From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2522
Date: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 9:42 PM

1. "DeLorean" documentary on Trio
From: Travis Graham <tgraham_at_dml_noroads.com>

2. Johnny Carson Car Update
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

3. RE: Re: DMC Delorean Headlight Covers NOW AVAILABLE
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

4. Re: Re: DMC Delorean Headlight Covers NOW AVAILABLE
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>

5. Re: DMC Delorean Headlight Covers Now 119.99
From: "silverdelorean2002" <jon_at_dml_jonbrodi.com>

6. Re: Re: Couple Questions- Coolant System & Idle
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

7. Re: Original keyblank needed
From: mroboto_at_dml_aol.com

8. help! newbie getting horrible gas mileage
From: "Christian_Witt" <christian_witt_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. RE: "DeLorean" documentary on Trio
From: "Michael Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>

10. Re: Couple Questions- Coolant System & Idle
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

11. RE: help! newbie getting horrible gas mileage
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

12. Torsion bar torque
From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>

13. Re: help! newbie getting horrible gas mileage
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

14. Re: help! newbie getting horrible gas mileage
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

15. Re: Re: DMC Delorean Headlight Covers NOW AVAILABLE
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

16. Re: help! newbie getting horrible gas mileage
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

17. SEDOC
From: "delor_01" <JOHN.JORDAN_at_dml_ED.GOV>

18. Re: More on Headlights...
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

19. RE: Johnny Carson Car Update
From: "Randal Atamaniuk" <martydmc12_at_dml_nucleus.com>

20. Johnny Carson Car update (the press release)
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

21. Re: Torsion bar torque
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>

22. Re: Couple Questions- Coolant System & Idle
From: "endotex23" <endotex23_at_dml_yahoo.com>

23. Help
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

24. Engine Support Questions
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 22:48:23 -0600
From: Travis Graham <tgraham_at_dml_noroads.com>
Subject: "DeLorean" documentary on Trio

I've heard absolutely nothing on the DML about this, but maybe I'm just
missing something.

Did anyone happen to catch the documentary "DeLorean" on Trio?  If so,
please fill us in!  Is it something new/original?  Trio is apparently a
new television channel, which is news to me - I had no idea it existed
and the lame local cable provider here doesn't carry it yet (sounds
like enough of an excuse to get satellite).  But, Trio's listing for
today shows that they have a documentary titled "DeLorean" on at 10 PM
and 1 AM Eastern.

http://www.triotv.com/schedules/sched.php3?sdate=03/15/2005

I know that Trio is, at least, available on DirecTV and from the cable
provider in Houston, TX.  I'm sure it's in other bigger markets as
well.

Happy motoring,

Travis Graham

Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 23:41:42 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Johnny Carson Car Update

With all the speculation of the Johnny Carson car being for sale I thought
that I would call the owner.

He was surprised we are all talking about it since they just decided to  look
into selling the car and have not announced it yet.

The old curator at the museum started a classic cars for sale business and
the owner of the car decided to let him try to sell the car.

While it has not officially been offered he did say if someone came up with
an offer he would consider it.

We also invited him to Chicago and if he still has the car he is  considering
bringing it to the show if it does not sell.

The big question is why doesn't he sell it to Jay Leno.

The contact has been made and so far no response from Jay.

I will keep you posted he will keep me up to date on the sale or attempt to
sell the car.

If anyone wants to buy the car you can contact me privately and I will get
you together with Carry.

Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 00:29:12 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: DMC Delorean Headlight Covers NOW AVAILABLE

My bet is that it is vacuumed formed tinted lexan, cut to shape.
Am I right?
- VB

>From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>
>To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>Subject: [DML] Re: DMC Delorean  Headlight Covers NOW AVAILABLE
>Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 18:07:02 -0000
>

>I have a concern about the smoked covers. They have to cut down the
>light output significantly, don't they?
>
>I'd be interested in buying a set, but only if they transmit 100% of
>my light. Is this like a special one way material, or is it just
>smoked plastic? If it's the latter, it sounds like a safety problem to me.
>
>-Ryan

[very long quote trimmed by moderator]

Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 23:02:41 -0500
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>

The smoked headlight covers are for aesthetics, not for protection of a $10.00 headlight. I've had the Lunds for over 8 years and they make the car look different which is what I am after. Never an issue with them coming off at any speed.
You must take them off at night, they are illegal to use at night and dangerous as they block most of the light. I don't think you would want to run with the lights on covered anyway since the fascia is so prone to eyebrow. There are differing opinions on the cause of the eyebrow but why risk it.

I am looking forward to seeing these in person for the fit and finish and also the different attachment mechanism.

Cecil Longwisch

Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 08:18:51 -0000
From: "silverdelorean2002" <jon_at_dml_jonbrodi.com>
Subject: Re: DMC Delorean Headlight Covers Now 119.99

To answer all some questions. Yes the Tinted ones will block light
and intended for daytime use. The clear ones however transmit light
perfectly. They are available in Clear and Smoked. They finish off
the fascia real nice. Instead of a big gap in the headlight area,
its alot more flush. Looks alot nicer. Price are 119.99.  Get them
while there here. These dont last long. heres a link again.

ViewItem&item=4535846279

Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 09:19:07 +0100 (MET)
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: Re: Re: Couple Questions- Coolant System & Idle

Harold,

you are right up to one point - the idle speed motor is not too slow -
instead it is too fast. The engine can't follow the reaction of the
idle motor, especially when it's cold and the mixture is set rich.
You can try it yourself while playing with the throttle spool on the
just started cold engine. Open and close it fast (let's say within a second)
and watch the reaction of the engine.
Do the same test a few minutes later when it has warmed up a bit and you
will see, the engine reacts faster on changes of the throttle.

There are basic rules about control loops. With the wrong setup,
the control loop becomes an oszillator - and this is exactly what
we have.

Elvis & 6548 - soon back on the road

--
SMS bei wichtigen e-mails und Ihre Gedanken sind frei ...
Alle Infos zur SMS-Benachrichtigung: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/sms

Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 05:01:24 EST
From: mroboto_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Original keyblank needed

James Espy Wrote:
> "I'll even go so far
> to say that if you buy one of our repro key blanks, and your dog DOES
> chew it up, I'll replace it for free. :-)"

James,
My dog chewed up my left front fender, would you mind sending a free
replacement?

Daniel Deutsch (Orlando)
3356 & 15779

Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 04:58:16 -0000
From: "Christian_Witt" <christian_witt_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: help! newbie getting horrible gas mileage

proud owner for the last 4 months, but i get terrible gas mileage...

Tires are inflated, air filter, good... i only use the best gas
available...

On a good week with mostly freeway i get 15-16mpg, on a bad week,
it's as low as 10-12mpg.

I have a manual transmission, and the car only has 17K original
miles.

Help!  I don't want to have to sell it :)

Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 08:25:10 -0500
From: "Michael Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: RE: "DeLorean" documentary on Trio

I believe this is the DA Pennebaker documentary that was created while
the company was still in business.  About a year ago they were offering
a DeLorean in a sweepstake contest on their site.

It is definitely a documentary that is well worth watching as you get to
see some good clips of the factory as well as some boardroom footage
(with JZD saying asinine at least three times . . .don't know why I
think that's funny).

Michael

Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 15:00:06 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Couple Questions- Coolant System & Idle

As I see it you have 2 control loops, the idle speed control and the
Lambda control. They are indirectly coupled through the interaction of
the motor itself. Since they act differently during warm-up and are
not syncronized to each other you get all kinds of weird effects. Add
to that any unbalance in the motor like a cylinder with low
compression, a dirty fuel injector, a dirty spark plug, etc, and you
have the "hunting" which is amplified in the hysterisis of the
uncoordinated control loops. Everyone seems to neglect the importance
of having a balanced mechanical system FIRST. If the compression of
all the cylinders is not very close (never mind what the actual # is)
it will never idle smooth. The idle system and the Lambda system won't
correct for cylinder imbalance. This is also why vacuum leaks are so
important for smooth idling. They usually tend to cause some cylinders
to run leaner than others adding to the imbalance. Now you start to
realize some of the benefits of an engine management system where all
of these variables can be controlled with some syncronization. I have
seen too many Deloreans where the Lambda isn't even running! It does
make for a smoother idle when warm but a noticable lack of power and a
large stumble on acceleration. I have also seen too many cars without
the plug over the mixture screw. That leans out the motor with "false"
unmetered air, a double whammy. Then they have the air bleed screws
open to try to get a higher idle. Undo all this stuff to get
everything to run right and you see why it happened. The motor runs
rough because it is not in "balance" so the "mechanic" starts playing
with what he can. BTW I also believe too many Deloreans have seals on
the fuel injectors that should be replaced. Once they get hard they do
not seal well and leak "false" air. You can tell easily, the injectors
are so loose they just come right out and the seals are like rock, not
rubber. To set up a Delorean takes some knowledge and a lot of
attention to small details. Once set up they hold their settings well.
That is till something wears out or ages. The fuel system should never
need to be touched if it stays clean. The main reason not to mess with
the mixture screw to "fix" anything.

Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 09:13:28 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: help! newbie getting horrible gas mileage

Christian, Do you know if anyone has messed with the fuel mixture or the
Lambda system/emissions control. Is the 02 sensor still there.Do you smell a
lot of gas fumes.
I can walk you through checking all that if you would want to call.
Minimum tools required.
John Hervey
972-564-9321

Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 20:02:00 +0100
From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>
Subject: Torsion bar torque

Hi all

Does anyone know the torque on the torsion bar with the door closed? How
much force does the bracket at the rear hold. I would be very grateful for
some numbers. Any measuring system is OK - I can convert it to metric :)

Tom Niemczewski
jamesik_at_dml_vp.pl
VIN 6149 (in Poland!)

Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 15:07:17 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

You may need a tune-up and possibly an alignment. Is the inside of
your tailpipe coated with a black, carbony film? Stick your finger in
it (when cold) and see. If so the motor may be set too rich or you
have a missfiring plug. You could also have low compression or the
Lambda system is not functioning. Does the valve bolted onto the right
valve cover buzz and does the buzzing change when you push on the WOT
switch when the engine is warm? Just a couple of things to check.
Driving style is also important. Review your driving technique and
make sure you are in the right gear for the speed you are traveling
at. For freeway driving (over 45-50) you should be in 5th gear.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Christian_Witt" <christian_witt_at_dml_y...>

Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 11:45:12 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 3/16/05 7:21:05 AM Central Standard Time,
christian_witt_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

> On a good week with mostly freeway i get 15-16mpg, on a bad week,
> it's as low as 10-12mpg.
>
> I have a manual transmission, and the car only has 17K original
> miles.
>
> Help!  I don't want to have to sell it :)

You should be getting at least 20mpg if you are mostly freeway.  You said
your car has 17K original miles. does that include 17K original miles on all the
whole ignition and fuel system?  If so you, you need a major tune up (plugs,
wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, check timing and CO).  Also you should pull the
fuel injectors and get them cleaned, as well as checking and replacing all
questionable vacuum hoses.  23 years later, they are probably pretty dry and
hard.  start with all that and we can go from there.

Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 10:13:38 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

In Wisconsin you do not have to remove them at night as long as you
have fog lights they are not illegal.

I know i was pulled over once and had my car inspected.

Mark V

Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 08:14:26 -0800 (PST)
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

Christian,

Unfortunately, there's no easy way to tell you to fix this.  I'm assuming your car has been sitting for some time before you bought it (as almost all DeLoreans have).  You really need to perform a fuel system overhaul.

Start at the tank and work your way back to the engine.  It could be several issues including: overly rich mixture adjustment, sticky fuel distributor plunger, bad injectors, etc.  You really shouldn't drive on it like this for long since that much fuel could damage (and potentially already has) your cat. converter, wash out your cylinders, and more.

Don't worry, though.  When you get the system resolved your mileage will be pretty good.  I regularly get over 20MPG around town, and I've gotten as high as 27.5MPG on level interstate through Indiana.

Also, don't forget about the other systems!  If your car has been sitting long enough to have fuel problems, it's been sitting long enough to have other problems.  Better take a look at cleaning and updating the electrical system thoroughly, coolant hoses and radiator, and all hydraulic systems (ie. brakes, clutch).  As David T. always says, do these correctly one at a time and you'll soon see the reliability you'll enjoy.

Jake Kamphoefner
1063

Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 20:05:37 -0000
From: "delor_01" <JOHN.JORDAN_at_dml_ED.GOV>
Subject: SEDOC

ATLANTA GA WILL AGAIN HAVE A ST. PATRICK'S DAY PARADE.  IT WILL BE ON
SATURDAY THE 19 AT 1pm IN DOWNTOWN ATLANTA.

If you wish to join us in the parade, contact me at 770 714 4850.

re:  John Jordan

Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 15:33:57 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: More on Headlights...

In a message dated 3/15/05 9:24:12 PM Central Standard Time,
deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

> The most successful headlight transplant is from the
> Chevy Citation (1992-1990).  Several of these have
> been done.
>
> Dick Ryan
> VIN 16867

Dick,

Do you mean Chevy Cavalier or Celebrity?  The Citation has been out of
production since 1985.

Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 14:12:27 -0700
From: "Randal Atamaniuk" <martydmc12_at_dml_nucleus.com>
Subject: RE: Johnny Carson Car Update

>From my understanding, Leno doesn't particularly care for the DMC-12, no
matter who the previous owner was.

R.

Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 18:03:06 -0500
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Johnny Carson Car update (the press release)

 THe owner of the Johnny Carson Car just sent me the notice that will go out stating the car is for sale. It includes a brief history, makes mention of the Cleveland DCS Show and the name of hte person selling it and the reason for sale.

You can read about it in the next DCS magazine as I will put it in in its entirety. Its not that long but it is interesting

Hopefully we can get the magazine out before they decide to publically announce the car is for sale
But everyone knows that already

Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 21:18:07 -0000
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>
Subject: Re: Torsion bar torque

Hi Tom.

Nice to see your name come up.

A friend and I did this. We got 65-70 lbft with
the doors open, and 100-105 lbft with the doors closed. Luckily my
friend lifts a lot of weights. He really had to work to hold that
105 lbft. even for a short time.

As you can see, it's a very large torque for such a small item.  Just
for kicks, I also calculated the maximum stress in the torsion bar,
and off the top of my head, I think it came out to 95000 lb/in^2.
Any piece of regular steel would bend and stay bent at that stress.

I went through some trouble to polish out some scratches on my
torsion bars to avoid concentrating that enormous stress.

Rick Gendreau
11472

Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 23:26:59 -0000
From: "endotex23" <endotex23_at_dml_yahoo.com>

> As I see it you have 2 control loops, the idle speed control and the
> Lambda control.<

You have 3. The CI system is a closed loop unto itself, though
mechanical/hydraulic in nature. As I said earlier there are procedures
for identifying the cause of unstable idle and it helps a great deal
if you divide them into hot or cold. Only by doing this can you track
it down without wasting lots of time. It beats struggling with each
loop while they're in action, especially when they may not be cause in
the first place. The bottom line is idle hunting is almost always
mixture related (note I said almost always, there are other causes)
and it's not normal. Those who say it is do so only because they
believe it to be inherent in the design. It's not. It can be fussy due
to the factors you mentioned but it's not something one has to live
with.

As you pointed out, the mixture screw is not a cure-all. Nor does it
really control mixture above idle anyway. It must be set correctly for
many reasons though, one of which is for proper functioning of the
lambda loop. Get it wrong and you'll be killing the effciency of your
cat. That's a good thing if you can pull it off and aren't subject to
emissions testing. As Martin pointed out, a D at around 2-3% CO is a
sweet ride.

Everything else you point out is pretty much true and that's the
beauty of a modern PCU versus the K Jet. No matter what they have
people need to remember there are 6 little engines in there, not one.
Every do a power balance test? It's a commom diag procedure with EFI
and with a little creativity can be done on a K Jet too.

For the guy who is getting poor fuel economy: Did you emissions test
the car? If so did it pass? What are the numbers? EGA will tell you
much about the quality of combustion occuring in your engine,
especially when done upstream of the cat. Take the car to a smog
station or any good shop and have them run a engine out (pre-cat) EGA
on it. If it comes out good it'll narrow the cause for poor fuel
ecomony to very few things.

Don't forget other, non-powerlant, issues like rolling resistance,
speedo error, ect. Remember, there are two variables in the
miles/gallon equation

Greg

Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 17:33:12 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Help

I am posting this for a person who emailed me for help. Please email
him direct if you can help him.

Mark V

frances.paxton_at_dml_farmersinsurance.com

My name is Fran Paxton, I am in a corporate contest scavenger hunt.
They
have given us a camera and told us to take pictures of items on the
scavenger hunt list.  One of the items on our list is to take a picture
of
a Delorean, preferably with me in it.  It has to be taken with the
disposable camera they gave us, and we have to turn in the cameras by
next
Tuesday (they gave them to us today).   I am in Salt Lake City Utah.  Do
you know of anyone within a reasonable driving distance who would let me
take a picture of their car?
I would really appreciate it.
Fran Paxton

Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 18:15:39 -0500
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>
Subject: Engine Support Questions

I have been looking at a DeLorean and have noticed that the owner recently had some extra support pieces welded onto both sides of the main engine support member.  Is it fairly normal for this support to weaken over time and require extra bracing?  It looked like the job was done well and was covered up with a coating to protect the new metal.  The owner said this was just a precautionary measure and not a result of the support actually breaking.  I put a few photos of the area up in the following links...

http://www.rit.edu/~tan5732/delorean/support1.JPG
http://www.rit.edu/~tan5732/delorean/support2.JPG
http://www.rit.edu/~tan5732/delorean/support3.JPG

There are only two pieces welded on, theses are just a few different angles of them.

I would greatly appreciate any help you could offer.

Thanks,
Todd