I already
know I should change my pistons and the like, but I don't know
EVERYTHING there is to know about turbos-thats where I hope some help
from you guys comes in. Thanks guys----Dani B. #5003

Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 12:42:04 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Chicago St. Pat's Day Parade today

After typical week of pre-Spring Chicago weather of 65 degrees
last Sunday to on and off snow the last three days, it looks
like the skies will be clear and cold for the Chicago St. Pat's
Day parade today, Saturday, March 12, 2005 from 12pm to 3pm.

WGN TV Ch. 9 (Chicago) will have TV coverage from 12pm to 2pm,
but do not look for Deloreans until the end of the TV coverage.
The Delorean Midwest Connection club will probably be out in a
little less than full strength due to the weather the past few
days and today's single digit wind chill temperatures, possibly
getting up to near freezing by parade time.

If you cannot make it to the parade, try to tune in to WGN TV
on your cable or satellite service sometime before 2pm Central.

Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 13:02:01 -0000
From: "sandorp1" <piszar_at_dml_comcast.net>

Paul,

Congrats on your decision to buy, I just took the plunge myself a few
months ago and had many of the same questions you did.  You are going
to love owning a Delorean!!!

I don't know specifically about the insurance situation in MA, but
when I checked with my current carrier they didn't even want to
ensure the car because it was "exotic".  If a regular carrier is
willing to ensure, then you run into the problem of value.  They will
most likely not value the car at its actual worth, and if something
were to happen you probably won't get enough $$$.  Or if it is just
an accident, they may require you to go to their shop of choosing for
repairs and the shop will be clueless as to how to repair a
Delorean.  After some research, I went with Haggerty Insurance

http://www.hagerty.com/vehicle_quote.asp

They were HIGHLY affordable (much less than with a regular carrier),
don't have mileage restrictions, let you get the car repaired at the
shop of your choosing (i.e. one of the Delorean vendors) and the
replacement cost is what you decide it to be when you set up the
policy.  It was a no-brainer going with them.

The title will be no big deal, the DMV will handle that when you are
setting up plates for the car.

Regarding transporting the car, driving several hundred miles on your
personal maiden voyage is probably not the best way to go.  Your
shake down drive should be close to home; if something were to go
wrong you aren't going to be stranded hundreds of miles away from
your garage.  Yes, you pay a little more to have it transported but
in the grand scheme of things and considering the $$$ you are already
paying for the car, it is really the best way to go.  I bought my car
from DMCH and definitely didn't want to drive all the way back to MI
in the winter, so I used a transport company.  I selected Reliable
Carriers

http://www.reliable-carriers.com/

I work for General Motors and we use Reliable for transporting our
show vehciles, concept cars and GM Heritage Collection vehicles and
they have been, excuse the pun, reliable.  If they are good enough to
transport millions of dollars worth of GM assets, they were good
enough for me.  They did a great job and were right on time.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitiate to send me an
email directly.

piszar_at_dml_comcast.net

Sandor
# 3002

Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 13:48:16 -0000
From: "erikgeerdink" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Frame Removal Progress

Well, day two starts today.  Last night we got the car almost ready
to split apart.  I had to cut a couple of bolts behind the seatbelt
bolts, the two holding the cross member in the engine compartment,
and those rusty bolts holding the trailing arm shields on.  Guess
I'll be getting those replacements from Grady.
Today all (i say that with a smerk) we have to do is disconnect the
AC and she should be ready to seperate.
I have a ton of pics of the process so far and am looking forward to
seeing her in two pieces.

Erik

Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 05:52:24 -0800 (PST)
From: Daniel Plakosh <dplakosh2_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: delorean brake pads - rear and front

Hi,

If you have not sold the brake pads please let me know as I will purchase them from you.

Best regards,

Dan

smileksr <michaelbarth_at_dml_hotmail.com> wrote:
Hi,
I recently sold my Delorean #6583 on ebay....Anyway, I'm stuck with a brand new complete set of brake pads (front and rear only, no parking brake pads)